Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canyon sizing problem

Options
  • 20-11-2018 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

I finally purchased a new bike and went for the Canyon ultimate 8 disc. I went for the large after doing the sizing chart and discussing with Canyon but I am not sure after test driving it.

On this thread on geometry I was recommended the medium but was thinking of avoiding the lot of seat post showing and any spacers under the stem.
    On the new bike I set it up very close to my old fit, set the stem as low as it can go but it feels odd, it feels less aggressive and that the handlebars are less under me with less weight on the front which makes the steering feel lighter.
    Maybe its just something I would adjust to.

The bike feels way more comfy, soaks up road better, I would say the change from 23 to 25 tyres makes the biggest difference, but overall it feels a bit soft rather than perky.

Anyhow need to make a decision quickly on whether to return it and go for a medium with a longer stem. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Head wrecked.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

You'll always wonder if the medium would have fitted you better... so my non-technical quick answer would be to return the large. Shipping it will no doubt be a pain in the ass, but you did spend a few grand on the bike so it will be worth it in the long run.

If you get the medium and it is worse, I presume Canyon will ship you back the large?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

You'll always wonder if the medium would have fitted you better... so my non-technical quick answer would be to return the large. Shipping it will no doubt be a pain in the ass, but you did spend a few grand on the bike so it will be worth it in the long run.

If you get the medium and it is worse, I presume Canyon will ship you back the large?

Thanks! Looks like medium isn’t available until February. I will try to adjust the fit again but yes it’s niggling at me. Would be terrible though to swap it out and not be happy with the medium. This is where a physical shop is very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

flatface wrote: »
    Thanks! Looks like medium isn’t available until February. I will try to adjust the fit again but yes it’s niggling at me. Would be terrible though to swap it out and not be happy with the medium. This is where a physical shop is very handy.

So an option would be to send the large back now and wait until February to get a medium. I wonder would Canyon swap it back for a large then even though you had originally made the purchase in Sept/Nov?

(I bought a Canyon a few months ago. It's great, but I was very worried about the sizing and then I was paranoid about the bike fit when it arrived. That's the risk with buying online and not with the lbs)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

please tell me canyon have a size called 'grand'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

No, but they do have a bike called Grand.
    Tis Grand Altogether

OP, how about taking your bike for a fitting? Then you'll know if it's grand, large, or medium...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I'm going for a medium in the canyon endurance. Suits my height and inseam(which I got a mate to help measure)

But in the ultimate I was between small/medium.

This was using their sizing tool and talking to someone via email

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

The old adage applies in that it's easier to make a smaller bike bigger than a bigger bike smaller. Why did you get a large if you like to be more over the bars seems an odd choice. Usually the aggressive set up is with a long seat post and stem. Returning would be a right pain the hole and I'm not sure if they'll take it back on a sizing issue I know they offer to replace the stem.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭barleyman

just had a quick look at this, haven't done the calcs but have you done the following as per your bike fit measurements.

1) Dropped a plum line from tip of saddle and measured distance to BB (this is the critical measurement and assumes new saddle is same length as the old one). This should be 9cm behind the centre of your bb. If this isn't right then all your measurements will be off.

2) Assuming you have saddle height set correctly. Measured the drop from saddle to horizontal line from handlebars as per your bike fit. What is this drop?

You seem to missing a measurement from the tip of your saddle to the stem clamp or brake hoods. Do you still have your old bike so that you can measure this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

barleyman wrote: »
    just had a quick look at this, haven't done the calcs but have you done the following as per your bike fit measurements.

1) Dropped a plum line from tip of saddle and measured distance to BB (this is the critical measurement and assumes new saddle is same length as the old one). This should be 9cm behind the centre of your bb. If this isn't right then all your measurements will be off.

2) Assuming you have saddle height set correctly. Measured the drop from saddle to horizontal line from handlebars as per your bike fit. What is this drop?

You seem to missing a measurement from the tip of your saddle to the stem clamp or brake hoods. Do you still have your old bike so that you can measure this?
    Are you saying everyone should have 9cm of saddle set-back?.... if so you are completely wrong.

barleyman wrote: »

Thanks for that, I have the old bike and can compare. Will measure up. Looks like the saddle had slid back on the test drive, so maybe it’s not as bad as first imagined.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, I have the old bike and can compare. Will measure up. Looks like the saddle had slid back on the test drive, so maybe it’s not as bad as first imagined.

So I did a few adjustments, got the saddle to the same height, setback to 9cm. Drop from saddle to bars is same now at 10cm. The bars are 1cm further and 1cm narrower than old fit. It feels way better than my first attempt, the reach not so bad, if anything the bar width difference is more apparent. Cornering was great today on it, think I’m coming around.

So I did a few adjustments, got the saddle to the same height, setback to 9cm. Drop from saddle to bars is same now at 10cm. The bars are 1cm further and 1cm narrower than old fit. It feels way better than my first attempt, the reach not so bad, if anything the bar width difference is more apparent. Cornering was great today on it, think I’m coming around.

Big thanks to all the advise on this forum, it’s nerve wracking buying online unseen. I thought I was experienced enough to know what I’m doing as a long time cyclist, but I’ve only bought a few bikes really and got a lot of mileage out of each.

Advertisement