Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Neill Gone - Next Rep Ireland Manager?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

AGC wrote: »
    How is it lazy?

At the end of the day the FAI are responsible for the success of Irish football through their actions off the field, they are accountable, same way MON and Keane have been held to account for what was provided on the field.

They have completely failed. What positives and success stories can you give me from the FAI and JD?

Trap was a coup, he was a highly respected world manager.
    Plus the FAI got someone else to foot the bill.
    MON was also welcomed appointment and was the inclusion of Keane, the man that would bring all the passion and the professionalism to the Ireland coaching setup.

But hey, people here are already bemoaning McCarthy and his "hoofball" so that kind of tells you the intellect of this place .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Big meh from me on this McCarthy choice.

Going around in circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Big meh from me on this McCarthy choice.

Going around in circles.

I've the same feeling. A bit underwhelming to be honest. I'd love to see us "attempt" to play attacking football, but just can't see it under Mick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

What a classic John Delaney appointment McCarthy is. All this bastard cares about is being on his plinth in Lansdowne during Euro 2020. He has zero vision past that and privately I’d say he’s already made his mind up on moving off post tournament to an even cushier UEFA position. So hes gone for what he sees as the only really short term option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Gutted,hoofball and no imagination.

Anyone who thinks McCarthy's Ireland played hoofball obviously never watched McCarthy's Ireland. Some of our best passing football was under his watch. Whether he is the right man for now is debatable but a long ball merchant he was not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

ollkiller wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks McCarthy's Ireland played hoofball obviously never watched McCarthy's Ireland. Some of our best passing football was under his watch. Whether he is the right man for now is debatable but a long ball merchant he was not.

When did you last watch a team managed by him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Plus the FAI got someone else to foot the bill.
    MON was also welcomed appointment and was the inclusion of Keane, the man that would bring all the passion and the professionalism to the Ireland coaching setup.

But hey, people here are already bemoaning McCarthy and his "hoofball" so that kind of tells you the intellect of this place .

Getting someone else to pay the bill is not a positive. It’s lucky DOB was there or what else would we have gotten? You could also question why Delaney takes the salary he does then goes cap in hand to fund a manager by someone who you could question how he makes his money!

Putting managers in place is a basic function of any CEO, if they kept being I successful what would most boards do? Question the CEO

If you base positives on managerial appointments no wonder the association is a shambles.

He has been at the helm 13 (?) years and you have giving me 2 things.

Any football commentator over the last couple of days from Liam Brady, Kerr, Charlie Nichol and countless former Ireland players all rightly lay the blame for the mess at the door of the FAI and for Brady to do that you know things must be bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭ollkiller

When did you last watch a team managed by him?

I was referring to his time as Ireland manager. Which was not hoofball. I haven't watched him in the championship but did watch him with Sunderland. His teams are hard to break down, if in doubt at the back clear it but i've never seen him against passing football. Maybe i''m wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Right, so you don't have a problem with a potential candidate who has an actual court conviction against him but you do with a potential candidate who has had unsubstantiated allegations made against him that appeared nowhere else other than in a tabloid newspaper?

It's a good job you're not making the judgement on who should be considered for this job is all I will say.

My God, your posts are sour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    The best football i saw Ireland play was under McCarthy...what are people going on about hoofball for?

His last decade in management.

Swapping O'Neill for McCarthy is the international equivalent of Allardyce replacing Pardew at a relegation threatened Premier League club.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

I'll respond, since it was in response to my post that the poster you are referring originally responded to

The context of the this is with regard to the appointment of a new manager

A poster mentioned that the FAI would not have the ambition to hire and established manager like Arsen Wenger

Other posters are suggesting that they will not have the ambition to go it a long term appointment and only think with a view to 2020 and thus hire a established manager

Either way you look at it the FAI will be criticized for not having a long term goal and also be criticized for not having the ambition to go for someone like Arsen Wenger.

Equally I'm sure if they gamble on someone we never heard of before they will be accused of being cheap while if they spent big on a high profile manager they will be accused of squandering money etc.

Either way the FAI cannot win and they are an easy scapegoat.

It has been evident over the past few weeks with regard to MON, many suggesting that they did not have the balls to fire him, or that they could not afford to fire him etc

Guess what happened, they fired him within 36 hours of the end of the international season (if you want to call it that).

Now of course the FAI and JD are not without blame for the controversy that surrounds them, but the default criticizing the FAI and JD regardless of what they do is just lazy analysis.

The questions the previous poster asked was
    eriously?

Are you happy with the state of club and underage football in Ireland?

Are you happy with the meager funds that the FAI does have being used to pay for marquee managers? Managers who have no interest in underage or domestic football?

You never answered either?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

My God, your posts are sour.

What's that supposed to mean? Do you disagree with my post? If you don't what are you even talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Mick getting the job is a bit meh but to be honest the whole list of potential candidates was. Can't think of many comebacks that turn out well tbh. He had a fantastic squad last time around that helped him set us up to play some football and probably underachieved with what he had, there's no way I see him setting us up similarly but at least he'll come up with a game plan though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

ozzy jr wrote: »
    The criteria for next manager should be,

No former player
    No Celtic connection
    Must abandon hoof ball football

Now go FAI and get our man :)

They didn't listen to me anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,339 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Whatever about McCarthy being appointed - being appointed so quickly is a concern for me. What process have the FAI gone through to establish their goals, to vet potential candidates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Whatever about McCarthy being appointed - being appointed so quickly is a concern for me. What process have the FAI gone through to establish their goals, to vet potential candidates?

John Delaney just flicking through his phone and calling all his exes to see what they're up to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I'm very happy with Mick McCarthy. He knows our players, he's experience of playing and managing at international level for Ireland, has experience in playing and managing in tournaments/playoffs, actively managing for the last 25 years at a reasonably high level, good with the media and has a track record of giving young players a chance.

Stephen Kenny is slightly unlucky not to get it but I think the time to give it to him was either 12 months ago (giving him the Nations League to bed in) or else after Euro 2020. It would almost be unfair to put him straight into Euro 2020 qualifiers with no friendlies or anything and tell him he has to qualify for the euros the following summer. He will still get his opportunity to manage Ireland one day hopefully.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Knex. wrote: »
    John Delaney just flicking through his phone and calling all his exes to see what they're up to.

Exactly.

sugarman wrote: »
    The advantage of Mick would be his blooding of youth and history of rebuilding the team previously while still keeping us competitive, well organized and hard to beat.

He'd have no qualms throwing in the likes of Kelleher, Connolly, Idah, Dunne, Parrott etc into the deep end either, as he did with Given, Keane, Duff etc.. before. While getting rid of dead wood or phasing out players like Doyle, Keogh, Ward, Walters etc..

Its the safe option, both short term and potentially long term IMO.

It's easy in hindsight to say he blooded youth last time when he had one of Ireland's best group of young players coming through, this current generation who knows right now but I hope he gives them a chance.

I havn't followed a lot of his managerial career but is he known for giving youth a chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Given the amount of public calls for FAI to clarify recent handling of events, the composition of the board etc, along with a petition of I believe over 11k people calling for JD's resignation, I expect he wants someone in there to make the matter disappear before it gains any more momentum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,619 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Berserker wrote: »
    It's going to be Mick. Thoughts?

On his own or with deputy Robbie Keane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

The process is as follows :

1) Find a candidate who meets the criteria set out below.
    2) Order pizza for pizza Friday.

Criteria for new manager :

1) Can the candidate get us to the Euros?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Kenny was who I wanted but he's probably not the safe option for the fai. No hassle with Mick though, always liked him, he had a damn good squad at his disposable before though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

rob316 wrote: »
    Kenny was who I wanted but he's probably not the safe option for the fai. No hassle with Mick though, always liked him, he had a damn good squad at his disposable before though.

Aye. There is a mighty difference in talent.

The 2002 WC squad.

Shay Given Goalkeeper Newcastle United
    Steven Finnan Defender Fulham
    Ian Harte Defender Leeds United
    Kenny Cunningham Defender Wimbledon
    Stephen Staunton Midfielder Aston Villa
    Roy Keane Midfielder Manchester United
    Jason McAteer Midfielder Sunderland
    Matt Holland Midfielder Ipswich Town
    Damien Duff Forward Blackburn Rovers
    Robbie Keane Forward Leeds United
    Kevin Kilbane Midfielder Sunderland
    Mark Kinsella Midfielder Charlton Athletic
    David Connolly Forward Wimbledon
    Gary Breen Defender Coventry City
    Richard Dunne Defender Manchester City
    Dean Kiely Goalkeeper Charlton Athletic
    Niall Quinn Forward Sunderland
    Gary Kelly Defender Leeds United
    Clinton Morrison Forward Crystal Palace
    Andy O'Brien Defender Newcastle United
    Steven Reid Midfielder Milwall
    Lee Carsley Midfielder Everton
    Alan Kelly Goalkeeper Sheffield United

Is there even a player there that wouldn't get into the squad today?

The 2002 WC squad...

1 of the full backs won a Champions League, 2 others were part of the Leeds team that reached the semi finals...and Stephen Carr missed out because of injury...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The 2002 WC squad.

Shay Given Goalkeeper Newcastle United
    Steven Finnan Defender Fulham
    Ian Harte Defender Leeds United
    Kenny Cunningham Defender Wimbledon
    Stephen Staunton Midfielder Aston Villa
    Roy Keane Midfielder Manchester United
    Jason McAteer Midfielder Sunderland
    Matt Holland Midfielder Ipswich Town
    Damien Duff Forward Blackburn Rovers
    Robbie Keane Forward Leeds United
    Kevin Kilbane Midfielder Sunderland
    Mark Kinsella Midfielder Charlton Athletic
    David Connolly Forward Wimbledon
    Gary Breen Defender Coventry City
    Richard Dunne Defender Manchester City
    Dean Kiely Goalkeeper Charlton Athletic
    Niall Quinn Forward Sunderland
    Gary Kelly Defender Leeds United
    Clinton Morrison Forward Crystal Palace
    Andy O'Brien Defender Newcastle United
    Steven Reid Midfielder Milwall
    Lee Carsley Midfielder Everton
    Alan Kelly Goalkeeper Sheffield United

Is there even a player there that wouldn't get into the squad today?

Oh man those were the days. It's even better than I remember

Most/if not all of that bench would be starters for us now. There's been some drop off in talent available to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Appointing Kenny would have taken A) balls and B) ability to look beyond Euro 2020, both factors sorely lacking among the top brass in the FAI.

Mick is a good manager but he's not the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, in the 70's and 80's, 30 years before the Ireland job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I like Mick and it's a decent appointment. I don't know if it's the greatest one they could have done but he's a pretty good motivator of players, something O'Neill has failed miserably at for quite a while now. Ipswich underappreciated him, I hope supporters at least give him a chance and the same leeway O'Neill was constantly afforded. I'd like to see Carsley on board there somewhere, very highly rated as a coach these days. We will at least get a bit of honesty after and around matches whether its a win or defeat, whatever about O'Neill's pros and cons, I couldn't stand the fact he was so generic in response to anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

The first thing the Irish team needs is a highly motivated mindset and lots of physicality all over the pitch. McCarthy will instill that. As for the sytle of play, he will play to whatever the strengths of his payers are. That's all you can ask a manager to do. He did make attempts to be fluent at Ipswich, but was fored to be more pragmatic with a very small budget - like, tiny even for the Championship!

We need to hope the change will have an effect on making Declan Rice deciding to play for us and keep McCarthy fit playing with him
    Matt Doherty has played left back for Wolves many times - lets try him there
    The big problems are up front and that attacking midfield area (If only Jack Byrne could get back on track). We need to introduce Troy Parrot and use him interchangably with Obafemi and in a while, Adam Idah and Aaron Connolly too
    Alan Judge and Conor Hourihane can be tried in the central attacking midfield role - maybe even try Robbie Brady in the centre and use McClean on the wing

David McGoldrick is a striker Mick knows well from Ipswich - expect him to be given chances

He also gave Stephen Gleeson his first club at Wolves and then re-signed him for Ipswich just before the end.

He gave young right-back Barry Cotter his move to England too and gave him his debut just before leaving Ipswich

I also think he will introduce the likes of Troy Parrott, Conor Masterson, Lee O’Connor (we need Liverpool and Man Utd to let them 2 out on loan) and the young centre back at Inter Milan, Ryan Nolan (has already played for Inter Milan senior team in a pre-season friendly) whilest also working with what O'Neill has already introduced

for example....

......Randolph
    Coleman, Duffy, O'Connor/Nolan/Masterson, Doherty
    ......Rice, McCarthy
    Robinson Judge Brady
    ......Maguire/Parrott/Idah

It might be an idea to have Tom Mohan as part of the backroom team

It's going to take time and there will be some bad days over the next couple of years, like it or not
    As long as there is some sort of direction - please give him the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Appointing Kenny would have taken A) balls and B) ability to look beyond Euro 2020, both factors sorely lacking among the top brass in the FAI.

Euro 2020 was clearly a massive factor in all of this. If the euros weren't being held in Dublin there is probably a chance that O'Neill wouldn't have got sacked in the first place. I would have been happy to see Kenny get it either but I think if there was ever a time to make a safe appointment it's now, McCarthy is that safe option.

Hopefully he is just given an 18 month contract and after the euros it would be great to see Kenny given a proper shot at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

looks like its Mick Mccarthy again

deff would not of picked him as i think he had his chance and done a great job and a disaster retrun could tarnish that record but if it just for this campaign than ill accept it and hopefully he gets us to the euros

Id have him and Kenny as a duo with a strong backroom team made up of Irish underage coaches and ex players

Will Mick get Rice and some other guys in limbo to declare for us ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The questions the previous poster asked was
    eriously?

Are you happy with the state of club and underage football in Ireland?

Are you happy with the meager funds that the FAI does have being used to pay for marquee managers? Managers who have no interest in underage or domestic football?

You never answered either?

The international manager is not employed to have an interest in underage or domestic football. He is there to get to tournaments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Appointing Kenny would have been a massive risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Sepp Delaney is merely panicking, trying to get a quick appointment, just to take himself out of lime light, FAI needs to be overhauled from top to bottom and it needs doing now. Football is lagging way behind GAA, hurling and Rugby when it comes to developing top drawer talent ,its been on a downward trajectory for the last 10 to 15 years whereas Sepp Delaney career and earnings have been on an upward trajectory. We are trying to 're arrange deck chairs on a sinking ship. Sepp Delaney and his cronies need yo be forced out asap.

Nunu wrote: »
    What a classic John Delaney appointment McCarthy is. All this bastard cares about is being on his plinth in Lansdowne during Euro 2020. He has zero vision past that and privately I’d say he’s already made his mind up on moving off post tournament to an even cushier UEFA position. So hes gone for what he sees as the only really short term option.

What a classic post on boards.ie this is.

Ignore the fact that most would want to see Ireland play at home in 2020 but make it all about Delaney instead.

This is exactly what I was talking about in the previous posts, blame the FAI for each and every move they make

Must be a right pain in the hole now that you see they are also going to be talking to Kenny.

But not to worry no doubt the place will be full of blame for the FAI if Kenny is selected as manager and fails to deliver

Watch this space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

All the talk of 2020 you'd think we were hosting the whole thing.

Still, can't be unhappy with MM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

A lot of money seems to have gone on Paul Cook, he's ahead of Kenny. Someone must know something somewhere :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

A lot of money seems to have gone on Paul Cook, he's ahead of Kenny. Someone must know something somewhere :)

Equipped himself very well in the UK and the LoI. Got sides promoted. Turned over Man City, a top team by European standards last season. If Kenny is in the running because of his connections to Irish football can't see why PC wouldn't be.
    Fromvert wrote: »
    Most/if not all of that bench would be starters for us now. There's been some drop off in talent available to us.

Who from the current squad would get into that squad/team? Coleman, Duffy and Brady are the only ones I can think of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Equipped himself very well in the UK and the LoI. Got sides promoted. Turned over Man City, a top team by European standards last season. If Kenny is in the running because of his connections to Irish football can't see why PC wouldn't be.

Deserves to be in the mix, interesting to see if they meet with him as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Those manager markets are small.A few quid on a name can make a difference or mostly likely bookies slashing some odds to get a bit of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Appointing Kenny would have been a massive risk.

Really though? How can things actually get worse? In 2018 alone, we have 1 win, 4 goals and an average of 36% possession over 9 games. We're playing terrible football, didn't qualify for the last world cup and just got relegated from the Nations League. Add to that the hostility between O'Neill and the press, and the fallout with some players. Things cannot get worse. I'm not saying Kenny would be savior, but given how we're low we are, it's a good time to give someone new and different a chance. If we get McCarthy, I'll be so underwhelmed.

Who from the current squad would get into that squad/team? Coleman, Duffy and Brady are the only ones I can think of.
    3 of our most important players now but high chance they wouldnt be starting in that 2002 team .

yabadabado wrote: »
    3 of our most important players now but high chance they wouldnt be starting in that 2002 team .

The latter should barely be starting in this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

What a classic post on boards.ie this is.

Ignore the fact that most would want to see Ireland play at home in 2020 but make it all about Delaney instead.

This is exactly what I was talking about in the previous posts, blame the FAI for each and every move they make

Must be a right pain in the hole now that you see they are also going to be talking to Kenny.

But not to worry no doubt the place will be full of blame for the FAI if Kenny is selected as manager and fails to deliver

Watch this space.

You seem good at ignoring people pointing out all Delaney’s flaws but yet you seem oblivious to them all.....

Think most people would agree going back to an old manager be it any country or club team isn’t very progressive.

Some of the names listed I am happy it’s McCarthy but I would like to have seen some others get a chance first.

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Really though? How can things actually get worse? In 2018 alone, we have 1 win, 4 goals and an average of 36% possession over 9 games. We're playing terrible football, didn't qualify for the last world cup and just got relegated from the Nations League. Add to that the hostility between O'Neill and the press, and the fallout with some players. Things cannot get worse. I'm not saying Kenny would be savior, but given how we're low we are, it's a good time to give someone new and different a chance. If we get McCarthy, I'll be so underwhelmed.
    FAI/Delaney wont want to take any risk with this appointment. Euro2020 is the only goal imo and for all Kennys good work he is an unknown quantity at this level.

Of course whoever comes in might not work out but I see the appointment being someone more established.
    Main reason I think they will go for McCarthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

I'd doubt Stephen Kenny is really in the running. The FAI are probably only going to interview him to pass him. Half the players wouldn't even know who he

is and he'd hardly get much respect. Kilbane even said as much on Off the Ball. The English born lads wouldn't have a clue who he is. Who would get the

likes of Declan Rice back, McCarthy or Kenny? Think the answer is fairly obvious. The first game back is also a qualifier of which Kenny has no clue of

handling whereas Mick has been there and done that. Also Kenny's record is no different to Pat Fenlon (although better football) yet nobody even mentions

him so what is so special about Kenny? Obvious choice for me.

Glad Mick is the choice. Half the players wouldn't even know who Kenny is and he'd hardly get much respect. Kilbane even said as much on Off the Ball. The English born lads wouldn't have a clue who he is. Also who would get the likes of Declan Rice back, McCarthy or Kenny? Think the answer is fairly obvious. The first game back is also a qualifier of which Kenny has no clue of handling whereas Mick has been there and done that. Obvious choice for me.

It is indeed obvious - nobody. He's after the green, just not the Irish green.

AGC wrote: »
    You seem good at ignoring people pointing out all Delaney’s flaws but yet you seem oblivious to them all.....

Think most people would agree going back to an old manager be it any country or club team isn’t very progressive.

Some of the names listed I am happy it’s McCarthy but I would like to have seen some others get a chance first.

I'm well aware of Delaneys flaws

I'm just sick of people's trying to have it both ways when it comes to these things.

McCarthy = oh Delaney just wants to get to Euro 2020.

Kenny = Can't afford anyone else cos of JDs salary.

It's lazy analysis and tired at this stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement