Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Delaney at the FAI Thread - (Mod Notes in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

alta stare wrote: »
    I seen you got a yellow card, why did you get that. I dont see anything wrong with your post???

I had to really really edit it and hide my real views of that man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

secman wrote: »

Oh right. Shame that we cant share our views on the leech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

CHealy wrote: »
    Those YBIG lads wouldnt have a clue, leave them to asking The Star to sponsor their flags again, in my experience of Ireland away trips they are that group who think they run the show but in reality no one gives a ****e about them. Posers.

And how bad does it make you feel. They do be the bad people, those boys, they do be.

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Did it rhyme with mucking runt?

dan1895 wrote: »
    Did it rhyme with mucking runt?

stephen-hunt.jpg?w=659&h=370

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hard to believe we're almost in the 2020s and Delaney still has a stranglehold on the game.

Goes to show all the backslapping about 'progressive Ireland' in recent years is way too premature. Future generations will marvel how guys like John and co. were able to get away with years of mismanagement, and that the public at large, journalists et al effectively shrugged their shoulders and let him get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

John Aldridge on The Debate on Sky also wants change above the manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Delaney will be gone to UEFA in the near year or two

So who replaces him?
    or is it just Delaney out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

micks wrote: »
    Delaney will be gone to UEFA in the near year or two

So who replaces him?
    or is it just Delaney out?

The wages are exceptional

They will get a top manager no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I personally will never go to a national team match until Delaney is gone and there’s a clear out in the fai. I fully realise this will probably mean I never go in my lifetime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

On one of the away trips to a game a well informed journalist (but rather disliked by Delaney himself) was saying that he was preparing for a tilt to run in a general election. The general conversation was on how seriously out of touch he was on his popularity. He is surrounded by yes people and does not seem to cop how unpopular he is with the average football fan or how the general public resents his level of pay when his organisation and the country was struggling. When he is doing his grassroots 'work' they talk him up knowing that to do anything else could cull grants and he believes their praise is genuine. If he believes the AGM propoganda publications too its hardly a surprise the he is listening to the hype written by people that know that his massaged ego scores dividends.
    The suppression of reporting on his conduct eg threatening a major British newspaper with legal action if they published anything on his late night singing sessions, while laughed off by them is typical of how the people around him operate. He was on a long haul flight iirc when that legal representation was made, he knew damn all about it at that point and yet FAI lawyers were already all over it by the time he was contacted. He is insulated by his inner circle and via his PR people's advice that he doesnt do anything with the media that isnt completely choreographed.
    If he was a smarter individual and hadnt gotten hammered in public in Poland or filmed singing rebel songs there really would be little more than deniable anecdotal stories about how he manipulated himself in to the CEO job for example. He could even spin how his salary was justifiable. Considering his daft impromptu drunken speeches in Poznan, or crocodile tears on radio on how is partner is upset at social media comments, his PR people were doing a reasonable job. I think he got a small dose of reality with that cringeworthy self homage documentary when he realised that if you crave and court publicity there will always be a backlash from someone, justified or not. He wanted the high profile but cried when everyone wasnt nice.
    His rapid departure from Rio, his leaving the VP position on the Olympic Council summer 2016 after being on the committee sonce '05 and his disappearance off the radar at that time and that the press essentially asked nothing was some seriously good damage limitation by whomever his PR guru is.
    As a man who (allegedly) stabbed in the back he has set his organisation up to prevent the same fate right to the extent of Abbotstown all openplan offices, no corridors to quietly scheme as happened Merrion Square. As CFO sanctioning his new CEO Fran Rooney's large contract on the basis of his significant experience and profile in business organisation 03/04 and then low and behold 2004 JD is CEO himself so who was he awarding the top level salary to? In an organisation that was financially struggling after previous fiascos like Eircom Park?? He was seriously well schooled in how to embed himself in an organisation and to protect himself. So him leaving the FAI is years away but it will be his ego that will ultimately see him leave the sweet job he has. Somone will likely have a word, nicely, to knock the idea of running in an election if that hasnt happened already (it could leave him open to having to appear in front of PAC where there would be no place to hide!?). He moves to UEFA or senior football clubs take lead in trying to limit the number of terms of office any executive officer at the FAI can hold.

This excerpt from an old RTE report says plenty and at this point we had no vantage club, no John the Baptist, no drunken youtube videos, no lost shoes, no million € managers, no 33rd team, no 'problem child' comments, no public tears, no lock in sing songs, no €100mil for the Aviva and a deal to hand back full ownership to another organisation.......etc etc

The ISC's chief executive, John Treacy, has demanded that the FAI use open competition to fill four new executive positions, as recommended in the Genesis report - published in the wake of the Republic of Ireland's 2002 World Cup campaign.

Rooney had favoured the internal and external advertising for the new posts, including that of director of finance. However, FAI treasurer John Delaney, Rooney's former ally, favours the promotion of Peter Buckley, currently an accountant with the association, to this post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I personally will never go to a national team match until Delaney is gone and there’s a clear out in the fai. I fully realise this will probably mean I never go in my lifetime

Well done
    You are not alone. Have been “On Strike” since 2005.
    If Lansdowne rd is empty it’s the only thing that will actually effect change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

There are societal reasons for this. Ireland has not produced one truly world class player in the last forty years. Our "achievements" since 1988 are by teams the majority of whose members were "Anglos" -with an Irish grandparent or two - who were not good enough to be selected by England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

chicorytip wrote: »
    There are societal reasons for this. Ireland has not produced one truly world class player in the last forty years. Our "achievements" since 1988 are by teams the majority of whose members were "Anglos" -with an Irish grandparent or two - who were not good enough to be selected by England.

How old is roy keane ? How old is robbie keane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

kona wrote: »
    How old is roy keane ? How old is robbie keane?

I'd add Irwin, McGrath and Given who, in their prime weren't far off World Class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The wages are exceptional

They will get a top manager no problem.

Are they though with DOBs money gone now?

I think the Ireland starting team that drew 1-1 with Germany in 2002 only had one granny rule English born player. (Holland)
    And although Kilbane was born in England, the guy is as Irish as they come having two Irish parents.

Also Roy Keane would have got in any team in Europe, many would say, in late 90s, early 2000's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just think of it as holding up a banner in the away end and having the stewards descend on you...

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

40 years??

Bonner/Given, Liam Brady, Whelan, McGrath, Irwin, Keane, Duff, Robbie Keane's stats are that of a world class striker. Arguably David O'Leary. 40 years just about includes Giles. Most of those players would have been in other international squads if not first team players and played at the highest level in European competitions which could be argued is higher than international standard.

A team is the sum of its parts though and we had some very effective players too like Stapleton, Quinn and Moran. I wouldnt be so quick to dismiss the Irishness of granny rule players like Townsend, Houghton, Galvin, Hughton, Aldridge, Kilbane. Of those Aldridge, Hughton, Townsend could well have been capped by England bar their tendency to stick to their old guard like Linekar, Dixon et al. Hughton was a better full back than Paul Parker imo. Carlton Palmer v Aldridge? Batty v Townsend? England had a few odd selections themselves.

I agree with your point in general though. The reliance on England and Scotland to develop our young players has undoubtedly meant that talent was missed and and lost to the game through disillusionment when players were cut loose. If Lionel Messi had been Irish or English he would have been consigned to the not tall enough or physical enough and there are more like him who wouldnt have been considered by coaches in the British game. We had our own style of play that was closer to continental sides than British.

The team that played France off the park in '82 and were robbed of a world cup slot and teams before and after played a lovely brand of football. We lacked a rootless streak and thats where Charlton made a difference where we started to bully sides and bombard them with direct football. I would truly love to have seen the crop of players that we had available circa 1994 play under a more adventerous manager. At that point things like proper nutrition was done by other setups but our lads were being fed fish and chips before games.

The rushed appointment indicates that Johnno wants to slink into the undergrowth as quickly as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Don't know if this has been posted yet but TD Catherine Murphy wants the FAI to explain themselves.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/3425598/john-delaney-fai-oireachtas-committee/
    Deputy Catherine Murphy, a member of the Oireachtas Committee on Transport, Tourism and Sport, is to request that Delaney and the other FAI chiefs come into Leinster House.

She told the Irish Sun: “Of all the major sporting bodies, the FAI is the most secretive.

“There is a lack of representation on the board of people who have actually played football at a high level. There will be a demand for transparency in relation to this.

“You can’t take the public as a disinterested party. The Irish supporters have been very loyal and they are being let down by the lack of development at underage level. The fans have a right to know.”

A lot of people coming out and speaking badly of the FAI the last few days, petition approaching 17,000 signatures, definitely must be the most scrutiny he has ever faced in the job.

Nesta99 wrote: »
    If Lionel Messi had been Irish or English he would have been consigned to the not tall enough or physical enough and there are more like him who wouldnt have been considered by coaches in the British game.

Barcelona didn't think he was tall enough either, they paid for his HGH treatment.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Good interview with Quinn

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/vincent-hogan-niall-quinn-shines-a-light-into-system-that-is-clearly-broken-37557892.html

Really seems a common consensus across recent former players that it is time for change and also nice to hear it is football here and having a consolidated approach is the way forward.

Don't know if this has been posted yet but TD Catherine Murphy wants the FAI to explain themselves.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/3425598/john-delaney-fai-oireachtas-committee/

A lot of people coming out and speaking badly of the FAI the last few days, petition approaching 17,000 signatures, definitely must be the most scrutiny he has ever faced in the job.

If the media climb aboard then its a start. The more questions asked in the public domain the better. Put pressure on them.

AGC wrote: »
    Good interview with Quinn

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/vincent-hogan-niall-quinn-shines-a-light-into-system-that-is-clearly-broken-37557892.html

Really seems a common consensus across recent former players that it is time for change and also nice to hear it is football here and having a consolidated approach is the way forward.

Quinn would make a good shot of being head man in the FAI. He talks alot of sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

That is not the truth. A lot of them had Irish parents and England regretted not having players like Aldridge, Lawrenson who would definitely have gotten into English team if they didn't already play for Ireland.
    Duff wrote: »
    I'd add Irwin, McGrath and Given who, in their prime weren't far off World Class.

McGrath was world class and much lauded world class players like Maldini and Baresi admitted it.
    40 years??

Bonner/Given, Liam Brady, Whelan, McGrath, Irwin, Keane, Duff, Robbie Keane's stats are that of a world class striker. Arguably David O'Leary. 40 years just about includes Giles. Most of those players would have been in other international squads if not first team players and played at the highest level in European competitions which could be argued is higher than international standard.

A team is the sum of its parts though and we had some very effective players too like Stapleton, Quinn and Moran.

Agree.
    I wouldnt be so quick to dismiss the Irishness of granny rule players like Townsend, Houghton, Galvin, Hughton, Aldridge, Kilbane. themselves.

A lot of them had Irish parents not grandparents or great grandparents, etc as a lot often joke.

Ehh Kevin Kilbane's parents are Irish, just listen to him talk about what team he wants to see win the All Ireland and why. ;)
    Chris Hughton's mother is from Limerick.
    Ray Houghton's father is from Donegal.
    Terry Phelan's mother was from Sligo.
    Chris Morris's mother was Irish.
    And they are only the ones i can think of offhand.
    The team that played France off the park in '82 and were robbed of a world cup slot and teams before and after played a lovely brand of football. We lacked a rootless streak and thats where Charlton made a difference where we started to bully sides and bombard them with direct football. I would truly love to have seen the crop of players that we had available circa 1994 play under a more adventerous manager. At that point things like proper nutrition was done by other setups but our lads were being fed fish and chips before games.

I think best team was circa 1987 before Lawro and Brady had to go.

The team that beat Scotland were.
    Bonner,
    McGrath,
    McCarthy,
    Moran,
    Galvin,
    Whelan
    Lawrenson
    Houghton
    Brady
    Stapleton
    Aldridge

How many feckin league titles had they between them ?

Then you had Beglin, Hughton, O'Brien, Langan, O'Callaghan (when not fighting the war), Sheedy, Anderson, Quinn about as well.

The likes of Mickie Walsh, Tony Grealish and Mike Robinson had just retired from the setup.

Around that time was the best ever team without doubt.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I would love to know how much he is paying his missus. I'm pretty sure she is a paid up employee of the FAI. She goes to all of John Delaney excursions out of the country, and that's not just ones we see (away games, UEFA draws etc). If Delaney is meeting with another FA he's bringing her with him, as I have witnessed myself. She is paid a salary, for a role that nobody knows what she actually does and a role that was created for her.

What does she actually do?
    How much is she paid?
    How much did her expenses come to in the last couple of years?

I would love to know how much he is paying his missus. I'm pretty sure she is a paid up employee of the FAI. She goes to all of John Delaney excursions out of the country, and that's not just ones we see (away games, UEFA draws etc). If Delaney is meeting with another FA he's bringing her with him, as I have witnessed myself. She is paid a salary, for a role that nobody knows what she actually does and a role that was created for her.

What does she actually do?
    How much is she paid?
    How much did her expenses come to in the last couple of years?

34308331_10216935408880328_6233667180672581632_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=fd514ee6bb009106b237bd9bc590045d&oe=5C76D933

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Oh dear god. Wtf?

dan1895 wrote: »
    Oh dear god. Wtf?

I am in a p*ssed off mood so I am unleashing it on others!

Sorry.......Not Sorry ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Delaney reminds me of the fella who was never popular trying his best to be popular now. The pints in Poland, the stuff with his missus, the smug and ill judged admission about the FIFA payment and now this.

He clearly knows little about football. The Stan nonsense was always a disaster and I don’t say that with hindsight, it was obvious at the time. This appointment(s) is not far off that. It’s clearly designed to appease as many people as possible but there are so many potential ways that this could blow up that I’m sure it’s as doomed to failure.

I defended Delaney quite a bit in his early years and even beyond. Thought he deserved a chance and time to do the job. While he’s done some good things, on the whole he’s been poor and it’s time for him to **** off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Delaney reminds me of a mix if a sewer rat and a jockeys bollox. He would sell his own mother if he could spin spin something with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

jmayo wrote: »

I think best team was circa 1987 before Lawro and Brady had to go.

The team that beat Scotland were.
    Bonner,
    McGrath,
    McCarthy,
    Moran,
    Galvin,
    Whelan
    Lawrenson
    Houghton
    Brady
    Stapleton
    Aldridge

That was a great side. And Jack Charlton left Dave O'Leary out 'cos of an argument about not turning up at a friendly tournament prior to that. O'Leary should have always played ahead of Mick McCarthy.

That was a 4-4-2 with Paul McGrath at rb IIRC. Also Ronnie Whelan was he at lb? Lawrenson played in a midfield role that Jack put McGrath in in later years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

There is one thing Sepp Delaney is passionate about, and I mean really really passionate about.................................... is John Delaney.... everything else is a distance second , his wife and twin kids aren't even a distant second, his girlfriend is !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Have said it before but if you want to protest Delaney and the FAI without damaging Irish football then the solution is a supporters trust with a volunteer board where all money raised goes into infrastructure projects at grassroots level.

Of course that involves organization and actually contributioning money so people prefer hashtags and talking about boycotts that will never and probably shouldn’t happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Probably should have been clearer, a trust will mean the grassroots will not have to be indebted to the FAI and Delaney for all their grants. It will allow them a different money source and therefore weaken the FAI and make them feel a little heat.

All these petitions and hashtags are just noise that the FAI can ignore. Boycotts could seriously damage Irish football and won’t ever happen anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

"If supporters want to voice their opinions, I am not going to prevent them, okay."
    They always lie.

He has fined clubs for songs "voicing opinion" about him in the past.

Fúcking leech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Those might have been tough questions,but the answers weren't up to much.

He brushed them off like he was a politician. Were no follow up questions asked,or are they not even allowed?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

They always lie.

He has fined clubs for songs "voicing opinion" about him in the past.

Fúcking leech.

They always cheat
    They always lie
    **** Delaney
    And the FAI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I can vaguely remember thinking things would be different this time after the Bernard O'Byrne fiasco and the Genesis report on how not to **** things up again. Yet here were are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

what would be needed if for someone with a kidney problem to get into the aviva then night before the next match, and piss a big 'DELANEY OUT' on the pitch, and their piss is so toxic that it kills the grass showing up on all coverage around the world.
    or hack the advertising signs opposite the camera displaying the same message. as Donald Trump would say.. maybe the russians could do it?!!

Hearing this morning that JD is now facing potential problems with SK former employers. Word has it that the FAI are about to offer 25,000€ to make the problem go away. Hopefully Peak6 laugh at it, they dont need the cash and publically expose the contempt that the FAI showed towards the club and its owners. JD knew SK was contracted, still opened talks with him and then only informed the club. Surely its first class tapping by the body who are supposed to ensure such things dont happen. What example is he setting for the rest of Irish football???

Barcelona didn't think he was tall enough either, they paid for his HGH treatment.

They paid for HGH and he is now a tall 5'5 or 5'6!? He was spotted as a talent and it was recognised that he had a medical condition that needed treatment for him to fulfill his potential. I think he has done that at a size/height that would still have beeen overlooked (pardon the pun) in the UK. Xavi didnt need HGH and was key to Barcelona and Spain's world cup win and is shorter than Messi.

He was spotted as a talent and it was recognised that he had a medical condition that needed treatment for him to fulfill his potential.

That's one way of looking at it alright. Another is that it is at best unethical, at worst doping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Delaney out advertising on Grafton Street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

AGC wrote: »
    Delaney out advertising on Grafton Street

https://twitter.com/PaulFla1965/status/1069182991187042305

Seven Worlds will Collide

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/john-delaney-says-nobody-cares-13675496

The great leader has spoken......"Nobody cares more for the LOI".

That's one way of looking at it alright. Another is that it is at best unethical, at worst doping.

Apologies people for this being off thread!!

What are you on about Hotblak, he had a medical condition that was treated. He was diagnosed with HGH deficiency which results in shorter than DNA marked height and delayed puberty. This is simply treated with synthetic HGH, somatropin. There are probably a few thousand kids that are treated in Ireland in the same way. It certainly isnt unethical or doping. No more than someone who is diabetic taking insulin, another hormone replacement therapy. I am no obsessive fan of Messi and it isnt the thread for this but where people get some of their ideas from boggles the mind. Its not as if the chap was 5'10 and they wanted a 6'4 midfielder not that somatropin would overide or have enhanced his geneticly marked height.

If he was taking HGH now it would amount to performance enhancment assuming that after puberty he is producing suffieient levels of HGH as all people require throughout life.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/john-delaney-says-nobody-cares-13675496

The great leader has spoken......"Nobody cares more for the LOI".

As I said in a previous post, he truly is in a little bubble of his own, with people telling him that he is spot on in everything he says and does and he probably believes what he is saying. There are few people who are as risky in any profession than those who think they are fantastic!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement