Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Neill Gone - Next Rep Ireland Manager?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Duff wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind Mark Warburton. Good coach, develops players and is modern in his approach.

Magic hat would be a good fit if you were looking to develop the game long term. That's not the job spec though. It's about finding a manager who'll get you to the next major championship.
    tastyt wrote: »
    Kenny got dunfermline to a Scottish cup final, hardly a flop, theyd cut your hand off to reach another one.

He struggled in the league though and they were happy to see the back of him. Don't recall any other club outside of Ireland looking for him when he was sacked. Also, think he struggled with the media aspect of the job, which would be a big part of an international job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

ebbsy wrote: »
    The danger is with us being a host, they will not look long term.
    I dont think they ever really look long term,its always about getting to the next tournamnet and with us being hosts I expect that is magnified ten fold.

I expect it to be McCarthy.He has said he would be interested in the job again and he's currently not with a club .Probably a very easy appointment to make but not without plenty of risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

tvercetti wrote: »
    Probably a bit of a wild shout and might get laughed outta here!

Quique Shez Flores, only lasted 1 season at Watford but that's been the case for all there managers in recent years. Did play quite direct football, going 2 up top with Deeney and Ighalo and getting it upto them early but still obviously light-years ahead of O'Neill in managing to pass the ball around a bit. They were having a good season and went on a bit of a FA Cup run reaching the semis but there PL performances suffered and they ended the season poorly and he was given the boot.

Spent a couple of years at Espanyol since and got fired there a few months back so is out of work I believe. Can't tell you much about his years in Spain. Also hes one seriously stylish man which is obviously key too.

Few other outside shouts:

Michael Laudrup - Linked with alot of big jobs during his Swansea spell before a bad run and he got fired and has be fluting around Asia every since

Wouldn't mind seeing a dutch manager but options are probably limited, Koeman might have been a realistic shout after the car crash at Everton but has since got the Dutch job and is doing well.

Martin Jol - Managing a club in Egypt last I heard which was a few seasons ago.
    Frank de Boer - In Mourinhos words "Worst manager in PL history"
    Danny Blind - After a nightmare spell in charge of the National Team
    Guss Hiddink - Recently tookover the Chinese U21s
    LVG - Don't think I could listen to him
    Giovanni van Bronckhorst - Rangers connections could be an issue
    Frank Rijkaard - Whatever happened him

He was director of football at a Private School in Florida for a couple of years from 2013.

In 2016, he pretty much announced he was done with management.

Quique Sanchez Flores - good manager and won the Europa League with Atleti.

Stylish git too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Carlos Querioz has narrowed to third favourite at 10/1. Has done well at Iran, might be a reasonable shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Amirani wrote: »
    Carlos Querioz has narrowed to third favourite at 10/1. Has done well at Iran, might be a reasonable shout.

As effective as his Iran side were at stopping the opposition I would have to say No thanks. I could not watch a campaign if he applied similar to Ireland.

Querioz did a very good job with Iran and has a good CV.
    Afaik he is getting a lot of credit for helping with improving the structures in Iran.He did well with a very limited group of players although the style left a lot to be desired.

He's leaving the Job in a few weeks and doesn't earn a massive wage.Its not the worst suggestion I've heard so far as a candidate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Stephen Kenny has the job if he wants it. Dundalk expecting to announce his departure in the next 48 hours

chicorytip wrote: »
    Sarri worked in banking at a senior level and only became a full time coach in recent years managing two lower level teams to success before joining Napoli.

Sean Fitzpatrick is between jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Tippex wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if it's not Sam / Mick tbh.
    Would Stephen Kenny want it? Don't get me wrong I've a lot of time for him as a manager and a person but I don't know if he would genuinely take it at the moment he has a pretty decent thing going with Dundalk.

What would be interesting would be if Kenny did take it would the attitude to LOI players change in the national setup or would it stay the same?

There has been a lot of talk about lee carsley doing good things would he be up for an assistant role?

He openly admitted on OTB that he has ambitions for the position.

Love to see him get an opportunity.

• Advertisement

The one nagging thing about Kenny is that...when the pressure was applied last year by Cork City, he was prone to meltdowns about the refs and counting penos and his club completely lost ground during the few weeks when he went off the rails. He recovered well this season mind you.

Ideally for me its Michael O'Neill but can't say I've seen his name touted anywhere so looks like I might be alone on that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Wouldn't Kenny encounter a similar problem that Brian Kerr faced (or was supposed that he faced) wherein a grass-roots coach lacks the tools to effectively marshal a group of 'big-time' professional players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Anyone who thinks Stephen Kenny is getting the job clearly doesn't know John Delaney. The first two Euro Qualifiers could be against the likes of Spain and Germany. Two humiliating defeats and the all the pressure is on the man who appointed him.There is no way Delaney is taking that chance. It will be a World Class appointment (his words). In fairness the salary should ensure it is a candidate with a pedigree who fancies a part-time job.

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks Stephen Kenny is getting the job clearly doesn't know John Delaney. The first two Euro Qualifiers could be against the likes of Spain and Germany. Two humiliating defeats and the all the pressure is on the man who appointed him.There is no way Delaney is taking that chance. It will be a World Class appointment (his words). In fairness the salary should ensure it is a candidate with a pedigree who fancies a part-time job.

stakes are too high to employ Kenny, they need a quick fix solution which they will take, would love to see Kenny get a shot over time but i'd be very surprised if it is now.

In fairness the salary should ensure it is a candidate with a pedigree who fancies a part-time job.

It's certainly how we ended up with Trapattoni, anyway.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

briany wrote: »
    Wouldn't Kenny encounter a similar problem that Brian Kerr faced (or was supposed that he faced) wherein a grass-roots coach lacks the tools to effectively marshal a group of 'big-time' professional players?

Kerr managed Duff and Keane at underage level, at the very least he had two of the big name players on his side going into the job.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Kerr managed Duff and Keane at underage level, at the very least he had two of the big name players on his side going into the job.

Some of most senior players and biggest personalities in the current dressing room played League of Ireland for a number of years - Coleman, and McClean played under Kenny at Derry and Ward at Bohs.

Amirani wrote: »
    Some of most senior players and biggest personalities in the current dressing room played League of Ireland for a number of years - Coleman, and McClean played under Kenny at Derry and Ward at Bohs.

It's one thing for a coach like Kenny or Kerr to effectively manage players when they're young and starting out, and possibly have not developed as much of an ego or ideas of their own. It's more the idea of an LoI man trying to dictate to seasoned Premiership and Championship players how he wants the game to be played.

Actually, he'd probably get the usual honeymoon period that managers usually get and the players would be behind him, but the worry would be that respect for him drops off precipitously if things don't get off on the right foot. And the story would be "LoI man out of his depth at international level".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Give it Giggsy. Or Neil Lennon - his suits are getting progressively tighter, a run arounds with the lads in training would do him wonders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Its a fair point.

I've been hugely impressed by what he's done at Dundalk.

....but the gulf from LOI to being drawn in a group against some of the heavyweights of European International football is a HUGE step.

IMO several of the senior players never fully believed in Kerr back in his time in the job.

If I remember correct, after his departure, there were comments coming out of the camp along the lines....of he was too obsessive about stopping the opposition's strengths.

And didn't prepare us to play to our own potential

Some of the results would appear to back that up.
    Back in 2004/05 we actually had a pretty talented squad.

We really underachieved in 2006 WC qualifying finishing in 4th place.
    The only teams we beat in the group were the Faroes and Cyprus.

Glad O Neill it's gone.

Mc Carthy probably the best option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

If it's Erickson then it's time to just close up the gates altogether. ****ing mercenary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Is he still alive?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Its a fair point.

I've been hugely impressed by what he's done at Dundalk.

....but the gulf from LOI to being drawn in a group against some of the heavyweights of European International football is a HUGE step.

IMO several of the senior players never fully believed in Kerr back in his time in the job.

If I remember correct, after his departure, there were comments coming out of the camp along the lines....of he was too obsessive about stopping the opposition's strengths.

And didn't prepare us to play to our own potential

Some of the results would appear to back that up.
    Back in 2004/05 we actually had a pretty talented squad.

We really underachieved in 2006 WC qualifying finishing in 4th place.
    The only teams we beat in the group were the Faroes and Cyprus.

Yeah. Kerr is seen as some sort of Irish footballing Messiah these days but my recollection of his time in charge of the senior team is a lot of dour games and extremely cautious tactics. Remember him giving up a 2 goal lead against Israel. It’s a very different story when these guys are in a pundits chair in a TV studio...

I’ve read a few autobiographies etc from ex internationals who played under him. McAteer is one who springs to mind (I know I know), who was distinctly unimpressed by the “unknown” Kerr replacing big Mick. So I’d really fear for someone like Kenny, that he’d have similar issues with ego’s in the dressing room unless he got off to an unlikely roaring start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

And everyone will sigh when Bruce/Sam/Sven is appointed and we will be in the exact same position in two years with no idea or long term plan in sight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Does McCarthy play progressive football these days? Didn't the Ipswich fans turn on him due to the style of play?

We need something different and I think for that reason they should go with Kenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Im being a bit pedantic but actually they couldnt, we cant be drawn with two other co hosts. Ideal scenario is to get Azerbijan that would then rule out all the other co hosts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Oh no, please don't

You have just set off "The Citizen".

She/he is in full defensive mode about one for her/his former Celtic binkies.

O'Neill is only a few hours out of the job and we have started again with Lennon.

That's a bit rich coming from you Tod, the only guy around here continously offering excuses for Delaney.
    Ok so explain to me how the national team will preform better with a different person in charge of the FAI.

The current man has, over the past decade, given us Trappatoni a manager respected the world over and Martin O'Neill a man who at the time of appointment was highly regarded and a very much welcomed by fans.

Under this administration arguably Ireland's greatest players was also enticed to become the assistant manager and his presence would bring the passion and pride that ere need to help the national team develop.

He also managed to get a multi-millionaire to pay part of the managers salary and got FIFA to pony up e5 million for a refereeing mistake.

So how ill things be better with a different CEO, or whatever the title is ?

Noel, is it yourself?

I notice you failed to compare him to say the head of Spanish FA that was in place for most of the time Delaney was in charge in Ireland.
    Mr Angel Maria Villar was in charge of Spanish FA from 1988 to 2016.
    In that time shall we compare how Spanish football changed and how much they won ?
    For instance in 2012 Mr Villar's Spanish team won the Euros, humiliating the Irish team in the process, whose head of FA was on over twice Mr Villar's salary.
    Go on keep telling us what great value John is.

Now before anyone starts about the playing population and resources of Spain, we are not expecting Ireland to be winning tournaments or revolutionising the game.
    But we have a hugely recompensed head of a malfunctioning FA and the game is going backwards in this country.
    There hasn't been any progress at all.

Then again Mr Villar is maybe a hero of John's after he made it to become acting UEFA president after Platini.

Of course his 2017 arrest on suspicion of embezzling funds is not something that will happen to John, he has no need to embezzle.:rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Stan for me tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Oh no, please don't

You have just set off "The Citizen".

She/he is in full defensive mode about one for her/his former Celtic binkies.

O'Neill is only a few hours out of the job and we have started again with Lennon.
    Why wouldn't Lennon be considered a candidate? He has a good managerial CV, more experience than others who have been linked with the job like Stephen Kenny and he's a younger hungrier manager than the likes of Mick McCarthy or Sam Allardyce. Should he be ruled out because he was manager of Celtic or played under Martin O'Neill?

And what the fúck is a binkie anyway?

Also you can call me a he to make it easier for yourself Tod Umptious (sic):D

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

The one nagging thing about Kenny is that...when the pressure was applied last year by Cork City, he was prone to meltdowns about the refs and counting penos and his club completely lost ground during the few weeks when he went off the rails. He recovered well this season mind you.

Ideally for me its Michael O'Neill but can't say I've seen his name touted anywhere so looks like I might be alone on that one.

Spiteful man his behaviour last 2 seasons when city were on their coat tails has left me with no respect for this guy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Great fun looking at the betting. An old favourite has popped up. Philippe Troussier at 66/1. I remember in the past him being touted as a good pick. Looking at his record as a manager since the 80s he hasn't stayed in a job for more than 2 years which is some achievement in itself. Hmmm considering it's John Delaney maybe a fiver is a sound bet :)

Zico ! wrote: »
    Spiteful man his behaviour last 2 seasons when city were on their coat tails has left me with no respect for this guy

Two of them in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Patww79 wrote: »
    Two of them in that.

Ya Johnny wont be getting the job either -laughable kennys even linked with it considering the balls of a job he done getting Dunfermline relegated in Scotland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Joe Kinnear being interviewed as we speak.

Gringo180 wrote: »

As soon as he's done Noel King is up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Gringo180 wrote: »

giphy.webp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Zico ! wrote: »

Jaysus Caulfield was as bad if not worse.
    Are you still bitter about coming second?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

O'Neill was the 4th highest paid international manager in the world (not sure if Keane's wages are included in that, but he was on top money as well). The next appointment won't be getting what Martin and Roy got but on money alone we should be able to attract a candidate of some stature.

Stephen Kenny is a nobody outside of Irish football. We also have half the team not from Ireland. Many of the team won't have a clue who the Irish League of Ireland Champions are.

The wages are there to attract someone that has managed at least to an equivalent level as the Irish national team.

*John Delaney is the main problem child of Irish football. But he's there for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I might regret saying this but the style of football doesn't matter too much to me and I doubt it matters too much to the men making the decision. Once we are competitive again and playing some kind of football and creating chances, that will be enough. Even MON at the start of his reign there weren't that many complaints regarding style, it has only been since the euros. I don't think any manager in world football is going to come in, assess our squad and think let's play tiki taka with these lads, the best we can hope for is a balanced style.

• Advertisement

Jaysus Caulfield was as bad if not worse.
    Are you still bitter about coming second?

Caulfield is ten times worse! Bitter Cork opinion that’s all really!

I might regret saying this but the style of football doesn't matter too much to me and I doubt it matters too much to the men making the decision. Once we are competitive again and playing some kind of football and creating chances, that will be enough. Even MON at the start of his reign there weren't that many complaints regarding style, it has only been since the euros. I don't think any manager in world football is going to come in, assess our squad and think let's play tiki taka with these lads, the best we can hope for is a balanced style.

People mainly complain about the team's playing style if it's a losing one. Iceland seemed to be half of all neutrals' pet team during the last WC even though their possession stats were through the floor. But they had a footballing formula that worked, a bit of a novelty factor, a cool clap and their players seemed to put in an honest shift.

There are certain issues within the Irish mindset that need to be overcome. For example, Irish teams capitulate after going 2 goals behind. There's a certain brittleness of spirit and confidence that's always been lurking, even when the team's had a fairly competitive lineup. I've been watching the team under every manager since Jack, and in so many campaigns I could name you a needless result that effectively scuppered qualification chances. Somehow the mental fortitude must be engendered both to fight back and to kill off games.

Whoever it is, it shouldn't be someone who's looking for a handy number based on titles they won a decade or more ago. I remember that Brian McDermott and Brendan Rodgers being discussed whenever the subject came up. Are they not still in the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It had better not be another multi million euro all in the here and now merchant..

The FAI need a 15 year plan with a manager who wants to be involved in all levels and oversee a genuine skills and personnel development program.

It's the FAI though and Delaney so we won't get that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Chris coleman , Mick O'Neill maybe. Stephen Kenny s decent shout. Not McCarthy anyway.

lawred2 wrote: »
    It had better not be another multi million euro all in the here and now merchant..

The FAI need a 15 year plan with a manager who wants to be involved in all levels and oversee a genuine skills and personnel development program.

It's the FAI though and Delaney so we won't get that.

I dont think a 15 year plan is something that really concerns the senior manager but should be a major issue for the people running football in this country.

The FAI need to get their house in order and plan for the long term future.The under age set ups need more investment and recent developments are a start.
    We need dozens of properly qualified coach's ,the FAI should be making it as easy and cost effective for aspiring coachs to get their badges instead they charge a fortune for them.

We need a proper plan and that's a mix between getting in a new manager to give us a proper chance to get to tournaments and the implementation of better structures for the next generation.

What Iceland did really is a template of what we should be aiming for.They aren't a big or traditional football nation but spent money on grass roots and it's seen a good return .

Unfortunately I dont think there is any hunger from the top brass to plan long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I think anyone bringing up Brendan Rodgers name as a possibility must be deluded. He will be in line for a top 10 Premier League club if he leaves Celtic or even a decent foreign team. No way in hell he is looking at the Irish job.

Chris Hughton is also not touching that position with a barge pole either. He’s doing well where he is for now.

It’s McCarthy for a safe bet, Kenny for a romantic choice, and Allardyce, Quieroz, for a mercenary type.

• Advertisement

GSPfan wrote: »
    I think anyone bringing up Brendan Rodgers name as a possibility must be deluded. He will be in line for a top 10 Premier League club if he leaves Celtic or even a decent foreign team. No way in hell he is looking at the Irish job.

Chris Hughton is also not touching that position with a barge pole either. He’s doing well where he is for now.

It’s McCarthy for a safe bet, Kenny for a romantic choice, and Allardyce, Quieroz, for a mercenary type.

I saw a quote about Mccarthy that he has 'unfinished business' with the Irish team. In my opinion, his business is pretty done. He took Ireland to a good showing at WC 2002, and their best in terms of the style they played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

We don't have any big time professionals now.

It has to be Stephen Kenny. Big Sam and Mick is more of same. We need to try something a bit different, we don't need another defend and set pieces manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Big Sam or Mick McCarthy realistically.

Dream option.... Arsene Wenger!!!! ....but then the FAI does not even have the ambition to even attempt to sign a quality Manager like Wenger .... ya know he might even teach the team to pass the ball and keep possession. :D :eek::pac: and pick out passes to players like Wes did.

It would give a different direction to the negative dross we have to watch( the system and style of play is set up by the Manager) and put Irish football in a positive direction.... I know we dont have world class players but then that's the skill of the manager... make the team play better than the supposed quality of the individual players they have.

Why would Wenger go near a job with Ireland?
    He will have plenty of top clubs looking for his services over the next 6 months and I'd reckon the French job is still something he will be near the top of the list for when they go looking again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

yabadabado wrote: »
    Why would Wenger go near a job with Ireland?
    He will have plenty of top clubs looking for his services over the next 6 months and I'd reckon the French job is still something he will be near the top of the list for when they go looking again.

Zidane will be next for the France job. Wenger will be back at Monaco by the end of January.

• Advertisement
Advertisement