Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Delaney at the FAI Thread - (Mod Notes in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Imagine this story coming out in any other civilized country in Europe. Now imagine the guy involved getting to remain within the organisation just in another capacity.

We're such a shambles.

Umm have you been living under a rock?

There was a thing about FIFA recently, was kinda big. Showed that most FAs were corrupt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Umm have you been living under a rock?

There was a thing about FIFA recently, was kinda big. Showed that most FAs were corrupt.

I didn't say FIFA, did I? I'd expect this kind of thing from Blatter's former pals on the other side of the globe.

I would not expect it to be tolerated for one second in the FA, the SFA, the IFA, the FAW, the DFB etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Imagine this story coming out in any other civilized country in Europe. Now imagine the guy involved getting to remain within the organisation just in another capacity.

We're such a shambles.
    what _is_ the story?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

If what has happened in the last week and whatever comes out in the coming weeks doesn't result in a complete clear out of the FAI board I will officially give up and go back to acting like the national team doesn't exist, because nothing will ever take them down if they survive this.

We all know Delaney is a gangster, but the rest of the board are clearly complicit. If Delaney goes, they all have to go as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Hopefully the government latch on.

It turns out everything was a pack of lies .

He simply can't stay on and his 9 lives are gone.

That so called report initiating the changes at top is a load of bollix.

• Advertisement

so who did delaney recently piss off so that they'd leak on him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

so who did delaney recently piss off so that they'd leak on him?

That's a pretty long list.

D14Rugby wrote: »
    That's a pretty long list.
    more then one person leaked documents on him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

more then one person leaked documents on him?

I don't know but the amount of people who he's pissed off that would be willing to leak on him is quite long.
    Leak has a few meanings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭sonic85

Lads just thinking here as I drink more of this wonderful German water in bottles......

JD appointed to a new position within the FAI.....

- Would this job not have to be advertised publically???
    - Will he be paid for the position and if so how much??
    - Will he continue to donate his UEFA earnings to the FAI??

An finally...to the FAI who are not rolling in money it seems....they do afterall need loans from their former CEO to get over the rounds.....how can they afford or justify the need for a new position and the expense it will bring with it. What will the new CEO be paid???

Yeah I'd have questions similar to this. Will he still take home his 360k? Will the new CEO be given the same? And if so how the fcuk can the FAI afford it?

People need to wake up - like a lot of other areas in Irish life we're being treated like morons and taken for a ride. It has to stop now enough is enough. Hopefully this is the end of the lot of them

• Advertisement

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Aside from the "interim CEO" Rea Walsh there are some quality candidates immediately linked as Delaney's successor

Bertie Ahern
    Denis O'Brien
    David Drumm
    Sean Fitzpatrick
    Michael Fingleton
    Willie McAteer
    Michael Lowry
    Angela Kerins
    Ray Burke

It's all I could think of as I read about the Delaney switcheroo. We're some country for lack of accountability at the top. Politicians and top business people - they get relocation, glowing references and golden parachutes. The rest of us get termination of employment and real consequences.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

It's all I could think of as I read about the Delaney switcheroo. We're some country for lack of accountability at the top. Politicians and top business people - they get relocation, glowing references and golden parachutes. The rest of us get termination of employment and real consequences.

I think it's more of a symptom of the detachment from reality at the FAI that they thought they could do this to make their problems go away. If the facts are as being touted there's a long list of heavy hitting agencies that will fillet him-the Revenue, ODCE, the Courts Service, his own professional body (I believe he's an accountant) etc. None of these people give a sh1t how many cans he bought people or tickets he sorted out some time in Macedonia. I expect him to be gone early Monday afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Only the FAI could do this

I couldnt believe it to see that he'd get a 'new' role. The whole thing stinks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

D14Rugby wrote: »
    I don't know but the amount of people who he's pissed off that would be willing to leak on him is quite long.
    Leak has a few meanings.

He also has a lot of cover. Any dissent has been 'removed' by Delaney long ago.

You would have to force a mass clear out to get anywhere.

Id say he will be gone by this evening.
    Monday evening will be impressive.

Shocking neck.

Ultimately they get some sort of funding , grant , tax break from State.

Leo will be all over it particularly that he was made a fool of with previous comments on 100 k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Probably only removed from the board so he doesn't have to show in front of the committee in the dail next week. No wonder they were so keen to move it forward.

The management review was clearly done as a backup plan.

Shameful that Delaney and co have changed the rules of the fai so the retirement age was increased to keep his mates on the board. Dictators do that so they can keep running for election.

sabat wrote: »
    I think it's more of a symptom of the detachment from reality at the FAI that they thought they could do this to make their problems go away. If the facts are as being touted there's a long list of heavy hitting agencies that will fillet him-the Revenue, ODCE, the Courts Service, his own professional body (I believe he's an accountant) etc. None of these people give a sh1t how many cans he bought people or tickets he sorted out some time in Macedonia. I expect him to be gone early Monday afternoon.

Yeah, a poster above referred to blood in the water.

You can get away with most things in Irish public life with denials. Or as a last resort, when caught red handed, an apology. But once someone gets mired in litigation, denials, then retreating, and the balance tips the other way, they become inconvenient and the knives come out. The charities scandal was a real example. Would have thought some politician who wants to make a few headlines will start firing serious shots about funding. He is now officially a bad news story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Would Niall Quinn being in charge be favoured by Irish fans?

100 % genuine guy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Can anyone explain in a short paragraph the €100k?
    Is it a ruse?
    Surely there should be traceability on the transactions, or is there a suggestion it didn’t really take place in the way portrayed.

100 % genuine guy

Oh possibly very nice.

Except last I heard, he was getting Irish businessmen to shovel money into some English club. As in fortunes.

Heard he has a new found interest in the club game here...now his English club had hit the buffers. Talk is cheap though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭howiya

Oh possibly very nice.

Except last I heard, he was getting Irish businessmen to shovel money into some English club. As in fortunes.

Heard he has a new found interest in the club game here...now his English club had hit the buffers. Talk is cheap though.

Talk is particularly cheap when you're investing other people's money. Has he said how much of his own money he will be investing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

quinn is a decent skin, his a business man too - this is what such men do, seek investments. i do not think it would impact on him being the FAI ceo. Also seen on twitter, people saying Sadlier, Cunningham ex LOI players to be on the board etc

quinn is a decent skin, his a business man too - this is what such men do, seek investments. i do not think it would impact on him being the FAI ceo. Also seen on twitter, people saying Sadlier, Cunningham ex LOI players to be on the board etc

I just think someone who has encouraged people to sink tens of millions, along with their effort and energy, into a club in England isn't the best person to be asking anyone, Government, sponsors, supporters, to invest in football here. The obvious thing anyone would point out is...why should we, you didn't..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I don't know what is worse about this. The woman praising Delaney because he gave a few bob to a club in her constituency or the fact he is wearing a Canada goose jacket in f*cking Lucan. A 50 year old spending €1.5k on a trendy jacket made for temperatures we don't even get in Ireland. Cringe.

https://twitter.com/vickicasserly/status/1109740847145340929?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

We're such a shambles.

Not to get sidetracked from this topic on JD but this isn't just unique to the FAI in Ireland, there have been many instances in this country where individuals have been proven to be corrupt but remain within the "organisation" e.g. Michael Lowry still being a member of the Dail even though all the revelations that came from the Moriarty tribunal. I could go on and on........ :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Few other things coming out now too. Great to see pressure not going away.

Disgusting what this man is getting away with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Oat23 wrote: »
    I don't know what is worse about this. The woman praising Delaney because he gave a few bob to a club in her constituency or the fact he is wearing a Canada goose jacket in f*cking Lucan. A 50 year old spending €1.5k on a trendy jacket made for temperatures we don't even get in Ireland. Cringe.

https://twitter.com/vickicasserly/status/1109740847145340929?s=19

Is there any proper analysis or reports out there about how much the FAI have put into soccer at a local level (like the above) during Delaney's tenure in comparison to other FAI leaderships ?

How much has been invested at the very lowest level ?
    That's the kind of thing that drives support for an individual within an organization and from local politicians as seen in the above tweet.

Not sure you could call Quinn a successful business man ?

Is there any proper analysis or reports out there about how much the FAI have put into soccer at a local level (like the above) during Delaney's tenure in comparison to other FAI leaderships ?

How much has been invested at the very lowest level ?
    That's the kind of thing that drives support for an individual within an organization and from local politicians as seen in the above tweet.

I'd imagine a report like that might look favourable.

Soccer has had a remarkable boom in his time. (Despite him)

Even international games have gone from dire empty stadiums to global TV events .

The general economy has improved in.ireland . TV rights, . Commercial deals.

It would be impossible not to improve investment in soccer, considering it was kids changing on the side of uncut parks/fields for 20 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Delaney is on the run. It’ll come down to how keen the govt are at getting at him or not

I'd imagine a report like that might look favourable.

Soccer has had a remarkable boom in his time. (Despite him)

Even international games have gone from dire empty stadiums to global TV events .

The general economy has improved in.ireland . TV rights, . Commercial deals.

It would be impossible not to improve investment in soccer, considering it was kids changing on the side of uncut parks/fields for 20 years

And this is exactly what drives support for him.

If I'm some club officer and my club gets help with a new pitch development from the FAI, and if it's a well run process then I'll be supportive of the FAI and it's officers.

I don't care that the LOI is only getting x in prize money, I just care that my club were able to improve their facilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Sitting here and thinking to myself....around 2012 the FAI were cutting salaries of normal staff. Then JD was refused a paycut by the board because he was doing such a wonderful job......

Now 2-3 questions remain...

1. Were the FAI board paying his rent at this time??
    2. Was the paycut offset against perks...rent, car, private travel......
    3. Was his marriage on the rocks at the time and was this potentially the start of divorce precautions.....stashing the cash to reduce the settement to the ex wife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

Sitting here and thinking to myself....around 2012 the FAI were cutting salaries of normal staff. Then JD was refused a paycut by the board because he was doing such a wonderful job......

Now 2-3 questions remain...

1. Were the FAI board paying his rent at this time??
    2. Was the paycut offset against perks...rent, car, private travel......
    3. Was his marriage on the rocks at the time and was this potentially the start of divorce precautions.....stashing the cash to reduce the settement to the ex wife.

He took a pay cut , poor thing , 10%, so his €400k salary us now only €360k, oh and plus expenses.

Love to know who the whistle blower is, may be never find out though, hail Cesar, even he was stabbed in the back:)

I'd find it hard to believe that could be a reason, given that of all people his ex should have an idea of what he was getting and in any event, whether she did or didn't, could very easily seek discovery of accounts. Money has to be very well buried to avoid coming to light in any half decent run family law case - as in completely under the radar and in offshore accounts, not a high profile exec in a very public role switching it over and back with another organization here. Depending on the year of the case he may even have had to complete a case progression questionnaire and disclose details of arrangements, loans, trusts etc.

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    Love to know who the whistle blower is, may be never find out though, hail Cesar, even he was stabbed in the back:)

Must be someone who doesnt like him....:D:D:D

Will be interesting to see if he appears infront of the committee on the 10 April or will he send the new interm CEO, a young lady who happens to also be a fully trained solicitor. She only started witht he FAI in the last year or so so she will have no answers and will be able to fob them off with...I wasnt present at that meeting, before my time or I am not informed of such practices...only new to the group..........

If they dont insist on JD, FAI Treasurer and the Head of Security appearing they wont get any answers. Need to seperate them, question them and then put the puzzel together.

Will be interesting to see if he appears infront of the committee on the 10 April or will he send the new interm CEO, a young lady who happens to also be a fully trained solicitor. She only started witht he FAI in the last year or so so she will have no answers and will be able to fob them off with...I wasnt present at that meeting, before my time or I am not informed of such practices...only new to the group..........

If they dont insist on JD, FAI Treasurer and the Head of Security appearing they wont get any answers. Need to seperate them, question them and then put the puzzel together.

FAI confirmed today that John Sepp Delaney will appear before the committee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1109783759774191617

Will be interesting to see if he appears infront of the committee

Already confirmed today that Delaney will still lead the delagation

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0324/1038261-john-delaney-fai/

the new interm CEO, a young lady who happens to also be a fully trained solicitor. She only started witht he FAI in the last year or so

How dare the FAI bring in an outsider

Coming out now FAI paid his rent of ,3200 per month for almost a decade, FFS, sports irl should cut all grants and seek repayments of some grants until he gone briskly from FAI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,562 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

the new interm CEO, a young lady who happens to also be a fully trained solicitor.

Ah lovely ,the perfect profession to carry on Johns good work.

Already confirmed today that Delaney will still lead the delagation

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0324/1038261-john-delaney-fai/

How dare the FAI bring in an outsider

To point one....I wouldnt be suprised if he is ill that day. Or if he has to leave the country for important business.

Point two....No problem on them taking in an external employee (assume the lady is doing a good job and am sure she is very competent in what she does), just seems like the perfect profile to speak to the comittee. She will be very well trained on public speaking and dealing with such situations.

RTE Radio 1.....Leo just on saying there are answers to be had....more later in the programm

Sunday Times journalist on rte 1 radio soon, get the popcorn out lads, FAI on the run too, just announced a substantial pay cut for Sepp Delaney, have man flu, but today's news just might put a smile back on my mush today :)

I can see him going and running rings around the politicians.

It won't save him. But he's very good at this stuff, stonewalling, spinning, ducking...he should have far too much for the average TD. Would be surprised if he has some sudden meltdown in front of a few publicans and undertakers. His departure won't be that dramatic or soon.

I can see him going and running rings around the politicians.

It won't save him. But he's very good at this stuff, stonewalling, spinning, ducking...he should have far too much for the average TD. Would be surprised if he has some sudden meltdown in front of a few publicans and undertakers. His departure won't be that dramatic or soon.

Nah, he's cooked, when his own lot turn on him, they will be thinking of them selves now.

Hopefully the whistle blower handed over a ton of damaging files, makes sense now why Delaney went to High Court on bank holiday Monday, too great expense to try and shut it down. Journo is hopefully drip feeding the info and worse yo come :) God willing , good riddance to that cancer on Irish football.

sugarman wrote: »
    On now.

They were paying his rent for TWO houses!

My understanding was that it was at different times. The house in Malahide was cheaper than the one in Wicklow, which is where he currently lives!!!

secman wrote: »
    Nah, he's cooked, when his own lot turn on him, they will be thinking of them selves now.

Oh can't see him digging his way out of this at all.

Just can't see much in the line of fireworks before the TDs. It'll be the media and whistleblowers that get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Quandary

Oh can't see him digging his way out of this at all.

Just can't see much in the line of fireworks before the TDs. It'll be the media and whistleblowers that get him.

Yep, 100%

The hearing will be a points scoring pantomime for the politicians involved, nothing more imo.

Delaney will need to be rooted out of the FAI like the blood sucking tick he allegedly is.

Fergus O´Dowd just said on the radio that it wouldnt be a witch hunt however answers were needed and that members of the group are keen to have questions answered. He also made it clear that they will be speaking to Sport Ireland beforehand to see if they fell money has been mismanaged. It may not be what a lot of people want, myself included, however it is a start and may ensure the FAI do something as they know they are in the spotlight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement