Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Neill Gone - Next Rep Ireland Manager?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Allardyce is/was quite a progressive manager. One of the first ever in U.K. to use things like Opta Stats etc, psychologists with his players to get extra out of them.

Yep. His reputation as some sort of hoofballing dinosaur is extremely unfair IMO.

I know the bar is fairly low (:pac:), but he played some of the best stuff I've seen in a long time at Sunderland and had an ability to switch things up quite successfully to a more pragmatic style when needed/necessary.

Compared to O'Neill, his football is Guardiola-esque!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Noel King will be put in for the time being.

Kenny or Kerr would be the best choice for where we are at at the moment in terms of developing a new squad. Neither will be offered the role due to the FAI's outlook on how the national senior squad should be developed.

Mick McCarthy may be considered but i don't think the FAI will go down that road again, unless all other options fail to materializes and Mick accepts a lowball offer.

After that it is really just down to a question of timing and what out of favor PL/Champioship manager is available. It doesn't really matter who gets it in this case.

MoN and Keane were a sympton of the malaise not the cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Paul Cook would be the perfect appointment if he could be got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

What's Chris Coleman at these days? Doesn't he have some Irish background and all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Patww79 wrote: »
    What's Chris Coleman at these days? Doesn't he have some Irish background and all?
    Out in China so assume he's making the big bucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Same old names listed (bar S Kenny).

Surely there must be some young foreign coach who would be worth a punt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Managing a Chinese team after being sacked at Sunderland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

osarusan wrote: »
    Managing a Chinese team after being sacked at Sunderland.

Had forgotten all about his Sunderland stint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Noel King will be put in for the time being.

Kenny or Kerr would be the best choice for where we are at at the moment in terms of developing a new squad. Neither will be offered the role due to the FAI's outlook on how the national senior squad should be developed.

Mick McCarthy may be considered but i don't think the FAI will go down that road again, unless all other options fail to materializes and Mick accepts a lowball offer.

After that it is really just down to a question of timing and what out of favor PL/Champioship manager is available. It doesn't really matter who gets it in this case.

MoN and Keane were a sympton of the malaise not the cause.

We dont have a game till next march i think so king wont be called on this time...plus he'll be off doing his new found role at the FAI.

Mon and Keane were pretty much the cause of the malaise on the pitch. Awful tactics. No gameplan. Playing 7 defenders in a dead rubber game. Antagonising and isolating squad members. Declan Rice saga. Breaking goalscoring records. Hanging on v NI and having 39% possession at home. No sign of the team being coached in anything ...other than set pieces. Playing christie in midfield and telling him half an hour before a game...when he himself said he they hadn't gone through it on the training ground. the animosity towards TOD asking fairly normal questions.
    They had a great chance to build on something after Italy in 2016 but it never materialised, for whatever reason. They regressed drastically this year. At least they walked and their pigheadedness didn't get in the way of us falling even further away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭adaminho

There was an interesting article in the S*n this morning saying Lopetegui approached the U.S. about becoming their manager but was turned down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

NIMAN wrote: »
    Same old names listed (bar S Kenny).

Surely there must be some young foreign coach who would be worth a punt?

Yes, Jokanovic !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Mc Carthy has achieved damn all in club management and was only modestly successful at international level working with players of far greater ability than those available to either Trappatoni or O'Neill. He lacks imagination and tactical savvy.
    I think David O' Leary would be a good choice. At least he has managed at the highest level, has stature,would command respect from the players and is Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Will be surprised if it's not Mick or Sam.
    AGC wrote: »
    McCarthy even money fav kenny second 6/1

The options are bleak but certainly right move for them to be gone. Delaney really has to look at his own position but he won’t

What odds on Delaney moving on?
    Like to see Kenny but it'll be McCarthy.

What does Kenny bring to the table? He's done well in the domestic game but struggled in Scotland.
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    Wait until they fly 'Arry Redknapp out of the I'm a celeb jungle.

Hire a new manager before he gets out of there.
    Chris Hughton is probably the Irishman currently managing at the highest level and has done an excellent job at Brighton.

No chance he's going to leave Brighton at the moment. I would have loved to see him taking over at Ibrox. A few other Rangers lads I know wanted him also. Top class manager, on and off the pitch, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Had forgotten all about his Sunderland stint.

I really wouldn't judge him at all based on that. No manager had a chance there last season.

Some of the stuff that has come out about financials and what was going on behind the scenes is actually mind-blowing and downright scary.

I have no idea why he took that job. It seemed a crazy decision on his part given his stock at the time and one he will probably regret for the rest of his days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Paully D wrote: »
    It all depends on the money that is on offer, but for what I reckon will realistically be on offer, Allardyce please.

There's no one better placed to create a plan that works and to squeeze every little bit out of this group of players. For those that want good football, he's not the hoofball dinosaur he's made out to be either and I'd encourage anyone thinking that way to dig a little deeper.

That said, international management has proven time and time again to be an attractive proposition for managers if the money is right so if something drastic happens and the FAI decide to loosen the purse strings then it's a different conversation.

Stephen Kenny and Michael O'Neill would be joke appointments

Would you care to elaborate on that?

• Advertisement

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    We dont have a game till next march i think so king wont be called on this time...plus he'll be off doing his new found role at the FAI.

Mon and Keane were pretty much the cause of the malaise on the pitch. Awful tactics. No gameplan. Playing 7 defenders in a dead rubber game. Antagonising and isolating squad members. Declan Rice saga. Breaking goalscoring records. Hanging on v NI and having 39% possession at home. No sign of the team being coached in anything ...other than set pieces. Playing christie in midfield and telling him half an hour before a game...when he himself said he they hadn't gone through it on the training ground. the animosity towards TOD asking fairly normal questions.
    They had a great chance to build on something after Italy in 2016 but it never materialised, for whatever reason. They regressed drastically this year. At least they walked and their pigheadedness didn't get in the way of us falling even further away.

That just about sums them 2 numpties up.

I know we are struggling for players, but we are shocking to watch and you could get a LoI Select team that would play better football and probably give them a game.

In fact, Dundalk play better football than Ireland. I'm not advocating SKenny for the job by the way.

But at least get someone in who might have a different approach to the game, how to play it. Don't automatically start listing out old failed EPL and Championship managers again. Same old names. I mean, Steve Bruce!!! Why in God's name would we appoint Steve Bruce? What is he going to bring to the job?

I want to see us try to pass the ball to each other, build up play, create chances other than from corners and free-kicks. Managers who play that game are living in the past. I really hope we appoint a progressive, exiting manager who isn't afraid to try new things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

chicorytip wrote: »
    Mc Carthy has achieved damn all in club management and was only modestly successful at international level working with players of far greater ability than those available to either Trappatoni or O'Neill. He lacks imagination and tactical savvy.
    I think David O' Leary would be a good choice. At least he has managed at the highest level, has stature,would command respect from the players and is Irish.

Are you taking the p*** with O'Leary? He hasn't had a serious managerial job in over 12 years.

I think Allardyces name will be in the running and he could be a good appointment on a short term basis, but I don't want him. I think Irish fans would be skeptical of him taking over due to his reputation and style of play, we need someone who we can be optimistic about, I would fear with Allardyce if it went tit up things would be worse than ever.

Paully D wrote:
    Compared to O'Neill, his football is Guardiola-esque!

He was sacked by England. There has always been a whiff of sulphur surrounding him regarding illegal payments, brown paper bags etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Allardyce is the hoofball dinosaur he's made out to be, anybody who watched Everton last year under him surely saw that. The results weren't bad but the fans hated him for the brand of football. If we're not taking a risk with someone like Kenny I'd prefer him over Mick/Bruce/someone similar as I'm sure he'd get us results but don't expect entertainment

He was sacked by England. There has always been a whiff of sulphur surrounding him regarding illegal payments, brown paper bags etc.

And sacked by Everton because the fans were sick of seeing their team play sh!te football. Sounds familiar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭_Puma_

"Kerrs Kids" documentary on this Friday on eir. Good timing to reflect on where we are and where we want to go. Will be a lot better than the rubbish on prime time last night.

If the bookies are right, and its going to be Mick McCarthy, then I don't think that will do much to inspire the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Would love to see McCarthy get another chance.

Same goes for Kenny getting his chance.

But you know the FAI are going to go for Big Sam, Delaney probably impressed by his 100% record at senior international level (and the fact he's a former Limerick manager)!

Are you taking the p*** with O'Leary? He hasn't had a serious managerial job in over 12 years.

I think Allardyces name will be in the running and he could be a good appointment on a short term basis, but I don't want him. I think Irish fans would be skeptical of him taking over due to his reputation and style of play, we need someone who we can be optimistic about, I would fear with Allardyce if it went tit up things would be worse than ever.
    Any young, up and coming, innovative managers or coaches will have no interest in this position. I fear the second coming of McCarthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Delaney as manager with Dustin the Turkey as his assistant to do the pressers....

Any young, up and coming, innovative managers or coaches will have no interest in this position. I fear the second coming of McCarthy.

:(:(:(

I feel you are right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It's a very well paid job, and despite how the shambolic the end of MON's time was, I think it would be a very attractive job to a lot of coaches out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Be surprised if Big Sam is not our first choice

The man is an absolute charlatan. So that would be a no from me.

Same thing applies to all those 'proper football men' such as Moyes and Pardew.

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    Would love to see McCarthy get another chance.

Same goes for Kenny getting his chance.

But you know the FAI are going to go for Big Sam, Delaney probably impressed by his 100% record at senior international level (and the fact he's a former Limerick manager)!

But why should McCarthy get another chance? I like him as a person but he's yesterday's man in terms of football. He had his moment and that was a long time ago at this stage. A fresh face is needed now.

jbt123 wrote: »
    The man is an absolute charlatan. So that would be a no from me.

Same thing applies to all those 'proper football men' such as Moyes and Pardew.

Yeah, these failed names from the English game, please please please, we don't need them. Its not club football with a struggling team, we need a fresh approach, not going backwards into guys who will get a team fighting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

McCarthy did an excellent job with sweet FA at Ipswich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Hopefully whoever gets the job performs as poorly as MON has been for the past 2 years and the next resignation we get is Delaney after massive protests.

Anyone who wants Allardyce needs to cop on. Why would you want someone who is going to get a **** team to overperform and help the FAI temporarily cover up the shocking job they have done running football in this country? Delaney would give himself a new contract after a little success and we're stuck with him for another 10+ years. It's time to finish him and press reset. Finally.

Reading various articles they want someone in place ASAP which would indicate McCarthy

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

JoeA3 wrote: »
    It's a very well paid job, and despite how the shambolic the end of MON's time was, I think it would be a very attractive job to a lot of coaches out there.

International management is either for young, new coaches looking for their stepping stone (and you take the risk that they turn out to be hopeless managers) or guys looking their pension cause they can’t get decent club jobs any more.

I don’t think it’ll be very attractive. Nothing to do with the FAI or Ireland, more just the standing of the international game in modern football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Delaney needs to go before anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Give it Giggsy till end of 't season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Why would anyone want big sam. His style is the very same as o neill

In fact allardyce is just a less successful o neill, hyped up by the english media by keeping some mediocre teams up in the league just ahead of other mediocre teams while all the time losing the support of his own teams fans by playing horrible stuff.

A poor mans o neill, at least o neill won a league cup with Leicester and made another final, and took Celtic to uefa cup final.

Allardyce is also a money man, he would be the definition of a joke appointment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Slaven Bilic for me as an outside option. Lee Carsley has done well too but at academy level.

Stephen Kenny has no chance. Michael O'Neill came from a LoI team to NI but he had played in the top division for Newcastle United. Kenny never even played LoI football. Winning with Dundalk with the highest budget in the league is not the same as dealing with Premier League footballers. His record in europe is based on one (albeit fabulous) season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Guardiola, Zidane and Fergie put together can't save us now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Delighted

giphy.gif

Our national team has been un-watchable in recent times.

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Slaven Bilic for me as an outside option. Lee Carsley has done well too but at academy level.

Stephen Kenny has no chance. Michael O'Neill came from a LoI team to NI but he had played in the top division for Newcastle United. Kenny never even played LoI football. Winning with Dundalk with the highest budget in the league is not the same as dealing with Premier League footballers. His record in europe is based on one (albeit fabulous) season.

I don't think it will be Kenny but they way people are dismissing him is wrong IMO. He is a far better option than many listed and whether he played or not makes not an ounce of difference.

The football style he has and what he has built them into from where they were has to be admired and taken very seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Good he is gone.

His style of football gave good short term results & he did have a poor squad of players. He had run its course & he did well up until after Euro 2016.

We have a very poor squad atm with few players in form.

I would sacrifice short term results & bring in someone who try to change style of play. Someone like Rodgers(although he probably wouldn't be interested),Neil Lennon would my picks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,616 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Chris Hughton would be good but seems content at Brighton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

I wouldn't mind Mark Warburton. Good coach, develops players and is modern in his approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Whoever it is, the appointment will be PR driven to preserve John Delaney

• Advertisement

I fear it'll be one of:

Big Sam
    McCarthy
    Steve Bruce

Would be a disaster if it was any of them tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭PGE1970

AGC wrote: »
    I don't think it will be Kenny but they way people are dismissing him is wrong IMO. He is a far better option than many listed and whether he played or not makes not an ounce of difference.

The football style he has and what he has built them into from where they were has to be admired and taken very seriously.

I disagree entirely.

I'm following LoI football for 40 years since I was a kid. Kenny has done brilliantly with Dundalk. But, in the last 5 years, there have only been 2 competing teams in the league and one depended on Sean Maguire to win them the double.

In that time, Dundalk's excellent Europa League run has raised finances to enable them to buy the league's best talent e.g. Benson, McEleny etc. Kenny has developed players like Massey, Sheilds, Gartland, Towell etc. Of that there is no doubt.

Kenny flopped at Rovers, flopped at Dunfermline (although he took the wrong job) and did ok at Derry.

If you think that modern day Premier League standard footballers are going to buy into that, i think that you are wrong. Brian Kerr's job was made easier by the fact that he managed a lot of his team at underage. Eoin Hand had played with a some of his players when he took over and he played in england.

To go from the LoI to managing Ireland with no history of playing/performing at the highest level is unrealistic. And I say that as a LoI supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Whoever it is, the appointment will be PR driven to preserve John Delaney

All points towards Stephen Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Stephen Kenny.

Kenny would be the cheap option I think.
    He'll do it for a lot less than many others would.

Although SK has been very successful in LoI, his record at Dunfermline wasn't good.

Would be take it, with Dundalk beating all before them and American money coming into the club?

• Advertisement
Advertisement