Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Neill Gone - Next Rep Ireland Manager?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Big Sam or Mick McCarthy realistically.

Dream option.... Arsene Wenger!!!! ....but then the FAI does not even have the ambition to even attempt to sign a quality Manager like Wenger .... ya know he might even teach the team to pass the ball and keep possession. :D :eek::pac: and pick out passes to players like Wes did.

It would give a different direction to the negative dross we have to watch( the system and style of play is set up by the Manager) and put Irish football in a positive direction.... I know we dont have world class players but then that's the skill of the manager... make the team play better than the supposed quality of the individual players they have.

All we are going to hear from posters here for the next few weeks are things like the following

The FAI don't have the ambition to sign a quality manager like so and so, or someone else who has managerial experience and a proven track record.

The FAI want a quick fix, they don't have the ambition to go out a find a young manager for the long term. They will try and get quality manager like so and so, or someone else who has managerial experience and a proven track record.

Which is it folks ?

All we heard for the past month or more what that the FAI had no ambition to sack MON, it would cost too much, the FAI didn't care, the meetings between them an MON will end up in a statement about the future and structures etc etc

How long did it take to sack him after the latest two terrible games, less than 36 hours ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

All we are going to hear from posters here for the next few weeks are things like the following

The FAI don't have the ambition to sign a quality manager like so and so, or someone else who has managerial experience and a proven track record.

The FAI want a quick fix, they don't have the ambition to go out a find a young manager for the long term. They will try and get quality manager like so and so, or someone else who has managerial experience and a proven track record.

Which is it folks ?

All we heard for the past month or more what that the FAI had no ambition to sack MON, it would cost too much, the FAI didn't care, the meetings between them an MON will end up in a statement about the future and structures etc etc

How long did it take to sack him after the latest two terrible games, less than 36 hours ?

I think the FAI are a convenient scapegoat for some people when the team is playing rubbish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

I’d be straight on the phone to Neil Lennon myself. Give him a 6 year deal & let him try build an identity to our play.

Young, fiery, passionate, proven he can set a team up. Exactly what we need in my opinion, a man that’ll get buns back on seats & have the players playing with pride once again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

gstack166 wrote: »
    I’d be straight on the phone to Neil Lennon myself. Give him a 6 year deal & let him try build an identity to our play.

Young, fiery, passionate, proven he can set a team up. Exactly what we need in my opinion, a man that’ll get buns back on seats & have the players playing with pride once again.

What identity would that be? How would it differ from MON/RK? Also, have you not learned your lesson regarding the length of contracts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Wasn't that MON and Keane's stick. Whilst blood and thunder is useful at times. Tactics / management and organisation is what's needed here. Also long contracts should not be given out unless they contain exit clauses just looked what happened here when we extended the deal.

Berserker wrote: »
    What identity would that be? How would it differ from MON/RK? Also, have you not learned your lesson regarding the length of contracts?

There was no shape, no pattern, no ideas in the team at all this year. Look at the 3 lads in the middle for the North last week. Average players in comparison to some of our lads in MF & they knew what they were doing. They were drilled into what was wanted from them, I feel Lennon would do the same.

There’s no point in giving someone a 2 year deal with a merit to qualify for the Euros & take it from there. The man is instantly under pressure for results from the start & we go back to the old guard that’s clearly not working for us, with the same tactics, sit back, stay in the game as long as possible & try & Knick one.

I’d rather get pumped 5-0 every game for the first year because we’re trying to play attractive football & blooding in young players, all that alone is going to take at least 2 years, give the next man a contract which will allow him to do that.

We don’t have the players to just turn this qualifying campaign around with a change of manager, being this man in with the job of qualifying for the World Cup & any thing else before is just a welcome bonus.

That’s just my opinion now, not saying it will or will not work but it’s what I would do if I was in Deleaneys seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Wasn't that MON and Keane's stick. Whilst blood and thunder is useful at times. Tactics / management and organisation is what's needed here. Also long contracts should not be given out unless they contain exit clauses just looked what happened here when we extended the deal.
    No need for a 6 year contract.

If you watch Lennon's teams they play a decent brand of high tempo football. He has also shown the ability to set a team up to defend properly against top sides when with Celtic in the CL. He has also shown the ability to get the best out of mediocre players Championship level players which a lot of our players are now.
    He has experience and hunger for success in management and he'd be well able to handle the media, does a lot of punditry work.

If the choice is between Stephen Kenny and Mick McCarthy, Lennon would be a better choice than either of those in my opinion for different reasons.

And have to go through all those renegotiations in 6 years?

Oh no no.

I'd say give him a contract for life. And don't have anything like incentives for qualification or anything. Pay him top dollar forever and ever.

There was no shape, no pattern, no ideas in the team at all this year. Look at the 3 lads in the middle for the North last week. Average players in comparison to some of our lads in MF & they knew what they were doing. They were drilled into what was wanted from them, I feel Lennon would do the same.

There’s no point in giving someone a 2 year deal with a merit to qualify for the Euros & take it from there. The man is instantly under pressure for results from the start & we go back to the old guard that’s clearly not working for us, with the same tactics, sit back, stay in the game as long as possible & try & Knick one.

I’d rather get pumped 5-0 every game for the first year because we’re trying to play attractive football & blooding in young players, all that alone is going to take at least 2 years, give the next man a contract which will allow him to do that.

We don’t have the players to just turn this qualifying campaign around with a change of manager, being this man in with the job of qualifying for the World Cup & any thing else before is just a welcome bonus.

That’s just my opinion now, not saying it will or will not work but it’s what I would do if I was in Deleaneys seat.
    Lennon would get us to Euro 2020. Lennon would hit the ground running in the Ireland job.

There will be opposition from those who are ill informed and will see him connected with MON, he's no longer connected with MON and his management style (as in the hands off Clough type style) isn't like his at all. Lennon is very much a hands on manager/coach. I wouldn't worry about that.

He's exactly what we need actually.

And have to go through all those renegotiations in 6 years?

Oh no no.

I'd say give him a contract for life. And don't have anything like incentives for qualification or anything. Pay him top dollar forever and ever.
    snigger

• Advertisement

What would Neill Lennon be on a year at Hibs? I’ve no idea... would he be on 400k? Even if you boosted him to 700k for the job, I’m sure the next manager is going to have to take a significant decrease to MON. Would you take Lennon for 6 years at €3.5m?

Edit. Maths never was my strong point. €4.2m for 6 years.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    snigger

Was that...insincere?

Or have you finally joined in the laughter and merriment that's been in the air since yesterday? If so, welcome aboard, good that you've finally signed up for the party! :D

What would Neill Lennon be on a year at Hibs? I’ve no idea... would he be on 400k? Even if you boosted him to 700k for the job, I’m sure the next manager is going to have to take a significant decrease to MON. Would you take Lennon for 6 years at €3.5m?

Edit. Maths never was my strong point. €4.2m for 6 years.

I don't think there's any need for a 6 year contract for any manager we take on. The shelf life of most managers these days is usually no more than 4 years no matter who they are.

Lennon would be a good choice. Offer him a two year deal and then when he gets us to Euro 2020 (which he would in my opinion) offer him another deal then.

I see what you're getting at about the long term deal because a job of work needs to be done to develop soccer in Ireland and the first team senior manager should have a role in that, but ultimately his main role is getting the team of players he has now to tournaments. The development of the game is more the responsibility of the FAI and there's a different conversation to be had there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Wouldn't be the biggest fan of Lennon after the whole "mistress and threatening her with a knife to shut her up" vibes he had going on a couple of years ago...

franglan wrote: »
    Wouldn't be the biggest fan of Lennon after the whole "mistress and threatening her with a knife to shut her up" vibes he had going on a couple of years ago...

Right, is that the best you can come up with. There was nothing to that story, it was a tabloid paper story, and there was no charges involved.

Why don't you tell us why you really wouldn't want Neil Lennon as manager?

Michael O'Neill the choice of a particular poster on here:rolleyes: has had actual documented issues with drink driving, would that rule him out of the running in your view?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

I think the FAI are a convenient scapegoat for some people when the team is playing rubbish.

Of course they are. They are the governing body FFS. It is their responsibility to have systems in place to ensure the best chance at success. In that regard they have been failing.

Right, is that the best you can come up with. There was nothing to that story, it was a tabloid paper story, and there was no charges involved.

Why don't you tell us why you really wouldn't want Neil Lennon as manager?

Michael O'Neill the choice of a particular poster on here:rolleyes: has had actual documented issues with drink driving, would that rule him out of the running in your view?

The best I can come up with? Steady. He apologised for the incident. Typically it wouldnt be the type of allegation you would fight if not true, you certainly wouldn't be apologising. To answer your question that type of behaviour would be a red flag for me yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

The best I can come up with? Steady. He apologised for the incident. Typically it wouldnt be the type of allegation you would fight if not true, you certainly wouldn't be apologising. To answer your question that type of behaviour would be a red flag for me yes.

I believe what he actually apologized for es the fact that the media circus around it was contributing to bad results for Bolton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

If he gets the job and is a success then I don't care what he does. Most professional sports people probably aren't good people anyway, but they're not being paid to be.

• Advertisement

Is that me? Someone has gone right off the idea of putting "Conor" in every second word of his posts...:D:D

Personally, I think a knife threat against a woman is worse than drink driving...but I actually wouldn't let either affect a decision about whether they can manage a team. I would say one has managed an international side and done pretty well in the finals of a major competition, the other might be good but his experience is really more about preparing teams to face East Fife and Arbroath.

He had extra marital affairs and that's what he was apologising about, that and the media circus around it. He didn't admit to any of the specific allegations in the tabloid paper. If you're going to rule out potential managers because they may have had affairs in the past then that could shorten your list of potential candidates somewhat, we're talking about professional footballers here.

It wouldn't affect my decision on whether he'd get the job or not. Michael O'Neill the same, he was found guilty of drink driving and has been issued with a driving ban but I wouldn't see that as ruling him out of a job in football management

What about the Michael O'Neill question, you didn't answer that one? He has been actually convicted of drink driving, would that be a "red flag" for you?

Is that me? Someone has gone right off the idea of putting "Conor" in every second word of his posts...:D:D

Personally, I think a knife threat against a woman is worse than drink driving...but I actually wouldn't let either affect a decision about whether they can manage a team. I would say one has managed an international side and done pretty well in the finals of a major competition, the other might be good but his experience is really more about preparing teams to face East Fife and Arbroath.

Right well let's leave the private lives of the two out of it then.

Lennon has a far more impressive managerial CV than Michael O'Neill, if you are comparing the two. Lennon has managed Celtic a big club at Champions League level and has brought success to Celtic at that level. He has gone on to do well at Hibernian getting them promoted and getting them into Europe. He also managed Bolton in the championship keeping them from relegation while they struggled financially, they went bust the following season. What's this about East Fife and Arbroath?

Michael O'Neill has done well for Northern Ireland getting them to the Euros in 2016 but a bit like Martin O'Neill his results since then haven't been great. Martin O'Neill got sacked for his run of results and you want to appoint a manager with a similar record in terms of results over the past year instead of him:pac:.

Anyway, I don't want to disparage Michael O'neill, he would be a legitimate candidate but I doubt he's in the running anyway, as in I don't think he'd leave the Northern Ireland job for the Republic job. Neil Lennon might be interested though, and I think he'd be a very good choice.

He had extra marital affairs and that's what he was apologising about, that and the media circus around it. He didn't admit to any of the specific allegations in the tabloid paper. If you're going to rule out potential managers because they may have had affairs in the past then that could shorten your list of potential candidates somewhat, we're talking about professional footballers here.

It wouldn't affect my decision on whether he'd get the job or not. Michael O'Neill the same, he was found guilty of drink driving and has been issued with a driving ban but I wouldn't see that as ruling him out of a job in football management

What about the Michael O'Neill question, you didn't answer that one? He has been actually convicted of drink driving, would that be a "red flag" for you?

Oh Jesus Christ it's already stared and he is not even on the list of potential candidates

Oh Jesus Christ it's already stared and he is not even on the list of potential candidates

What's your problem? Are posters not allowed to make a case for a candidate of their choice?

What's this list of potential candidates you're on about, have you seen it?

With the drink driving like any employer you would have to factor that in to any employment decision. Don't think football management can be immune to that but it is deemed less important than most jobs.

• Advertisement

With the drink driving like any employer you would have to factor that in to any employment decision. Don't think football management can be immune to that but it is deemed less important than most jobs.

Right, so you don't have a problem with a potential candidate who has an actual court conviction against him but you do with a potential candidate who has had unsubstantiated allegations made against him that appeared nowhere else other than in a tabloid newspaper?

It's a good job you're not making the judgement on who should be considered for this job is all I will say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the argument that Kenny wouldn't have the respect of the players might have had some weight back when we had some players playing for the top teams, in the Champions League etc. I don't think it's valid at the moment given the profile of most of the squad.

Michael O'Neill hasn't had any problems of that type in the north, Ok we have slightly higher standard of players but not one of them is a world beater who is going to be thinking "Im too good to be coached by this guy"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Stephen Kenny, and it's not close.

If you want to make an effort at making an impact at grassroots level, and actually energise the base, then Kenny is your man.

plus, the man has lost his best player for 3 straight seasons is it? and he's still won a plethora of titles and cups, playing a modern style of football.

give the man a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

No need for a 6 year contract.

If you watch Lennon's teams they play a decent brand of high tempo football. He has also shown the ability to set a team up to defend properly against top sides when with Celtic in the CL. He has also shown the ability to get the best out of mediocre players Championship level players which a lot of our players are now.
    He has experience and hunger for success in management and he'd be well able to handle the media, does a lot of punditry work.

If the choice is between Stephen Kenny and Mick McCarthy, Lennon would be a better choice than either of those in my opinion for different reasons.

Finished 18th in the Championship in his first season after a horrendously poor run to end it, and left with the club rock bottom 11 points adrift of safety after 37 games and all but relegated in his second season.

At best it's a massive stretch to say he has gotten the best out of anyone at Championship level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Seriously?

Are you happy with the state of club and underage football in Ireland?

Are you happy with the meager funds that the FAI does have being used to pay for marquee managers? Managers who have no interest in underage or domestic football?

Martin O Neill was one of the highest paid international managers in the world - for a country where the domestic champions receive less in prize money than the CEO of the governing body.

It's banana republic stuff.

There is no one else to blame but the FAI!

Convenient scapegoat!? lol

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    Finished 18th in the Championship in his first season after a horrendously poor run to end it, and left with the club rock bottom 11 points adrift of safety after 37 games and all but relegated in his second season.

At best it's a massive stretch to say he has gotten the best out of anyone at Championship level.

Bolton were in financial turmoil and he did a good job in his first year to keep them up. I would say it would be more fair to judge him on his time managing Celtic and then managing Hibs.

A different domestic league obviously but some of that would be Championship level experience and some of it (with Celtic) would be higher than that in the Champions League.

I wondered when his name would pop up in the media - and I heard it for the first time there on the midday news on Newstalk

David Moyes

N'ah!

You mean like getting Celtic to the last 16 of the Champions League?? Or is that not a "major" competition, or not doing "pretty well"??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

He beat one of the greatest teams of all time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

lawred2 wrote: »
    Seriously?

Are you happy with the state of club and underage football in Ireland?

Are you happy with the meager funds that the FAI does have being used to pay for marquee managers? Managers who have no interest in underage or domestic football?

Martin O Neill was one of the highest paid international managers in the world - for a country where the domestic champions receive less in prize money than the CEO of the governing body.

It's banana republic stuff.

There is no one else to blame but the FAI!

Convenient scapegoat!? lol

I cant wait for his reponse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,618 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Has Neil Lennon or David O' Leary got a mention yet :p

I cant wait for his reponse

I'll respond, since it was in response to my post that the poster you are referring originally responded to

The context of the this is with regard to the appointment of a new manager

A poster mentioned that the FAI would not have the ambition to hire and established manager like Arsen Wenger

Other posters are suggesting that they will not have the ambition to go it a long term appointment and only think with a view to 2020 and thus hire a established manager

Either way you look at it the FAI will be criticized for not having a long term goal and also be criticized for not having the ambition to go for someone like Arsen Wenger.

Equally I'm sure if they gamble on someone we never heard of before they will be accused of being cheap while if they spent big on a high profile manager they will be accused of squandering money etc.

Either way the FAI cannot win and they are an easy scapegoat.

It has been evident over the past few weeks with regard to MON, many suggesting that they did not have the balls to fire him, or that they could not afford to fire him etc

Guess what happened, they fired him within 36 hours of the end of the international season (if you want to call it that).

Now of course the FAI and JD are not without blame for the controversy that surrounds them, but the default criticizing the FAI and JD regardless of what they do is just lazy analysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

It's going to be Mick. Thoughts?

I'll respond, since it was in response to my post that the poster you are referring originally responded to

A poster mentioned that the FAI would not have the ambition to hire and established manager like Arsen Wenger

Other posters are suggesting that they will not have the ambition to go it a long term appointment and only think with a view to 2020 and thus hire a established manager

Either way you look at it the FAI will be criticized for not having a long term goal and also be criticized for not having the ambition to go for someone like Arsen Wenger.

Equally I'm sure if they gamble on someone we never heard of before they will be accused of being cheap while if they spent big on a high profile manager they will be accused of squandering money etc.

It has been evident over the past few weeks with regard to MON, many suggesting that they did not have the balls to fire him, or that they could not afford to fire him etc

Guess what happened, they fired him within 36 hours of the end of the international season (if you want to call it that).

Now of course the FAI and JD are not without blame for the controversy that surrounds them, but the default criticizing the FAI and JD regardless of what they do is just lazy analysis.

What he just said.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Carmen Squeaking Tenor

Berserker wrote: »
    It's going to be Mick. Thoughts?

Ugh worse than O’Neill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

FAI meeting with Mick this weekend. Looks like a fait accompli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Gutted,hoofball and no imagination.

Delighted. Will put to bed the "we don't have the players" when we eventually get a shot on target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If it's entertaining football, to win the fans back, the FAI are after, they're going for the wrong man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Zero imagination.

The top two in the betting was McCarthy and Kenny, I would have went with Kenny if it was between those two. Going back to Mick is a backward step. Wish him all the best of course and I think depending on the draw he'll hopefully get us qualified for 2020.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

How is it lazy?

At the end of the day the FAI are responsible for the success of Irish football through their actions off the field, they are accountable, same way MON and Keane have been held to account for what was provided on the field.

They have completely failed. What positives and success stories can you give me from the FAI and JD?

Ireland's style of football under Mick McCarthy the first time wasn't too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

The best football i saw Ireland play was under McCarthy...what are people going on about hoofball for?

• Advertisement

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    The best football i saw Ireland play was under McCarthy...what are people going on about hoofball for?

It's just coz we had Niall Quinn up top! Quinn was actually good with his feet though (unlike Cascarino)

I am finding this stuff about Robbie Keane being his assistant very premature. Mick and only mick will decide who his assistant is and he'll want someone experienced. Ian Evans was his assistant the first time (and again at Sunderland and Wolves). Then he also had Terry Connor at Wolves and subsequently at Ipswich too

So I am guessing he will bring in Terry Connor as his assistant and MAYBE Robbie Keane will be in the team at some level.

Advertisement