Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any Jacob Rees-Mogg fans here?

Comments

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    His nickname is 'The Right Honourable Member for the 17th Century' due to his traditional views.

He is a brilliant orator. I've seen him take Dimbleby apart on Question Time with a few well-delivered jibes.

He would take Britain back to the days of Empire, but they're long gone.

Speaking of being taken apart, Anna Soubrey basically filleted him in the HoC a few months back in a Brexit debate. This clown has few if any redeeming features. His politics make as much sense as Walter Mitty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Thomyokk

No, I'd be happy to see him die from cancer.

You probably need to dumb-down your username

TheRabble or Something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

His kids seem complete twats as well.

6 kids aged from eleven to one, seem like complete twats? And you the one wishing cancer and death on their father.

His politics seem **** but play the ball not the man and his family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

boggerman1 wrote: »
    An uncanny resemblance to a young devalara is moggy in my opinion.
    Walter the Softy.

stream_img.jpg

British politics needs Dennis the Menace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Zaph wrote: »
    I would generally agree, but the problem they have in Britain is that there isn't anything any better to replace them with. Labour is equally fragmented and has issues of its own. As it stands I don't think either of them are fit to be in government.

I'll take the current status quo for the next few months or so. This fall in sterling is doing me no harm at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭fiveleavesleft

endacl wrote: »
    Walter the Softy.

stream_img.jpg

British politics needs Dennis the Menace.

The Beast of Bolsover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

He represents a large section of society and does it very well. All sections of society need to be represented in political life
    Are you saying that without the Moggshite, the ultra wealthy "Old Etonian" crowd in the UK would be underrepresented in politics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

darlett wrote: »
    6 kids aged from eleven to one, seem like complete twats?

Considering their upbringing, they'll do well to avoid evolving into twats, albeit through no real fault of their own. Just as it wasn't Jacob Rees-Mogg's fault that he became a twat, given the fact that his father - William Rees-Mogg - was a known twat.

They twat you up, your mum and dad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

He is one smart guy, though. You dont become head of a research group if you dont know what you are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

He’s another in an ever growing list of almost fictional characters that have somehow come to prominence in varying levels of importance through identity politics. Like Trump, Farage, Trudeau, Zappone...
    The world has gotten very weird.
    Welcome to politics as sports - where policy means sweet feck all, so it becomes a game of "who's the biggest 'character' at the club in the party I support?" - With sweet feck all interest given into "why do I even support that club party in the first place?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

He is one smart guy, though. You dont become head of a research group if you dont know what you are talking about.

Indeed and a European research group at that. I assume they have published many comprehensive studies into the effects of something as momentous as brexit. Would you have a link to any in-depth analysis from this research group?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Well, you can if you start one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

"You're a politician 'arry"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Well people give out about people not informing themselves about and understanding Europe before voting in the referendum - here is a man who really did his research and so is better placed than most to give an authoritative opinion on which option is better for Britain. And then people criticism him for it. How many European research groups were they part of ? None, Ill bet. All they can counter with, is childing puns about his resemblance to a cartoon character. If that isnt brainless twittery, then I dont know what is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

He seems a bit of a twat to be honest , and as said he will be grand whatever happens, so he doesn't really give a **** if brexit fux everything up.
    Having said that some of the comments here are a bit strong, such hate for the guy!!! wanting him to die from cancer !! - Really !!! ??
    Calm down lads!

• Advertisement

Well people give out about people not informing themselves about and understanding Europe before voting in the referendum - here is a man who really did his research and so is better placed than most to give an authoritative opinion on which option is better for Britain. And then people criticism him for it. How many European research groups were they part of ?

I belong to one called the FVP European Research Group. Just set it up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Beano have issued a Cease and Desist for copyright reasons to the right honourable member for the 18th century.

DZ3iuKvW0AAyLp8.jpg:large
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DZ3iuKvW0AAyLp8.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭fiveleavesleft

Billy86 wrote: »
    Welcome to politics as sports - where policy means sweet feck all, so it becomes a game of "who's the biggest 'character' at the club in the party I support?" - With sweet feck all interest given into "why do I even support that club party in the first place?"

We were the greatest revolutionaries of the 20th century. We are the future. Other countries are dealing with that sort of politics now & its messy. We've perfected it for the last 100 years.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Interesting character.

Good speaker.

I admire that he sticks to his faith, while society becomes more secular.

I don't agree with his stance on Brexit.

He would be for a two-tier society, with weakened public services, and more privatisation, which I don't fully agree with.

He is a welcome antidote to the dumbing-down of society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Considering their upbringing, they'll do well to avoid evolving into twats, albeit through no real fault of their own. Just as it wasn't Jacob Rees-Mogg's fault that he became a twat, given the fact that his father - William Rees-Mogg - was a known twat.

What did he do wrong?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Rees-Mogg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Comhra wrote: »
    Michael Healy-Rae.

Jacob Healy-Mogg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Well you might ask.
    In the times we live in the threshold for being dismissed as a "twat" is very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

manster wrote: »
    Fun fact that I didn't know. He is a practising Catholic.
    Well, if he's only still practicing....

I have no coat.

They don't mean to
    But they do

You can become Head of a research group if you have enough contacts & money.

Even just money.

If fact, you can even become pres of the USA.

money, honey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Hard to believe he's a year younger than Kylie Minogue.

Six more children than her too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

He's like something out of a PG Wodehouse book for godsakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

im a big fan.
    he is a great speaker, polite and a man of principle.

his detractors have nothing on him so attack him due to his upbringing and mannerisms which is pretty crass.

as evidencrd by this thread there are quite a few dicks out there....one of corbyns pals abused moggs kids and nanny in the street....ffs

Its sad that somebody who holds different views to you should be attacked and mocked rather than debated and challenged..
    kinda pathetic really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Geuze wrote: »
    Interesting character.

Good speaker.

I admire that he sticks to his faith, while society becomes more secular.

I don't agree with his stance on Brexit.

He would be for a two-tier society, with weakened public services, and more privatisation, which I don't fully agree with.

Well this is a good point.

In a society where we are expected to conform to a 'progressive' agenda, Rees-Mogg remains principled.

That is a good trait to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He's a haunted pencil who could be a tenement landlord straight out of a Dickens novel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Well people give out about people not informing themselves about and understanding Europe before voting in the referendum - here is a man who really did his research and so is better placed than most to give an authoritative opinion on which option is better for Britain. And then people criticism him for it. How many European research groups were they part of ? None, Ill bet. All they can counter with, is childing puns about his resemblance to a cartoon character. If that isnt brainless twittery, then I dont know what is.
    I've not seen him say anything authoritative... Is this back to your idea of Ireland rejoining the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

In a society where we are expected to conform to a 'progressive' agenda, Rees-Mogg remains principled.

Yes principles that fell out of favour in the 20th Century is something to aspire to

Like moving his investment vehicle to Ireland to benefit from that pesky EU Market!

Principled? Sure, Jan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

he can afford to support his large family, which is nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Not as odious as Boris in fairness. Their country and party come a very distant second place to the pursuit of power for these characters.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Anyone who names a child Sixtus deserves a good slap.

He has six children: (Wikipedia)

Peter Theodore Alphege Rees-Mogg (b. 2007)
    Mary Anne Charlotte Emma Rees-Mogg (b. 2008)
    Thomas Wentworth Somerset Dunstan Rees-Mogg (b. 2010)
    Anselm Charles Fitzwilliam Rees-Mogg (b. 2012)[167][168]
    Alfred Wulfric Leyson Pius Rees-Mogg (b. 22 February 2016)[169]
    Sixtus Dominic Boniface Christopher Rees-Mogg (b. July 2017)

Sweet fakkin Jesus I have no idea who this pretentious [bleep] is but I want to punch him real hard right in the face right now.

The message behind names like that is “do not look us in the eye you peasant, can you not tell that we are a higher race.” That’s exactly what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Oink wrote: »

The message behind names like that is “do not look us in the eye you peasant, can you not tell that we are a higher race.” That’s exactly what it is.

Let's be honest, Rees-Moog is exactly the kind of Brit who was going around 'his land' back here in the 1800s, atop a horse, setting his hunting dogs on any Irishman who dared to glance in his direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I have to admit to a grudging admiration for Jacob Rees-Mogg. No-one does upper class British poshness quite like him. Whatever about his political ideology, he is very entertaining and sometimes I wonder if he's laying it all on a bit?

he's a disaster capitalist who seeks to profit from mass misery

it's the family business

so all in all - I'd say he's not the greatest example of humanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Alfred is the worst of the bunch Imo. Sixtus is an oddity at least.

But Alfred in 2018?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

The proles laughed at him when he was on ali g and he's getting getting his revenge with brexit. That'll show the great unwashed, who is having the last laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

For those of you on here old enough to remember, he reminds me of a 70's Monty Python sketch.....Upper Class Twit of the Year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Geuze wrote: »

Even if the political event which he's allied himself too is one of the most fundamentally stupid of modern times?

You can't be really considered an antidote to society's dumbing down if utter you nothing but stupid opportunistic soundbites about a complex issue.

The man is a self-serving fool.

Principled my arse. His principle is making money. If he could make more by being "progressive" then progressive he'd be.

Any Irish person who claims to like him is a troll, idiot, ignoramous or has no knowledge or appreciation of any kind of history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

If profiting from misery is principled then I'd question your moral compass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

The Beano have issued a Cease and Desist for copyright reasons to the right honourable member for the 18th century.

DZ3iuKvW0AAyLp8.jpg:large
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DZ3iuKvW0AAyLp8.jpg:large

Is the Beano still going ?
    I used to love that comic when I was a kid ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I think a lot of people underestimate how popular this lad’s routine could be in an election. I don’t think he’ll ever lead the Tories, but I think he would have appeal across the swathes of society. There’s always been a craven section of the working class in this country who go mad for the ‘quaint English gentleman’ routine, the type of people who buy Royal Family commemoration plates.

I can see how he has a certain charisma but the man’s politics are abhorrent. As someone earlier said he’s a disaster capitalist. It’s all well and good laughing at his top hat until he scraps the minimum wage, plunged millions into poverty and sells of the NHS in favour of private health insurance nobody can afford. The type of policies he’s pushing forward are actively killing people in the UK today and ruining the lives of many more.

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    Not as odious as Boris in fairness. Their country and party come a very distant second place to the pursuit of power for these characters.

There's two of them in it. Both snakeoil salesmen pulling the wool further over the eyes of millions of stunningly ignorant people who have been fed EU-scapegoating lies for decades by their oligarch-controlled Tory media and the Tory political class which gave them so much power (by, for instance, removing media ownership restrictions in the early 1980s).

Never a mention of the same Tory political class pushing globalisation, immigration/cheap labour costs, intensification of the centralisation of the English economy on London and further decline of the regions, low taxes for the rich meaning heavier taxes for the PAYE-paying classes and so, so much else.

Or that in 2004 the British government actually got an opt out from EU restrictions on immigration from the new EU countries like Poland to allow the Poles etc to immigrate to Britain straight away. Crazily, they have succeeded in blaming the EU for that entirely British decision to import cheap Polish labour asap and keep costs low (i.e. undermine demands for wage increases by the same English working class who are now swallowing this populist rubbish from English arch globalists who have started to drape themselves in the Union Jack). The ignorance is abject, as is the gullibility.

These two ugh characters are part of the greatest scapegoating in Europe since Germany in the 1930s. It's quite disturbing to watch an entire nation in 2018 be hoodwinked by a big lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

kneemos wrote: »
    Alfred is the worst of the bunch Imo. Sixtus is an oddity at least.

But Alfred in 2018?

#ALFIESARMY.

Or that in 2004 the British government actually got an opt out from EU restrictions on immigration from the new EU countries like Poland to allow the Poles etc to immigrate to Britain straight away. Crazily, they have succeeded in blaming the EU for that entirely British decision to import cheap Polish labour asap and keep costs low (i.e. undermine demands for wage increases by the same English working class who are now swallowing this populist rubbish from English arch globalists who have started to drape themselves in the Union Jack). The ignorance is abject, as is the gullibility.

That opt out clause wasn’t invoked by Ireland either. Do you think it was politically possible at the time?

But Rees Moog is indeed very right wing.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/24926/jacob_rees-mogg/north_east_somerset/votes

Anselm & Sixtus are condemned by name, might as well sport a pink toilet seat around your neck through childhood.

I’m sure they’ll be ok in Eton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I have no beef with these politicians as I don't see them as part of my world.

I do recall some staunch and unexpected hatred in certain pockets of Scotland though for Ms. Sturgeon - a hatred more fitting for Myra Hyndley or Rose West.

• Advertisement
Advertisement