Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Neill Gone - Next Rep Ireland Manager?

• 21-11-2018 11:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Breaking news. O'Neill an Keane have resigned

So Who's next?

Stephen Kenny?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Yeap it's on Sean O'Rourke now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Give Keane a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Michael

Swapsy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Breaking news. O'Neill an Keane have resigned

So Who's next?

Stephen Kenny?

Noel King

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Sam Allardyce?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

listermint wrote: »
    Michael

Swapsy

Just thought the exact same thing

:D

McCarthy even money fav kenny second 6/1

The options are bleak but certainly right move for them to be gone. Delaney really has to look at his own position but he won’t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Sam Allardyce?

Hoofball:D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Sam Allardyce?

Big Sam is the hero we need....

Allardyce-3.jpg

Crack open the pints of wine Folks.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Michael O'Neill occurred to me too - but I wouldn't assume he's leave his own country to manage a team who are really no better!

The FAI will leave it several months - until the latest possible moment, to save shillings! So this thread will be around a long time with lots of names!

Mick McCarthy is the other obvious candidate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Changing deckchairs on the Titanic. There wont be any real change until Delaney is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Wenger

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

The last year has been hell but there were some good times before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Bring in Pardiola.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Delighted!! Bring back Mick!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Like to see Kenny but it'll be McCarthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Be surprised if Big Sam is not our first choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Whoever gets it, the salary should be reduced drastically. €2m per year is terrible value for money and puts us in a position that is hard to sack the manager when the going gets tough.
    Poland manager - €260k per year
    Swiss manager - €800k
    Croatian manager - €700k
    Welsh manager - €400k
    Dutch manager - €600k
    Danish manager - €900k

Heart says give it to Stephen Kenny, head says give it to Mick McCarthy.

Wait until they fly 'Arry Redknapp out of the I'm a celeb jungle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,338 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Will be very interesting to see who Ireland target.

Will they go for a person with Irish links (McCarthy an obvious link, Kenny probably the most interesting possibility, Hughton still a PL manager so highly unlikely). Or, will they just go for best available regardless of nationality or links - in which case who knows. Does Raymond Domenech finally get the job he is linked to every freaking time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It all depends on the money that is on offer, but for what I reckon will realistically be on offer, Allardyce please.

There's no one better placed to create a plan that works and to squeeze every little bit out of this group of players. For those that want good football, he's not the hoofball dinosaur he's made out to be either and I'd encourage anyone thinking that way to dig a little deeper.

That said, international management has proven time and time again to be an attractive proposition for managers if the money is right so if something drastic happens and the FAI decide to loosen the purse strings then it's a different conversation.

Stephen Kenny and Michael O'Neill would be joke appointments.

My preference would be Mick McCarthy but I can see Delaney being a bit tighter with the contract this time around so paying Kenny a fraction of what MON/Keane were on would make sense from that POV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Brian Kerr? Or is he too long out of it now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It will be McCarthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Paully D wrote: »
    It all depends on the money that is on offer, but for what I reckon will realistically be on offer, Allardyce please.

There's no one better placed to create a plan that works and to squeeze every little bit out of this group of players. For those that want good football, he's not the hoofball dinosaur he's made out to be either and I'd encourage anyone thinking that way to dig a little deeper.

That said, international management has proven time and time again to be an attractive proposition for managers if the money is right so if something drastic happens and the FAI decide to loosen the purse strings then it's a different conversation.

I dont want Michael O'Neill but suggesting they're joke appointments while asking for allardyce speaks volumes about your knowledge of football styles and also the work being done at underage level throughout Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Wait until they fly 'Arry Redknapp out of the I'm a celeb jungle.

If he walks out of I'm a Celeb we know we are ****ed!!

The one way Big Sam will be a difference to O'Neill is, O'Neill is Mr. positive to the press - Big Sam doesn't hesitate in throwing his players under the bus - as seen at Everton earlier this year!!

What a ridiculous post, the purse strings have been far too loose as is over the last few years and you are dismissing a very successful manager to a job that has plenty of LOI experience in it.

Blazer wrote: »

FAI wouldn't give it him!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Blazer wrote: »

No chance. He'll never get a job from the FAI again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

I'd be shocked if it's not Sam / Mick tbh.
    Would Stephen Kenny want it? Don't get me wrong I've a lot of time for him as a manager and a person but I don't know if he would genuinely take it at the moment he has a pretty decent thing going with Dundalk.

What would be interesting would be if Kenny did take it would the attitude to LOI players change in the national setup or would it stay the same?

There has been a lot of talk about lee carsley doing good things would he be up for an assistant role?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Chris Hughton is probably the Irishman currently managing at the highest level and has done an excellent job at Brighton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Bring back “de gaffer”!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Chris Hughton is probably the Irishman currently managing at the highest level and has done an excellent job at Brighton.

I don't think he is an option as I'm not sure he would want it atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭rodders999

Give it to Giggsy till the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

He wouldn't touch it Id say

And you have summed up why he won't want it IMO

Tippex wrote: »
    I don't think he is an option as I'm not sure he would want it atm.

England can't even get a PL manager to leave the PL these days - what chance Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Bit left field but I wouldn't mind giving Jokanovic a go.
    Plays good football and is progressive. International football would suit him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

AGC wrote: »
    What a ridiculous post, the purse strings have been far too loose as is over the last few years and you are dismissing a very successful manager to a job that has plenty of LOI experience in it.

The salary is very good as is, no doubt about it, but all I mean is that if they were to go a bit higher it would probably open us up to the next tier of manager.

Top managers have gone to similar international teams to us in the past and would do so again if the money was right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Chris Hughton would be the one id want but lets be realistic itll never happen

Stephen kenny if give it too as i think hed be something different and fresh ideas

id take big mick back in a heartbeat over allardyce and the rest of the usual mentioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Lee Carsley maybe he is going really well at Manchester City academy with Mark Kennedy as his assistant.
    Brendan Rodgers would be great but we could not afford him.
    Or Brian McDermott he did a really good job at Reading and is currently out of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Mick McCarthy gets my vote. Or Stephen Kenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Allardyce is/was quite a progressive manager. One of the first ever in U.K. to use things like Opta Stats etc, psychologists with his players to get extra out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If Stephen Kenny cannot be persuaded (he might be advised to stick with Dundalk and parley that into a decent job in England and see if he can work his way up the ladder) then the FAI (who are the real problem - with MO'N gone attention really should be turned to Delaney and co) should consider Steven Gerrard! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

About time. We can't justify paying his kind wages for managing the side we have.
    Time for a new approach, the gravy train of Premier league players is a memory, time to build from the ground up.
    Can we get rid of delaney too?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

I think Delaney will go for McCarthy, play the old nostalgia card to distract supporters while JD continues to do sweet FA at the FAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

campo wrote: »
    Lee Carsley maybe he is going really well at Manchester City academy with Mark Kennedy as his assistant.
    Brendan Rodgers would be great but we could not afford him.
    Or Brian McDermott he did a really good job at Reading and is currently out of work.

Its bee a long time since Brian McDermott had any success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

nullzero wrote: »
    Can we get rid of delaney too?

Unlikely, considering Delaney has surrounded himself with yes men and runs the FAI like his own little fiefdom, I don't see it happening anytime soon :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

GranularCautiousAcornbarnacle-small.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement