Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to know if land zoned as residential can be built on

Options
  • 21-11-2018 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

There is a field behind my Grandmothers house which is zoned as residential. The only access is the same access her house and the joining house use. The field can be accessed without having to pass in front of the houses. These houses are in a village.
    How can I figure out if this field can be built on? I don't want to go down the planning permission route yet. It will be for sale soon and I'd be thinking down the road for building if at all. The house is in the south East of Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Is it zoned as residential on the town development plan?

If so - that's the local authority telling you it can be built on subject to an appropriate design receiving planning permission and all the relevant criteria with regards services, etc. being met.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Jesper wrote: »
    There is a field behind my Grandmothers house which is zoned as residential. The only access is the same access her house and the joining house use. The field can be accessed without having to pass in front of the houses. These houses are in a village.
    How can I figure out if this field can be built on? I don't want to go down the planning permission route yet. It will be for sale soon and I'd be thinking down the road for building if at all. The house is in the south East of Ireland.

Is it a single house or a housing estate you are thinking of?
    Explain more of the access please

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

mickdw wrote: »
    Is it a single house or a housing estate you are thinking of?
    Explain more of the access please

The driveway is off a main road in a village. Next to a school. Upon entering the driveway their is a garden to the left then the road sweeps 90 degrees and there are 2 adjoining bungalows behind the garden and driveway. The field is at the back of these houses (walled off).
    If you don't follow the road there is an entrance to a field (straight ahead) and that field is bounderied by the school and the back of the bungalows and some agricultural land. Probably 1.5 acres. I would be thinking of the house as a 'self build' or separately (might be to close to home :)) a small estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Jesper wrote: »
    The driveway is off a main road in a village. Next to a school. Upon entering the driveway their is a garden to the left then the road sweeps 90 degrees and there are 2 adjoining bungalows behind the garden and driveway. The field is at the back of these houses (walled off).
    If you don't follow the road there is an entrance to a field (straight ahead) and that field is bounderied by the school and the back of the bungalows and some agricultural land. Probably 1.5 acres. I would be thinking of the house as a 'self build' or separately (might be to close to home :)) a small estate.

From what I call understand from that, there is likely a right of way in place for the various users to access that drive / road but that should be checked.
    I figure for a one off house, that access may be suitable providing it achieves visibility distances etc but I don't see a housing estate being a runner.
    That Said, if there was value in a housing development, could a better access be bought or would the field have more value if bought with some adjoining lands that would give better access and real development potential.

Advertisement