Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tow bar or not tow bar?

Options
  • 20-11-2018 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Has anyone here got a view on the merits of installing a tow bar based bike rack versus the roof rack based option? The former seems more practical but the downside is a tow bar is just plain ugly and I’d prefer not to permanently install one. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to find a bike rack that mounts direct onto the rear of the car (Volvo v40).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭seaviewphotos

I had to make that choice a few years ago and went with the roof rack option, I'm not regretting it but next time I'd go for the tow bar option. Main issue is the amount of noise that the roof bars make and that's without bikes. It also effects your fuel consumption. Mounting them on the tow bar carrier is also a lot easier. Biggest advantage of a tow bar is when people bump you from behind, saved my rear bumper on a number of occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Casula wrote: »
    .. but the downside is a tow bar is just plain ugly....
    You can get detachable tow bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Yeah I got a detachable one in Halfords for about €80. Takes all of about five seconds to put on and take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Casula wrote: »
    Has anyone here got a view on the merits of installing a tow bar based bike rack versus the roof rack based option? The former seems more practical but the downside is a tow bar is just plain ugly and I’d prefer not to permanently install one. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to find a bike rack that mounts direct onto the rear of the car (Volvo v40).

This will mount on any car.

https://www.seasucker.com/products/talon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭plodder

And with a towbar, whether detachable or not, you can get a completely secure rack that will take two bikes, doesn't touch the car bodywork anywhere, and which takes another 5 seconds to put on, for around 50 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

plodder wrote: »
    And with a towbar, whether detachable or not, you can get a completely secure rack that will take two bikes, doesn't touch the car bodywork anywhere, and which takes another 5 seconds to put on, for around 50 euro.

Exactly this. I keep a 'scissors' rack in the boot fulltime and it's hardly noticeable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yeah I got a detachable one in Halfords for about €80. Takes all of about five seconds to put on and take off.
    does it need a plate or similar attached to the car first, for it to attach to?
    i.e. would you need to get the plate, the detachable towbar, and then the rack?

i've an octavia, which doesn't like your standard bike rack because of the way the glass is bonded to the frame of the boot lid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The towbar is attached to a draw bar frame that is bolted onto the chassis of the car. The draw bar would have to be purchased too. Normally you get the lot together.
    You would also need an electric socket as it is a risk in travelling and obscuring the rear lights and you could get penalty points. It is a bigger issue on the continent I think. Saying that I have never used the socket!

I paid about €450 to buy and fit a towbar with socket. The labour is not a cheap job as the mechanic has to connect up the computer system to the car. It is not like with old cars where you could connect a wire into a rear tail light.

You would want to be hanging onto your car for a few years. If buying new get the garage to put it on. They might do it for free.

I was rear ended at traffic lights before, got a right bang. To look at the car there was no damage, only the tow bar was bent.

The big issue with putting the bikes on the roof is that so many car parks have height barriers and underground car parks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Problem with the tow bar is that when you do have bikes on it, it's very likely you won't be able to access the boot if you have a hatchback or estate. It may sound like something you can live with, but quickly gets to be a pain.

Re the sound of roof mounted racks, yes, it can be an issue. I leave one of mine on permanently and there's no whistling from it. But when I have to carry a second bike the noise from the other rack is a pain, even at relatively low speeds. The reason is because of how some of the mountings are reversed in order to use on the other side of the car so aren't as aerodynamic. So I take that one off once I'm finished with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Hurrache wrote: »
    Problem with the tow bar is that when you do have bikes on it, it's very likely you won't be able to access the boot if you have a hatchback or estate. It may sound like something you can live with, but quickly gets to be a pain.

I got one recently and made sure to get a tilt-able one for this reason
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/thule-9708-hangon-4-bike-towball-carrier-aw17/rp-prod165295

That carries 4 bikes, I'll probably have a 5th bike to deal with soon so intend to get a seasucker to put the last bike on the roof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭comanche_cor

I have used roof rails and thule bike rack. It works fine - the first few times are a bit nerve racking. However it works.

My issue with it has been carparks & road tolls. Car parks is especially annoying - going in to Djouce had mean taking bike off at entrance, parking car and running back for bike after. Then the same in reverse!

One other issue I had was when wrecked after a ride I took my bike off an let it bounce off the ground (hardtail mountain bike), it bounced a little too much and pedal made a small dent on side of car - never again!!

I changed car recently and it has a tow bar in place, I will be switching to it as its just less hassle IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Hurrache wrote: »

Decent tow mounted bike racks tilt down to allow access to the boot - works for estates and hatchbacks.

I would go for the tow bar mounted option. I have a Thule one that takes 3 bikes with an additional bracket that can take a fourth. It’s lockable and feels 100% safe and secure. Tow bars are not cheap though (detachable or permanent) so I’d only go down that route if you intended to keep your car for a year or more.

I paid extra for a tow bar that I can detatch and haven’t removed it once since having it fitted 18 months ago.

This is a decent three bike option:
    https://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=15551&categoryId=323323&langId=-1&productId=172555&storeId=11101

Or I have this one that you can buy a fourth bike bracket for:
    https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-racks/rear-mounted-bike-racks/thule-euroclassic-g6-929-bike-carrier

@Takca

Is it easy to push the bike rack back up with the bikes on? Do you have to push a bolt through to close it? Just wondering if 1 person could do it easily.

I do find it awkward not being able to open the booth on mine but otherwise the towbar option is great.

They are very handy to fold up and put in the booth too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Cant open the boot with rack or boot or towbar.

Roof bars and rack way forward.
    Awful handy to have a set anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Cant open the boot with rack or boot or towbar

Any decent tow bar mounted rack will tilt down to allow full boot access

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

If you've an Octavia, you can access the boot from the back seat anyway magic hatch in arm rest...

letape wrote: »
    Any decent tow bar mounted rack will tilt down to allow full boot access

Ah I stand corrected.

Still roof bars are transferable with a new fit kit for 50 quid.
    Tow bar itself about €150 any needs to be fitted. Car specific.

I have both as I've a trailer and I kayak....usually fire the bike in the boot!!

But I prefer bike on roof when I can't

Roof bars are not always transferrable. I had to get rid of mine as they weren't wide enough for the newer car. Roof bars come in 3 different width sizes - A, B and C.

Roof bars are not always transferrable. I had to get rid of mine as they weren't wide enough for the newer car. Roof bars come in 3 different width sizes - A, B and C.

I assume you held onto them in case your next car is narrower.

3 different lengths depend on the width at attachment points. Not the age of the car???

There's actually 3.5 different thule lengths. But a small bit of doctoring means 2 will fit all cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

@Takca

Is it easy to push the bike rack back up with the bikes on? Do you have to push a bolt through to close it? Just wondering if 1 person could do it easily.

I'd say its a 2 person job, I have managed it solo but its not simple to hold the bike up while opening the bolts and then you have to let the bike lean all the way forward to rest on the ground while you access the boot.

To operate the tilt you loosen 2 bolts(no tools required) at the base of the unit (you have to get down a reach under the bikes), they then slide up so don't actually remove them fully.
    I do find it awkward not being able to open the booth on mine but otherwise the towbar option is great.

I've never actually had to fold it, I usually just put it in the back of the car(or leave it on the towbar) but I took a pic of it folded if it helps, you have to remove 2 bolts to do it (again no tools required)

A tool is required to tighten/loosen the lock onto the towbar, I guess it just needs to be a bit tighter then some of the 2 bike models that can be attached by hand.

This guy does a good demo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anfYIc_-VGA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

we've a 4-bike towbar mounted rack, it's great. Doesn't tilt but you can access the boot via the back seats anyway so I make sure anything we need to access while driving is at that end of the boot. I also have a roof mounted Thule carrier but on a people-carrier the roof is quite high and it's a pain getting the bike up onto it.

I assume you held onto them in case your next car is narrower.

3 different lengths depend on the width at attachment points. Not the age of the car???

I sold them and the roof box. The newer car like a lot of suvs would be too high with a roof box for car park barriers.

The age of the car doesn't matter. A Micra would probably need A bars, a saloon might need B bars and an MPV the C bars - C being the widest.

Some newer models may be adjustable to account for all sizes. I don't know.

I thought about getting the platform racks but they are heavy and a storage problem.

I like that Thule one linked above as it has the number plate and electrics ready to go. Not bad at €200. They'd last a lifetime. Ideal for the family trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

@Takca

on mine it's easy anyway.

I agree with all those saying towbar over roof rack - I went roof rack mounted for a few years but switched to tow bar maybe 2 or 3 years ago. it helps that I also tow a trailer from time to time so need a tow bar on my car and any potential upgrade anyway.

The towbar is attached to a draw bar frame that is bolted onto the chassis of the car.

I was rear ended at traffic lights before, got a right bang. To look at the car there was no damage, only the tow bar was bent.

This is the one significant problem with towbars. What has happened here is that all of the damage was transmitted directly to the chassis so it could be twisted or cracked and there's nothing visible. You then end up with poor tracking and handling and extra tyre wear and stuff. Always worth doing some extra inspection when buying a second-hand car with a towbar.

It would be examined in an nct anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I've had both over the years and would have a preference for the tow hitch mounted. Although once your bike(s) are external to your car they can be damaged with a moments inattention.

If going with tow bar, get one with light board. They are needed in some European countries and in the event of an accident here you'll be trying to explain that the three bike didn't obscure your rh indicator. As they say once you are explaining you are losing...

About 7 years ago I noticed a crack on seat tube of my Trek close to bb. Lifetime warranty, happy day new frame on way was my thinking. Put bike on roof rack and headed off to lbs via the M8 Watergrasshill toll. Let's just say I had some difficulty trying to explain to lbs the meticulous way I had maintained my bike and how Trek should replace frame after its coming together with the height restriction barrier at about 70km/h...

It would be examined in an nct anyway.

Wouldn't necessarily be spotted but it would likely fail on tracking and brake imbalance issues.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Wouldn't necessarily be spotted but it would likely fail on tracking and brake imbalance issues.

Quite possible. I remember that car gave me brake imbalance issues at the nct. Even had the brake pada replaced and there was an issue.

I settled the claim without going through his insurance as didn't want the hassle, though we did report it to the garda station. Goes to show the importance of getting the car fully checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Top Tip: If you're getting a tow bar bike rack, make sure it fits in the car's boot so that you can store it away to prevent it from being stolen when parked up while out cycling. (Most can be removed with a spanner).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

This an interesting thread, I only recently bit the bullet on having a tow bar fitted to my Octavia so that I could use a bike carrier- the Octavia doesn't take a hatchback mounted carrier and I didn't fancy lifting heavy bikes up onto a roof rack either. I got a Witter detachable swan neck tow bar fitted which is a very neat and tidy solution. You wouldn't know there is a towbar fitted when the tow ball is removed and I will only be using the towbar for the carrier anyway. I went for a Pro-user Daimant SG2 2 bike carrier- expensive but nice piece of kit. It tilts back to allow full access to boot and is easy to tilt back up too. Early days yet but I'm, very pleased with the set up- very sturdy and no worries driving over ramps or on country roads, there was no movement at all.

Advertisement