Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Neill Gone - Next Rep Ireland Manager?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

MD1990 wrote: »
    Delaney seems to be trying everything to get any flack off himself.

Ya he is hiding behind two managers now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Laois_Man wrote: »
    You're taking the thread off on a tangent - but there has to be some reason he hasn't declared fro England yet!

There`s simply no rush on him declaring. He puts his head down for this season and focuses on his club football. For different reasons he wont be picking up Ireland or England caps this season so no need to worry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

How is that a great problem?
    You have a manager that's doing well, but you get rid of him anyway?

Why not just appoint Mick as manager for 2 years and see how it goes?
    And appoint Kenny as U21 manager and see how it goes?

Why ties yourself into a situation in two years when you have no idea how it's gonna go?

It would be a great problem because we would have potentially have had two great years under McCarthy. I'd rather take those and then the headache of what happens afterwards then where we were earlier in the week when it looked like we were going to just have O' Neill and staring into the footballing abyss for the indefinite future.

If McCarthy delivers over the next two years, I'd rather take that potential succession headache then the living death that O' Neill represented..

And also, nothing is ever definite when it comes to predicting the future in football. A year is a long time and who knows what arrangements and re-arrangements may come to pass down the line. As of earlier this week MON had a multi-year contract- now he's gone. Results always trump whats put down on paper in football. If the team goes from strength to strength under MM, I'd personally be very surprised if he's forced out, despite whatever is being said right this minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

There`s simply no rush on him declaring. He puts his head down for this season and focuses on his club football. For different reasons he wont be picking up Ireland or England caps this season so no need to worry about it.

In 3 of their 4 Nations League games, England started Eric Dier in defensive midfield - Rice is already twice the player Dier is. In the first one, they started Jordan Henderson who isn't even really a defensive midfielder, but they're stuck in that particular position - so yes he would be getting England caps!

You do know England are 2 games away from winning the Nations League right? Do you think he's not interested in his possible first senior medal of his career?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Can FAI give the job to Chris Houghton now for 2022 while they are it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

In 3 of their 4 Nations League games, England started Eric Dier in defensive midfield - Rice is already twice the player Dier is. In the first one, they started Jordan Henderson who isn't even really a defensive midfielder, but they're stuck in that particular position - so yes he would be getting England caps!

You do know England are 2 games away from winning the Nations League right? Do you think he's not interested in his possible first senior medal of his career?

Twice the player Dier is quite debatable. He played in those games in the tournament that they are 2 games away from winning after all. I'm sure Rice will get caps but Dier is ahead of him on almost every count at the moment, especially playing consistently with a bigger club in Europe too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

This is, quite possibly, the worst effort at continuity planning there has ever been at the FAI. And that's saying something.

It's putting a gun to Kenny's head and saying 'you better exceed expectations at underage level by 2020 or else' before he even has his feet under the desk.

The point of creating continuity is.......exactly that. Continuity. Not drawing arbitrary lines in the sand like this. A year and a half isn't long enough to instill even a translative style of play or 'philosophy' in the U15-19 teams let alone a successful one, no matter what work Ruud Dokter has already done.

And presumably the thinking is on a much grander scale than that of graduating this presumptive successful style and side all the way up to senior level when the bell tolls in the Autumn of 2020.

Pie in the sky stuff and obvious PR efforts of Delaney to play to the crowd. Joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    This is, quite possibly, the worst effort at continuity planning there has ever been at the FAI. And that's saying something.

It's putting a gun to Kenny's head and saying 'you better exceed expectations at underage level by 2020 or else' before he even has his feet under the desk.

It is literally the complete opposite!

There is no veiled threat or ultimatum, just a very appealing contractual promise that he has a BIGGER and better paid job on the way, so just take it handy for a year and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

FAI thinking out of the box for once which can be commended somewhat but this really doesn’t make any sense... Is the thinking that right now Kenny doesn’t have the experience but a couple of years are u21 manager and he’ll be grand?! If McCarthy does well over the next 2 years he should be able to stay on, if he does bad he should not have been given the job in the first place. The FAI are obviously assuming he’ll do “ok”. That sort of thinking really inspires me as a fan...

Giving Kenny a director of football type role instead would have made a whole lot more sense, give McCarthy 2 years to transition the team to playing a style that Kenny (or someone) mandates while Kenny himself puts a system in place in youth to make sure the future players can fit into it.

• Advertisement

The point of creating continuity is.......exactly that. Continuity. Not drawing arbitrary lines in the sand like this. A year and a half isn't long enough to instill even a translative style of play or 'philosophy' in the U15-19 teams let alone a successful one, no matter what work Ruud Dokter has already done.

And presumably the thinking is on a much grander scale than that of graduating this presumptive successful style and side all the way up to senior level when the bell tolls in the Autumn of 2020.

Pie in the sky stuff and obvious PR efforts of Delaney to play to the crowd. Joke.

I don't really understand why people think this is all such a bad idea.

Look at the other scenarios

Appoint MM to coach indefinitely and no Stephen Kenny anywhere in the set-up - Okay, but then there's nobody looking at any aspect of the team outside of the senior set-up, at least this way more than just the senior team will be involved in changes to structures going forward, hopefully at least

Appoint SK and leave him to manage the senior team - Okay, then what's going to be done about the underage structures and set-up, who is going to be looking at those? Previously there was a total disconnect between those and the role of senior manager. Presumably that would have continued.

At least this approach should deliver a proven international manager who can come in an stabilise the team and hopefully deliver results, while giving his potential successor time to familiarise himself with the structure and surrounds of the international game - rather than just dropping him into a major step in his career overnight. I sincerely think this approach could work to be the best of both worlds.

What if Kenny bombs and McCarthy succeeds - Well then I'd amazed if SK gets to manage the senior team. And if McCarthy bombs? Well then, thankfully, there's a succession plan in place.

Noel King has set the bar pretty low at that level so as long as he stays true to his philosophy at Dundalk of encouraging the players to play football he`ll be OK, regardless of results.
    Anyway, his brief seems to be much wider than just U21 manager. It sounds like he`ll have an almost head of youth development role.

Who knows but McCarthy was only willing to commit to 2 years. He`ll be 61 at the end of Euro 2020 and he`ll have been involved in professional football for 43 years almost non stop. Maybe 2 years and one final pay day suits him down to the ground.

Arghus wrote: »

What if Kenny bombs and McCarthy succeeds - Well then I'd amazed if SK gets to manage the senior team. And if McCarthy bombs? Well then, thankfully, there's a succession plan in place.

But then they will owe Kenny compensation? Basically, in that scenario, giving compensation to someone who is not even employed in a role because they aren't the best candidate for the role!

The contract reads that Kenny has the managerial role in 18 months time regardless.
    There doesn't seem to be any informal "play your cards right"nature to it. It seems to be set in stone. (so to speak)

But then they will owe Kenny compensation? Basically, in that scenario, giving compensation to someone who is not even employed in a role because they aren't the best candidate for the role!

The contract reads that Kenny has the managerial role in 18 months time regardless.
    There doesn't seem to be any informal "play your cards right"nature to it. It seems to be set in stone. (so to speak)

We have no idea what the contract says or what clauses it may contain. We're all speculating based on media reports.

Our qualification campaign could VERY easily be over this time next year. Tbh with you I would give it to Kenny now if Mick only wants it for a handy number for potentially a year. I don't think Kenny is going to learn much in a year or so that he doesn't know already by overseeing teenagers and I doubt he will even be that committed to the role either, merely counting down the clock to his inevitable promotion.

There is no great standard to be met in Irish underage soccer that can test someone like Kenny. Has he ever really done much youth football before? It is not going to be some great nurturing environment that will make him more capable for the job in a year or so than he is right now.

Either they think he is good enough to manage Ireland or not. And if they do, give him the role now if Mick isn't that interested in it other than a pay packet and an ego boost and let him learn his trade the hard way or, if you have doubts about his readiness for the job, don't formally make contractual promises.

Look at the other scenarios

Appoint MM to coach indefinitely and no Stephen Kenny anywhere in the set-up - Okay, but then there's nobody looking at any aspect of the team outside of the senior set-up, at least this way more than just the senior team will be involved in changes to structures going forward, hopefully at least

Appoint SK and leave him to manage the senior team - Okay, then what's going to be done about the underage structures and set-up, who is going to be looking at those? Previously there was a total disconnect between those and the role of senior manager. Presumably that would have continued.

At least this approach should deliver a proven international manager who can come in an stabilise the team and hopefully deliver results, while giving his potential successor time to familiarise himself with the structure and surrounds of the international game - rather than just dropping him into a major step in his career overnight. I sincerely think this approach could work to be the best of both worlds.

I don't think anybody has suggested that we give MMcC the senior job and have no U-21 manager! :confused:

• Advertisement

I don't think anybody has suggested that we give MMcC the senior job and have no U-21 manager! :confused:

Okay, fair enough, I put that the wrong way.

Of course there would be an under 21's manager, but at least now, under what they seem to be proposing, there will be a change in management there that will eventually link up with the senior side. I view that as an improvement in continuity and making a proper effort in building a link between the underage and senior team, whereas beforehand the u21's and the seniors were largely disconnected from each other. How much of a care did previous managers give for the u21's?

Okay, fair enough, I put that the wrong way.

Of course there would be an under 21's manager, but at least now, under what they seem to be proposing, there will be a change in management there that will eventually link up with the senior side. I view that as an improvement in continuity and making a proper effort in building a link between the underage and senior team, whereas beforehand the u21's and the seniors were largely disconnected from each other. How much of a care did previous managers give for the u21's?

But I think people's main 2 problems are
    1) They've (apparently) guaranteed Stephen Kenny the job
    2) They've set a date for the handover - and it's only 20 months (at most) away

I don't think anybody thinks it's a terrible idea to have the continuity. Just they've made a pigs ear of it by the way they've done it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Laois_Man wrote:
    I don't think anybody thinks it's a terrible idea to have the continuity. Just they've made a pigs ear of it by the way they've done it.

Have they though?

We all know that big change is needed. Its not just the senior side but all levels. Right now we have a plan in place to get a future manager to start the underage sides playing the way he wants them to. While at it he gets to see the players for himself and make some notes on which ones he feels can step up. When he does take the senior role he will bring some fresh faces that already know how he plays and have worked with him.

The alternative was to make kenny the senior manager and continue to fire fight with anyone we can convince to play for us.

It says it all that the people that say we are crap anyway and will never do anything anyway no matter who is in charge, are the ones moaning about actually trying to fix the national side.

It may work or it may not. But at least we are trying...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Mr.H wrote: »
    Have they though?

We all know that big change is needed. Its not just the senior side but all levels. Right now we have a plan in place to get a future manager to start the underage sides playing the way he wants them to. While at it he gets to see the players for himself and make some notes on which ones he feels can step up. When he does take the senior role he will bring some fresh faces that already know how he plays and have worked with him.

The alternative was to make kenny the senior manager and continue to fire fight with anyone we can convince to play for us.

It says it all that the people that say we are crap anyway and will never do anything anyway no matter who is in charge, are the ones moaning about actually trying to fix the national side.

It may work or it may not. But at least we are trying...........

Why not give Mick the senior job, SK the u21 job. Then stop talking... see how it plays out and if Mick isnt working / decides to move on, SK is in pole positon.

Theyve not put themselves in a situation where if Ireland qualify for the Euros, the build up to the tournament will be all about whether Mick will or wont step aside. Its so stupid it could only be associated with the FAI

Why not give Mick the senior job, SK the u21 job. Then stop talking... see how it plays out and if Mick isnt working / decides to move on, SK is in pole positon.

You mean give a man some experience and, if he's up to it, give him the job when it's appropriate, as.opposed to some preordained fate no matter how he performs?

That is so very very very obviously the best approach that there is just no way the FAI would ever do it. Just be glad they didn't appoint a manager for 2025 and 2030 too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭championc

So do the majority of U-21's end up on the Senior squad ?

If this whole thing is a mentoring exercise for Kenny which I imagine they will spin it as, why not give him an assistant role instead?
    I'd like to think our Under 21 /youth coach will focus on his own job rather than looking over the fence at the senior set up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

championc wrote: »

I would say yes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

If this whole thing is a mentoring exercise for Kenny which I imagine they will spin it as, why not give him an assistant role instead?
    I'd like to think our Under 21 /youth coach will focus on his own job rather than looking over the fence at the senior set up?

The last mentoring set up we had was Staunton and Bobby, look how poor that was.

Kenny is either good enough or not good enough. If they didn’t think he was good enough now then don’t see how 18 months with the 21s will change that.

Imagine if Chris Hughton was available in 18 months time....

The whole thing is a joke shop and if it goes wrong the heat will explode I think on the FAI

Soups123 wrote: »
    The last mentoring set up we had was Staunton and Bobby, look how poor that was.

Kenny is either good enough or not good enough. If they didn’t think he was good enough now then don’t see how 18 months with the 21s will change that.

Imagine if Chris Hughton was available in 18 months time....

The whole thing is a joke shop and if it goes wrong the heat will explode I think on the FAI

Chris Hughton has already signed a contract to taking over in 2025 as Kenny has signed a contract with the Arabs and will be taking over from Pep at Man City then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭briany

Our qualification campaign could VERY easily be over this time next year. Tbh with you I would give it to Kenny now if Mick only wants it for a handy number for potentially a year. I don't think Kenny is going to learn much in a year or so that he doesn't know already by overseeing teenagers and I doubt he will even be that committed to the role either, merely counting down the clock to his inevitable promotion.

There is no great standard to be met in Irish underage soccer that can test someone like Kenny. Has he ever really done much youth football before? It is not going to be some great nurturing environment that will make him more capable for the job in a year or so than he is right now.

Either they think he is good enough to manage Ireland or not. And if they do, give him the role now if Mick isn't that interested in it other than a pay packet and an ego boost and let him learn his trade the hard way or, if you have doubts about his readiness for the job, don't formally make contractual promises.

They thought Steve Staunton could manage Ireland, but it turned out that he could not, and he brought Ireland to a low ebb not even matched by the current run of form. Prior to that, they thought Kerr could manage Ireland, but his experience at LoI and youth levels didn't translate into success with the senior team.

I think the truth is that the FAI have been burned on these types of gambles before and are therefore reluctant to take another one. They don't know if Kenny is good enough for the job, but they also know there's a strong push to get him involved in some way, and are therefore doing this in order to appease the grassroots who might otherwise turn on Delaney & co. decisively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Is this not the worst under 21 team in our history although the under 19s could be one of the best in our history assuming we will see a lot of them moving up quickly

championc wrote: »

No definitely not the majority of U-21's. Because of the age restrictions the make up of the squads change very regularly. We're lucky if 2 or 3 from every cycle end up being capped at senior level. Even then they tend to be capped in their mid to late 20s after they've gone the long way round through the lower leagues/League of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

What's the story with Kenny?
    He's gonna be U21 manager with some sorta call on the other underage squads .

Where does that leave Rudd Dokter,Tom Mohan etc ?

Dokter is starting to show some results now ,is he thrown on the scrap heap?

yabadabado wrote: »
    What's the story with Kenny?
    He's gonna be U21 manager with some sorta call on the other underage squads .

Where does that leave Rudd Dokter,Tom Mohan etc ?

Dokter is starting to show some results now ,is he thrown on the scrap heap?

Rudd Dokter is high performance director and never had a coaching role. His role is to change the structures.

Tom Mohan is U19 Manager.

I don't see how Kenny becoming U21 manager, even with a remit over the rest of the underage teams, would effect either Dokter or Mohans roles.

• Advertisement

Mr.H wrote: »

I wish you wouldn't quote my post when you say this as if it is remotely related to anything I have ever said! If you don't know what I have been saying, it doesn't take a whole lot of effort to click a couple of links to find out!

briany wrote: »
    They thought Steve Staunton could manage Ireland, but it turned out that he could not, and he brought Ireland to a low ebb

Actually, the last 12 months have been worse than what we experienced under Staunton!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

The last 12 months have been dull to watch and results have been awful but time seems to have given Stan’s era a rosier complexion. We were a minute from drawing with San Marino and conceded 5 goals to Cyprus. Nothing in the last 12 months is that bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭championc

No definitely not the majority of U-21's. Because of the age restrictions the make up of the squads change very regularly. We're lucky if 2 or 3 from every cycle end up being capped at senior level. Even then they tend to be capped in their mid to late 20s after they've gone the long way round through the lower leagues/League of Ireland.

Exactly what I thought - So giving Kenny the U-21s doesn't really ultimately prepare him for the senior job. Sounds like the whole thing is a fans appeasement exercise.

Seems Mick isn't on board with this but the pay packet sucked him in.

I think this is really going to overshadow the next year and a half. Terrible PR exercise to keep the LOI advocates on board.

Mick McCarthy: "I probably won't want to give it up (if I'm successful) but I've got no option. But that's two years down the line. A lot can happen. What happens if Stephen Kenny rips it up with 21s & a club from England comes in? But I've accepted (the situation)."

Actually, the last 12 months have been worse than what we experienced under Staunton!

I would say that losing 5-2 to Cyprus and almost drawing with San Marino were worse results than anything experienced under O'Neill. So bad that we had poor old Bobby Robson on Liveline the next day trying to defend the team. Losing 5-1 to Denmark was tragic, but they're also a side with some world-class players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Seems Mick isn't on board with this but the pay packet sucked him in.

I think this is really going to overshadow the next year and a half. Terrible PR exercise to keep the LOI advocates on board.

Mick McCarthy: "I probably won't want to give it up (if I'm successful) but I've got no option. But that's two years down the line. A lot can happen. What happens if Stephen Kenny rips it up with 21s & a club from England comes in? But I've accepted (the situation)."

I don't think its to keep any 'LOI advocates on board at all, I think you overestimate the F.A.I's actual care for it. It's not a big deal to them at all to involve. They could just appoint Mick, say nothing about Kenny and not much would have happened at all. It's just a card trick to be seen as 'forward thinking' when in reality it's just two short terms back to back.

It's a bizarre situation but McCarthy now that he's there deserves to be supported from the start the same way O'Neill was, before what happened happened.

Corholio wrote: »
    I don't think its to keep any 'LOI advocates on board at all, I think you overestimate the F.A.I's actual care for it. It's not a big deal to them at all to involve. They could just appoint Mick, say nothing about Kenny and not much would have happened at all. It's just a card trick to be seen as 'forward thinking' when in reality it's just two short terms back to back.

Well that is a round a bout way to say what I am saying. If they trust Kenny has the attributes to manage, employ him now. And if they still have doubts, give him the U21 post with a behind the scenes agreement that if he impresses on them and Mick's appointment doesn't work out, they will consider him. Basically they are taking this lock him in policy to a bizarre new level.

I would prefer to start building something right now when we are at our lowest, rather than desperately trying to qualify for a tournament I don't think we will qualify for and forfeiting two years with a manager who is not fighting for his job or personally building for the future.

You cannot promise someone a job in two years time and at the same time tell someone they are out on their ear, no matter what. It is basic staff recruitment logic not to do this.

What sort of motivation does Mick really have to do well? There is little to no pressure on him? he is not fighting for his jo and he is being paid handsomely, regardless. He probably knows he hasn't much to work with and is going to be fighting against the odds to qualify, considering the teams we may face in our group. I am not questioning his interest in Irish football but, psychologically, it is hard to really apply yourself to anything in life, knowing it is temporary.

Personally, Mick qualifying for the Euros and performing even reasonably would be a success to me. Not likely, but if it did materialise in any other managerial role and the manager is eager to stay on, it would be clear logic to keep him on. That is off the table now.

The FAI have not thought this through. You could see that by the way JD was stuttering over these issues and deflecting same scenarios.

It is f*cking baffling

Last week, MON was here for another year, now he isn't any more. No idea why lads are so bogged down in this, if something occurs within the next 2 years that for whatever reason, Kenny is no longer the appropriate man to take over, then he won't be taking over.

Last week, MON was here for another year, now he isn't any more. No idea why lads are so bogged down in this, if something occurs within the next 2 years that for whatever reason, Kenny is no longer the appropriate man to take over, then he won't be taking over.

Yes, but then the FAI will owe him a lot of money. Money that could be spent on a lot more . Basically a compensation package for not giving a candidate a job because he isn't the correct candidate for the job?

It will lead to a huge fall out.

• Advertisement

Yes, but then the FAI will owe him a lot of money. Money that could be spent on a lot more . Basically a compensation package for not giving a candidate a job because he isn't the correct candidate for the job?

It will lead to a huge fall out.

This is the FAI. The same FAI that appointed Stan, Passed on the opportunity to have the Aviva debt paid off and instead disastrously went it alone with Vantage club ticket sales...etc....etc.

Paying off Kenny/offering him a job for life in the FAI in 2020 like Noel King has wouldn't even be in the top 10 of wasteful things they`ve done.
    The fact they squandered millions paying MonRoy wages and severance when they could have just not renewed their contracts after the Denmark playoff has been all but lost in the media.

Imagine a scenarios in 2 years time where sake say someone of the profile of Chris Hughton or Brendan Rodgers becomes available or Mick achieves serious success.
    Public opinion will rule what the FAI does, and I don't believe they will think twice about shafting Kenny and cutting him a cheque to piss off if that's what the public wants.

Delaney says No compensation for Dundalk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The more I see and hear about this the more I like the idea. At least it's a plan to do something with players coming through, while it's not enough it's still more than was happening.

Whatever the intentions of the FAI there's as much chance of this working out as not. Unless we do really well in the Euros... :D:D:D

What sort of motivation does Mick really have to do well? There is little to no pressure on him? he is not fighting for his jo and he is being paid handsomely, regardless. He probably knows he hasn't much to work with and is going to be fighting against the odds to qualify, considering the teams we may face in our group. I am not questioning his interest in Irish football but, psychologically, it is hard to really apply yourself to anything in life, knowing it is temporary.

The work may be temporary, but bad results can follow you around, too. Half-arsing it and gaining the corresponding results might take a little lustre off his CV for future jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭howiya

Is the full press conference available anywhere?

Found it

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/mick-mccarthy-press-conference-30006554/10968326/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Well that is a round a bout way to say what I am saying. If they trust Kenny has the attributes to manage, employ him now. And if they still have doubts, give him the U21 post with a behind the scenes agreement that if he impresses on them and Mick's appointment doesn't work out, they will consider him. Basically they are taking this lock him in policy to a bizarre new level.

I would prefer to start building something right now when we are at our lowest, rather than desperately trying to qualify for a tournament I don't think we will qualify for and forfeiting two years with a manager who is not fighting for his job or personally building for the future.

You cannot promise someone a job in two years time and at the same time tell someone they are out on their ear, no matter what. It is basic staff recruitment logic not to do this.

Personally, Mick qualifying for the Euros and performing even reasonably would be a success to me. Not likely, but if it did materialise in any other managerial role and the manager is eager to stay on, it would be clear logic to keep him on. That is off the table now.

The FAI have not thought this through. You could see that by the way JD was stuttering over these issues and deflecting same scenarios.

It is f*cking baffling

Well put. You could add that Mick will also be demotivated by the fact that he can't even pretend he is not working for fukkwits. He can't even make the usual platitudes about 'transition' and 'building for the future' when there is no future. Other pro's will be laughing at him taking the pension, he will just shrug his shoulders and say it's like taking candy from a baby.

• Advertisement

There really is no pleasing some people. Our last 3 managers were in the job way too long. Stan (never should have gotten the job) Trapp (Should have been gone after the Euros), O'Neil (should have been gone after the Denmark play off).

We now have a situation where an experienced manager is focused for a qualifying campaign and knows his time is finite. If that doesn't motivate him then that's a damming indictment of him as a professional manager.

As Mick said himself yesterday the average Championship manager reign is 11 months. The likes of Paul Lambert who only got the Ipswich job a month ago knows he'll do extremely well to see the summer in the job.

I have a lot of issues with the FAI and I'd seriously question their motivation behind this arrangement but it's something different and we really have to start trying something different at all levels of the sport or soccer will completely die in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

There really is no pleasing some people. Our last 3 managers were in the job way too long. Stan (never should have gotten the job) Trapp (Should have been gone after the Euros), O'Neil (should have been gone after the Denmark play off).

We now have a situation where an experienced manager is focused for a qualifying campaign and knows his time is finite. If that doesn't motivate him then that's a damming indictment of him as a professional manager.

As Mick said himself yesterday the average Championship manager reign is 11 months. The likes of Paul Lambert who only got the Ipswich job a month ago knows he'll do extremely well to see the summer in the job.

I have a lot of issues with the FAI and I'd seriously question their motivation behind this arrangement but it's something different and we really have to start trying something different at all levels of the sport or soccer will completely die in this country.

Why would that specific aspect of his contract be an automatic motivating factor?

I wonder would it be a good idea to maybe appoint someone like Keith Long for 2025? This appointing years ahead of time regardless of performance could catch on, they could start identifying kids who can really read the game at 12 or 13...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Meanwhile in rugby the Ireland manager has announced he will leave after the RWC in 10 or 11 months time.

And his replacement has already been announced

However I doubt there will be many #browneout posts in a situation where the head coach is on a definite timeline with the replacement already announced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Meanwhile in rugby the Ireland manager has announced he will leave after the RWC in 10 or 11 months time.

And his replacement has already been announced

However I doubt there will be many #browneout posts in a situation where the head coach is on a definite timeline with the replacement already announced

?

well this is a failed comparison

quite clearly

Schmidt is leaving of his own accord and the IRFU are promoting from within.

It couldn't be further from what the FAI are doing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement