Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politcally Incorrect

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,738 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

yoke wrote:
    Your suggestion of “kick the foreigners out, then we can take their houses to fix the housing crisis!†is very similar to saying “let’s forbid anyone with red hair from having children, and then we can take their houses after they die! Thus fixing the housing crisis long term!!â€.

Lmfao, do you realise what this thread is about?
    It's about saying those things that the PC brigade take great offense with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

eagle eye wrote: »
    Ha! Says the person who feels insulted and feels they are being asked to conform, when simply asked to provide evidence of their claims. :pac:

Coming up with ideas/stances but admitting you're not going to google/do research makes you clueless. Which you DID openly admit. (The fact that you appear to be completely unaware of this and think it's something to do with a lack of conformity makes you even MORE clueless, to be honest)
    The only thing I said was that the anti-Brexit side have and continue to try and scare the British public as regards their future. If you haven't heard any of that going on then you are living in cloud cuckoo land.
    As regards somebody saying that the pro-Brexit side haven't lived up to what they promised, all I said about that is that the UK haven't exited yet. When they exit you can call that but not before hand.
    Like it's not any major claim on my part, just obvious stuff and common sense.

Also I never claimed to be pro-Brexit but you and others seem to have formed that opinion despite no such comment being made by me.

Ha! Says the person who feels insulted and feels they are being asked to conform, when simply asked to provide evidence of their claims.
    You did insult but I'm thick skinned enough to not be bothered about it.
    I refuse to go into it because all that will happen with the likes of you who is clearly very one-sided about things is that I'll be quoted and replied to with a bunch of links which I definitely won't read.

You did insult but I'm thick skinned enough to not be bothered about it.
    I refuse to go into it because all that will happen with the likes of you who is clearly very one-sided about things is that I'll be quoted and replied to with a bunch of links which I definitely won't read.
    Thick skinned, but insulted when asked to prove what you state. Thick skinned, but heads off to a different reality by thinking people want you to conform (when just asking you to confirm with even a minimal piece of evidence).
    You are one sided.
    You are thin skinned.
    You have nothing of value to add cause you coward away from debate after making a baseless statement.
    You are added to the ignore list cause, unlike some who can backup their claims and provide some interest from the other side of the fence, you have nothing to say.

• Advertisement

What fence? I am not on any side of the Brexit discussion other than my belief that there should not be another referendum inside a decade.
    I'm just an unbiased observer.

You won't see this anyway as you have me on ignore. Good riddance!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

What fence? I am not on any side of the Brexit discussion other than my belief that there should not be another referendum inside a decade.
    I'm just an unbiased observer.

You won't see this anyway as you have me on ignore. Good riddance!!!

I think it's pretty reasonable to have another referendum if the public attitude has substantially changed. Which it appears to have. I know you think that's outrageous but it's very much so democratic.

batgoat wrote:
    I think it's pretty reasonable to have another referendum if the public attitude has substantially changed. Which it appears to have. I know you think that's outrageous but it's very much so democratic.
    Referendums are a very serious thing. They shouldn't happen very often and when they do the decision made has to have time to be proven as a goid or bad choice. I think you have to wait a decade in this particular instance before another referendum takes place.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭yoke

So is it about saying what’s right, or is it just about saying things that will piss “normal” people off?

You aren’t saying what’s right, and as for pissing people off for the sake of it, I grew up out of that years ago as it wasn’t a challenge. Hint: You can easily piss off anyone just by shouting “idiot!” at them as you pass them on the street. Try it, and you’ll probably grow out of it soon enough too as you realise it’s not really any challenge to piss people off.

The real challenge is in defending yourself (or your viewpoint that everyone is an idiot) after you’ve pissed them off, which is what you aren’t doing very well here.

yoke wrote:
    So is it about saying what’s right, or is it just about saying things that will piss “normal†people off?
    Are you asking a question here? No question mark anywhere.
    What is normal these days? There are people who watch and listen to the media and believe the opinion they give you. Media shouldn't be giving an opinion btw.
    yoke wrote:
    You aren’t saying what’s right, and as for pissing people off for the sake of it, I grew up out of that years ago as it wasn’t a challenge. Hint: You can easily piss off anyone just by shouting “idiot!†at them as you pass them on the street. Try it, and you’ll probably grow out of it soon enough too as you realise it’s not really any challenge to piss people off.
    I'm not afraid to give my opinion in public. Thing is that what I'm saying here for the most part isn't controversial. Funny thing is most of the people I discuss things with are middle income earners and have a lot of similar views to me.
    It's ok to have a bit of fun too. The bit about the non-nationals was just that.
    yoke wrote:
    The real challenge is in defending yourself (or your viewpoint that everyone is an idiot) after you’ve pissed them off, which is what you aren’t doing very well here.
    I never claimed that everybody is an idiot. I said that the electorate as a whole is not that intelligent.
    I think the Brits were stupid to vote to leave Europe. It's a huge risk. It leads to very uncertain times for them and for us in Ireland too. The ordinary man doesn't like uncertainty.
    Thing is that I'm smart enough to know that it's not the end of the world. I'm smart enough to understand how powerful the UK is. I'm calm enough to understand that things could potentially work out very well for them.
    If they are doing ok and Europe isn't then they'll get a very sweet offer from the EU.
    I'm unbiased and I know that it could go badly wrong for them too. If it does then they can run another referendum and look to get back in.
    Now hopefully you can take that all in and not form an opinion that I'm on one side or another because I'm not, I'm just an observer.

I've read articles claiming insane things like that Dover is in big trouble if there is a hard Brexit which is absolute rubbish. I've read that the pharmaceutical industry is ****ed with a hard Brexit which again is ridiculous.

Yes they will lose jobs but they'll lose people as well who will follow the jobs to their new destinations in Europe.

Anyways that's me done as far as Brexit is concerned.
    What I do care about is the PC bull that is going on right now.
    I lived in the US for a couple of years and when they moved over there the most evil man in the world was Yasser Arafat even though he was trying to bring peace to the middle East at the time.
    I'm now living in Ireland and I'm lnot listening to current affairs on Irish TV anymore because it's like the US was back then, and still is, in that you are being force fed and almost brainwashed into a way of thinking. I'm very against that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

that's a whole load of dumb-ass sh!t.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭yoke

- There was a question mark right at the end of my sentence, exactly where it should have been, so yes that was a question.

- If most of the people you discuss things with have similar views to you, that doesn’t mean your views are correct in any way.

- glad to see you agree with me that making unfair laws is never a good idea as it results in an untrustworthy society, it has been done countless times in various countries and always ended badly.

- While I agree that brexit (although a large step in the wrong direction) will not be the end of the world, it is fairly natural for newspapers to blow it up and pretend it’s the end of the world.
    After all, which headline is going to sell more papers - “Britain takes a step in the wrong direction”, or “Theresa May agrees to destroy your country, your job, and your family!”?
    News sites usually exaggerate (and some disreputable sources make stuff up too) since exaggeration/hyperbole tends to sell more stuff, not sure why you expect them to behave differently. Some news sites do make a lot of **** up, but it’s usually easy to see which ones engage in that with a bit of background research as to who works there and who funds them.

One thing really sticks out in your response - you again mention the “PC bull that is going on right now”.
    What exactly do you mean by this?
    Can you give examples please?
    I’d like to understand what you see as “PC bull****”, as that part is not clear to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

Take it politics or after hours lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Paul Lee wrote: »

I agree with the commenter below, by all means have another referendum in twenty years after implementation but not before that. Otherwise we're talking complete garbage.

I can't agree. When was the last abortion referendum? 1983? Society (and everything else) moves faster than that. You can't have a Brexit referendum every five minutes, but waiting twenty years to see if the wishes of the people have changed is madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Paul Lee

RTE is one of the worst most biased possible sources you could have picked. Can you not spend two minutes in self propelled thought?

Oh sorry, silly question.

15% isn't too bad. I would have expected worse. At least there are a few people who don't think that apathy can be classed as a "strategy".

I'll let Seánie McRant do the talking for me: https://youtu.be/pAg2o2kD2j8

RTE is one of the worst most biased possible sources you could have picked. Can you not spend two minutes in self propelled thought?

Ah yes, slams evidence cause it doesn’t suit your argument, and then fails to provide any of your own.
    As for your poor attempt at an insult:
    All viewpoints are welcome, especially uncomfortable ones.
    Yip. Really sums you up. All viewpoints are welcome, as long as they agree with you. I’m sure your meeting is full of enlightened folks like yourself. Hope there’s enough tin foil hats for all attendees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

RTÉ isn’t the source, the Bank of England is, ya know ... the folks in charge of setting monetary policy for a G8 nation.

Can you spend 2 minutes on self propelled reading before dismissing an article?

Poor OP. You must have been banned from People's Republic of Cork.
    They would have given your poll the respect it deserved and voted as you would have liked. I voted no too like most other boardsies.

Actually, haven't tried posting there. Thanks for the tip! :)

• Advertisement

Another thread of mine got locked for "shilling". Is sharing videos that I made shilling? What does that mean? What am I allowed to share? What can't I share?

No wonder Seánie McRant wants to ban the internet!

jimgoose wrote: »
    I don't feel any pressure whatsoever on free speech, unless you're referring to the current zeitgeist against being a prick to women and what-have-you.

Oh and, leaving the EU would be a lip-wobblingly, trouser-flappingly, five-star ocean going fuckin' stupid idea with four funnels and the full complement of lifeboats. :D

So you're all good with Article 13 then? The new EU law that's going to take a sledge hammer to the internet. You and Seánie McRant would get on like a house on fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Put the bottle down OP and go to bed.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Put the bottle down OP and go to bed.

You're right I will. Just finished work now and It's 5am...

If free speech isn't dead, it's gravely ill.

I was going to share a video of Seánie interviewing Grand Torino but alas I'll probably get blocked for doing so. Apparently it's called "shilling"

Is shilling the same as sharing? Does the thing I'm sharing have to conform to certain criteria to not be seen as shilling? Who knows?

I started the thread in which I was "Shilling". People came to it voluntarily having read the topic title. I can't work out where the problem is.

Ironically my channel is about Free Speech. Hilarious.

Here's an interview between Grand Torino and Seánie McRant regarding:

Free Speech

Hopefully it doesn't get banned.

Thanks boards ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭PreCocious

Here's an interview between Grand Torino and Seánie McRant regarding:

Free Speech

Hopefully it doesn't get banned.

Thanks boards ;)

You're a fascist langer and so is that Grand Torino (ex-British Army) prick.

Now let's see how this whole free speech thing works. Boards have been happy to let you post. You've canvassed for free speech. So ...

PreCocious wrote: »
    You're a fascist langer and so is that Grand Torino (ex-British Army) prick.

Now let's see how this whole free speech thing works. Boards have been happy to let you post. You've canvassed for free speech. So ...

I'm a "fascist prick"

I support your right to say that...... i haven't been rude or abusive.

But I'm the fascist.

How does that work? Forgive me if I've missed something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

This thread should be moved to Politics. If it stays in Cork City it will be shut down as it is off-topic. If it is shut down it will further fuel delusions about the end of free speech etc.
    That video is unwatchable. Can anyone summarise it, preferably in English?

• Advertisement

This thread should be moved to Politics.
    Definitely.

Advertisement