Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I've just been told my engine is gone... New car?

Options
  • 21-11-2018 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi All,

hoping to get some opinion on this.Due to being unsure whether I will head away to work again I have been driving an 'it'll do me for a while' car the engine went in it this morning.

Short term dilemma: I'm faced with the decision to buy a second hand engine for it (€250 plus probably €300 for labour from a local fella) or trying to pick up another cheap option?

Medium term dilemma: I am thinking of buying a new car (decision made about staying put). I commute to Dublin so will be doing ca. 30,000kms per year and want a diesel with decent engine. Any suggestions RE good options to buy new? I would like a golf or jetta but open to other brands I like the look of some of the Mazdas - I worry some of those brands depreciate a lot?

Any advice appreciated! in the interim wish me luck on the bus :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

What are the details on your current car - make, model, engine, nct etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 elgirl

Suzuki jimny 2003 NCT to April & tax to Jan

and I have been offered a 2003 golf which needs a clutch and battery & tax - NCT to February so I could get it on the road either ... :/

I am well on my way to setting up a scrapyard I think !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

€250 for an engine???

yes from a breakers? Does that seem high or low?!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Who knows, your taking a punt with a second hand engine from a scrap yard. You don't know what condition it has been in until you fit it. If you plan to keep the Jimny for a few more years then a reconditioned engine is a much better option.

How much would you be willing to spend on a new car?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Just get a small basic petrol car - far more reliable. Out of warranty diesels and you are asking for and will get trouble.

Nissan tiida or something like that. Cheap to buy, cheap to run and super reliable.

Edit: I googled them to find if there are known problems or common faults with the Tiida. I couldn't really find anything much jumping out at me. Nothing fancy shmancy, but is a good economical and reliable car for utilitarian A to B driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

Take the battery out of the jimny n stick into the golf. Get a clutch fitted n try flog the jimny on done deal. Even e100 is better than nowt.

enricoh wrote: »
    Take the battery out of the jimny n stick into the golf. Get a clutch fitted n try flog the jimny on done deal. Even e100 is better than nowt.

Wise words ... Will see if the battery is the same. Thanks

The sickener being that I put 4 new tyres on the Jimny last week! :mad:

bazz26 wrote: »
    Who knows, your taking a punt with a second hand engine from a scrap yard. You don't know what condition it has been in until you fit it. If you plan to keep the Jimny for a few more years then a reconditioned engine is a much better option.

How much would you be willing to spend on a new car?
    Re the new car - 25 - 30 and go the HP route?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If your staying put how about going away and buying the new car. Look at what's there in forecourt. Diesel will suit fine at that mileage. If you do a deal and car isn't in stock see if dealer will give a car till it arrives as part of the deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

elgirl wrote: »
    Wise words ... Will see if the battery is the same. Thanks

The sickener being that I put 4 new tyres on the Jimny last week! :mad:

Sell the Jimny here as a project :

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=845

keep someone busy for the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 82,579 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

NCT to February and putting €550 in to a car that is over 15 years old is not a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Id cut my losses now if I were you. If you’re looking at new cars you might get a scrappage deal.

On the other hand, you only need to get more than the €550 you spent on the engine for it to be financially viable, as it’s pretty much worthless with a broken engine.

Also, forget the 03 Golf, you have enough trouble as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

I’d say if the engine is gone, then there is more to follow.

You might be able to get a 2018 demo car, VW etc. maybe look at hybrids as well. You’d be able to get a decent chunk taken off of a high spec car and be able to drive away immediately.

Toyota’s typically keep their value as well. So maybe another option. Ive found Ford does too.

If you’re on 30k per year, then I’d really only look at diesel and hybrids.

Wisely or unwisely the jimny is currently having engine replaced. Say a prayer for me!! :eek:!

RE new I have been looking at golf vs a vitara or something like that - more reasonably priced in diesel but if jimny is back on the road I'm not in a rush - I will do some test drives and see how the financing works out.

I also came across the new jimny not practical for what i need but its very cool!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

If you are considering new , would you go for a Tesla 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Instead of forming out for the engine and labour just buy another Jimny.

You’ll have plenty of spare parts readily available.

If/when you decide to purchase a fresh motor just avail of a scrapage scheme.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    If you are considering new , would you go for a Tesla 3?

Is there a dealer in Ireland - don't like the idea of 220mile range though running cost is probably low?I think a Hybrid is a better bet for rural Ireland? :/ How much would one come in at?

Dealer in sandyford I’m fairly sure. Tolls also reduced for a period on electric vehicles ... the cost to fuel them , is a pittance compared to diesel ...

Instead of forming out for the engine and labour just buy another Jimny.

You’ll have plenty of spare parts readily available.

If/when you decide to purchase a fresh motor just avail of a scrapage scheme.

I see your logic but space is limited in the driveway!

• Advertisement

There is a 310 mile long range version. Don’t know if it’s being sold here or the wait time though

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You will be waiting 2 - 3 years for a Tesla model 3 and I'd doubt they will be selling for under 30k even if they were available here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

elgirl wrote: »
    Medium term dilemma: I am thinking of buying a new car (decision made about staying put). I commute to Dublin so will be doing ca. 30,000kms per year and want a diesel with decent engine. Any suggestions RE good options to buy new? I would like a golf or jetta but open to other brands I like the look of some of the Mazdas - I worry some of those brands depreciate a lot?

If you are worried about depreciation, don't buy new.

Gravelly wrote: »
    If you are worried about depreciation, don't buy new.
    Totally agree , I would only suggest electric with mid to high mileage , where the collosal fuel savings, would somewhat offset the depreciation...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Were you doing the 30,000km per year in the jimny?

Advertisement