Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Neill Gone - Next Rep Ireland Manager?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,466 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

People around here usually complain about the international break, but not this time

This is the international break that just keeps giving and giving

The comparisons last week with rugby
    The drab 0-0 draw
    The meetings
    The sacking
    The McCarthy news
    And now this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

jay0109 wrote: »
    Speculation now that seems to be coming from McCarthy sources that he knew nothing about the Kenny appointment and that Kenny is lined up to take over. High farce yet again from the FAI if true

I was actually wondering if it was going to go this way. If that's the case and they've done it without McCarthy agreeing then this is a balls up of the highest order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

Patww79 wrote: »
    I was actually wondering if it was going to go this way. If that's the case and they've done it without McCarthy agreeing then this is a balls up of the highest order.

Fingers crossed :)

secman wrote: »
    Fingers crossed :)

Sounds plausible too in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

Sounds plausible too in fairness.

Everything crossed :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

People around here usually complain about the international break, but not this time

This is the international break that just keeps giving and giving

The comparisons last week with rugby
    The drab 0-0 draw
    The meetings
    The sacking
    The McCarthy news
    And now this.

The drab 0-0 drawS

Possibly the drabbiest duo of games for us in an international break than I can ever remember!

Don't forget, also, JD picked up 14, 000 in pay within that period of time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Oh man, if they haven't cleared this in advance with McCarthy then that would be amazingly incompetent.....He'd still probably go for it though for the €2.4m salary over those 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

With Kenny succeeding McCarthy, his elder, does that mean he's Mick McCarthy's baby?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Because people cannot bring themselves to think that anything the FAI do might just be a good idea.

No less than a day ago people were giving out about the FAI and how short sighed they were by just appointing McCarthy to get us to 2020 and all that Delaney wanted was to se been at Euro 2020 in Dublin etc etc etc, and Stephen Kenny the poor guy was only meet by a contact of the FAI, they did not have to common courtesy to speak to him themselves etc etc

Now it turns out that McCarthy will just be in charge through to 2020 and then had over to Keeny who has already been working with the u21s and other age groups.

But now this longer term plan with a emphasis on youth is suddenly the most stupid idea every and typical of Delaney because something something something etc etc

The point I have been trying to make for the past few days that the people around here will never think anything eh FAI do as positive has just been proven.

All the people who wanted McCarthy to fail to show up the FAI now want him to succeed, to show up the FAI

Nail on the head.

I'm amazed by the reactions on here, thought people would be delighted with this. I think it's a great idea, we will have the experience of Mick McCarthy for the qualifiers and he will be expected to hit the ground running, that is why we gave him the job - his role is to get us to Euro 2020.

Stephen Kennys black marks against him were experience at international level, respect from the players and having to go straight into qualifiers for such an important campaign. They have basically all been removed by doing it this way. For now, we have a great coach overseeing the underage international teams and familiarizing himself with the young players coming through before he takes the senior job.

Can't believe I read one lad saying "what happens if we get to the semi finals of the euros? It's a disgrace!", if we get to the quarter finals of the euros then something has gone massively right!!

Excellent decision by the FAI, not something I say lightly. Still hope it doesn't take the pressure off Delaney but this appointment is the best outcome we could have hoped for IMO.

What kind of terrible journalism is this? How can he be no longer 'in the dark' about a decision that involves him? He either was, in the start, or he wasn't.

https://twitter.com/Quinner61/status/1066427677115076608?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    What kind of terrible journalism is this? How can he be no longer 'in the dark' about a decision that involves him? He either was, in the start, or he wasn't.

https://twitter.com/Quinner61/status/1066427677115076608?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

I'd say he just means that he was never in the dark despite rumours.

Roll on 3pm tomorrow!

Has there been anything out of Dundalk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Might be a few twists and turns in this yet. Yesterday it was a sure thing to be just Mick and Kenny was seemingly nowhere in the picture, suddenly it's a whole different story. I'll reserve judgement until we know 100% what's actually going to happen.

In one sense it does feel like a bit of a fudge decision, but I don't know, if it was the case to be the reality I'd be willing to get behind it. It does mean that the two names who most people were backing are both involved and potentially if done right - a big if - it could mean a relatively long sighted view is finally put in the place for the teams future. It seems, on paper, to be an ambitious plan from the FAI, so I'm not going to hang them for it now.

A lot of things would have to go right, but I'm not going to shoot down the idea just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I really like the idea of McCarthy stabilising things (hopefully), while Kenny does the cultivating from 21's and under, then a hand over in 2 years where Kenny has done the groundwork and can hit the ground running.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT...

The way this has been announced is so fooked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    The way this has been announced is so fooked up.

It hasn't been officially announced yet. How should it be announced according to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Does Kenny get a free pass with the under 21's now no matter what results they get?

Nail on the head.

I'm amazed by the reactions on here, thought people would be delighted with this. I think it's a great idea, we will have the experience of Mick McCarthy for the qualifiers and he will be expected to hit the ground running, that is why we gave him the job - his role is to get us to Euro 2020.

Stephen Kennys black marks against him were experience at international level, respect from the players and having to go straight into qualifiers for such an important campaign. They have basically all been removed by doing it this way. For now, we have a great coach overseeing the underage international teams and familiarizing himself with the young players coming through before he takes the senior job.

Can't believe I read one lad saying "what happens if we get to the semi finals of the euros? It's a disgrace!", if we get to the quarter finals of the euros then something has gone massively right!!

Excellent decision by the FAI, not something I say lightly. Still hope it doesn't take the pressure off Delaney but this appointment is the best outcome we could have hoped for IMO.

A few days ago McCarthy was a hoof-ball dinosaur that would not be able to get us out of the qualifiers

Now people are worried about a succession crises after a Euro semi-final

Some of the mental gymnastics people are doing is hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,214 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Very strange for sure.

Doesn't allow for:
    Mick doing fantastically well and wanting to stay on
    Stephen doing incredibly badly at the U21, why would you appoint a failure at U21 level into your senior position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Well if Mick does fantastically well and wants to stay in - isn't that a great potential problem to have?

I'd say he just means that he was never in the dark despite rumours.

Roll on 3pm tomorrow!

Has there been anything out of Dundalk?

He was the journalist who reported that McCarthy was 'in the dark' minutes before 'correcting' himself.

https://twitter.com/Quinner61/status/1066421472464392192?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

Corholio wrote: »
    He was the journalist who reported that McCarthy was 'in the dark' minutes before 'correcting' himself.

https://twitter.com/Quinner61/status/1066421472464392192?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

Quinn is a buffoon.

Makes Roy Curtis seem like Ireland's sporting answer to Hunter S. Thompson

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Arghus wrote: »
    Well if Mick does fantastically well and wants to stay in - isn't that a great potential problem to have?
    How is that a great problem?
    You have a manager that's doing well, but you get rid of him anyway?

Why not just appoint Mick as manager for 2 years and see how it goes?
    And appoint Kenny as U21 manager and see how it goes?

Why ties yourself into a situation in two years when you have no idea how it's gonna go?

Mick does well, SK does rubbish.

Sorry Mick, we have to get rid of you and move a failure into your job.

I would assume SK coming into the senior role would be dependent on him doing well with the u21s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

You only have to read some of the replies in this thread to see how Delaney has survived as long as he has.

The man who allowed Noel King to preside over mediocre campaign after mediocre campaign at the U-21s is now being praised for his visionary approach towards the side. You couldn't make it up.

Months and years I've read about O'Neill's caveman approach to football, begging for an alternative. And huzzah! We've appointed McCarthy who...erm...was despised at Ipswich for his caveman approach to football.

And it's a CERT, a CERT, I tells ya, that Kenny will do so well in this new role, because after all he did so well last time outside of his comfort zone when he was at Dunfermline, eh? That went so well, right? The legacy that was left there. Hmm? What's that? Oh, there was no legacy and he was sacked after leaving them second from bottom in Division One having been one of the favourites to go up at the start of the season?

Yeah, but never mind that, let's be optimistic because...eh...well... what exactly?

If like me you think appointing a manager in 2 years time is nuts.

Or if like others you think appointing a manager in 2 years time is brilliant.

Can we all agree that, right now, with stories flying around about whether the stop gap knew he was a stop gap, it's another hilarious FAI balls up that we can all laugh about together?

If this really is how the FAI are going to announce the jobs, then it shows just how unsuitable Delaney is to be in charge of Irish football.

He's never too far off the mark normally.

https://twitter.com/McDonnellDan/status/1066428950816137216

You only have to read some of the replies in this thread to see how Delaney has survived as long as he has.

The man who allowed Noel King to preside over mediocre campaign after mediocre campaign at the U-21s is now being praised for his visionary approach towards the side. You couldn't make it up.

Months and years I've read about O'Neill's caveman approach to football, begging for an alternative. And huzzah! We've appointed McCarthy who...erm...was despised at Ipswich for his caveman approach to football.

And it's a CERT, a CERT, I tells ya, that Kenny will do so well in this new role, because after all he did so well last time outside of his comfort zone when he was at Dunfermline, eh? That went so well, right? The legacy that was left there. Hmm? What's that? Oh, there was no legacy and he was sacked after leaving them second from bottom in Division One having been one of the favourites to go up at the start of the season?

Yeah, but never mind that, let's be optimistic because...eh...well... what exactly?

Forget about Delaney for a second, nobody wants him in charge anymore, that doesn't mean we can't show a bit of happiness when something positive is done.

I don't care how we go about qualifying for Euro 2020 once we get there, I wasn't a big viewer of Ipswich but I don't remember McCarthy playing hoofball when he was with Wolves, Sunderland or Ireland the last time. In fact he has probably played the best brand of football any Irish manager in the last 30 years has played.

Stephen Kenny has been unbelievable at Dundalk. He transformed them from a bottom of the table LoI side to the most dominant team in Irish football in 30 years including the best run a team has ever gone on in Europe, all while playing attractive football. There is no guarantee he will be a success in international management like you said, but I certainly think a good way of introducing him to it is managing the u21s where there is no pressure on him.

Who would you have gotten in if you were making the decision?

If like me you think appointing a manager in 2 years time is nuts.

Or if like others you think appointing a manager in 2 years time is brilliant.

Can we all agree that, right now, with stories flying around about whether the stop gap knew he was a stop gap, it's another hilarious FAI balls up that we can all laugh about together?

Sorry can't agree

The story of the stop gap not knowing he was a stop gap are unfounded

So no "hilarious FAI balls up" occurred.

Sorry.

[/b]

Sorry can't agree

The story of the stop gap not knowing he was a stop gap are unfounded

So no "hilarious FAI balls up" occurred.

Sorry.

Well, given that the FAI have brokered a contract so nuanced that it seems to be unique in international football, don't you think an early press conference (to prevent genuine or confused or unfounded stories flying around) was advisable?

I guess you may think it's being handled well and I can laugh at what seems like a balls up.

• Advertisement

Well, given that the FAI have brokered a contract so nuanced that it seems to be unique in international football, don't you think an early press conference (to prevent genuine or confused or unfounded stories flying around) was advisable?

I guess you may think it's being handled well and I can laugh at what seems like a balls up.

There is a press conference tomorrow, these things often get out before hand.

That's what seems to have happened.

On and by the way there is a huge EU summit tomorrow about Brexit.

Expect the rabble to accuse the FAI of burying this announcement in the middle of a heavy news day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

“Another good run”?? He got one win and one draw out of six games??

Ah ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭caddy16

And how are Ipswich doing now?

[/b]

There is a press conference tomorrow, these things often get out before hand.

That's what seems to have happened.

On and by the way there is a huge EU summit tomorrow about Brexit.

Expect the rabble to accuse the FAI of burying this announcement in the middle of a heavy news day.

I would prefer this

dude.png

Forget about Delaney for a second, nobody wants him in charge anymore, that doesn't mean we can't show a bit of happiness when something positive is done.

I don't care how we go about qualifying for Euro 2020 once we get there, I wasn't a big viewer of Ipswich but I don't remember McCarthy playing hoofball when he was with Wolves, Sunderland or Ireland the last time. In fact he has probably played the best brand of football any Irish manager in the last 30 years has played.

Stephen Kenny has been unbelievable at Dundalk. He transformed them from a bottom of the table LoI side to the most dominant team in Irish football in 30 years including the best run a team has ever gone on in Europe, all while playing attractive football. There is no guarantee he will be a success in international management like you said, but I certainly think a good way of introducing him to it is managing the u21s where there is no pressure on him.

Who would you have gotten in if you were making the decision?

Delaney is the problem and cheering these appointments is to allow him play us like a fiddle. This is all distraction politics. How can you say 'show a bit of happiness' when the sport is in the state it's in? I will show happiness when he is out of here for good.

Pointing out what McCarthy did in 02 is irrelevant as this is a completely different side. I watched his Ipswich a few times, remember seeing them in a match against Norwich, it was turgid stuff. Ipswich fans despised his style and attendances went down while he was there. It got very ugly at the end.

Kenny has done well at Dundalk, without a doubt, but you can't erase from history his spell at Dunfermline. That has to be taken into account when judging how he will do in an unfamiliar role.

As for who I'd get in, it's rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic in my view whoever is in charge. If the desire is to go for a pragmatic coach, which is what McCarthy represents, then I'd have gone for Allardyce, since he does that style better than Mick or pretty much anyone. No Premier League club that was struggling would go for Mick if Allardyce were available.

What would make me genuinely happy though would be to hear someone like Niall Quinn was the new head of the FAI. I'd dance a jig of celebration then as I'd know the poison at the heart of the sport is gone and someone who genuinely cares about the game is in charge.

Everything else is the tip of the iceberg and we shouldn't forget that.

caddy16 wrote: »
    And how are Ipswich doing now?

Terrible, though if you listen to their fans many will say they still prefer where they are now to Mick's brand of football.

Personally, I am not as fixated on style as others are. I don't have many expectations for quality given the tools at his disposal.

I do, however, think it's amusing that after years of constant criticism about MON's style, people are now excited about McCarthy, seemingly oblivious to the sort of football he was serving up at his most recent club. It was a similar story when MON took over from Trap. Many expected a big change but there wasn't one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Kenny has done well at Dundalk, without a doubt, but you can't erase from history his spell at Dunfermline. That has to be taken into account when judging how he will do in an unfamiliar role.

Jaysus, The Dunfermline job was 12 years ago, he was still only 35 at the time. He got them to two cup finals, fair enough they were relegated but they had one of the smallest budgets in the league when he came in, its not like he relegated Celtic!

Jaysus, The Dunfermline job was 12 years ago, he was still only 35 at the time. He got them to two cup finals, fair enough they were relegated but they had one of the smallest budgets in the league when he came in, its not like he relegated Celtic!

There's people talking about McCarthy's last Ireland reign which was even longer ago!

Can anyone on here name one coach who made a decent stab of it at Dunfermline?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭campo

lawred2 wrote: »
    Can anyone on here name one coach who made a decent stab of it at Dunfermline?

Jock Stein

campo wrote: »
    Jock Stein

Well we are certainly back to the archives there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

This is absolutely ****ing ludicrous. I'm seriously annoyed.

Can they not learn from other people's mistakes even? Including those of the great Alex Ferguson, who, when it was announced in the early 00's that he would be retiring, the team downed tools. Mick McCarthy is being put in this situation on Day 1. Are the senior players going to be more effected by what Kenny says in interviews than what McCarthy says in interviews or in training? If Declan Rice or others want to speak to someone in Irish management about the decision of which country to play for, who do they speak to, McCarthy, Kenny or both?

What if our involvement in the Euro 2020 finals is obviously out of reach as early as next Summer? Does McCarthy still continue in the job for the next 12 months?

This is an absolute ****ing joke!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    This is absolutely ****ing ludicrous. I'm seriously annoyed.

Can they not learn from other people's mistakes even? Including those of the great Alex Ferguson, who, when it was announced in the early 00's that he would be retiring, the team downed tools. Mick McCarthy is being put in this situation on Day 1. Are the senior players going to be more effected by what Kenny says in interviews than what McCarthy says in interviews or in training? If Declan Rice or others want to speak to someone in Irish management about the decision of which country to play for, who do they speak to, McCarthy, Kenny or both?

What if our involvement in the Euro 2020 finals is obviously out of reach as early as next Summer? Does McCarthy still continue in the job for the next 12 months?

This is an absolute ****ing joke!

Who gives a **** about Rice? He's gone and good riddance.

Rice or others!

Read the damn post!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Rice or others!

Read the damn post!

If they're 'deciding' then let them on.

Anyway, for the next two years McCarthy is the manager. You're exaggerating it all for effect but that looks to be the case (if all is confirmed tomorrow as it looks now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

This delayed coronation plan didn't work when Conan was meant to replace Jay Leno and it didn't work when Tony Blair promised Gordon Brown he would stand aside for him.

Pick one manager and tell him the job is his for as long as he is doing it well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

He sure is. I`m amazed by the amount of people who think we`re even still in the equation for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭caddy16

Terrible, though if you listen to their fans many will say they still prefer where they are now to Mick's brand of football.

Personally, I am not as fixated on style as others are. I don't have many expectations for quality given the tools at his disposal.

I do, however, think it's amusing that after years of constant criticism about MON's style, people are now excited about McCarthy, seemingly oblivious to the sort of football he was serving up at his most recent club. It was a similar story when MON took over from Trap. Many expected a big change but there wasn't one.
    Yes but are you basing your view " on what Ipswich fans" say or have you actually watched them play?
    I can't say I'm overly excited about McCarthys appointment but I do think we have a better chance of putting together some sort of decent campaign with him at the helm rather than O' Neill.

He sure is. I`m amazed by the amount of people who think we`re even still in the equation for him.

You're taking the thread off on a tangent - but there has to be some reason he hasn't declared fro England yet!

Delaney is the problem and cheering these appointments is to allow him play us like a fiddle. This is all distraction politics. How can you say 'show a bit of happiness' when the sport is in the state it's in? I will show happiness when he is out of here for good.

Pointing out what McCarthy did in 02 is irrelevant as this is a completely different side. I watched his Ipswich a few times, remember seeing them in a match against Norwich, it was turgid stuff. Ipswich fans despised his style and attendances went down while he was there. It got very ugly at the end.

As for who I'd get in, it's rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic in my view whoever is in charge. If the desire is to go for a pragmatic coach, which is what McCarthy represents, then I'd have gone for Allardyce, since he does that style better than Mick or pretty much anyone. No Premier League club that was struggling would go for Mick if Allardyce were available.

What would make me genuinely happy though would be to hear someone like Niall Quinn was the new head of the FAI. I'd dance a jig of celebration then as I'd know the poison at the heart of the sport is gone and someone who genuinely cares about the game is in charge.

Everything else is the tip of the iceberg and we shouldn't forget that.

I agree with you 100% on Delaney and I'm not disputing that is the real change that needs to happen. But that has been the case for years, if we didn't find joy out of anything in Irish football because of him we might as well pack it up and start following a different sport. This appointment doesn't change the way I (or others) view Delaney but it doesn't mean we have to think every single thing that the FAI or international team do is a load of crap.

You are probably right about McCarthy, he will more than likely adopt some kind of similar style to O'Neill but I don't think it will be as depressing, it can't be. Like you though, I don't care too much about the aesthetics once we are being competitive and getting the results.

I would love to see Quinn replace Delaney as well, I think he would be an excellent candidate and have a feeling he would go for it if the opportunity ever came up.

The last 12 months have been terrible, I have not left the Aviva feeling in any way positive or upbeat in the last 2 years and that is a sad thing to say. With the new appointment I am much more optimistic about the future and looking forward to 2019 at least, we will see who is right in 12 months I guess but I think the international team is in relatively good hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Delaney seems to be trying everything to get any flack off himself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement