Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Filling a 6mm hole in a solid wall?

• 20-11-2018 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, i have drilled a couple of holes in a solid wall to hang a shelf and unfortunately need to move it across an inch or 3 :p

id rather fill the holes that are surplus to requirements, i have filled small plaster board holes with filler before but should i be using something else in a solid wall?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Solid Wall?

Any pictures ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

listermint wrote: »
    Solid Wall?

Any pictures ?

sorry not at the moment,

when i mean solid i mean a block wall rather than a stud wall,

its the wall between me and my semi d neighbour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

I usually pack tinfoil into the hole leaving only 4-5mm of an indentation and then fill with a product like polyfiller - Tesco do an exterior/interior filler in a tub that's excellent.

The reason for the tinfoil is it means you've less work feeding the filler into a deep hole and it makes a good foundation.

Cyrus wrote: »
    sorry not at the moment,

when i mean solid i mean a block wall rather than a stud wall,

its the wall between me and my semi d neighbour!

Well then its no different, just use polyfilla. Your covering the plasterboard layer, not the layer behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Well then its no different, just use polyfilla. Your covering the plasterboard layer, not the layer behind it.

but i have drilled into the layer behind, assume that should be filled,

perhaps the suggestion of tinfoil makes most sense

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    but i have drilled into the layer behind, assume that should be filled,

perhaps the suggestion of tinfoil makes most sense

Its a 6mm drill hole, It doesnt need to be filled. Dont worry about that, fill what you can see.

Sand , fill , sand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

You are vastly overthinking this operation.

This is not a structural issue - You are simply effecting a minor cosmetic repair.

It can be difficult to fill a 2-3cm deep narrow hole with a filler - you don't want to fill just the opening and leave a void behind it as it will be weak and crack if anything touches it.

- If you roll tinfoil between your fingers and pack it in with a screwdriver you then instead are left with the much easier job of filling a hole with a depth of your own choice.

Someone else might suggest a better alternative - This works well for me, is quick, simple and results have also been very durable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Its a 6mm drill hole, It doesnt need to be filled. Dont worry about that, fill what you can see.

Sand , fill , sand

Or in my case, fill, sand, fill, sand :D:D

dok_golf wrote: »
    Or in my case, fill, sand, fill, sand :D:D

But I said fill what you can see... Sand fill sand.

, Burnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

But I said fill what you can see... Sand fill sand.

, Burnt.

noted! :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement