Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should motorway speed limits be lowered to 90 kph?

• 20-11-2018 9:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1

Troll

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

130 kph dry, 110 kph wet. Works in France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

Never................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Can't see post counts easily on the touch site but I didn't need that to know it was your first post ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

The only place you can do 120kmh is on one of our motorways which are in good shape mostly and the safest roads in the country to drive on.

It's not speed in itself that's dangerous. It's the innappropriate use of speed, ie too fast for the conditions that are the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ongarite

Pity there is no unthank button.
    Lowering speed limits won't stop drivers from being assholes or being totally unaware of their surroundings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Don't feed the troll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

The speed limit is not the problem, some drivers are the problem. Some take took much risk and they should be banned from road for a period until such time as they resit test and prove they can behave correctly or risk loosing license permanently. Others are lacking in confidence and ability that in reality they shouldn't be allowed on the motorway until they have proven they are ready through more rigorous testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Dear troll... The bridge under which you normally reside is being crossed wholesale by billy goats gruff at the moment, while you leave it unattended worrying about the "insanity" of the safest roads in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

He's back again. Poor effort OP 0/10.

Snotty wrote: »
    Don't feed the troll

Too late!

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    130 kph dry, 110 kph wet. Works in France.

Putting too much interpretation on the part of drivers and enforcers into it. Black and white works far better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

90 kph is sufficient to complete journeys on time and in a relaxed frame of mind.

Maybe trying venturing outside of your county for a broader understanding of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Patww79 wrote: »
    Putting too much interpretation on the part of drivers and enforcers into it. Black and white works far better.

I believe they have digital speed limit signs which change depending on road conditions.
    Or, I could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Is there a newsletter to which one could subscribe?

Not your ornery onager

rizzodun wrote: »
    I believe they have digital speed limit signs which change depending on road conditions.
    Or, I could be wrong.

If there were enough of them then that would do spot on indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blackbox

If you travel 100 km of road at 120 kph it will take 50 minutes, if you travel the same road at 90 kph it will take 67 minutes, a mere 17 minutes more to save your life.

You state this as if it was a fact. It isn't.

The best advice is that you should avoid crashing. A crash at 90 km/h can be fatal.

Drive safely.

Patww79 wrote: »

I follow a simple rule when driving in France.

Motorway, dry an sunny - drive at 130kph

Motorway, raining or wet road - drive at 110kph

The big dial behind the steering wheel is invaluable in these circumstances.

I follow a simple rule when driving in France.

Motorway, dry an sunny - drive at 130kph

Motorway, raining or wet road - drive at 110kph

The big dial behind the steering wheel is invaluable in these circumstances.

You could have wet dry wet dry in the space of about 5km here. Signs would be needed to take the interpretation out of it.

It's not the change in speeds I was talking about so you can shove the big dial up your hole smartarse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Increasingly, modern cars are very fuel efficient at motorway speeds, far more so than most of them are in city driving.

Also the motorway network in Ireland is by far the safest place to drive.

If you want to reduce road deaths (which are actually quite low by international standards anyway) work on engineering solutions for the poorer quality N roads, providing regular and predictable passing lanes and also eliminating dangerous junctions and so on.

The only areas of motorway that could do with variable speed limits are the M50 in Dublin, the very busy parts of the approach roads to Dublin and also the N40 (soon to be M40) around Cork. They could do with lower speed limits at peak times to prevent waves of brakes that cause issues but then if the limits aren’t enforced they won’t work anyway.

The long distance motorway network is absolutely fine at 120.

What should be enforced are things like tail gating, misuse of lanes and dangerous merging.

Your proposal would likely cause nothing but frustration, more pollution and render the motorway network useless due to long journey times. Not to mention getting any politician who implemented such a thing run out of office!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

90kph on our motorways would feel like your going backwards. 120kph limit is perfect in my opinion as beyond that it starts to get into the realms where many drivers aren't comfortable or competent.

Drive to the conditions...its that simple

As I said, works in France. Irish drivers don’t like to follow the rules. Seems to get people all riled up....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

As I said, works in France. Irish drivers don’t like to follow the rules. Seems to get people all riled up....

French drivers follow the rules ?!!
    Must have been an odd part of France you were in!

France is very much like Ireland in terms of rule following behavior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

120 kph is a dangerously fast speed.
    Lorries are limited to 90 kph and buses with standing passengers are limited to 65 kph.

90 kph is sufficient to complete journeys on time and in a relaxed frame of mind.

If you travel 100 km of road at 120 kph it will take 50 minutes, if you travel the same road at 90 kph it will take 67 minutes, a mere 17 minutes more to save your life.

Overtaking lorries which are travelling at 90 k.p.h at 120 k.p.h is insane.

Speeding fines need to be increased with instant bans for braking limits.

We have done it for drink driving just over the limit so we can do it for speeding just over the limit too.

Slow down, save fuel and saves lives.

30 k.p.h less won't kill you but excess speed will. :)

Fcuk off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Absolute nonsense from the OP. If 120 km/h is dangerous to you then you shouldn't be on the motorway in the first place.

If anything the standard limit should be increased to 140.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

100 km/hr is ok, 90 km/hr feels like you are stopped.
    120 is pointless, but that is only my opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement