Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Neill Gone - Next Rep Ireland Manager?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I`m clearly talking about Bate Borisov. If you`re going to comment on football at least make it convincing you watch a game every so often.

5 times in their history is regular?? Maybe if you think 1 win and 1 draw in 6 is a “run”!! The team that Bohs beat 3-0 a few years ago?? Much more convincing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

5 times in their history is regular?? Maybe if you think 1 win and 1 draw in 6 is a “run”!! The team that Bohs beat 3-0 a few years ago?? Much more convincing

5 times over the last 10 years hardly 5 times over a period of 30 years so yes still regulars! Bohs beat them 3-0 in 2003 that’s 15 years ago! Really haven’t a clue about this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Happy with McCarthy as the appointment. I think he has his work seriously cut out for him but people need to get behind him and the team for the coming six month qualifying process

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

“Another good run”?? He got one win and one draw out of six games??

You know they had to play other rounds to get to the group stage don't you?

Actually, you probably don't :rolleyes:

fullstop wrote: »
    You know they had to play other rounds to get to the group stage don't you?

Actually, you probably don't :rolleyes:

As a Celtic fan I’m very aware of this.

sugarman wrote: »
    Come on.. BATE have qualified for the group stages of both the CL and EL 9 out 10 times in the last decade. The only time they didnt is when Dundalk beat them to it.

Its an achievement.

Sure look at the records of other English, Irish and Scottish teams in the competition.

How did Burnley get on in the qualifiers this season? A team stacked full of Irish players.. Or Hibs? Or Cork who faced the same opposition as Dundalk. They all failed to progress.

Pat Fenlon got to the Europa group stages too. He’s also managed a Scottish team. Should he be in the mix too?? As I said before, no one will know who Stephen Kenny is in five years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Why won’t anyone know who he is in 5 years? If he isn’t Irish coach he’ll still be at Dundalk and continue to win everything as he’s been doing. Nothing changes. So if people know who he is now why would they suddenly forget?

Unless of course he heads overseas

Pat Fenlon got to the Europa group stages too. He’s also managed a Scottish team. Should he be in the mix too?? As I said before, no one will know who Stephen Kenny is in five years.

Michael O'Neill you're thinking off, he got Rovers to Europa League, Fenlon got Shels to the 3rd (last) qualifying stage of the Champions League something Kenny done with Dundalk! Fenlon also responsible for Hibs and Bohs most embarrassing results in Europe!

Kenny still fairly young who knows where he will be in 5 years tbh, personally I'd like to see him given an opportunity in England, hopefully been a serious candidate for the Ireland job gives him this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

AGC wrote: »
    Can’t see it either. Any decent young lad is bypassing U-21.

Would expect if they were to get him he would be U-21 manager and director of underage football or something like that

Looks like this is going to happen and if he does get 21’s with control of underage it would be a good move by the FAI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Kenny 21s manager
    Mick Mccarthy senior manager

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Interesting move by the FAI

Stephen Kenny to replace McCarthy after 2020 finals

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/1124/1013087-stephen-kenny-to-replace-mccarthy-after-2020-finals/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

RTE are saying Kenny will replace Mick after the Euros. WTF. That’s just bizzare, committing to both that timeframe and the man. What if Mick does exceptionally well and wants to stay on? Or conversely what if he tanks and walks within a year? What if Kenny is “Kenny who?” in 2 years and someone else is flavour of the month?

I wonder how much of a guarantee it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Typical Delaney call, trying to hide behind two managers now. This is all for visuals with fans

McCarthy has a cracking two years what then?

Fcukin joke set up. Pick one man and back him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Strange days indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Mad, I read an article that suggested just that scenario during the week and thought there was no way the FAI would have the foresight to try it.

I think it's a cracking idea and that Kenny should be involved in a real sense with the Irish senior team now, having monthly meetings with McCarthy and setting in place now a plan for World Cup 2022 qualifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Great plan... On paper :)

Mad, I read an article that suggested just that scenario during the week and thought there was no way the FAI would have the foresight to try it.

I think it's a cracking idea and that Kenny should be involved in a real sense with the Irish senior team now, having monthly meetings with McCarthy and setting in place now a plan for World Cup 2022 qualifying.

It’s an awful plan. It’s one thing giving Kenny the 21s and just seeing how it goes with a plan of sorts for the future, but a 2 year plan. Backing neither manager now.

If Mick has a great 2 years they’ll shaft Kenny

What if Kenny is woeful with the 21s

Just makes no sense

I retract my good call by FAI

Delighted to see kenny involved and yes hopefully a stepping stone to senior job but to actually give a date is bizarre! What if McCarthy is flying it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I like the idea of having a manager who has spent the previous 2 years with the u21s, shocked Kenny agreed to this though, seems like a risky step for his career.

What happens if we're somehow playing unbelievably well under Mick? Does he step down anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

People will find a way to make a negative out of this I'm sure. Very sensible move by the FAI for a change. Let Kenny stay out of the spotlight and concentrate on building the future. McCarthy is the perfect guy to get the most out of the current squad of players. Win-win.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

A terrible call by Delaney absolute madness -surprised Mick agreed to this

Morrison J wrote: »
    People will find a way to make a negative out of this I'm sure. Very sensible move by the FAI for a change. Let Kenny stay out of the spotlight and concentrate on building the future. McCarthy is the perfect guy to get the most out of the current squad of players. Win-win.

McCarthy qualified us for 2020. We make the quarters or semis. Team has real momentum.

What do the FAI do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I was fuming yesterday but I'm really happy with this setup. Some real actual vision being shown by the FAI, I'm actually shocked by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

As has been mentioned already what if McCarthy does great? Does he still have to step aside? What if Kenny has a nightmare run with U21's? Seemingly his contract states that he will take over senior role anyway. Very strange idea. Also as a Dundalk fan I'm sickened by this news. Huge boots to fill now.

Soups123 wrote: »
    McCarthy qualified us for 2020. We make the quarters or semis. Team has real momentum.

What do the FAI do?

How are you making a situation where we make the semi final of a major tournament a negative? No matter what happens in that case we'll be in a far far better position than we are now.

We've got the two best candidates on board in the set up. Try being happy.

AGC wrote: »
    I retract my good call by FAI

Delighted to see kenny involved and yes hopefully a stepping stone to senior job but to actually give a date is bizarre! What if McCarthy is flying it?

Actually looking at it I do think it’s a good move and could work (hopefully)

Give kenny exposure to the senior squad and bring through 1 or 2 lads.

Good luck to them, good to have a plan in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What a sh*t show this is.

All just a way for Delaney to shrug his shoulders in a few years when it all goes tits up and try to claim that this was the proof that he DID in fact try to implement a cohesive structure from the top down.

Pure exercise in self-preservation. And I can see by some of the responses to it that it will work for him too.

If Delaney truly cared about the Under 21s he wouldn't have had Noel fecking King in charge all those years. The man is a total chancer. A crafty one, but a chancer nonetheless.

It's....bonkers!

Has any country ever done anything like it, with a preordained time for the handover?

It's like a really bad idea that someone thought was brilliant and stuck with it.

• Advertisement

How are you making a situation where we make the semi final of a major tournament a negative? No matter what happens in that case we'll be in a far far better position than we are now.

We've got the two best candidates on board in the set up. Try being happy.

Answer the question. McCarthy has a brilliant 2 years. Do we let him go?

I can only imagine McCarthy only wanted the 2 years or something?

Answer the question. McCarthy has a brilliant 2 years. Do we let him go?

I can't really answer that because I have no idea what the actual terms of the contract are. I'd like to think there's an option to delay Kenny's appointment in a case like that.

Either way it's hardly a disastrous scenario is it? Reaching the semi-final of a major tournament and having to choose between two top class managers to keep going forward with.

Lunacy -Worst decision yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Typical FAI bollix.

RTE reporting that Kenny will also oversee the development of all underage teams from u15 to u19 (whilst directly managing the u21s).

Really can't see how people are seeing the negative side in this.

I can't really answer that because I have no idea what the actual terms of the contract are. I'd like to think there's an option to delay Kenny's appointment in a case like that.

Either way it's hardly a disastrous scenario is it? Reaching the semi-final of a major tournament and having to choose between two top class managers to keep going forward with.

The fact you can’t answer it proves the point. We have no idea how the next 2 years will go but they put a commitment in place with Kenny formally for him to take over.

It’s an absolutely shocking decision if confirmed as true.

RTE reporting that Kenny will also oversee the development of all underage teams from u15 to u19 (whilst directly managing the u21s).

Um.

The negative is that he might do terribly. McCarthy might do great. But the handover will take place anyway. Or yet again it's a problem to buy out.

The fact that a manager has been sacked 1 day before his 1st day -other than that ya its grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So is Kenny stepping down as Dundalk manager now?

Or is he just going to do a part time job for the FAI?

The fact you can’t answer it proves the point. We have no idea how the next 2 years will go but they put a commitment in place with Kenny formally for him to take over.

It’s an absolutely shocking decision if confirmed as true.

It proves absolutely nothing bar the fact I don't know what the terms of the contract are.

If the FAI have the option to keep Mick after he leads us to Euro 2020 glory I'm pretty sure they will. Kenny can wait in the wings a bit longer and keep building for the long term. If Kenny decides to leave then we've still got two years out of him. No harm.

It's a complete non-issue. McCarthy and Kenny are obviously happy with whatever caveats are in the contract if they're willing to sign.

Zico ! wrote: »
    The fact that a manager has been sacked 1 day before his 1st day -other than that ya its grand

There's no way he'd be going for this if he wasn't behind the idea. I suppose we'll know more tomorrow.

So is Kenny stepping down as Dundalk manager now?

Or is he just going to do a part time job for the FAI?

A few tweets I've seen have him as leaving Dundalk, but probably need to wait until 3pm tomorrow unless Dundalk release something.

Good decision in theory! McCarthy is in the game a long time he obviously agreed and is happy with this arrangement! Kenny gets his chance but isn’t thrown into the deep end just yet has a chance to mold his ways on the U21s which will hopefully see a few of those players step up into senior ranks when he takes over!

Give it a chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Sacked? He obviously agreed to it if it's happening.

How do you know Mick didn't just want to do the one campaign anyway?

• Advertisement

Do you think McCarthy is only finding out himself now too? He's obviously happy with the situation. If he is then why take issue really?

It proves absolutely nothing bar the fact I don't know what the terms of the contract are.

If the FAI have the option to keep Mick after he leads us to Euro 2020 glory I'm pretty sure they will. Kenny can wait in the wings a bit longer and keep building for the long term. If Kenny decides to leave then we've still got two years out of him. No harm.

It's a complete non-issue. McCarthy and Kenny are obviously happy with whatever caveats are in the contract if they're willing to sign.

We are talking about how it’s being reported, that Kenny is taking over in 2020.

If that’s not the case and Kenny is just the u21 manager with responsibilities for all underage then that’s normal and a great appointment.

Of course they're happy.

They are stepping into situation where they can fail miserably for the next 2 years without any consequence, because we've decided what's happening in 2020 anyway.

Um.

The negative is that he might do terribly. McCarthy might do great. But the handover will take place anyway. Or yet again it's a problem to buy out.

McCarthy doing great is not a negative. We'll still be in a better position than we are now. Isn't that why you hire a manager? To take you forward?

Do you think McCarthy is only finding out himself now too? He's obviously happy with the situation. If he is then why take issue really?

It’s not a bad position for Mick. He does great then pressure is in the FAI, if they stay with the plan he’ll get another job elsewhere leaving on a high.

If he performs poorly then he’s not sacked he steps aside as planned all along saving face

• Advertisement
Advertisement