Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghostbusters Afterlife (Jason Reitman)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I like it; hard not to see the obvious influence of IT, Stranger Things and all those classic stories of smalltown kids discovering mysteries in old abandoned mine/factory/neighbours house. Heck even Bumblebee ploughed that particular furrow. I actually like this direction, taking Ghostbusters out of NY ensures fewer comparisons with the previous movies, and latches onto a revival of a style of narrative that had gone out of fashion until recently.

No doubt a second trailer will spoil everything, for those lamenting the lack of original cast cameos :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Oh look, a Stranger things movie...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

pixelburp wrote: »
    I like it; hard not to see the obvious influence of IT, Stranger Things and all those classic stories of smalltown kids discovering mysteries in old abandoned mine/factory/neighbours house. Heck even Bumblebee ploughed that particular furrow. I actually like this direction, taking Ghostbusters out of NY ensures fewer comparisons with the previous movies, and latches onto a revival of a style of narrative that had gone out of fashion until recently.

No doubt a second trailer will spoil everything, for those lamenting the lack of original cast cameos :)

i think so

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭El Duda

Imagine how much more exciting this would be if 2016 didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it looks good, but not really interested in seeing it, isn't it a bit like trying to sell Spy Kids to a James Bond fan?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

silverharp wrote: »
    it looks good, but not really interested in seeing it, isn't it a bit like trying to sell Spy Kids to a James Bond fan?

Is it though? Not like there isn't a market and interest in these Smalltown USA stories once more, and Stranger Things has shown there's a perfectly willing adult market for Kids Solving Mysteries.

It's definitely a hard turn form the schlubby Working Man's comedy style of those 80s movies, but if executed well it could work as a worthy "passing the torch" kind of tale. I mean apart from anything else, that version of New York from the original films just doesn't exist anymore, so you can't simply "do" a third Ghostbusters film anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I dunno about that trailer. It doesn't look bad. But dan aykroyd, bill murrary and ernie hudson are alrady announced to be in it.
    Before the trailer it seemed like that they'll be passing the torch but still in it. Now just seems like cameos.

Really is stranger things meets ghostbusters.

I dunno about that trailer. It doesn't look bad. But dan aykroyd, bill murrary and ernie hudson are alrady announced to be in it.
    Before the trailer it seemed like that they'll be passing the torch but still in it. Now just seems like cameos.

Really is stranger things meets ghostbusters.

Given the kids discover the abandoned equipment, and there's unlikely to be a manual, I suspect the Act 2 to 3 change will be something like: the kids getting in over their heads, with the Big Threat too much for them to handle. They lose heart. Elsewhere, news of Strange Goings On hit the news and 3 heads turn to the TV, spotting something familiar on the screens. Cut to the arrival of the Original Crew at Summerville (haha, might as well call it Smalltown), here to help save the day, while teaching the kids how to use their unlicensed nuclear accelerators :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,394 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It really looks like a Jason Reitman movie, will all the subdued and serious lighting... and then boom, time to bust some mother****ing ghosts.

Very curious how that mix will go down :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I liked the trailer a lot. It's the first trailer, it's job is just to set the scene and tone, and I think it did that pretty well. Never had as much love or affinity for Ghostbusters anyway (probably because I saw Ghostbusters 2 way more times than 1), but looking forward to this so far anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well that was totally underwhelming and out of character with all the other Ghostbusters films. Say what you want about the "reboot", tonally it was much more inline with the first film. I actually really enjoyed the reboot but because of mouth-breathing, mom's-basement-dwelling woman-fearing losers, we have this teen Stranger Ghostbuster Things......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Trailer looks more interesting than I'd expected.

Well that was totally underwhelming and out of character with all the other Ghostbusters films. Say what you want about the "reboot", tonally it was much more inline with the first film. I actually really enjoyed the reboot but because of mouth-breathing, mom's-basement-dwelling woman-fearing losers, we have this teen Stranger Ghostbuster Things......

Naw can't agree with that; the 2016 was tonally all over the place, veering from poor ad-lib comedy (the "gag" about wantons), to odd risqué stuff (the "anti Irish fence" remarks) to whatever the 'F Chris Hemsworth's character was meant to be.

The 80s film had a dry, sarcastic sense of humour mixed with its "working stiffs" point of view. The 2016 was a hot mess that bore no resemblance to that approach of the older films. Not the cinematic cancer some would have you think, but the script was all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

The [other?] reboot was a lot sillier than the original two films, I thought.

This looks somewhat different again but, just judging by the trailer, maybe a bit closer to the "serious apart from the silly bits" tone of the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I thought it was the trailer for a new Tremors for the first minute.

I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

It's a slow reveal, no hint of a baddie or the original crew, if they showed everything, everyone would complain they showed everything

Is it though? Not like there isn't a market and interest in these Smalltown USA stories once more, and Stranger Things has shown there's a perfectly willing adult market for Kids Solving Mysteries.

It's definitely a hard turn form the schlubby Working Man's comedy style of those 80s movies, but if executed well it could work as a worthy "passing the torch" kind of tale. I mean apart from anything else, that version of New York from the original films just doesn't exist anymore, so you can't simply "do" a third Ghostbusters film anyway.

I havnt actually watched Stranger Things yet but one would be assuming that what people like watching on TV, matches their taste in what they pay to see in the cinema?

Im not saying it wont be successful, it will pull in parents with tween-age kids I’d guess , but it seems a bit twee for the teenage market? Yet seems too different despite the memberberries kit for anyone that grew up seeing the originals back in the 80’s?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

Looks great- far better than that pile of rubbish they made a few years ago!!

I havnt actually watched Stranger Things yet but one would be assuming that what people like watching on TV, matches their taste in what they pay to see in the cinema?

Im not saying it wont be successful, it will pull in parents with tween-age kids I’d guess , but it seems a bit twee for the teenage market? Yet seems too different despite the memberberries kit for anyone that grew up seeing the originals back in the 80’s?

One thing I'll say about Stranger Things, it is NOT twee. Season 3, the most recent just gone, is full of some pretty goopy, gross gore that wouldn't look out of place in a horror movie from that period (in fact it's possibly the most child unfriendly season yet). So the main characters being children doesn't / shouldn't preclude older audiences from enjoying it, if the approach is right.

Thing is, the original 1989 Ghostbusters sequel was a total clone of the original movie, and people hated it. In fact generally when sequels just ape previous iterations there's a pushback. It's a vicious narrative cycle; that urge to return to the well of the familiar rather than evolve or grow. The Watchmen TV show is a fantastic, current example of a sequel done right. Utterly its own beast, yet still wedded to the same themes and concepts of the original piece.

Can't speak to demographic appeal but I'll tip my hat to a sequel that's trying to properly move the story on - and out of NY. Plus if you gotta leave the city, then mashing the Goonies or ET into the Ghobusters world is a pretty smart play. It's all 1980s cultural touchpoints, so they match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

I like it as a trailer.
    Nothing massive revealed, just a drop to say ok we have a tone of this.

I like the build up and feel to alot of movies, at the end of the day it needs to connect with the younger audience of today that love IT and Stranger things first and build nostalgia to the older audience second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,163 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

mrmorgan wrote: »
    Looks great- far better than that pile of rubbish they made a few years ago!!

Yeah, this is what's going to happen with this film. A lot of people are going to go easy on it, because it probably won't be the weak mess that the 2016 'Ghostbusters' was.

But that trailer doesn't tell me that this movie will be any good either.

Ghostbusters died in 1984. It should stay dead.

Tony EH wrote: »
    ... Ghostbusters died in 1984. It should stay dead...

Ah now, come on Ghostbusters 2 was not that bad :pac:
    The movie also spawned one of the greatest NES games of all time... Ghostbusters 2 :p (The european version not the bad american one)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I enjoyed watching the trailer - a nice blend of nostalgia and a new setting.

One thing I'll say about Stranger Things, it is NOT twee. Season 3, the most recent just gone, is full of some pretty goopy, gross gore that wouldn't look out of place in a horror movie from that period (in fact it's possibly the most child unfriendly season yet). So the main characters being children doesn't / shouldn't preclude older audiences from enjoying it, if the approach is right.

Thing is, the original 1989 Ghostbusters sequel was a total clone of the original movie, and people hated it. In fact generally when sequels just ape previous iterations there's a pushback. It's a vicious narrative cycle; that urge to return to the well of the familiar rather than evolve or grow. The Watchmen TV show is a fantastic, current example of a sequel done right. Utterly its own beast, yet still wedded to the same themes and concepts of the original piece.

Can't speak to demographic appeal but I'll tip my hat to a sequel that's trying to properly move the story on - and out of NY. Plus if you gotta leave the city, then mashing the Goonies or ET into the Ghobusters world is a pretty smart play. It's all 1980s cultural touchpoints, so they match.

The first movie was bottled lightning , a sequel of matching quality would have been tough, the original movie just had a perfect combination of likeable characters that played off each other well and where the special effects were secondary because they knew got the tension levels right during the movie. I don’t see this sequel recapturing the magic, it will probably be too on the nose with standard fare special effects and forgettable characters. Random thought here but maybe this could have been a Buffy style TV setup then it would have time for the cast to grow on the audience?

Ah now, come on Ghostbusters 2 was not that bad :pac:

Sarcasm detected!!!!
    The movie also spawned one of the greatest NES games of all time... Ghostbusters 2 :p (The european version not the bad american one)

Never played that.

The first movie was bottled lightning , a sequel of matching quality would have been tough, the original movie just had a perfect combination of likeable characters that played off each other well and where the special effects were secondary because they knew got the tension levels right during the movie. I don’t see this sequel recapturing the magic, it will probably be too on the nose with standard fare special effects and forgettable characters. Random thought here but maybe this could have been a Buffy style TV setup then it would have time for the cast to grow on the audience?

'Ghostbusters' is an example of an accident that people keep trying to recreate, without having a clue just how the accident actually happened.

1984 was the right time and the right place for it to work and it will just never work again.

I dunno, I have a sneaking suspicion that there is a constraint of budget here that'll force a focus on character-action: like, the 2016 film had a $150 million budget!! That's an insane number & controversy aside, the film was always destined to struggle with that kind of budget to claw back.

Looking at this trailer, it seems to have an emphasis on physical props and its cast, with some pretty standard "Smalltown" location work. There are no big SNL stars to pay for - bar Paul Rudd and maybe those cameos from the original cast - so if I had to take a stab, I'd say the budget here is more around the $50 million mark. So just from that point of view, this won't need to set the world alight to be a success. And has been shown time & time again, nothing concentrates creativity like the enforced restrictions of time & money.

I'm actually quietly confident here, and maybe it's just cos I remain a sucker for Small Town (Supernatural) Mysteries, but so far nothing I've read or seen has suggested this is a turkey in waiting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Ghostbusters II is much loved in my house. All opinions are valid.

Really liked this trailer. Change of setting avoids outright comparison to the original.

I bet the next trailer will change the tone completely to something more comic. Paul Rudd looks perfect to be the keystone in all this.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Sarcasm detected!!!!
    Never played that.

Nah. Wasn't been sarcastic. I actually enjoy the second movie.
    Yeah it was a great game. Got overshadowed on youtube and the internet because the Americans got a totally different game themselves. A very subpar game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I also like Ghostbusters II. It's more of the same and that's totally fine with me.

New film looks good. After 2016 they needed to go in a totally different direction. A familiar premise perhaps but a reliable one provided Reitman doesn't screw it up.

Advertisement