Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Property Taxes to Encourage Redistribution of Family Homes

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,058 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Again: paper, paper, and more paper and the realities on the ground do not reflect the legislation.

When you're talking about long term accommodation here there's no real long lease options and there's a huge exposure to small time investors and light-touch / no regulation:

How many properties here are ever inspected?
    How many inspectors exist?
    What enforcement of standards ever happens other than when there's some mess that's ended up in the RTB. There's no proactive work done at all.

were we not talking about experiences of management companies ? i give up :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I give up too!

Clearly the Irish market is absolutely perfect and I am just complaining about nothing.

I should just emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,058 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I give up too!

Clearly the Irish market is absolutely perfect and I am just complaining about nothing.

I should just emigrate.

no one is arguing that it is, however the points you are making are ill informed at best. its like reading a tabloid newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

ELM327 wrote: »
    So free houses to the non-working class solves that how exactly?
    The answer is not social housing.

The answer is population density and public transport to make living and working in the city centre viable. You know, like other capital/large cities. London, Paris, Berlin, NYC etc

Point out where I suggested that there should be free houses for non-workers. Absolutely no where did I suggest that.

seamus wrote: »

Would you be in favour of this? If not, why not? Why would you prefer to pay income tax?

I would be massively opposed to it as I fundamentally disagree with gift/inheritance tax (within the family in particular).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Relative to their profits they aren't. It's just that a small number of MNCs are producing insanely huge profits and we are getting a very small cut of that.

Look, I'm not saying that every country engages in this to some degree. I'm just saying that operating as what is very close to a corporate tax haven within the EU isn't sustainable as an economic model.

Given the amount or GDP that we have, we should be easily able to solve all of these crisis in housing and health but we're only a conduit for much of the GDP.

My concern in the medium term is Ireland ends up on the wrong side of a global tax reform and our boom fizzles out as the loopholes are closed and we end up having squandered the opportunity to have created a genuinely stable economic model.

Yes, good post. I’m a layperson in the areas of taxation and economics but enticing FDI via mostly just via low corporate tax rates has always seemed precarious to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Maybe you aren't very well informed on this stuff but most people do try to minimise their tax bills. Why do you think there are so many tax accounts and practices fully dedicated to tax. Also there is no "doggedly" about it, minimising tax using legal means is very much allowed and only a fool wouldn't do it.

Aaah, you don’t know what ‘doggedly’ means, do you? It means over-determined. You said you wouldn’t care if your visits to a tax advisor meant you only broke even on whatever tax reductions you got after paying them. THAT mindset is not commonplace and, dare I say, I find it pretty childish. You hate tax that much that you’d waste time and effort visiting a tax advisor even if it didn’t save you a penny? There is no way that’s a commonplace attitude and if everyone was as grimly determined as you to cut their tax bill, the tax take would fall. So, where would this shortfall be made up? Would you be happy with seeing projects you wanted to happen be delayed or cancelled because there isn’t enough money in the coffers?

Oh, and it’s been shown a number of times in the thread that Ireland isn’t a high tax country. People have provided evidence. If you want to keep claiming that Ireland is a high tax country, you’ll need to do the same. Otherwise you’re just ranting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I love the reasoning that giving any government more tax money to mismanage will solve all that ails us. Such faith in them, giving them even more resources and responsibility. True patriots.

And lads and lassies, our pensioners aren’t idiots at all. Do not underestimate people with a lifetime of watching political games. Everyone I know approaching pension age looks all around Europe for the most favorable pension tax laws. It’s why Portugal has an influx of grey money. You’re not making changes in a vacuum. Punitive measures here, and those lifetimes of savings will simply exit the country.

Aaah, you don’t know what ‘doggedly’ means, do you? I

Sorry I read it as dodgely, was skimming through posts fairly quickly when I read it. Look the only ending up breaking even was a bit of an exaggeration to get my point across strongly. If from the offset there was no savings to be made it would be a waste of time but if there looked to be savings initially but finished up after working things out there wasn’t then I would still have been happy enough to have done it. It also not a very regular occurrence it’s simething that you do when there is a reason to sort something particular out or structure something that will be ongoing for a while I have done so much reading and research on stuff that I’ve a very good idea myself of things anyway without having to pay anyone except if something was particularly complicated.

Oh, and it’s been shown a number of times in the thread that Ireland isn’t a high tax country. People have provided evidence. If you want to keep claiming that Ireland is a high tax country, you’ll need to do the same. Otherwise you’re just ranting.

These comparisons are dragged down by the fact Ireland taxes lower earners so little and they make up a lot of the workforce. A middle to decent income earner will pay tax right up there with the highest in the world and get very very little in return in comparison to these higher taxes countries. If you take into account other very high taxes like vrt, excise etc coupled with the fact you pay for services that higher taxes counties provide for free and many lower taxes counties also provide for free such as the Uk you very quickly end up with a situation where a person on any sort of s half decent wage handed over massive amounts of their salary in different taxes and then pay for health insurance and multiple other services that would be free in many other even lower taxes countries. For the level of services we get we are taxed very high.

A significant increase in the point where the higher rate of tax kicks in and a reduction in the higher rate and things like scrapping CAT would easily be covered by bringing more people into the tax net and getting a little more out of those who pay almost nothing. Even though most hate usc a lot of people see the benefit that a lot more people pay it and people disagree with removing lower earners from it rather than keeping it for lower earners and reducing taxation for medium earners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Aaah, you don’t know what ‘doggedly’ means, do you? It means over-determined. You said you wouldn’t care if your visits to a tax advisor meant you only broke even on whatever tax reductions you got after paying them. THAT mindset is not commonplace and, dare I say, I find it pretty childish. You hate tax that much that you’d waste time and effort visiting a tax advisor even if it didn’t save you a penny? There is no way that’s a commonplace attitude and if everyone was as grimly determined as you to cut their tax bill, the tax take would fall. So, where would this shortfall be made up? Would you be happy with seeing projects you wanted to happen be delayed or cancelled because there isn’t enough money in the coffers?

I would also be of that mindset. I hate paying tax when it is being so inefficiently. If I can find a tax advisor that will either save me a small amount of money or balance out. I may consider it(depending on effort and how much I can save). Another aspect to consider, is that your getting a service where your building up contacts and potentially can get other advice when your in there

The effective tax rates are not as high as the headline rates however once you start earning decent money. We are more expensive than other countries.

• Advertisement
Advertisement