Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York on my own in January

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

No problem Shoveller. Suggest if you wish to discuss further we take to PM to leave the thread for advice for the OP. Im happy to agree to disagree but understand if you want to get your point across to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Download the yelp app and plug in “Dive Bars”. Having been to NYC about 20 times I always find some great places and interesting people

(While not in NYC, using the same tactic in another city I met an true life anarchist. Crazy stories all which he could back up)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

whitey1 wrote: »
    Download the yelp app ... (While not in NYC, using the same tactic in another city I met an true life anarchist. Crazy stories all which he could back up)
    SoCal yelp sometimes dated. Old info. Yelped temp employment agency. Called. Phone disconnected.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Fathom wrote: »
    SoCal yelp sometimes dated. Old info. Yelped temp employment agency. Called. Phone disconnected.

NYC is pretty accurate. As long as the reviews are current, the establishment is still open

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

whitey1 wrote: »
    NYC is pretty accurate. As long as the reviews are current, the establishment is still open
    Good to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

I stayed in one of the Pod hotels in midtown, there was a bar near there called The Black Sheep, had some cracking nights, lock ins in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Free tours by foot is a great company. They do tours that are free but by foot and you tip what you think it’s worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭markc91

Looking for somewhere to go for the Superbowl in NYC next weekend if anyones been over for one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Pter wrote: »
    No problem Shoveller. Suggest if you wish to discuss further we take to PM to leave the thread for advice for the OP. Im happy to agree to disagree but understand if you want to get your point across to me!

I agree with Shoveller and have suggested an All Things NYC in the past. I live in the area and like to help but I used to post the same tips over and over again to the point I don't bother anymore. Just a simple sticky thread with a list of where to stay, how to get around, restaurants/bars/attractions would suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Restaurant Recs would be great. Heading at the end of the year - have been a few times so have a couple of restaurants that I like but going with sisters and kids (adults) this time. Kids first time so would like to be prepared with places to eat at. Have Harleys Smokeshack up in Harlem - love the place and Da Nico in Little Italy. So will be gathering other spots in the meantime.

• Advertisement

I suppose since I started this thread, I should give some feedback on my trip.

Flights:
    Went with AerLingus from Shannon. If I never have to fly from Dublin airport again, I'll be over the moon. So quick and easy to get through. Flight was run by ASL for AerLingus. Staff were top notch. In flight entertainment was so-so.

Accomodation:
    Moxy NYC (Near Times Square)
    Great location, and very clean, modern hotel. I was only about a 2 minute walk from Penn Station for which I was very grateful
    Room was small, despite them telling me I had been given a free upgrade. On a side note, I've heard that a number of times when visiting the States recently, and if true, I'd hate to see a regular room.
    Anyway, room was perfect for a single traveler, and would probably be ok for a couple

Activities:
    First evening, I just went to Macys and bought a jumper
    Went to the Triple Crown Ale House for a few drinks. Not much craic in there. I sat at the bar, and watched some sports. Plenty of people around me, drinking/eating on their own, but no one interacting, incl. the staff
    Left and went to John Sullivans then. Much more to my liking. Sat at the bar. Chatted to the barman. Chatted to other people drinking there. Much more welcoming. Both bars were charging $8 a beer

Day 2:
    Went to Andrews Coffee shop for breakfast - Proper dinner type place. Very reasonable, and tasty
    Did more shopping
    Walked to 5th Avenue, and then strolled north to Central Park. Took my time, just walking through the park, and left at the American Museum of Natural History. Museum was excellent. Really enjoyed walking around in there.
    Went to see Book Of Mormon that evening in the Eugene O'Neill theater. I had booked tickets a few months previous for about $70. Fantastic show, and would go again

Day 3:
    Got the subway to the bottom of Manhatten
    Walked through Times Square
    Walked through China Town
    Went to the Tenament Museum - Really enjoyable
    Stopped in McSorely's Ale House for a drink - definitely worth visiting. Probably would have been slightly better with another person, as you are forced to sit with other people, so while very interactive, you're almost certain to be sitting with another group
    That evening, met a friend in Lillies Victorian Establishment - Nice place with good food

Day 4: Went home
    Dont buy drink in JFK. $11 for a beer
    Or sweets. I was bringing some back for work. Cost me a fortune

Advertisement