Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tow bar or not tow bar?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Will be getting a detachable tow hitch out on my car hopefully. Can get one W that ticks away and has a cover for the gao so it looks like it’s not there. More secure, easier to get the bike on, better fuel economy, less road noise, less chance of damaging the car or bike with barriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Will be getting a detachable tow hitch out on my car hopefully. Can get one W that ticks away and has a cover for the gao so it looks like it’s not there. More secure, easier to get the bike on, better fuel economy, less road noise, less chance of damaging the car or bike with barriers.

More expensive that roof mounted but fully agree it’s the best option - for all the reasons you gave!

It’s also more flexible and you can securely carry up to four bikes. Great if you have kids and want to take their bikes too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

This an interesting thread, I only recently bit the bullet on having a tow bar fitted to my Octavia so that I could use a bike carrier
    mind me asking how much it cost in total?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Removable hitch with a decent bike carrier( like Pro-user Daimant SG2 2 bike carrier) is going to cost about 800 fitted.

You could probably do for 500 with Halford carrier and a non removable hitch.

I have other uses for hitch so it was an easy decision but a lot of people will not pay 500-800. You can't really fit hitch yourself with insurance requirement on competency of fitter and modern electrical auto systems being anything but simple., so a bottom price on supply and fit is about 300.

Looking at photo of Pro-user Daimant SG2 2 bike carrier posted above, the light board should be a legal requirement. Lighting of vehicle regulations are due a pretty major overhaul other than that anyway. I sure Shane is all over it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Total cost was €850, not a cheap solution by any means but I plan to hold onto the car for a few years and hopefully will get lots of use from the bikes. I was always envious when I saw other people with their bike carriers and all the freedom it gave them, especially on holidays but now I'm a member of the club! Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i *usually* only need to carry one bike, which goes in the boot. couldn't justify an €850 spend on the few occasions we'd need to take two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

On resale some people could be suspicious of a towbar. They might think that you travelled the country pulling a horsebox or trailer with your Nissan Micra. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

On resale some people could be suspicious of a towbar. They might think that you travelled the country pulling a horsebox or trailer with your Nissan Micra. :eek:
    It's easy enough to tell by looking at the ball on the hitch whether it has had heavy use. One that has been pulling trailers/horseboxes etc. will be well worn and shiny whereas one used for a bike rack won't be.

In saying that, it's rare now to see a car pulling a horsebox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Any recommendations Dublin/Meath for towbar supply and fit?

weirdest towing manouevre i've seen was a golf towing a BMW 3 series on the M50 at 100km/h. the slight climb northbound after blanchardstown had it blowing smoke like an old tractor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

pissed wrote: »
    Any recommendations Dublin/Meath for towbar supply and fit?
    I've used Mr Bullbar in Santry. Happy enough with service but have no experience of anyone else so can't really compare.

http://www.mrbullbar.com/

Advertisement