Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Hotel in Wicklow to be used as direct provision centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

recedite wrote: »
    A large percentage of the worlds population lives on 2 or 3 dollars a day. That is billions of people. For those people, the idea that they could come to Ireland and live in a plush hotel with all their needs provided for (for the rest of their lives) is like a dream come true. The reality is that its a very boring existence, but they will find that out afterwards.

What is the point of us taking in a few thousand of them, or even a few million? It's still only a tiny proportion of what is out there.
    We could collapse the entire social services and tourist industries of this country and it still would not make even a tiny dent in the overall world situation.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1112/1010343-hotel-provision-centres/

These countries are not at war. They are corrupt. Nigeria has a huge wealth of oil and mineral resources.
    Check out these guys.

The Congo is a place I would take refugees from.
    Not so sure about Pakistan or Nigeria.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

@ Jimjay

I can’t speak for the owner. I take it that your point is that perjury is was his plan all along? Maybe this is the case. If it is, so what?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

2011 wrote: »
    @ Jimjay

I can’t speak for the owner. I take it that your point is that perjury is was his plan all along? Maybe this is the case. If it is, so what?

My point is that people are saying dont blame the owners, it wasnt viable to run as a hotel so they had to make money this way. The owners never tried to run it as a hotel in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Or do they not count?
    People count, but Ireland cannot end world poverty by inviting the whole world to come and live in our hotels free of charge, while gullible Paddy the Irish Taxpayer picks up the tab.

We could set up aid programs in countries where people need aid. We already do that. A small amount of money goes a long way if spent wisely.
    Not that the countries these people come from need aid.

Ireland; population 4.8 million. Not much in the way of natural resources, but has hard working people.

Nigeria population 200 million. Vast oil reserves and minerals.

Pakistan population also 200 million. Currently selling three jet fighters to Nigeria at $61 million each. We couldn't afford one jet fighter, even if we wanted one.

Congo; diamonds, gold, rare earth minerals, you name it they have it.

I dislike this nonsense about the Irish emigrated too, did anyone convert a hotel for us? offer a council house.
    Then there's the Irish experience in the US civil war.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Jimjay wrote: »
    The owners never tried to run it as a hotel in the first place.

Perhaps you are correct, I honestly don’t know.
    Either way this doesn’t make it the right or wrong decision

@ recedite: I agree that Ireland can’t fix the world’s problems. However given that asylum seekers will be catered for in Ireland righty or wrongly, what is your issue with the Grand Hotel being used for direct provision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

@ recedite: I agree that Ireland can’t fix the world’s problems. However given that asylum seekers will be catered for in Ireland righty or wrongly, what is your issue with the Grand Hotel being used for direct provision?
    I disagree with everything about it.
    I'm against encouraging them into Ireland.
    I'm against using the only hotel in the town for direct provision.
    I'm against the whole "asylum industry" as it has become, with the long drawn out process of direct provision. It costs the taxpayer a fortune, it makes rich consortiums even wealthier, and it bores the hell out of the asylum seekers.
    It teaches them how to survive while doing nothing all day, for years, while denying them the chance to even cook their own meals.

I would certainly grant asylum to exceptional cases, somebody like Asia Bibi, but I'd give her a PPS number and some language training straight away, and expect her to integrate into normal productive society fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think some people need to watch the BBC programme Exodus. Not sure how you can get it but info is here.

Many of these people are fleeing desperate situations and genuinely need help.

I'd like to think that Ireland, as a country that has suffered from emigration would show some compassion.

No point in comparing it to the homeless crisis as that's a completely different issue in that many on the streets have serious personal problems such as additcion and mental health and will not be helped by just being provided a room/house as many think.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think some people need to watch the BBC programme Exodus. Not sure how you can get it but info is here.

I'd like to think that Ireland, as a country that has suffered from emigration would show some compassion.

No point in comparing it to the homeless crisis as that's a completely different issue in that many on the streets have serious personal problems such as additcion and mental health and will not be helped by just being provided a room/house as many think.
    Our emigration history has nothing to do with it, but if you can get rid of the fakes who fly in here everyday I would agree with you.

• Advertisement

antietam1 wrote: »
    Our emigration history has nothing to do with it, but if you can get rid of the fakes who fly in here everyday I would agree with you.

What fakes are you referring to?

How do you know they're fake?

Can you provide anything to back it up?

Also, I think our own emigration has plenty to do with it as we should realise that most people don't just move their home country for the sake of it.

If you were from a war torn Syria or Yemen, or poverty stricken war torn countries in Africa you would do the same to get your family out of a bad situation just like the Irish did.

recedite wrote: »
    I disagree with everything about it.
    I'm against encouraging them into Ireland.
    I'm against using the only hotel in the town for direct provision.
    I'm against the whole "asylum industry" as it has become, with the long drawn out process of direct provision. It costs the taxpayer a fortune, it makes rich consortiums even wealthier, and it bores the hell out of the asylum seekers.
    It teaches them how to survive while doing nothing all day, for years, while denying them the chance to even cook their own meals.

I would certainly grant asylum to exceptional cases, somebody like Asia Bibi, but I'd give her a PPS number and some language training straight away, and expect her to integrate into normal productive society fairly quickly.

Yes, I understand your views on this policy. A regional forum is not really the place to debate government policy. I am not debating that with you at all. You can take it that your view on asylum seekers is clearly understood.

Despite the fact that you quoted my post in full you have not answered my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

It's the busiest year for a decade for asylum claims, thats probably why the new places are needed so badly.

What fakes are you referring to?

How do you know they're fake?

Can you provide anything to back it up?

Also, I think our own emigration has plenty to do with it as we should realise that most people don't just move their home country for the sake of it.

If you were from a war torn Syria or Yemen, or poverty stricken war torn countries in Africa you would do the same to get your family out of a bad situation just like the Irish did.
    Do you know they're not fake? have you got a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Post removed as it makes unsubstantiated allegations

Were the hotel guests ever vetted? Were they subjected to a curfew?
    Were tourists from certain countries, religions or races not permitted to stay in the hotel?
    Has the availability of doctors significantly disimproved over the last few days?
    Are the local schools suddenly more crowded?

Is it time to make Wicklow great again and build a wall?

As suspected you cannot back up anything you say with facts or evidence when asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

Has the availability of doctors significantly disimproved over the last few days?

Not over the last few days. Over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

murpho999 wrote:
    I think some people need to watch the BBC programme Exodus. Not sure how you can get it but info is.

That program is from 3 years ago, Syria is starting to rebuild. Also, the BBC are knee deep in the business of propaganda these days, they aren't reliable from the point of view of unbiased reporting.

Irish people were indeed emigrants in large numbers, at times what we now refer to as refugees, and where did they go? Britain and America mainly! It's almost as if those locations were culturally setup to make the transition in their new home manageable. They also happened to be the nearest points of relief east and west. Also, at what point do we draw the line on that tagline? Are we just expected to take absolutely everyone in because we had a famine 150 years ago, and suffered massively as a result of a global meltdown only 10 years ago? No. It's a facile and stupid point and the lip service on it needs to stop.

The issue around homelessness is relevant as there seems to be almost nothing done by this govt to do anything about it. You see that would require spending money on our own, and their bosses in Brussels don't want that, they want Ireland to do their fair share of embracing diversity i.e. importing people from non war-torn African countries......so needless to say Fine Gael don't let them down. This is just the start of this sort of ****e. We are being led down a very bad path by the weasels in charge in this country.

I don't blame those coming here either, they are the victims of these money hungry bastards and other dark dudes (character wise) from where they came from. In what sense is coming to Ireland compatible to somebody from Africa or the Middle east? Language, skills, economy, weather, absolutely none of it matches, if anything I consider it bordering on the cruel that they aren't sent somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Baybay wrote: »
    Not over the last few days. Over the last few years.

Never any issues getting an appointment for a doctor in Wicklow. Why are people saying there is, it’s pure no nonsense.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement

2013Lara wrote: »
    Quoted post removed

If there was ever a post which demonstrates NIMBYism, it’s this one.

You are the one who mentioned “fakes” it’s not up to anyone else to prove your point for you, doesn’t work like that I’m afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Simon Harris nor the other Fine Gael chap or anyone from Fine Gael bothered to attend from the sounds of things.

Are they supposed to attend everything? Explain to me how Harris could attend all events, work and keep you happy? I'm interested in hearing your ideas on this.
    What are you his secretary, why so defensive ? Harris is a little weasel anyway.
    I wouldn't have time for him or any of these TDs.

Ah, ok so that's your agenda. Just taking a stab out of spite...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I have compassion the ordinary everyday Italian who's country has unemployment of 9.5% but until the left were booted out there were being destroyed financially and socially by allowing vast numbers of migrants. Been to many Italian cities and seen ordinary everyday Italians sleeping on the streets and I didn't any of the large numbers of African migrants sleeping rough but rather begging and selling tacky crap on the street. Good news is the Italian people have had enough of mass immigration and have for the anti establishment anti immigration Lega lead by Salvini and the Five Star Movement.

Look at Austria aswell to see the ordinary Europeans are fed up of their values and countries being destroyed. Hopefully Ireland will one day vote the same but not before it's too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I have compassion the ordinary everyday Italian who's country has unemployment of 9.5% but until the left were booted out there were being destroyed financially and socially by allowing vast numbers of migrants. Been to many Italian cities and seen ordinary everyday Italians sleeping on the streets and I didn't any of the large numbers of African migrants sleeping rough but rather begging and selling tacky crap on the street. Good news is the Italian people have had enough of mass immigration and have for the anti establishment anti immigration Lega lead by Salvini and the Five Star Movement.

Look at Austria aswell to see the ordinary Europeans are fed up of their values and countries being destroyed. Hopefully Ireland will one day vote the same but not before it's too late.

But what party will bring that change?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Well I can't see it being anyone of our parties we have now. At the present time as it's the European parliament who are calling the shots on who we take and how many. Nothing will change until it turns into the mess that is going to happen.Too late then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

It will happen eventually but only when mass immigration starts to become a problem.

Stephen15 wrote: »

Yeah, that’s great news alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

Never any issues getting an appointment for a doctor in Wicklow. Why are people saying there is, it’s pure no nonsense.

No issue getting the appointment, you’re right. Just the seventeen days waiting for it.

• Advertisement

Baybay wrote: »
    No issue getting the appointment, you’re right. Just the seventeen days waiting for it.

Again, nonsense.
    My GP is in Wicklow town and I have never been waiting more than a day for an appointment.
    There are a few practices in Wicklow, I respectfully suggest you move from yours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement