Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Career change from childcare work?

• 21-11-2018 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

Ok, so I have been working in childcare the past 2 years or so, and have an honours degree in childcare, which has n't proven to be of much use to me in my current and previous jobs in this line of work.
    I have, essentially a qualification, that employers in this line of work don't even want, and I can say with absolute certainty that I feel I wasted years of my life working so hard to do well in college to earn my degree, even at work, I felt like an unglorified skivvy, ( and I don't mean to sound superior when I say that).

I recently left my last crèche job, feeling like I had such a worthless qualification. I found myself more or less bullied into social welfare schemes while in these positions, and told either I join these schemes, or my employer's can't afford to pay me for full time work. ( In these 'schemes' the agreement is that the social welfare pay 5 Euro 30 cent towards my minimum wage of 9.55. owing to a 'disability' in the employee participating on the scheme). I outright refused to go along with the scheme, and my hours were cut from 40 hours a week to just 25 hours.

Anyway, I have a feeling if I decide to stay in childcare work, this will be the case in every crèche job I go to, so am just looking for a career change, and unsure of where to start. I'd maybe like to do some kind of a computer based course, as my college course covered use of 'Excel, Publisher, typing, etc, at least then my years of college won't have completely gone to waste.

Just feeling quite lost at the moment. Anyone able to advise?

Really appreciate it.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

Why not apply for a public service job Tusla HSE even, if you get in as a Clerical Officer you could work your way up and get some use out of your degree ?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Would you consider primary teaching, a lot of people with that level 8 end up doing Hibernian? April is the next intake, as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You do have 'a degree' though. This qualifies you to apply for any number of post-graduate conversion courses which will leave you feeling potentially much more valued and rewarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Hello 1

kieran. wrote: »
    Why not apply for a public service job Tusla HSE even, if you get in as a Clerical Officer you could work your way up and get some use out of your degree ?

For a clerical officer role, what would this job entail exactly? Is it like a 'desk job', or some kind of secretarial work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Would you consider primary teaching, a lot of people with that level 8 end up doing Hibernian? April is the next intake, as far as I know.

Wouldn't recommend it, unless the plan was always to be a teacher. Hibernian will be squirting out over 1000 NQT's soon, who will each pay around €15000 for the privilege. And the same number again every year. Those very very few who manage to secure a full time CID within a decade of qualifying will be paid a much lower rate than their older colleagues, and their pension wouldn't be worth farting at.

T'would be a simpler, cheaper, and more direct path to disillusionment for the OP to stay where they are.

• Advertisement

Also, I should mention that after going to college for four years already, I am kinda reluctant to go through the whole full time student experience again. Is there any other route I can take to secretarial work/ clerical work,etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Clerical office based roles come up on this for HSE and Tusla or the councils

To thine own self be true

Thanks all.

I don't have any formal computer qualifications apart from the Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher,etc that I used as part of my college course.
    Would I need to have computer qualifications specifically to work in a job using these?

Ive just applied for a post of Office Administor.
    I only have a working experience background in creche work..but as part of my college course, my degree is in creche management, we covered use of Microsoft Office. I am fairy good at typing and photocopying.
    Would I stand a chance of getting this job without previous office job experience?

Hello 1 wrote: »
    Ive just applied for a post of Office Administor.
    I only have a working experience background in creche work..but as part of my college course, my degree is in creche management, we covered use of Microsoft Office. I am fairy good at typing and photocopying.
    Would I stand a chance of getting this job without previous office job experience?

Read the job spec and qualifications to be sure you are eligible.
    Also there might be an aptitude test as part of this process so if there is, make sure you get plenty of practice.
    These roads can be a long drawn out process so I'd say don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    If your degree is in creche management why aren't you looking to apply in this area?
    If you are the creche manager or administrator would you be able to be less (physical) hands on?
    You could be a candidate for a CE scheme supervisor role or community resource centre manager with a degree like that?
    See about doing a few night courses that might help you get a foot in there too if that appeals to you.
    I'd be thinking ECDL or Payroll administration.

• Advertisement

Read the job spec and qualifications to be sure you are eligible.
    Also there might be an aptitude test as part of this process so if there is, make sure you get plenty of practice.
    These roads can be a long drawn out process so I'd say don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    If your degree is in creche management why aren't you looking to apply in this area?
    If you are the creche manager or administrator would you be able to be less (physical) hands on?
    You could be a candidate for a CE scheme supervisor role or community resource centre manager with a degree like that?
    See about doing a few night courses that might help you get a foot in there too if that appeals to you.
    I'd be thinking ECDL or Payroll administration.

I only have two years experience of actually working in a crèche environment as an assistant (working directly with the kids) and have no hands on management experience ( job wise), and most managerial roles look for a combination of working with the kids AND the management side combined, so I figure that rules me out of applying for a management position (at present).

The office administrator job I have applied for has specified 'Computer Skills essential' and book keeping skills, desirable, but not essential'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭enricoh

Unfortunately working in a creche is tenner an hour stuff. Whats that 20k a year.
    How long to retrain as a primary school teacher? Short term pain for long term gain.
    Iirc 36k starting salary, 4 months off a year, cracking pension- u wont get near that in a creche.
    Good luck n keep the chin up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Where in the country is that, crèches are badly stuck for staff in Dublin and are paying between 12 and 15 euro an hour. Not great money but a lot better than min wage.

Although your right about the honors degree, level 6 is enough as your degree doesn’t benefit the crèche.

salmocab wrote: »
    Where in the country is that, crèches are badly stuck for staff in Dublin and are paying between 12 and 15 euro an hour. Not great money but a lot better than min wage.

Although your right about the honors degree, level 6 is enough as your degree doesn’t benefit the crèche.

I would agree with this to a certain point. There is actually a government grant (paid to crèche managers) if their staff are qualified to degree level. In my last position, my manager was getting this in respect of my qualifications, yet I still earned the same as someone with little or no qualifications.
    All very unfair really. It seems everyone's a winner in the crèche business except the staff.

Would you think of opening your own creche business and bring the manager?
    Sounds like you are underselling yourself totally.
    I think it would be worthwhile paying for a consultantion with a career advisor at this point.
    Get recommendations for a good one.

I would agree with this to a certain point. There is actually a government grant (paid to crèche managers) if their staff are qualified to degree level. In my last position, my manager was getting this in respect of my qualifications, yet I still earned the same as someone with little or no qualifications.
    All very unfair really. It seems everyone's a winner in the crèche business except the staff.

They get an extra few quid from the ECCE scheme payments for having certain qualifications but it’s not a huge amount.
    Everyone is far from a winner in the crèche business. Staff are paid poorly, the owners are struggling apart from maybe the owners of chains who can afford to spread admin costs over a few places and parents have to pay high fees. In fairness mostly the children get good care though.
    It’s a tough business though and your unlikely to ever get far career wise.

As salnocab says its a tough gig for owners as well. Good few crèches available to rent in town near me. I'd leave the industry- unless u are one of the army of hse, tusla etc regulating it out of existence!

enricoh wrote: »
    As salnocab says its a tough gig for owners as well. Good few crèches available to rent in town near me. I'd leave the industry- unless u are one of the army of hse, tusla etc regulating it out of existence!

Next few years will start to see crèches closing as the workload is less about children and more about keeping Tusla happy. Not an industry I’d advise my daughter to go near.
    Ironically crèches in the right areas are turning away custom as they are full but still struggling.

Thanks for the reply.
    Just had two bad experiences working in two different creches. I lasted 2 months in my last job, though I did get a very good reference from my last employer.
    I found both roles very stressful and always felt no matter how hard I tried at my job everyday, it was just never enough.
    Just feeling so down, as I really wanted things to work out. I feel like I let everyone down and let my manager and colleagues down.
    I got a mediocre last performance review and I genuinely gave my job my best shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

My kids are in a creche and most of the workers have been there since my eldest started almost 4 years ago and they seem happy. This makes me think (or hope!) That they are treated well and some creches are good places to work. One girl I know in there is considering going down the route of teaching childcare - that might be worth looking into? Or it could be worth looking for a job in the county childcare committees? I'd second minding children yourself - afaik you can earn a certain amount tax free and at least you set your own terms? As a parent I know a good childminder is like gold dust. Re the clerical officer suggestion - competition for permanent co jobs is fierce and people generally have years of experience in office work as well as clerical qualifications to get these posts. Having said that, once you get in you will typically have great opportunities to climb further in the service if you want to

• Advertisement

Thank you so much.
    Is there any course I can do that I will be qualified to teach childcare? ( even to PLC level?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

The girl I know is doing a train the trainer course - not sure what level it's at etc. She has her level 8 chilrcare all and she'd have years of experience.
    Might be worth checking in with a childcare course provider to see exactly what they require so you can work towards it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mat cauthon

Todays teachers do not get a "cracking" pension - they will get not much more than the average state pension ( which is part of their pension ) and won't get it till they are 67, as it stands. They'd do much better to stay home, tip away in the crech, clock up their stamps, and draw the old age pension/with linked in private pension.

The poster cannot get into Hibernia, or any other primary teaching post grad withoug highter grade in irish. And soon to be Higher grade in maths.
    And Hibernia costs at least 20k and maybe more to do, once you factor in everything else. It is not an easy way into primary teaching.
    Also, I would say that child care in no way prepares someone to teach. It teaches you to mind them, on a 1 adult to 8 basis, with other adults in the room. It does in no way prepare you to take on 30 of them with linked problems, special needs, diagnosis, and learning abilities all on your own with no one else but you in the room.

Todays teachers do not get a "cracking" pension - they will get not much more than the average state pension ( which is part of their pension ) and won't get it till they are 67, as it stands. They'd do much better to stay home, tip away in the crech, clock up their stamps, and draw the old age pension/with linked in private pension.

A year and a halfs salary tax free, whats that 80-90k and half of final salary as pension.
    Linked in private pension wouldn't get a look in next to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

Have you thought about looking for a job with Tusla as an Access Worker, bringing children who are in foster care to visits with their birth parents or a Family Support Worker, working with vulnerable families on their own homes. If you call the local Tusla office they should be able to point you in the right direction for applying foe such jobs. It might involve working through an agency while you get experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mat cauthon

Nor would they have started paying into it at age 20, and paid into it consistently for 35-40 years. Also, those with private pensions get a separate old age pension, which public servants post 2004 do not get, it is deemed to be part of their pension, which has created a huge difficulty, as it cannot be claimed until 67, while those post 2004 may retire at 60, thus being left with a large shortfall in their "cracking" pension, which they have paid into for 35 years.
    Hate this private sector begrudging - go start paying into your pension at age 20, pay into it religiously for 40 years, and then when you are 60, you will have a decent pension.
    Or else, do what most of us sponging public servants did - go get a degree, get a job with second rate pay in the public services, and then you may be lucky enough to get a perm job.
    Of course, most public servants nowadays don't have perm jobs, are still on second rate pay, with no job security, and are still the focus of begrudgery from those who want first class public services, but don't want to pay for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

The extra capitation is paid to the creche not the manager. Part of the extra payment has to go to the staff member with the qualification. The payment to the creche isnt huge. And owning/running a creche is not a winner for the owners

Next few years will start to see crèches closing as the workload is less about children and more about keeping Tusla happy. Not an industry I’d advise my daughter to go near.
    Ironically crèches in the right areas are turning away custom as they are full but still struggling.

All the govt talk is about giving to parents and families and theres been no mention of making things easy for the creches. Creches are the equivilant of a social service that govt wants very little to do with but want to regulate the bejaysus out of it and dictate how it should be run. To pay staff all staff a better salary (€15p/h+) fees would have to be increased dramatically. Theres going to be a severe shortage of creche/pre school places in the next few years

neris wrote: »
    All the govt talk is about giving to parents and families and theres been no mention of making things easy for the creches. Creches are the equivilant of a social service that govt wants very little to do with but want to regulate the bejaysus out of it and dictate how it should be run. To pay staff all staff a better salary (€15p/h+) fees would have to be increased dramatically. Theres going to be a severe shortage of creche/pre school places in the next few years

It’s already difficult in lots of places in Dublin to get a place, lots won’t take part time because if you give someone 3 days a week then you are unlikely to find someone for the other 2. They have been lumbered with the cost of the admin for the government grants yet have got nothing in return. Something is going to have to give eventually. My wife is a manager (not owner) in a crèche and has had letters from TDs looking for ECCE places for people.

• Advertisement

They have been lumbered with the cost of the admin for the government grants yet have got nothing in return. Something is going to have to give eventually.

Unfortunately the industry is to weak and widespread to stand up to the govt. Smaller operators are petrified of having money cut and been unable to pay staff so let the govt bully them and the bigger guys are to snowed under with paperwork and keeping parents happy that they cant/wont stand up and say enough's enough. Unfortunately its not very easy to close a creche for a day and go shout outside the dail as the closure would affect families rather then inconvenience them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Sorry OP i can't offer much more advice than already given. But i do want to add that as a parent i highly value creche workers like yourself and it really bothers me how undervalued this type of preschool care is in Ireland. We pay what i would consider high fees and yet i know the workers are not benefitting as much as they should (actually I'm pretty sure the owner is also not benefitting either).

Advertisement