Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wine from Spain to a Virtual Address ?

• 21-11-2018 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I have been looking at buying my Xmas booze direct from Spain but the websites don't seem to deliver to Ireland. There are some great deals to be had with 50% off delivery charges to UK for Black Friday, so I wondered if anyone had any experiences of ordering cases of wine through any of the virtual addresses, please ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

You have a few issues there

The T&C's on the virtual addresses do not allow to send liquids, specially they do not not allow alcohol.

If it goes missing or broken they won't cover you.

Not sure about the UK but in Ireland legally you can't get alcohol posted unless you have the proper paper work for it and pay duties, vat, etc, Revenue website should have more info. If it comes in but gets stopped by customs I think they destroy it, they don't even give you the option to pay for getting it.

EDIT:
    Quick google gives info for Importing alcohol to UK or Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Diagonalley

Thank you for the info. I think this Is a non starter but was nice daydreaming for a while that I might be able to get some cheap fizz for Xmas. They sell it in Lidl in Spain for €1.99 and you’d be lucky to find it for €8 here, what a rip off, 4 times the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lots of virtual addresses also tend to refuse to handle glass, as the chances of breakage are too high, and could cause injury to people handling it.

If you can get a winery to ship boxed/bagged wine in a way that doesn't make it look like alcohol, you could be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Diagonalley

Now there’s some food for thought ..... thanks Seamus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭andrewfaulk

If you can get a winery to ship boxed/bagged wine in a way that doesn't make it look like alcohol, you could be lucky.[/quote]

Wouldn’t recommend doing this.. could be seen by customs as an attempt to avoid excise..

• Advertisement
Advertisement