Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Neill Gone - Next Rep Ireland Manager?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Back him away. He hasn't a hope of getting the job in reality. The likes of Mick and Sam's credentials are poles apart from someone who has only ever really managed in the League of Ireland. Outside of that he was sacked by Dunfermline in Scotland. Delaney isn't going to go for a risk appointment either. Easy decision.

I agree. Kenny is not going to get the job. He is a good manager but he would be a massive risk for the FAI and John Delaney cannot afford for it to blow up in his face. McCarthy is a safe pair of hands. Personally id like to see Lennon get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Feel sorry for Kenny. People saying it's too soon for him. The reality is he'll probably never be in this position again.

This was his time.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

sjb25 wrote: »
    I don't get the rush here.

When is Ireland's next fixture?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

awec wrote: »

March. Euros draw Sunday week. That's the real reason. Delaney couldn't have an empty manager's seat for a Dublin draw.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    March. Euros draw Sunday week. That's the real reason. Delaney couldn't have an empty manager's seat for a Dublin draw.
    Really there's no need to have that job filled until February time, think the FAI should take their time on this one. You never know who becomes available in the next few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I really like Mick...but I can't help feeling that Delaney wanted an ally here e.g. Brian Kerr was never going to get the call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Dream team is on the way! Terry Conner as his number 2.

Something about bacon slicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Robbie Keane going to be involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Fcukin joke of an organisation. Appointing a man that's hovered mid table in England's second tier for yrs.

• Advertisement

Fcukin joke of an organisation. Appointing a man that's hovered mid table in England's second tier for yrs.

Do you want Pep?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Feel sorry for Kenny. People saying it's too soon for him. The reality is he'll probably never be in this position again.

This was his time.

The Brian Kerr appointment was probably the main reason Kenny was never really in the picture, imo. Going to be a while befthey go to someone with LOI experience as being the highest level they managed at.

I like Mick and wish him well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

An absolute joke of an organisation, the board members should be ashamed of themselves, obviously due diligence was not carried out, the overall structures of the.......fck it they just guaranteed that I will continue my boycott of international matches having supported them for over 30 years, I can honestly say Sepp Delaney has never and will never have his unbelievable salary, and gravey train supported by my money. Just wish real football prople would follow suit, that shower of parasites are ruining football and seriously harming its future.
    SHAME on those board members. I have already received 2 yellow cards this week so can't really vent how I feel about these parasites.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

I’m a fan of Mick’s but this has to be the laziest, least inspiring managarial appointment in a long long time (Hodgson to Liverpool was on a similar level).

Realistically it will pretty hard for us not to qualify for the next euros regardless of the manager but putting Kenny in charge would have immediately given the domestic game a massive boost and really energised the supporter base. Offering him the u21 role was an insult

I’m a fan of Mick’s but this has to be the laziest, least inspiring managarial appointment in a long long time (Hodgson to Liverpool was on a similar levellt

This for me. McCarthy could well have been the best option after approaching a few candidates and seeing what was on the table but it’s all too rushed.

I of course hope he does well and can give Irish football a kick in the hole it needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Classic short term appointment from the FAI. McCarthy should ensure that John Delaney won't be humiliated on the international stage by Ireland not playing in Dublin at the Euros, so that's all grand.

And I bet they'll offer Stephen Kenny the Under 21 job knowing full well he will turn it down...then they can turn around and say 'hey, at least we tried to get him on board!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

People really need to take a step back.

The vitriol about selecting a manager who has years of experience managing at the level most of the Irish players are at and previous experience of managing at international level over selecting a manager who's level is somewhere around League 1/League 2 is hilarious ?

And as for this idea that it was rushed and it should have taken until Feb or so.

Really, you would prefer the appointment a month before the first competitive game rather than giving the guy a chance to get his coaching team setup, plans made, opponents scouted, players scouted etc ?

I’m a fan of Mick’s but this has to be the laziest, least inspiring managarial appointment in a long long time (Hodgson to Liverpool was on a similar level).

Realistically it will pretty hard for us not to qualify for the next euros regardless of the manager but putting Kenny in charge would have immediately given the domestic game a massive boost and really energised the supporter base. Offering him the u21 role was an insult

Ha Ha Ha, the supporter base.

What all 12 of them ?

What about pissing off the majority of Ireland fans by nominating a manager totally out of his depth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Euro 2020 qualification means that the Top Two will qualify from each group. There is no play-off.

Are we a Top Two team?

Maybe Mick will deliver a temporary bounce, but it's a big ask. We're more like a 3rd or 4th place team now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

awec wrote: »

It's the fucking FAI, isn't it? They think if we sign him today, they'll be in for some sort of Black Friday discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

What all 12 of them ?

What about pissing off the majority of Ireland fans by nominating a manager totally out of his depth

O'Neill and Keane were out of their depth especially evident in the last year. No idea what they were doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

sugarman wrote: »
    Theres the Nation's League playoffs that we're almost guaranteed a spot in if we fail to finish top 2 in Euro qualifying.

It's where the 3rd placed playoff spots from the Euro 2016 were reallocated.

In theory we can lose every game in these qualifiers and still qualify.

We finished bottom of our Nations League group. We'd need some serious pass-me-downs from already qualified teams to get a Nations League berth. Or am I mistaken?

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    We finished bottom of our Nations League group. We'd need some serious pass-me-downs from already qualified teams to get a Nations League berth. Or am I mistaken?

Not really. If The top teams qualify automatically the play off spots keep dropping down so we’d be in line.

We could realistically get beaten in every qualifier and then still end up in the playoffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

What all 12 of them ?

Can’t agree at all with this. There’s a group of 11 of us season ticket holders. Only 4 of us ever go LOI matches. Every one of our group would take Kenny over McCarthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

AGC wrote: »
    Not really. If The top teams qualify automatically the play off spots keep dropping down so we’d be in line.

We could realistically get beaten in every qualifier and then still end up in the playoffs.

I think a hell of a lot of people are blissfully unaware of this. It will be actually harder not to qualify for the Euros than the other way round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

putting Kenny in charge would have immediately given the domestic game a massive boost

Out of the potential candidates out there and there didn’t seem to be much choice, how can you accuse this appointment as lazy ? Proven record as an international manager, vast experience as an International and domestic professional... versus a guy with a very good record in a very minor and largely unprofessional league. A guy with nothing close to the level of experience in handling such an appointment, not a fraction of the contacts or relationships forged with British based club managers and players...Kenny was a risk too far imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Couldn't be unhappy with McCarthy (though I'd have preferred Kenny). Don't like how quick it's been though. Could barely have spoken to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I think a hell of a lot of people are blissfully unaware of this. It will be actually harder not to qualify for the Euros than the other way round.

Even if we get a playoff spot. There are only 4 places right so we’ve have to hope there isn’t a couple of teams in it better than us, there are a lot of teams better than us so I’m not anywhere near as confident that we’ll get there

Strumms wrote: »
    Out of the potential candidates out there and there didn’t seem to be much choice, how can you accuse this appointment as lazy ? Proven record as an international manager, vast experience as an International and domestic professional... versus a guy with a very good record in a very minor and largely unprofessional league. A guy with nothing close to the level of experience in handling such an appointment, not a fraction of the contacts or relationships forged with British based club managers and players...Kenny was a risk too far imo.

Because there was a lot more possible candidates but they didn’t bother approaching anyone. A couple of weeks of checking on who would and wouldn’t be interested would have been no harm.

McCarthy could still be the best option after a process but at least give it a little time.

Because there was a lot more possible candidates but they didn’t bother approaching anyone. A couple of weeks of checking on who would and wouldn’t be interested would have been no harm.

McCarthy could still be the best option after a process but at least give it a little time.

Has anyone contemplated that the FAI may have been doing a bit of work on this before Tuesday morning?

• Advertisement

Has anyone contemplated that the FAI may have been doing a bit of work on this before Tuesday morning?

Not in the slightest. That would require foresight and competence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Can't say McCarthy returning as manager excites me, but it is what is it.

A couple of things. He is bringing Terry Connor as his assistant. He is well regarded in the UK, and has been doing work with England U21s (think its part of getting BAME coaches involved with England teams).

Unlike Roy or Tardelli, Connor has a history as a coach with the manager so that can only be a good thing.

As for Robbie, again not sure about that. No qualifications and has played with a few of this team...not a great combo. I hope he can give something to our attacking approach.

So tapping lads up?

Patww79 wrote: »
    Not in the slightest. That would require foresight and competence.

Ok so they are too stupid to do something like that
    So tapping lads up?

Ok so they are doing something illegal if they do do it

Once again the FAI cannot do anything right by the people of boards.ie

And I'm not talking about tapping up here.

I'm talking about making a shortlist
    Finding out who is available, who is not
    Who might be expensive to buy out, who might not.
    Who might be interested who, might not.
    Who has done well with whatever team they are with, who has not.

etc etc

A box ticking exercise.

And at the end of the day hat might point to McCarthy because he ticks a lot of those boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Don't know if anyone has mentioned Terry Venables yet. Just missed out on Sven as well as he went to the Philippines.

Neeson wrote: »
    Don't know if anyone has mentioned Terry Venables yet. Just missed out on Sven as well as he went to the Philippines.

Would be be prised away from running his guest house somewhere is Spain ?

I don't think so.

Ok so they are too stupid to do something like that

Ok so they are doing something illegal if they do do it

Once again the FAI cannot do anything right by the people of boards.ie

And I'm not talking about tapping up here.

I'm talking about making a shortlist
    Finding out who is available, who is not
    Who might be expensive to buy out, who might not.
    Who might be interested who, might not.
    Who has done well with whatever team they are with, who has not.

etc etc

A box ticking exercise.

And at the end of the day hat might point to McCarthy because he ticks a lot of those boxes.

Not at all, as I’ve said McCarthy would not have been my number 1 but not massively disappointed but there is no way they gave it enough time, simple as.

We have had 9 (?) matches this year of pure rubbish with the last one being 4 days ago and our next match is 4 months away - it makes zero sense.

EDIT - also I don’t care how many people on boards are getting on the FAI’s back because they are right. You are the only person here or in the the media who seems to be supporting them so I’ll leave you off. If you’re blind to the state of Irish football so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Mick done the Country proud in the past but that was 16 years ago and with arguably one of the best group of players the Country has ever had, times have moved on in a massive way and we needed to go in a different direction and this is definitely not the way forward.

Kenny might not have been the answer but Imo it was a route that the FAI should've explored, a bit similar to when they gave Kerr the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,925 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mick is a fine choice as manager of the national team his knowledge of the Championship and League 1 is needed now that is where the majority of Irish players playing in England now play.

The issue is the structure of the FAI and everything under the national team from the underage teams and the LOI.

What has Ruud Dokter done his 6 years as the high performance director that has progressed the underage talent around the country.

Why is Delaney's yearly salary more than the LOI winners get and what does that say to the players and managers in the LOI.

The likes of Kenny & Kerr need to be used to bridge that gap between underage and LOI to the international set up from underage up to the senior team.

Not at all, as I’ve said McCarthy would not have been my number 1 but not massively disappointed but there is no way they gave it enough time, simple as.

We have had 9 (?) matches this year of pure rubbish with the last one being 4 days ago and our next match is 4 months away - it makes zero sense.

EDIT - also I don’t care how many people on boards are getting on the FAI’s back because they are right. You are the only person here or in the the media who seems to be supporting them so I’ll leave you off. If you’re blind to the state of Irish football so be it.

I'm not necessarily supporting the FAI, I just find it annoying at this stage that most people find fault in FAI actions no matter what those actions are, without a second thought.

People are going to be very disappointed that when Delaney goes (in his own time or ousted) there will not be some epiphany that will solve all of Ireland soccer problems be they the league, the national team, etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I won't sign this petition myself, but in the interests of democracy, there is a petition to remove John Delaney from the FAI - 17,307 signatures so far!

https://www.change.org/p/football-association-of-ireland-remove-john-delaney-as-head-of-the-fai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Ireland's style of football under Mick McCarthy the first time wasn't too bad!
    Nerdlingr wrote: »
    The best football i saw Ireland play was under McCarthy...what are people going on about hoofball for?
    ollkiller wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks McCarthy's Ireland played hoofball obviously never watched McCarthy's Ireland. Some of our best passing football was under his watch. Whether he is the right man for now is debatable but a long ball merchant he was not.

Finnan, Harte, Duff, Keane, Keane, and the rest might have had something to do with that. All playing or subsequently played at top clubs.

A friend played under his management a few years back, kick it in the corners type football. He'll be an improvement on MON, but not by much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

What all 12 of them ?

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is what you're up against trying to get people to follow/engage with the domestic game.

Sure stick to watching Mayo, Tod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Can see how this appointment makes sense. If it was last year and if MON went when he should have, then Kenny would have been ideal with a year of implementing his way of playing & developing a system that works. All that could have started with the friendlies to try it out and been road tested in the Nations League. Instead we wasted a year. So now Mick is the obvious short term fix.

All the talk about Carsley/Keane/Kenny etc to be U-21 manager too, why is nobody mentioning the obvious choice Brian Kerr. We have a talented group it seems at u-16 to u-19 level right now...who better than Brian Kerr to bring them into the 21's and take it from there.

chicorytip wrote: »
    Black men tend not to be very good coaches.

So you've definitely ruled out prejudice and racism to explain the lack of black people in coaching and management roles?

Could you explain how you ruled out the theories and reports of groups like the Sports People's Think Tank, and just decided that black people are not up to the job?

http://thesptt.com

fullstop wrote: »
    And this, ladies and gentlemen, is what you're up against trying to get people to follow/engage with the domestic game.

Sure stick to watching Mayo, Tod.

For Tod's interest in soccer here, check out his opposition to playing a charity match in PuC and his irritation that Frank Murphy's legacy was to build a stadium that was finally filled by soccer supporters.

Both perfectly legitimate positions, put civilly...but are you ever gonna win him round to the club game here? I doubt it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Stevecw wrote: »
    Can see how this appointment makes sense. If it was last year and if MON went when he should have, then Kenny would have been ideal with a year of implementing his way of playing & developing a system that works. All that could have started with the friendlies to try it out and been road tested in the Nations League. Instead we wasted a year. So now Mick is the obvious short term fix.

All the talk about Carsley/Keane/Kenny etc to be U-21 manager too, why is nobody mentioning the obvious choice Brian Kerr. We have a talented group it seems at u-16 to u-19 level right now...who better than Brian Kerr to bring them into the 21's and take it from there.

Brian Kerr is hated within the FAI .It would take a momental change in direction for him to ever work for them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I'm not necessarily supporting the FAI, I just find it annoying at this stage that most people find fault in FAI actions no matter what those actions are, without a second thought.

People are going to be very disappointed that when Delaney goes (in his own time or ousted) there will not be some epiphany that will solve all of Ireland soccer problems be they the league, the national team, etc etc.

No one is saying there is some magic wand that will solve all the problems in Irish football but you can be sure as **** that the current set up in the FAI aren't going to bring us in the right direction.

Has anyone here said there said that getting rid of JD will solve all the problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Was a fan of McCarthy the first time, even sided with him in the saipan debacle despite me being from Cork and a Utd fan. That was 16 years ago and we now have a fraction of the quality we had then and he only managed to qualify for 1 tournament. There is a reason why he is unemployed, yet somehow he seems to be the only one in the frame to be Ireland manager. Surely for the wages on offer, they could have waited to appoint a proper manager. Not a fan of Kenny either as he has not achieved anything apart from Irish Titles in what has been a horse race the last few years.

• Advertisement

The FAI are displaying the Euro trophy in Dundrum today. That would be a lovely Delaney Out protest.

Advertisement