Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage for self-employed/limited company

• 20-11-2018 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Can anyone help on this one. I’m a director in a limited company. It’s only a small family business that I work 9-6 5 days a week. My partner and I wanted to apply for a mortgage and then I heard how much harder it is for someone who’s self employed. Does it make any difference if the company is limited?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Nope.

You'll need P60's fro the employer though to prove your income.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

If you're a director with over 25% shareholding you will need to provide 3 years audited accounts and 12 months business bank statements as well as last 3 years P60's.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Wiggles88

Out of curiosity, assuming you have the 3+ years of accounts etc. is the mortgage process much the same after that point or is it still that bit more difficult for a contractor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

Wiggles88 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, assuming you have the 3+ years of accounts etc. is the mortgage process much the same after that point or is it still that bit more difficult for a contractor?

The hardest part is getting to the stage where you've been approved. Typically lenders will take an average of the three years' income and use that for salary. But if you're a contractor they may ask to see how long your current contract is for and try to establish what your prospects are like if your current contract is finishing up soon. So someone who's been contracting for 15 years without a break will have an easier time than someone who only started contracting three years ago.

Once you've been approved, the process thereafter is the same for everyone.

Advertisement