Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adios Eir BB!

• 20-11-2018 5:02pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Discovered I was out of contract and was being charged €55 a month for bb plus offpeak calls (don't use landline).

Got a 12 month deal for u/l bb €30 p/m incl. line rental and local and national calls anytime. Same line - just hook up a new router.

Was going to talk to them but the wait time was estimated at 35 mins on the phone. To hell with that.

They've even closed their section on boards.

They are a complete and utter joke of an organisation in my view.

p.s. I'm suing them under GDPR for that data breach too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

So who did you switch to for 30e per month?

And what did they breach?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

BArra wrote: »
    So who did you switch to for 30e per month?

Pure Telecom - same line etc. Different router. Cooling off period there if needed.

They didn't protect my data sufficiently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

BArra wrote: »

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/stolen-eir-laptop-decrypted-by-faulty-update-37000-customers-affected-by-data-breach-863759.html

Here was me thinking this was about another landlord getting out of the short term letting game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

How did cancel your eir broadband? I tried ringing them but couldn't get through, just put on hold. I tried the complaints form on the website and got no reply. The web chat guys can do f*ck all and tell you to phone 1905. I'm resorting to sending them a letter and having to send back the modem using the freepost address on their website.

I just got the last bill of my 12 month contract so going to cancel the direct debit as soon as money comes out of my account. I don't trust them not to charge me again for next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

You can also cancel in the myeir web portal. Eir won't accept letter or fax. I had that discussion in their forum with them.

It's myeir or their cancellation team only, which is a joke.

If you send a letter, make it registered and keep a printout of the tracking information once delivered .

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Marlow wrote: »
    You can also cancel in the myeir web portal. Eir won't accept letter or fax. I had that discussion in their forum with them.

It's myeir or their cancellation team only, which is a joke.

If you send a letter, make it registered and keep a printout of the tracking information once delivered .

/M

eir might well not want letters to cancel, but they have no option but to accept a cancellation done by this means. Their snail-mail address is provided as a means of contact on their web-page.

Yes, register the letter and keep details, as proof.
    Also cancel any DD in relation to it, ensuring that all amounts owing are paid.

Where can you cancel on the myeir portal? The only option I see is for moving house.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭matzen

Was looking for new broadband provider as well and considered eir, but after reading the horror stories on their boards page I stayed well clear of them. And now they have closed their page...just says it all.

Ended up with Vodafone. 12 month contract broadband only as don't use landline. Free for first 6 months and €45 per month for the last 6. Fair deal.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If you are out of contract you don't need to cancel with Eir. Just supply the new provider with your full details and they take over the line at the exchange, which hopefully means no down time between providers.

The transfer and line takeover should be pretty seamless. Setting up a new router is just plug and play I hope.

If you are out of contract you don't need to cancel with Eir. Just supply the new provider with your full details and they take over the line at the exchange, which hopefully means no down time between providers.

The transfer and line takeover should be pretty seamless. Setting up a new router is just plug and play I hope.

You do have to give them 30 days notice and you do have to return modem or they will charge 70 quid. In my case, I'm moving house so it's not as simple as changing supplier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

recyclebin wrote: »
    Where can you cancel on the myeir portal? The only option I see is for moving house.

Can we get an answer for this?

recyclebin wrote: »
    You do have to give them 30 days notice and you do have to return modem or they will charge 70 quid. In my case, I'm moving house so it's not as simple as changing supplier.

Not according to the new supplier. I'll leave them fight it out either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Not according to the new supplier. I'll leave them fight it out either way.

It's your contract. The new supplier has no contract nor obligation to another provider (like Eir!).

The reason, that a seemless provider movement is possible, is because the wholesale network (OpenEIR) has a function for that. That's about it. But only when it's the same premise and the same network.

What however happens with YOUR previous contract with YOUR previous provider is entirely YOUR problem. The same are the charges incurred if you don't take care of it. Your new provider will not fight that fight for you. They can't. They have no contractual agreements to do so. If they told you different, then they told you porkies to get your business.

When Eir for example give you an amount of money towards changing from another provider, then you still need to pay those bills. And they won't give you cash either. They will give you credit against your bill.

/M

I'll check this out, and advise.

Marlow wrote: »
    It's your contract. The new supplier has no contract nor obligation to another provider (like Eir!).

The reason, that a seemless provider movement is possible, is because the wholesale network (OpenEIR) has a function for that. That's about it. But only when it's the same premise and the same network.

What however happens with YOUR previous contract with YOUR previous provider is entirely YOUR problem. The same are the charges incurred if you don't take care of it. Your new provider will not fight that fight for you. They can't. They have no contractual agreements to do so. If they told you different, then they told you porkies to get your business.

When Eir for example give you an amount of money towards changing from another provider, then you still need to pay those bills. And they won't give you cash either. They will give you credit against your bill.

/M

I'm not in contract.

From the Eir BB site.....

"Switching to another Service Provider

There are a few important things that you need to be aware of if you are switching your services to a new service provider:

You are obliged under the terms of your contract with eir to provide 30 days' notice of your intention to switch service provider.
    Customers who switch service provider without giving eir 30 days' notice of their intention to switch will not be charged a penalty fee.
    You may currently be in a service contract with eir; if you choose to switch provider while you are still in the minimum period of your contract you will be liable for early cease fees and charges. If you are unsure whether or not you are still in the minimum period of your contract:
    - You will have received a letter from eir informing you of the terms of contract when you last entered into a contract
    - You can call an eir customer service advisor at 1800 504 110.

We want to make sure you do not suffer a break in your service. To avoid this please read below.

You can give your notice to Switch provider by either one of the following methods:

Letter
    Telephone".

New service begins between 9am an 1.00pm on Friday. Modem is on the way.

p.s. No mention of the old Eir fibre bb modem - they are welcome to it however :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

If you're out contract, just switch and port the number (even if you subsequently ditch the line).

If Eir send any penalty bills, contact ComReg.

Normally when you port out, you will get a letter + a box to return the modem - it all happens automatically.

BB went down this morning. Number must have ported automatically.

I have the new router now also. Hopefully it's just plug and play.......

You should get some kind of notification from Eir in terms of a letter or a box to return the modem. Just make sure you follow the instructions on that to avoid any fees.

The broadband usually ports pretty much instantly.

If you're still using the PSTN (normal phone network) for voice service, sometimes that can take a little longer to setup. It's just that the technology involved is a lot older in some cases and runs updates to service profiles in batches i.e. it doesn't do it in real-time, but runs an update ever X days.

AFAIK, the only company still using the PSTN for voice on new FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) connections is Sky. The rest of them, including Eir retail, seem to use VoIP from the modem/router/gateway they provide.

Thanks EdgeCase and to everybody else who has commented here.

I'll hook everything up (will take 30 seconds) and let you know was it all seamless after the w/e.

All done in a few minutes yesterday evening. New bb seems much the same as the old bb, only much better value.

• Advertisement

You're still having OpenEir for the "access network" - bringing the signal from your house to the network and that tends to determine the speed.

Your traffic is then handed over to your network of choice and travels onwards on their infrastructure. That usually happens at multiple data centres / exchanges. They either own their own infrastructure, or they’re leasing capacity on various fiber networks for national and international connectivity.

So it’s not just Eir resold.

I'm told the only hardware change is the new modem. All the other stuff is exactly as was. The line etc. was ported electronically.

So if the new isp is leasing that stuff from OpenEir that's absolutely fine.

Letter arrived looking for the old router. I'll drop it in. Didn't mention the charger however.

Advertisement