Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom refurbishment

Options
  • 21-11-2018 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Hi

All the houses in my estate, bar mine of course have an ensuite off the main bedroom and a small bathroom. My house (which I bought last year) has one big bathroom and no ensuite. As I have 5 kids and myself queuing up for showers in the morning, I'd like to divide the existing bathroom back into an ensuite/small bathroom.

The scope of works will be as follows:
    - remove existing toilet/sink/bath/shower/tiles
    - erect stud wall partition
    - form a new door opening from bed room into proposed ensuite
    - alter plumbing and waste pipes to suit works
    - pumped shower/toilet/sink in ensuite with floor tiles and walls tiled around shower
    - toilet/sink/bath and electric shower in bathroom with tiled floor and tiled around bath
    - new lights in ensuite/bathroom

Bog standard fittings and tiles will suffice. Don't want/need anything gold plated. Any idea what this should cost, and I say "should" as I've gotten mad quotes to date of between €15,000-€20,000?

Any recommendations in the north Kildare area for companies that won't rip me off?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Before I even got to your figures, I was thinking this is a 15k plus job.

I don't think you are necessarily been ripped off with the quotes of 15k.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

I’m also refurbishing my attic (it’s already converted but needs modernisation). Again I was getting quotes of €10,000 to €17,000. So I priced the materials today and they came to €1,100 incl Vat based on the same scope of works and bill of quantities that I gave the guys quoting for the works. So they’re looking for 9 to 16 thousand for labour and profit?????? That’s taking the urine. I’ll be doing that job myself and by the looks of it, the bathroom too. Might mean a few weeks off work and a lot of sweat but the trades are out to kill the golden goose again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Come back and confirm material costs and how many hours labour. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I do this kind of work for a living and you will be surprised bow quickly costs escalate with materials, you dont get much materials for €1000 Nowadays so I can only assume the attic job is quite small?
    The worst part of my job is telling people who have a completely inadequate budget for a job that it cannot be done correctly for the figure they have in mind. The hardware and tile shops are the ones making the big profits and I find it quite insulting to say the trades men are the ones coming away with the thousands quoted as clear profit.
    You can by all means do the job yourself but as you point out you'll have to take a couple of weeks off work and most likely end up with a substandard job that you'll have no comeback on and have youre bathrooms out of commission for how long?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,089 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The proposed bathroom refurb includes significant electrical work in wet rooms.

As far as I'm aware that's illegal to DIY, and brave.

• Advertisement
Advertisement