Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Many immigrant workers needed if more houses to be built - ESRI

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

There was some moany numpties on here moaning about the standards of house building during the boom when they were thrown up. now we're suggesting using anyone and anything to throw them up again and questionable building methods. Pure lark on here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Moonjet wrote: »
    Source for that?
    If it's true, that's worrying as we don't know how these will fare after long term exposure to Irish weather. I've heard if they aren't carefully sealed from damp the whole primary structure of your house can rot.

Loads of sources for it, just google it. Here's a couple to start you off:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/homeandinteriors/homehelp/building-a-timber-frame-house-versus-the-more-typical-concrete-block-method-413195.html

https://arrow.dit.ie/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://www.google.ie/&httpsredir=1&article=1066&context=beschreccon

No need to worry - the Swedes, Austrians, Germans, French, Canadians, Americans etc. have been building them in similar and worse conditions than ours for over 100 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Source for that?
    If it's true, that's worrying as we don't know how these will fare after long term exposure to Irish weather. I've heard if they aren't carefully sealed from damp the whole primary structure of your house can rot. My house is made of bricks/mortar, and the only structural problems I've ever had were with the components made of timber (soffit/fascias and windows) which all eventually rotted away in the Irish weather and needed replacing. How would you manage that with the frame of the house, apart from knocking and rebuilding the entire house?

Erm Plenty of countries with climates same as ours and with more extremes either end have most of their housing stock in timber.

Your talking nonsense now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I just don't see the point in these, apart from a temporary measure to help ease the housing crisis.
    They won't last in the long term and will need to be replaced.
    Look at the Victorian red bricks built in Dublin 100 years ago, or even the corporation estates built in the 1960s. They are all still standing and being used as perfectly suitable housing units in 2018.

It's looking like in 2050 our population will be close to 7 million, putting an even greater demand on housing than today. Why not build units that will last 100+ years. It's typical Irish short term thinking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefabs_in_the_United_Kingdom

It has been done before.

But last time it was built to a reasonable standard.

We can't even build bricks and mortar to a good standard theses days.
    We can't even enforce standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Moonjet

Gravelly wrote: »
    Loads of sources for it, just google it. Here's a couple to start you off:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/homeandinteriors/homehelp/building-a-timber-frame-house-versus-the-more-typical-concrete-block-method-413195.html

https://arrow.dit.ie/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://www.google.ie/&httpsredir=1&article=1066&context=beschreccon

No need to worry - the Swedes, Austrians, Germans, French, Canadians, Americans etc. have been building them in similar and worse conditions than ours for over 100 years.

They have, and all you have to do is look at the aftermath of a hurricane in any US town. All the houses are completely leveled to the ground. It's simply not as strong or fireproof/windproof as bricks and that's without even getting into woodworm/damp/dry rot issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They have, and all you have to do is look at the aftermath of a hurricane in any US town. All the houses are completely leveled to the ground. It's simply not as strong or fireproof as bricks and that's without even getting into woodworm/damp/dry rot issues.

You conveniently sidestepped all of these

the Swedes, Austrians, Germans, French, Canadians,

Why ?

So you can spout more opinion without facts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Moonjet

listermint wrote: »
    You conveniently sidestepped all of these

the Swedes, Austrians, Germans, French, Canadians,

Why ?

So you can spout more opinion without facts ?

You are the one omitting facts. You claim those countries have been using timber frame housing for 100 years. I want to see proof. What % of their overall housing is timber frame? Is it a mainstream construction method? How far does it date back and what's the status of those units now? Even if true, none of those countries has Ireland's unique climate.

They have, and all you have to do is look at the aftermath of a hurricane in any US town. All the houses are completely leveled to the ground. It's simply not as strong or fireproof/windproof as bricks and that's without even getting into woodworm/damp/dry rot issues.

They've been building timber frame houses in Ireland for over 30 years now. There are tens of thousands of them from Kerry to Donegal. Can you show me a case of a single one that has been:

Levelled by a hurricane
    Eaten by woodworm
    Rotted away through damp or dry rot?

You are the one omitting facts. You claim those countries have been using timber frame housing for 100 years. I want to see proof. What % of their overall housing is timber frame? Is it a mainstream construction method? How far does it date back and what's the status of those units now? Even if true, none of those countries has Ireland's unique climate.

Ah, here.

Maybe wood might be better?

https://www.thejournal.ie/pyrite-mica-mayo-donegal-3277538-Mar2017/

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »

I'm sure the woodworm will get it any day now :rolleyes:

What's the story with those? A 'fancy' design, or just a shipping container?

Never seen them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Lol at all the timber nay saying. Sure look at cob or straw ffs. Beautiful, natural materials that are perfect to build with yet massively restricted and looked down upon here for no reason other than stubbornness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

Gravelly wrote: »
    The company above deliver the house to site already assembled. It is just bolted down onto pre-installed bolts, and the services connected. Apparently it takes 2-3 hours on average.

Wow! That's awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That is for a reason. The levelling I mean. Far safer than brick and stone when a hurricane hits.

Dubldom is another modular housing company I'm impressed with. Plenty of info on them online with owner reports, construction vids etc. A few factories in Russia, Czech and opening in France and US soon apparently. Plenty of folks living in the arse end of Russia are happy out in them. I contacted them a while ago about spec and they were quick to reply with lots of info, all looked workable to me. Of course, regs here would be a problem but a workable problem maybe.

There are lots of options out there now but of course, Ireland is stuck a few decades in the past when it comes to anything innovative, affordable and outside of the box.

This is mine

https://www.roadmaster.ie/demountable-dwelling/

Came ready made on a truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Graces7 wrote: »
    This is mine

https://www.roadmaster.ie/demountable-dwelling/

Came ready made on a truck.

Perfect for plenty of people once the construction and insulation is up to scratch. Did you buy yourself or is a council home?

Perfect for plenty of people once the construction and insulation is up to scratch. Did you buy yourself or is a council home?

council. I came to the end of being able to find a rental and the offer of this saved me from literally living in my car.

They brought it over ( offshore island) for a very old man whose 150 year old cottage was beyond safe so he could see his days out here. He died 6 years ago and it has lain empty since.

Perfect for my needs except I need one more room for my crafting.

It came intact and whole, and the insulation is incredible. Any sun on the windows and no need of heating .. the downside was in The Scorch as it works one way only

Clean and totally damp free and light and airy. Even closed up for years the vents kept it fresh.

As you say, perfect for many in need. I have seen very few around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭koheim

Come to the Nordic countries, go to Norway. ALL houses are timber framed and also ALL houses are timber cladded. That is in a climate that is FAR more damp, wet and with more extreme weather than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

DubCount wrote: »
    Its catch 22. We need more builders, bricklayers, electricians, plumbers etc. to build the housing stock that we require. The only place to get them is to attract in immigrants, as we dont have enough skilled labour and cant train enough skilled labour. Unfortunately, lack of housing supply makes this an expensive place to live, so we cant attract skilled immigrant workers we need to make property more affordable.

Answers on a postcard.....

The workers could build their first houses for THEMSELVES to live in.

So wed only need to have temporary solutions for them.

For example.....

We pay Roberto his rent cost he goes to work and builds houses. One of them is his to rent or buy at reasonable rates. He moves in when it's ready.

Pierre moves into Robertos initial rental - and then builds his place to live in.

They can then build more homes - in fact they will be building other homes all the time alongside their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

koheim wrote: »
    Come to the Nordic countries, go to Norway. ALL houses are timber framed and also ALL houses are timber cladded. That is in a climate that is FAR more damp, wet and with more extreme weather than Ireland.

It used to be mainly all individual houses, but not the apartment blocks. Interestingly in this century, they started to use in apartment block. And today they bild 18 storey timber skyscrape.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,395 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

There are 33,500 people on the Live Register whose previous occupation was "Craft and related".

It's odd that there are 33,500 people who at some stage were identified as working in this sector, and now they are on the Live Register.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anotherfinemess

lalababa wrote: »
    Design a "house" that conforms to the miriad of building reg.s that can be factory built, easily transported and erected on site, at minimal cost and minimal lesser skiled labour.
    Couldn't see a problem in new estates where every house looks the same anyway.
    Might be Abit stigmatized for the great washed however in one off housing as jhonny and Mary soap would want a proper block and mortor house just like the shower up the road.

No need to design a new house, they've been doing this for decades in New Zealand

Advertisement