Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York on my own in January

Options
  • 21-11-2018 4:51pm

How's it going?
    I was hoping to get some advice. I'm planning on going to New York for 3 nights in January on my own.

The reason being, I have a decent amount of avios points accumulated, and I can get return flights from Shannon to JFK in January for <€200
    My wife can't take holidays in January, and isn't too interested in going anyway, and none of my friends are very interested. I have no problem going on my own anyway.

One of the reasons that I'm thinking of going in January, is due to how cheap the hotels are, and the fact I haven't had a day off from work since July. There also seems to be lots of clothes sales on in January

I booked a 3 star in Midtown for 3 nights for €260, but this is free to cancel.

If I go through with booking flights, I really only want to do a bit of shopping, go out for some American sized dinners, and go to some nice pubs for some beers in the evenings. I've done a lot of the main sight seeing things before (Statue of Liberty; Empire State Building; Ground Zero; High Mile; Time Square; Famine Monument).

Does anyone have any advice? Am I mad to go in January, despite the cost?
    Where would locals go for a pint? I'm looking for pubs where I can go in, order a pint, sit down, and maybe chat to some locals casually.
    I might try and see a show, or sports event when I'm there too. Anything else people might advise for an individual tourist?
    Any Man vs Food style eating ideas?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I've been twice in January. First year it was +16c and the same week two years later was - 7c. But unlike here when it's really cold, life goes on as normal in NYC. I'd visit again in January no problem.

If you're looking at Broadway shows, check out www.broadwaybox.com for pre bookable discounted tickets that will save you having to queue at tkts in Times Square

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Call for a pint and a bit of food to this place. Good place to sit at the counter and chat to people.
    http://triplecrownnyc.com/

Owned by a Clare man. Martin O'Shea. It's near MSG, you could get a guided tour of the place, it's not too bad.
    https://www.msg.com/madison-square-garden

Caranica wrote: »
    I've been twice in January. First year it was +16c and the same week two years later was - 7c. But unlike here when it's really cold, life goes on as normal in NYC. I'd visit again in January no problem.

If you're looking at Broadway shows, check out www.broadwaybox.com for pre bookable discounted tickets that will save you having to queue at tkts in Times Square

Excellent, thanks.
    Not too worried about the weather. If it's cold, I'll wrap up well. Dont plan to be outside for too long :)

finbarrk wrote: »
    Call for a pint and a bit of food to this place. Good place to sit at the counter and chat to people.
    http://triplecrownnyc.com/

Exactly what I'm looking for. Some nice pints, and relaxing.
    From what tripadvisor says, I basically need to go to Irish pubs if I just want to sit down and chat to some normal locals

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Go see the Knicks in MSG if they're playing

They're fairly sh!te at the moment so tickets should be easy to get

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Go see the Knicks in MSG if they're playing

They're fairly sh!te at the moment so tickets should be easy to get

Yeah, just checked that out. They're playing the Pacers one of the evenings. Will definitely look into getting a ticket.

Good to see no one thinks its a silly idea to go in January anyway. Might book this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Yeah, just checked that out. They're playing the Pacers one of the evenings. Will definitely look into getting a ticket.

Good to see no one thinks its a silly idea to go in January anyway. Might book this weekend
    Bring id with you or you won't be served alcohol, even if you look 70

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Bring id with you or you won't be served alcohol, even if you look 70

Ha, the East coast is so different from the West Coast. Was in California for a week during the summer, and didnt get asked for ID once, including a Dodgers game, but I know on the East Coast they ask everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

There is so many decent pubs downtown to even start
    Mentioning .. the last few times I’ve been to NYC I havent even ventured anywhere near the usual spots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

I went in January before. It was really cold, but it's manageable.

Wear layers rather than 1 big bulky jacket.

Have good (leather?) gloves, and get a pair of magic gloves for underneath. I'm female so I wore tights under my jeans, and socks. Unless you're very hardy, I'd advise getting similar.

New York I think is a great place to be a solo tourist. Just know where you're going. The one day I was by myself I ended up walking 30 minutes in the wrong direction in the lashing rain!

Carmines is lovely. I went to the one on Broadway which is quite far up - I don't know if they're all the same, but that one had a bar area in the front. We were able to get a glass of wine and just a plate of pasta.

Benihana's is lovely as well. You'd probably be put at a table with other people because it's a Teppanyaki restaurant - don't know if that would bother you. But it's a bit of entertainment as well as lovely food.

Bubba Gumps in Times Square has really nice food but is a massive tourist trap. It's fun though and is nice for lunch.

I'm sure you're aware that Broadway shows are really expensive. Here's a list of what's on in January https://www.newyorktheatreguide.com/whats-on/broadway/calendar/jan . You can change the dates to be specific to your time, and also change to select Off-Broadway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Are you flying economy or business OP?

SNN-JFK should only be setting you back €100 return + 26000 Avios if traveling on EI, but booked by telephone via BAEC.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Are you flying economy or business OP?

SNN-JFK should only be setting you back €100 return + 26000 Avios if traveling on EI, but booked by telephone via BAEC.

Not sure what this is, but the economy tickets are paid for now, and cost my €200

Not going to lose any sleep over what I could have paid.
    Now I just need to plan an itinerary :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

If you're into gigs the Bowery Ballroom is a great venue and they hold back a decent number of tickets to sell on the door on the night of the gig in order to upset Touts. When I was in NY on my own went to a gig there - Frightened Rabbit - and it was great. Even if show is Sold Out they'll still have tickets on the door.

If you're into gigs the Bowery Ballroom is a great venue and they hold back a decent number of tickets to sell on the door on the night of the gig in order to upset Touts. When I was in NY on my own went to a gig there - Frightened Rabbit - and it was great. Even if show is Sold Out they'll still have tickets on the door.

Great, thanks. Had a quick look, and doesn't seem to be anything on while I'm there. I'm going to keep a close on potential small concerts.
    Would love to see Book Of Morman as well.

Ideally, I'm hoping to come across things by accident.

If I was to plan to visit some neighbourhood for an afternoon coffee, and just people watch, where would be best?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Not sure what this is, but the economy tickets are paid for now, and cost my €200

You book your reward seats on Aer Lingus by calling British Airways Executive Club (rather than booking via Avios.com or Aer Lingus).

Fully refundable for cancellation, up to 24hrs in advance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Done my honeymoon in january. Was good. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

If I was to plan to visit some neighbourhood for an afternoon coffee, and just people watch, where would be best?

People watching usually needs to be done outside and weather in january will likely jinx you on that front. If (by some miracle) it’s bearable, I’d head for the Greenwich Village for people watching.

If it’s cold, you could consider grabbing a drink in Grand Central Station at the Campbell. Pricey but a fascinating place to people watch with a great backdrop.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

Great, thanks. Had a quick look, and doesn't seem to be anything on while I'm there. I'm going to keep a close on potential small concerts.
    Would love to see Book Of Morman as well.

Ideally, I'm hoping to come across things by accident.

Lower East Side neighbourhood always does it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

NYC institution, massive pastrami sandwiches. delicious and a must visit:
    https://www.katzsdelicatessen.com/our-story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

This place is good for food, drinks and chats.
    Good location too.

http://www.jackdemseys.com/phone/index.html

Loads of great ideas here. Thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I also found a great to see the city by just walking from MSG all the way down to the WTC.
    You get to see a lot of things on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Mods as this topic invariably comes up regularly is there any way this could be a sticky and added to as the topic comes up?

Would make a lot more sense than coming up all the time as a fresh thread.

I booked the Moxy Hotel just near Times Square.
    Seems they have a fancy roof garden. Should be good for photos anyway.
    Booked a ticket to the Book Of Mormon as well. Very excited about that.
    Other than that, my plans include going to the American museum of Natural History. Walking to Wall Street from Times Square, and visiting a few happy hour spots as well as some places with massive breakfasts

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

SHOVELLER wrote:
    Mods as this topic invariably comes up regularly is there any way this could be a sticky and added to as the topic comes up?

Mod

Will take a look at it for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

MOD

Hi Shoveller,

I have discussed with my co-mod and we wont be stickying this thread.

While there will be common bases for threads, each will be unique in its own way, so each poster is free to create their own thread without posting in someone elses thread or taking the advice that would have suited another poster. Anyone can come in and take that advice if they wish, but we want to encourage people to post their unique query or request for advice.

In addition, we want to keep the number of stickies to a min, and allow the top threads to stay at the top of the thread list by themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Asking only workmans wages
    I went looking for a job
    But I got no offers

had a great time in New York otherwise but stay away from seventh avenue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Pter wrote: »
    MOD

Hi Shoveller,

I have discussed with my co-mod and we wont be stickying this thread.

While there will be common bases for threads, each will be unique in its own way, so each poster is free to create their own thread without posting in someone elses thread or taking the advice that would have suited another poster. Anyone can come in and take that advice if they wish, but we want to encourage people to post their unique query or request for advice.

In addition, we want to keep the number of stickies to a min, and allow the top threads to stay at the top of the thread list by themselves!

Appreciate the answer but disagree. New York is the most popular city to visit and comes up here very frequently. And to be fair the majority of new threads are asking the same questions re where to go, sites to visit etc.

Advertisement