Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghostbusters Afterlife (Jason Reitman)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Yeh, the kids and I are looking forward to it. I think it looks like it will be fun for those who don’t take it too seriously.

Like the fawlty towers episode that was banned ? I think you guys underestimate how sensitive some toxic online community’s are, South Park wouldn’t be able to start today, Trey Parker says as much. Along with Rick and Morty ,they are exceptions , not the rule.

it’s extremely easy to get on the wrong side of these mobs. Ask Liam Neeson when he admitted something that I’m sure many have thought at some stage after being on the end of a crime from another race. People didn’t care of context, the mob wanted his head for speaking honestly on a topic that seems to trigger people into hysteria.

In the 70s and 80s there just wasn’t anywhere near the danger and pushback as there is nowadays with many groups of people looking for reasons to be upset. As such, the appetite or willingness of studios to create dangerous stuff is nearly non existent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah now let's not pretend South Park came out to a bevvy of praise, or even apathetic shoulder shrugs. Or was one of many like it - it was as exceptional as Rick and Morty or Always Sunny are now; boundary pushing shows beyond a middle ground and mainstream. But It was subjected to a tonne of outrage and remember it well from the time of those first seasons. Plenty of radio, TV and talking heads decrying this obscene, transgressive comedy. Maybe these days the internet might have changed the lyrics, but the song remains the same.

Something like South Park could absolutely be made today, the only reason it wouldn't would be because the zeitgeist of humour has moved on from the style of the late 90s. The two aforementioned shows being a good example of what flies (extreme nihilism in the case of Rick and Morty). And the only reason nobody talks about South Park is cos, well, it's old hat now. Mainstream really.

Heck. The SIMPSONS was transgressive and caused outrage fadó fadó.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I would disagree that most people would react the same way Liam Neeson did by not just wanting revenge on the perpetrator of a crime but wanting revenge on anyone who happened to be the same race.

But bringing the thread back on topic, I watched the new trailer and completely forgot that the two movies this is sequelising were weird comedies, this looks neither weird nor funny. In fact it looks very serious.

Southpark did cause a lot of unrest for good reason as it was tearing up everything. You could nearly deduce that the fact these modern shows don’t really have comparable global outrage suggests they aren’t as radical or bold as the likes of southpark. Kind of like how Father ted was too dangerous for Rte but any show slagging off religion today wouldn’t seem edgy.

I never said “most” would agree with Neeson. He admitted something that I believe many people have had in moments . As John Barnes said, the real racists aren’t stupid enough to say it in public.

Back to the movie, not sure how you managed to think the movie looks serious or more serious then the originals. The first movie was actually quite dark at times, only watched it recently with the kids . That scene where Dana is dragged into the kitchen with the monster groping her while in the couch is very creepy!

The major humour outlet was Murray, I’m presuming this is passing to Rudd. That said, they won’t replace Rick Moranis character who nearly stole the show “ok so who brought the dog” !!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Would it surprise Drumpot I don't agree with you? 🤣 Have you watched Always Sunny or R&M? The very first season of the former had an episode where a main character tried to pickup one night stands at an abortion clinic, playing both sides of the protests there. It never pulled back (and I don't even like either show!)

I think the difference you speak of comes down to the reality that there are 35 billion shows on TV any given week now; it takes a lot to be "viral" these days and stand out in the era of "content"... unlike South Park where it was part of regularly scheduled network TV and a limited menu. Plus, and it's a big point IMO - cartoons then were still "for children". Nobody bats an eyelid at R&M cos culturally it's accepted cartoons can be for adults (heck if anything it has looped back on itself; grown adults now watching sequel shows of HeMan). Salty cartoons are just yeah, so what these days.

Sorry though folks. Yes. Ghostbusters.

Thing is about this trailer. It's all about sequels and the problem making them. Look at Ghostbusters 2; it basically tried to do all the same things again and people hated it. It was sloppy and tired. That's not to say you CAN'T do a sequel that clones the beats of the first film, but by their nature they can be a bit of a Lose Lose with the concept cos the familiarity is both a good and bad thing.

So if you gotta do a sequel (and Hollywood says we do), at least the swerve here appears to be into something genetically tangential to the property - outcast kids investigate spookiness in Small Town America. Goosebumps with proton packs. Ok, it's not tonally similar to the original movies but IMO conceptually it fits, and is a recognisable genre that can slot in (as opposed to whatever the F the 2016 was trying to be). I'm definitely a bit more engaged with the proposition than most shameless nostalgia trawls that happen now

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭daheff

Now this looks like it's got quite a bit of potential. Not like the WOKE version made a few years back.

F**k it I'm in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's Aykroyd. Look at the name of the book shop. Same one he owned in GBII.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

• Advertisement

It was definitely Akroyd speaking, and the sign in the window read "... occult books", presumably then "Ray's Occult Books" from Ghostbusters 2.

peter could be working in the shop . PETER COULD BE WORING IN THE SHOP, don't ruin this for me

Tá sé wrong

an older peter venkman & the other survining cast members are in the new hasbro toy range with the new cast so it looks like they are all back

Oh don't worry they're all back; I read a while ago that all three remaining cast members were not only appearing but (apparently) going to be taking part in some ghost-busting of their own. Presumably as some last-act appearance of the cavalry, then the kids find themselves out of their depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I was a bit on the fence with the first trailer. Probably unfairly. Thought it leaned a bit too hard into the whole "Strange Things" vibe. I'm sure some is down to editing and some of it accurately reflects the tone and that's OK. I think the C19 delay may actually have helped in this regard. Put a little distance between them.

So I like the look of this. Like that it's not hauling the old team out (Apart from cameos). I do like the fact that they went with Egon's family as opposed to a wacky Venkmann (Murray) family - That is not to say anything bad about Bill Murray. He is a God :)

I think it will be a modest success critically and commercially. While it probably won't make a bajillion dollars, I think it will make a decent amount and be well regarded

I should say however, that I don't get the hate for the reboot. Thought it was reasonably funny. But that's another thread. Don't want to hijack this. Just thought I'd lay my cards on the table :D

I'm just rewatching the start of Ghostbusters 2. In the scene just after the opening credits they go the a kids party. A kid walks up and tells them his "dad says they are full of a crap". Straight away the kid looked familiar and when I looked up it up I was right, its was Jason Reitman.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Lamar Davis

Can't wait for this and hope they don't ruin it like the last Ghostbusters we had.

Yea it is my hope they put the gear back on and come to the rescue. Hence that call to the Ray book store is the initial call for help.

Post edited by py2006 on

• Advertisement

Those toys are being very generous to the lads' physiques - especially Akroyd's 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Catherine Reitman, Ivan’s daughter shows up in the scene in Egon’s lab as the girl holding the puppy. Catherine, who had cosmetic surgery go wrong, is best known for the Netflix show Working Moms

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Filming location today:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The first two movies definitely had moments of darkness and spookiness but they're comedies. Don't get me wrong I've never found them laugh out loud funny myself but they regarded as comedies.

Aside from the obvious ties, tonally this feels very different, there's no kookiness, and certainly isn't being marketed as a comedy nor would I say is it being marketed towards fans of the originals. There's enough there to tease old fans but it's also definitely trying to appeal to a new audience. I don't have a lot of love for the originals myself so I'm not saying this is a bad thing, it just doesn't feel like it's the same franchise but it could still work on its own merits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

For Ernie you would literally just need to take the original model and give grey highlights

That man is more of an immortal than Keanu

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There used to be a great video shop on that street called Kims. I would get all my video nasties there.

Blame the parents (us) who enjoyed their own films

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭ThePott

"Suck in the guts guys, we're the Ghosbusters."

Advertisement