Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How the hell did this get planning?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Whats wrong with it it stands on its on merit/strengths while harmonizing with the existing materials.

A Pastiche house to mock the architectural style neighbouring houses would be alot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mariomaker

Which the two horrible houses or the nice house lol?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The last thing you want to do with these kind of infill sites is mimic the traditional buildings around them. So, the principal of doing something contrasting I have no problem with. I don't like that particular design and it's not what I'd have suggested for that site but I can see how it got planning permission - no brown envelopes needed for that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Lookswise I wouldnt be a fan of the front of it. But I'd hardly deprive someone their dream home because of that reason.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

How the hell did this get planning?

From the link you posted:
    It reflects a preference on the part of the planning authorities in areas such as this, where there is an existing distinctive historic architectural vernacular, that new buildings not replicate the architecture of the past but showcase a modern design sensibility instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Think it's a gorgeous modern take on a "brown stone". Surrounding houses are corpo/workmens 2 up 2 downs not elegant Georgian townhouses, no particularly striking features imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Seriously think its hideous - must be just me so:pac:..could have tried to match the stone at the very least

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Meh... Iv seen a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭utmbuilder

Think its a disgrace iconic street from the past.

That is a genuinely ugly building, though I can see what they were going for. It looks the architect got distracted by a game of tetris half way through the facade...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The planning file references are

4431/16Sub01
    4431/16
    0003/17

The documentation can be downloaded from http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/wphappcriteria.display

I concur that it is easy to go wrong with pastiche and that contemporary design should be used, provided the new building is not incongruous with its neighbours. However, I think the flat roof / parapet, brick colour, windows and lack of a boot scraper are intolerable at various levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

The flat style roof is a bit at odds with.the houses either side.
    Having said that.i like both styles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

It is a total disgrace. Nothing blends in. Could be a different story if it was in an area of detached houses with plenty of space between them. Having said that, it will probably win some obscure award for architecture soon!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

tradesman wrote: »
    It is a total disgrace. Nothing blends in. Could be a different story if it was in an area of detached houses with plenty of space between them. Having said that, it will probably win some obscure award for architecture soon!

That's the point, for it not to blend in.
    In 100 years or whatever, people can view this streetscape and clearly see the different periods of construction and architecture styles.

I think it looks quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I think it blends in really well. It's not 1900 anymore, that style isn't done anymore and simulating it would look even worse. I think it's tastefully inoffensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,922 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's an interesting design but just doesn't work where it's located.

The minimalist design makes it look sandwiched in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Seriously think its hideous - must be just me so:pac:..could have tried to match the stone at the very least

Not matching the stone is the point...

Do you never watch grand designs?

Faking stuff to match in is a no no

And so it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭Thud

2018-11-11_lif_45616733_I1.JPG

the inspiration for the design...
    futurama___bender___dribbbler.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

No pebbledash
    tut tut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

kieran. wrote: »
    Whats wrong with it it stands on its on merit/strengths while harmonizing with the existing materials.

Jaysus, Stevie is that you? Any chance of an autograph, maybe a few bars of I just called:D

No, not just you. It's one of the ugliest houses I've ever seen...and probably cost a half a million! The ones either side aren't exactly architectural gems either mind, but they are what they are and that hideous piece of crap just stands out like a sore thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's things like this that convince me that the Irish are aesthetically challenged. How come the Italians can put a modern building next to older ones without looking awful?

This looks like sh*t stuck to an army blanket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Why is there such a shortage of rentals?

Well...... we build 2 storey houses in the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I can see the need for modern infills but this one is horrible. Proportions should be in harmony even if they are different; here they are completely random and the house looks broken. Looks like a botched project with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

strandroad wrote: »
    I can see the need for modern infills but this one is horrible. Proportions should be in harmony even if they are different; here they are completely random and the house looks broken. Looks like a botched project with good intentions.
    I agree.
    Should be four stories high, otherwise that whole streetscape will be forever unchanged and forever low density

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Thud wrote: »
    the inspiration for the design...
    futurama___bender___dribbbler.jpg

Kind of ironic that you'd pick a character from a cartoon based on a 'person' from the past, trying to blend in, in a world from the future.
    I once lived in Stoneybatter, in a house similar to these. They were cold, damp, small... little boxes of rooms cluttered together. I'd imagine the interior of this house is much more user friendly then the originals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

What’s with the modern fetish for flat roofs?

I dint particularly like that design but there’s no problem with modern housing offsetting old housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's things like this that convince me that the Irish are aesthetically challenged. How come the Italians can put a modern building next to older ones without looking awful?

This looks like sh*t stuck to an army blanket.

Self deprecating nonsense.

Go to the continent you'll see similar designs in city's across the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The comment on brown envelopes just illustrates the assumption everything is corrupt. Regular planning allows for this and there was no corruption. Of course people making the claim will affect other's perceptions to believe in corruption

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

listermint wrote: »
    Self deprecating nonsense.

Go to the continent you'll see similar designs in city's across the place.

I am on the continent pal. It's hard to beat us for ugly misplaced buildings.
    At least the Soviet style apartments are functional and people still live in them unlike our own well known experiment. And they didn't turn into ghettos either.

Advertisement