Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas present for 5yr old boy - need ideas!

Options
  • 21-11-2018 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what they're getting their 5/6yr old boy? Or what they've bought in the past that was a hit. My little fella wants football gear which he'll get but I'd like to pick a toy or two also. He has oceans of lego and will get a small set in his gifts. I wanted to get him a STEM construction set of some sort but the one I wanted is sold out on amazon. Any ideas for something that they can keep coming back to? Not really interested in super hero/cartoon presents - they've never been a success here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

We got an adult rebounder a few weeks ago as it's too wet and cold for their outdoor trampoline, the boys are on and off it the whole time, the 5yr old was a few pounds overweight but that fat seems to have disappeared now, they've a chair beside it they jump onto it from and then bounce over the couch, it's like a little mini assault course.
    You'll probably balk at my second suggestion, paw patrol on a roll for the Xbox, wife is anti computer games but she did note that they seem to be figuring out puzzles and helping each other out instead of busting each other. They only get it every other day for half an hour or so but there getting along better and learning to share and help. Wife still doesn't like it but it's better than them both going into zombie mode Infront of the TV.
    The boys are 3&5.
    3rd suggestion some hot wheels track, they play with it every day and most of the kids that come over play with it as well, girls seem to like it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

We got an adult rebounder a few weeks ago as it's too wet and cold for their outdoor trampoline, the boys are on and off it the whole time, the 5yr old was a few pounds overweight but that fat seems to have disappeared now, they've a chair beside it they jump onto it from and then bounce over the couch, it's like a little mini assault course.
    You'll probably balk at my second suggestion, paw patrol on a roll for the Xbox, wife is anti computer games but she did note that they seem to be figuring out puzzles and helping each other out instead of busting each other. They only get it every other day for half an hour or so but there getting along better and learning to share and help. Wife still doesn't like it but it's better than them both going into zombie mode Infront of the TV.
    The boys are 3&5.
    3rd suggestion some hot wheels track, they play with it every day and most of the kids that come over play with it as well, girls seem to like it a lot.

Thanks, they have an indoor trampoline which is great. We don't have an xbox and I might leave it a while yet. Although I appreciate what you're saying.. they used to watch Team Umizoomi here and learned all their shapes, figured out sequences etc. Going to look at hot wheels now....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How about a telescope and a star guide? I always that fascinating as a kid and even with a relatively cheap/low power telescope, you can see craters on the moon, which is awesome.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I wouldn't worry about it too much. My son goes 5 a couple of weeks after christmas. I just plan on getting him a watch, some activity books, a bit of lego and some stuff to add to his train tracks. And depending on any deals, maybe a transformer or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

My little boy is just gone seven, but he got hot wheels for his fifth birthday, for Christmas last year when he was six, and again this year for his birthday. He doesn’t play with them daily, but he does play with them often, and he loves them.
    He got a marble run last year (i bought it in Lidl, cheap as chips), and it also gets great use!
    His little brother has a wooden train set (again, Lidl’s finest), and it’s actually the seven year old who gets the most use out of that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I know it seems mad, but a 5/6 year old is starting to get into reading so I would consider a kindle. Very soon he'll be consuming Wimpy Kids and Dork Diaries etc by the bucketful and a kindle will save you space and - long term - money.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

He's asked Santa for a playmobil set, but it's not a big one so we'll probably get another to go along with it. Then his stocking is sorted with pokemon stuff and a couple of other small knick-nacks. He usually gets a present off Mum & Dad so I've to sort out that one, and the rest of the family usually ask me what he'd like so I plan to suggest books or book tokens as he's outgrowing his current library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Five year old here will be getting a maxi deluxe micro scooter, his two year old brother will get the mini one.
    He loves art so we will add to his craft box. Some new books, board games(junior monopoly and junior Cluedo. He’s asked for a remote controlled wall climber and a supernova?! they appear to be reduced for Black Friday so he will get them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

We love magformers. They are expensive but hours of fun

• Advertisement

bp wrote: »

I’m thinking of investing in some this Christmas- I don’t know would they get the use though! I can’t decide if I’d be buying them because I think they should like them, or because they actually would!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

https://labo.nintendo.com/

Excellent gear, and our 5yr old is showing us how to do it instead of the other way around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

jlm29 wrote: »
    bp wrote: »

I’m thinking of investing in some this Christmas- I don’t know would they get the use though! I can’t decide if I’d be buying them because I think they should like them, or because they actually would!

Lidl had a version of this last week, didn’t buy them but was tempted! No idea if they’re as good as the originals but in fairness to Lidl usually their toys are fairly good. My local one still has a few boxes.

My 5 year old loves play doh, and also drawing sets and colouring stuff always goes down well with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

https://goo.gl/images/GwSDuL

Simple stocking filler, got one on Amazon for our daughter.

I had a mess about with it when it came and it’s really easy to use and more then a bit addictive.

sillysocks wrote: »
    Lidl had a version of this last week, didn’t buy them but was tempted! No idea if they’re as good as the originals but in fairness to Lidl usually their toys are fairly good. My local one still has a few boxes.

Their toys generally are very good. I didn’t see these, I must have a look if I can get in without the gang

Their toys generally are very good. I didn’t see these, I must have a look if I can get in without the gang

https://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/www_lidl_ie_3x/hs.xsl/productPageFinder.xml?listId=620&articleId=13640&rdeLocaleAttr=en&productId=13640&countryCode=IE

• Registered Users Posts: 16,135 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Orchard games are great

https://www.orchardtoys.com/dept/family-games_d0123.htm

I get them in Nutgrove shopping centre but i think Argos have some

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Toy dinosaurs - avoid the €15 ones. :)

Board games - 'Snakes and Ladders' and the like.

Scooter / bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

My two boys really enjoy them and all children that visit do too. The problem is you need a few boxes to really get good building. Mine build car garages, teddy houses, random things that I cannot figure out and drape them off the table to see how many can hang. We are getting more this year from grandparents

I would recommend getting the branded ones as I have seen the non branded break and the magnet fall out and some only seem to stick together on one side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

My boy was 5 last Christmas and the Hotwheels garage went down a treat, still played with a year later.

We also got the Mouse Trap board game and that still gets played a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This might be a good hot wheels track, it's easy tidy up and no batteries required.... https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toys/construction-and-cars/hot-wheels/hot-wheels-playsets/hot-wheels-track-builder-system-race-crate/p/166983 Not in stock until next week.

yellow hen wrote: »
    I wanted to get him a STEM construction set of some sort but the one I wanted is sold out on amazon.

Not sure if 5 is within the recommended age for it but have you had a look on you tube at any of the reviews for "Snap Circuits"? Might be the kind of thing you are looking for.

Things like the 3Doodler of "3doodler Start" for younger kids are also quite good but the cost of refils is very expensive. And we were consistently using more of that material than the instructions for the more "set" ideas were recommending. They seem to massively underestimate the consumption rate. There are versions of it that use the industrial refils though but essentially do the same thing so the refils can be bought in bulk at much reduced prices. You wont get all the same pretty colors of course - but definitely get significantly more material for your money.

My 5 year old has recently gone mad for Jigsaws. So that makes life easy for me. Not sure how long the phase will last though.

At 5 though I find that most kids want to spend time with the parents. Rather than presents that they are expected to "run along and play now".

So they often do not care what the present is. So maybe also buy something _you_ will get excited about using and be into playing with. As long as it keeps you happy and engaged and interested and focused - your child will enjoy coming along for the ride and doing it with you.

Myself I got a laugh out of constructing jewelry and stuff for awhile. My son of course started off with "Thats for girls!" and stormed off in something of a tantrum at first as kids are wont to do when they do not like a gift.

So I just went at it myself - laughed out loud at my failures and comical errors - shouted things like "oh no oh no oh no whats gonna haaaaapennnn!!!!" as I was trying something difficult - cheered loudly when something difficult worked. And before I knew it he was back by my side shouting instructions and eventually taking part and getting mad into it himself.

Kids love toys but at that age above all they want _your_ time. So think about you as much as the kid when you make your choices. Because if _you_ do not enjoy that shared time - they wont much either.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My 7 year old got Snap Circuits last year and loves it. I think 5 is a little young for it though.

Just to keep this thread alive a bit - as I like the idea of a thread of slightly alternative presents to the norm....

Looking around a few websites two things that jumped out at me as being pretty cool were:

1) Q-BA-MAZE 2.0 Marble Maze Stunt Sets - just like a marble run only a little more extreme.
    2) Off bits - Kinda like Geomag with attitude. Geomag generally being just magnetic sticks and metal balls that you can use for construction - Off bits seem to be a little quirkier.

Like Snap Circuits maybe Off Bits are a little bit - but not much - ahead of a 5 year old. But The QBA maze seems right about that age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

It's too late for this christmas but it could be a suggestion for next year or a birthday, how about a subscription to the kids' edition of National Geographic magazine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Demonique wrote: »
    It's too late for this christmas but it could be a suggestion for next year or a birthday, how about a subscription to the kids' edition of National Geographic magazine?

I actually tried to do this last year and at the time, they wouldnt ship to here. Even though my husband recieves the adult version every month :rolleyes:

Thanks for the birthday suggestions. He got a combination of books, construction type toys (lego, stem set), a football table and hot wheels. Nothing expensive but all loved.

Advertisement