If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony STR-DN1080

Options
  • 21-11-2018 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭

Hello.

I have an old Yamaha Av receiver RXV630 RDS which I'm thinking of replacing with the Sony STR-DN1080.
    I have a 5-1 set of Mission 771e 8ohm speakers which I would like to hang on to.
    Will they work with the Sony STR-DN1080 ?

I also have a set of Monitor Audio Bronze B2 & B1 speakers if they would be better ?

Thanks.
    Tony.
    South West Ireland.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

amdaley28 wrote: »
    Hello.

I have an old Yamaha Av receiver RXV630 RDS which I'm thinking of replacing with the Sony STR-DN1080.
    I have a 5-1 set of Mission 771e 8ohm speakers which I would like to hang on to.

I also have a set of Monitor Audio Bronze B2 & B1 speakers if they would be better ?

Thanks.
    Tony.
    South West Ireland.
    Hi Amdaley28.

I have to say I really like the 1080 and have been toying with purchasing one myself :)

Both sets of speaker you have should run on the 1080 with no issues.
    I run monitor Audio myself at home and have demoed the 1080 with various ranges of Monitor Audio speaker and they have no problems at all.

STRDN1080 currently priced at £429
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-202643-sony-strdn1080-black-atmos-av-receiver.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Hello.

Thanks.
    Tony.
    South West Ireland.
    Hi Amdaley28.

I have to say I really like the 1080 and have been toying with purchasing one myself :)

Both sets of speaker you have should run on the 1080 with no issues.
    I run monitor Audio myself at home and have demoed the 1080 with various ranges of Monitor Audio speaker and they have no problems at all.

STRDN1080 currently priced at £429
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-202643-sony-strdn1080-black-atmos-av-receiver.aspx
    Thanks for the information.
    I have looked at your site & I saw this but the link doesn't lead to anything ?
    [font=Montserrat, sans-serif]https://www.richersounds.ie/p-13496-sony-strdn1080-mail-order-return-clearance-black-atmos-a-v-receiver.aspx[/font]
    Could you also recommend a sub woofer to go with the Sony receiver ?

Thanks.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi amdaley,

thanks for the post and apologies for the delay getting back to you.

That link has now been taken down as we have cleared all our Clearance open box STRDN1080's however they are available Brand New Boxed HERE

In terms of Sub - if you have the 777 then you dont need detail - you need body! If you are looking for a deal that will work well I'd recommend the Monitor Audio MRW10 which is now reduced to just £199 / €219:

£: https://www.richersounds.ie/p-12485-monitor-audio-mrw10-black-subwoofer.aspx

€:https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-12485-monitor-audio-mrw10-black-subwoofer.aspx?swapstore=1

the MRW10 will be a good balance to your 777's ability to produce copious amounts of detail from the Sony and add decent bass weight with speed.

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

(Please note our responses may not be as quick as we would like in the busy Black Friday / Christmas period – apologies in advance)

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi amdaley,

thanks for the post and apologies for the delay getting back to you.

That link has now been taken down as we have cleared all our Clearance open box STRDN1080's however they are available Brand New Boxed HERE

In terms of Sub - if you have the 777 then you dont need detail - you need body! If you are looking for a deal that will work well I'd recommend the Monitor Audio MRW10 which is now reduced to just £199 / €219:

£: https://www.richersounds.ie/p-12485-monitor-audio-mrw10-black-subwoofer.aspx

€:https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-12485-monitor-audio-mrw10-black-subwoofer.aspx?swapstore=1

the MRW10 will be a good balance to your 777's ability to produce copious amounts of detail from the Sony and add decent bass weight with speed.

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

(Please note our responses may not be as quick as we would like in the busy Black Friday / Christmas period – apologies in advance)
    Hi John.

Thank you for the quick reply.
    Is there any deal going for the STRDN1080 & the MRW10 together?

Do you think the Mission 771e or the Monitor Bronze B2 speakers would be better with the Sony STRDN1080 ?

Thank you.
    Tony.

Hi Tony,

I'm afraid that at the moment the STRDN1080 at £429 / €489 and the MRW10 are already on the bone price-wise ( the STRDN1080 is super value in Euro BTW - probably works out cheaper..)

..however as always if you do see them cheaper we will beat any cheaper price subject to our normal T's and C's

The 777's and the B2 ( if you are talking about the original B2, not the current Bronze 2) are very different speakers - the 771 were very detailed but the bass was not that great whilst the B2 had a super bottom end and to be fair quite good high frequency as well - if you are referring to the current Bronze 2 series, they are really superb, What Hifi Award winners ( again) and they are better in every respect than the mission 771 - but of course to be fair to the 771e they are probably getting on for 20 years old at this stage and in their day they were excellent speakers.

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Hi Tony,

I'm afraid that at the moment the STRDN1080 at £429 / €489 and the MRW10 are already on the bone price-wise ( the STRDN1080 is super value in Euro BTW - probably works out cheaper..)

..however as always if you do see them cheaper we will beat any cheaper price subject to our normal T's and C's

The 777's and the B2 ( if you are talking about the original B2, not the current Bronze 2) are very different speakers - the 771 were very detailed but the bass was not that great whilst the B2 had a super bottom end and to be fair quite good high frequency as well - if you are referring to the current Bronze 2 series, they are really superb, What Hifi Award winners ( again) and they are better in every respect than the mission 771 - but of course to be fair to the 771e they are probably getting on for 20 years old at this stage and in their day they were excellent speakers.

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Thanks John.
    The Bronze speakers I have are the originals & as you say both them & the Missions are going on for 20 years old at this stage.
    However they are what I have & Oap finances dictate that they will have to do for the moment.

Regards.
    Tony.

No problem Tony - at least you bought quality!

Thanks again,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Thanks again,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi John.

Bearing in mind financial restraints can I ask what you think of the Denon AVRX2400H ?
    I know its a bit older than the Sony STRDN1080 & may not be up to the Sony but there's quite a price difference which would go along way to financing the Monitor MRW10 sunwoofer.
    Whats the best you can do on the Denon AVRX2400H with the MRW10 delivered to the South West ?
    As always your advice & patience is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Tony.

Thanks again,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi John.

Bearing in mind financial restraints can I ask what you think of the Denon AVRX2400H ?
    I know its a bit older than the Sony STRDN1080 & may not be up to the Sony but there's quite a price difference which would go along way to financing the Monitor MRW10 sunwoofer.
    Whats the best you can do on the Denon AVRX2400H with the MRW10 delivered to the South West ?

Thanks.

Tony.
    Afternoon Amdaley28.

The 2400 may now be finished up as there seems to be no stock left. Not even in our main warehouse.
    Its also been moved to an instore collection for any stores that might have them left.

I do have one display 2400 left in stock and I could bundle this with a MRW10 for £514 delivered.

If you wanted to go for the new AVRX2500 with the MRW10 I can do a deal at £600 delivered.

Thanks again,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi John.

Thanks.

Tony.
    Afternoon Amdaley28.

The 2400 may now be finished up as there seems to be no stock left. Not even in our main warehouse.
    Its also been moved to an instore collection for any stores that might have them left.

I do have one display 2400 left in stock and I could bundle this with a MRW10 for £514 delivered.

If you wanted to go for the new AVRX2500 with the MRW10 I can do a deal at £600 delivered.
    Thanks for that Kenny.
    My partner & I were discussing it over the weekend & she thinks that maybe we should replace our TV as well.
    I am doing research so I will come back to this again once we have made a decision.

If we decide to change the television it will be a 55".
    So far we have five on our list 
    Panasonic FZ950 / 952, Samsung QE55Q9FNATXXU, Sony Bravia KD55AF8BU, LG OLED55E7N & LG C8.

The TV is normally used for watching live TV, online content & movies stored on a NAS or through PLex.
    Any thoughts on our list so far ?

Tony.

• Advertisement

Thanks again,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi John.

Thanks.

Tony.
    Afternoon Amdaley28.

Thanks for that Kenny.
    My partner & I were discussing it over the weekend & she thinks that maybe we should replace our TV as well.
    I am doing research so I will come back to this again once we have made a decision.

Panasonic FZ950 / 952, Samsung QE55Q9FNATXXU, Sony Bravia KD55AF8BU, LG OLED55E7N & LG C8.

The TV is normally used for watching live TV, online content & movies stored on a NAS or through PLex.

Tony.
    Hi Tony.

OLED is the way to go.

For me it would be the Sony 55AF8 first followed by the Pana and LG tied in 2nd. (Although the 55E7 mentioned above is discounted and replaced by the 55E8).
    You would be more than happy with any of the TV you have listed.

I purchase an OLED about a year ago and they are one heck of a television.

Thanks again,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi John.

Thanks.

Tony.
    Afternoon Amdaley28.

Thanks for that Kenny.

Tony.
    Hi Tony.

OLED is the way to go.

For me it would be the Sony 55AF8 first followed by the Pana and LG tied in 2nd. (Although the 55E7 mentioned above is discounted and replaced by the 55E8).

Hi Kenny.

Thanks for the advice.

Could you give me a bundle price delivered for the 
    Denon AVRX2500 plus the Monitor MRW10 with the Sony AF8. Panasonic FZ950 & the LG OLED55E7 & E8 in that order please.

We are going to a store that has all the tv's on display on Wednesday & will make a decision after that. We want to examine all the operating systems before deciding.
    We are both very familiar with the Sony Android system but have not experienced the Panasonic or Lg systems.

Thank you.
    Tony.

Thanks again,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi John.

Thanks.

Tony.
    Afternoon Amdaley28.

Thanks for that Kenny.

Tony.
    Hi Tony.

OLED is the way to go.

Hi Kenny.

Thanks for the advice.

Denon AVRX2500 plus the Monitor MRW10 with the Sony AF8. Panasonic FZ950 & the LG OLED55E7 & E8 in that order please.

We are going to a store that has all the tv's on display on Wednesday & will make a decision after that. We want to examine all the operating systems before deciding.
    We are both very familiar with the Sony Android system but have not experienced the Panasonic or Lg systems.

Thank you.
    Tony.
    Hi Tony.

The 2500 with the MRW10 would still be the £600.

The 55AF8 currently priced at £1799.00 - Already Black Friday pricing on this one.
    The 55E7 is discontinued.
    THE 55E8PLA also priced at £1799.00 - This is our Black Friday pricing.
    Panasonic 55FZ950 priced at £1799 but there is currently no stock available on this one.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks again,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi John.

Thanks.

Tony.
    Afternoon Amdaley28.

Thanks for that Kenny.

Tony.
    Hi Tony.

OLED is the way to go.

Hi Kenny.

Thanks for the advice.

Thank you.
    Tony.
    Hi Tony.

The 55AF8 currently priced at £1799.00 - Already Black Friday pricing on this one.
    Panasonic 55FZ950 priced at £1799 but there is currently no stock available on this one.

Thank you Kenny.
    I'll get back to you after we're viewed the Tv's.

Thank you.
    Tony.

Thanks again,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi John.

Thanks.

Tony.
    Afternoon Amdaley28.

Thanks for that Kenny.

Tony.
    Hi Tony.

OLED is the way to go.

Hi Kenny.

Thanks for the advice.

Thank you.
    Tony.
    Hi Tony.

Thank you Kenny.

Thank you.
    Tony.
    No problem at all Tony.

Thanks again,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi John.

Thanks.

Tony.
    Afternoon Amdaley28.

Thanks for that Kenny.

Tony.
    Hi Tony.

OLED is the way to go.

Hi Kenny.

Thanks for the advice.

Thank you.
    Tony.
    Hi Tony.

Thank you Kenny.

Thank you.
    Tony.
    Hi Kenny.

We went to see the tv's & were very impressed with the Sony.
    My partner was also looking for a Dyson & we got a very good deal on both together so we're sorted for the tv.

I need to get the Denon AVRX2500 & the Monitor Audio MRW10 sorted with you for £600.
    I will also need a cable to connect the 2500 with the subwoofer.
    I have created an account on the website & I have sent you a PM with my contact details.

Regards.
    Tony.

Thanks again,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi John.

Thanks.

Tony.
    Afternoon Amdaley28.

Thanks for that Kenny.

Tony.
    Hi Tony.

OLED is the way to go.

Hi Kenny.

Thanks for the advice.

Thank you.
    Tony.
    Hi Tony.

Thank you Kenny.

Thank you.
    Tony.
    Hi Kenny.

My partner was also looking for a Dyson & we got a very good deal on both together so we're sorted for the tv.

I need to get the Denon AVRX2500 & the Monitor Audio MRW10 sorted with you for £600.
    I have created an account on the website & I have sent you a PM with my contact details.

Regards.
    Tony.
    Hey Tony.

No worries on the TV. Hope you got a good deal and a 5 or 6 year warranty on it ;)

Thanks for the PM and I will be in touch ASAP.

Thanks again,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi John.

Thanks.

Tony.
    Afternoon Amdaley28.

Thanks for that Kenny.

Tony.
    Hi Tony.

OLED is the way to go.

Hi Kenny.

Thanks for the advice.

Thank you.
    Tony.
    Hi Tony.

Thank you Kenny.

Thank you.
    Tony.
    Hi Kenny.

Regards.
    Tony.
    Hey Tony.

No worries on the TV. Hope you got a good deal and a 5 or 6 year warranty on it ;)

Thanks for the PM and I will be in touch ASAP.
    Thanks Kenny.
    Items arrived safely.
    Tony.

Thanks Tony,

Hope you enjoy the kit and thanks for the Biz - it's really appreciated..:)

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.