Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Delaney at the FAI Thread - (Mod Notes in OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

I'd like to hear some examples of a CEO of a high profile organisation giving a substantial loan to their organisation, surely he can come up with one other example of it happening, if it happens in a daily basis.

Highly dubious that if this is so commonplace that the rest of the Board wasn't informed, and it wasn't in the accounts either.

I'd say that's normal too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Lads ignore chancer I have.

Now we can't ignore the other chancer that is hanging around the fai like a bad smell. Hopefully he is booted out without a payoff - he has been the problem child not the league of Ireland.

Arghus wrote: »
    That's just gibberish.

The degeneration of the coherence of your arguments over the last fortnight or so has been pretty remarkable.

2 weeks ago he was telling posters their head was up their assess, they were stupid, and offering to draw pictures to help them.

Now, clearly his effort last night was less coherent, but he's not as smartarsed as he was, so that's an improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I'd like to hear some examples of a CEO of a high profile organisation giving a substantial loan to their organisation, surely he can come up with one other example of it happening, if it happens in a daily basis.

Highly dubious that if this is so commonplace that the rest of the Board wasn't informed, and it wasn't in the accounts either.

I'd say that's normal too.

You misread my post. The "it happens daily" part was a response to the question of why the fai was allowed to run up a big debt in the first place.

Arghus wrote: »
    That's just gibberish.

The degeneration of the coherence of your arguments over the last fortnight or so has been pretty remarkable.

2 weeks ago he was telling posters their head was up their assess, they were stupid, and offering to draw pictures to help them.

Now, clearly his effort last night was less coherent, but he's not as smartarsed as he was, so that's an improvement.

The head up their ass retort was a reply to a poster who said i had my head up my ass. Fire with fire. Baby insults with baby insults.

Mature i know.

The head up their ass retort was a reply to a poster who said i had my head up my ass. Fire with fire. Baby insults with baby insults.

Mature i know.

You're simply lying now.

The poster you quoted said you had your head in the sand. You yourself brought in the head up ass stuff, presumably thinking it was a clever retort.

I think you may have been a bit giddy because you thought John would ride it out. I'm glad you have left that stuff behind as his position has become more and more tenuous.

You misread my post. The "it happens daily" part was a response to the question of why the fai was allowed to run up a big debt in the first place.

Did I also misread your earlier post where you totally made up a scenario that painted Delaney in a better light?

Do other large organisations "daily" get to the point where the overdraft is almost totally exhausted that they need loans from employees? Examples please.

Is that a commonplace occurence? Is it commonplace then for the CEO to write a cheque, the organisation "live on the credit" of the CEO and then pay him back a couple of months later? That's a normal situation in your mind, is it? Again, examples please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Hopefully for the sake of football, pressure will be put on FAI to arrance a date for EGM, AGM scheduled for July is just not on.
    Have to say, it's looking bleak for the body known as FAI, its actually a CLG, a company limited by guarantee, the guarantors are, I understand the board members . With resignations promised, would you allow your name to go forward as a board member and hence a guarantor for God knows what at this stage. We may see a wind down of the CLG and a whole new corporate entity set up, with a new brand name, FAI name is currently toxic, maybe thats why Sports Ireland have brought in an expert in this area. A holy mess headed by CEO Delaney :(

I think Niall Quinn was advocating for a name change too.

IFA is taken already though.

Association of Irish Football?

• Advertisement

Did I also misread your earlier post where you totally made up a scenario that painted Delaney in a better light?

Do other large organisations "daily" get to the point where the overdraft is almost totally exhausted that they need loans from employees? Examples please.

Is that a commonplace occurence? Is it commonplace then for the CEO to write a cheque, the organisation "live on the credit" of the CEO and then pay him back a couple of months later? That's a normal situation in your mind, is it? Again, examples please.

I think the nitpicking over the delaney meeting doesnt add anything positive or negative to delaney IMO.

An example off the top of my head - numerous large building firms would go deep in the red , buying materials, hiring etc. Then get paid when the project is complete. Back in black.

Again, I've said numerous times, the loan was unusual, but so what? It actually helped the FAI out and he didnt charge interest.

It was unorthodox sure , but makes little difference to me if he loaned the cash or if a bank loaned it. If hes happy to do it then how bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Football Federation of Ireland by next September! I actually agree with the rebranding anyway as it would help do away with the relatively regular mix up in foreign media with the IFA. With the pending launch of a new company running LoI the opportunity could be used for a complete rebranding of football here.

I have to say I hope that this 'bigger' breaking news does not take away from the issue already at hand where a former CEO has not acted in the best interests in Irish football by trying to conceal financial issues and associated flaws in governance and culpability. This new issue could have a general wider impact on the board and staff eg CFO and CEO along with tresurers. What is not clear to me is why the H4 form was not filled post audit with 7 days to address the issue - maybe I have it wrong but it still looks like a retrospective submission by the auditor after the story broke rather than dilligence on behalf of Deloitte at the time of the scheduled audit.

We also still have to have 6k of cash withdrawals minimum accounted for by JD. A breakdown of further expenses and the guidelines by which expenses are allocated as appropriate to use also.

An example off the top of my head - numerous large building firms would go deep in the red , buying materials, hiring etc. Then get paid when the project is complete. Back in black.

Private companies where of course you might get partners paying in to keep the show going. They are answerable to themselves though.

The situation is not remotely similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I think the nitpicking over the delaney meeting doesnt add anything positive or negative to delaney IMO.

Again, I've said numerous times, the loan was unusual, but so what? It actually helped the FAI out and he didnt charge interest.

It was unorthodox sure , but makes little difference to me if he loaned the cash or if a bank loaned it. If hes happy to do it then how bad.

That's the $64K question. Why did JD refuse to comment on it to the Sunday Times and why did he wait until hours before the publishing deadline and go to the enormous expense (whose expense I wonder?) of trying to get an injunction to prevent the Sunday Times from publishing details of his wonderful, magnanimous gesture to the 'Football Family'.

Its just a little bit strange isn't it?

Sporting organisations , National Assiocations, unlike businesses use CLG as they cant be owned by anyone , but thats what was wrong with this whole setup, the CEO treated it like he owned it, the board were non functional and didnt prevent it.
    No Governance what so ever.
    But we now have a fantastic opportunity to get it set up properly with real Governance and a functioning board.
    How anyone of right mind can still defend Delaney is totally beyond me !

Deise Vu wrote: »
    That's the $64K question. Why did JD refuse to comment on it to the Sunday Times and why did he wait until hours before the publishing deadline and go to the enormous expense (whose expense I wonder?) of trying to get an injunction to prevent the Sunday Times from publishing details of his wonderful, magnanimous gesture to the 'Football Family'.

Its just a little bit strange isn't it?

You are wasting your time there, some people just dont get it or dont want to get it, or plainly dont understand what Governance proplems existed in the FAI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/3998261/fai-complaint-not-related-john-delaney-loan/

"A well-placed source told the Irish Sun: “The auditors have raised something new with the FAI, and something potentially big. There could be something bigger than a €100,000 cheque.

“It is not about liabilities to a football club. The spend within football is all legitimate. It is about the current or previous accounting period (2018/19), and this failure could amount to a prosecution on indictment or summary prosecution.

“The worst may be yet to come.”

Puzzled as to how nobody has replied to this. This is potentially huge. It means that the auditors aren't going back on what they've said before or whatever has been claimed in recent pages to deflect from the FAI as its for what they're currently working on. The FAI had a chance to explain/fix it and didn't /couldn't and the breaches are potentially extremely serious given the sections breached. No wonder Delaney didn't say anything related to anything in the Oireachtas since he knew this was coming as Deloitte had to inform the FAI a week before filing this.

If it had been relating to years gone by Delaney could have easily played the "well Deloite didn't say anything at the time card" but since it's the current period he can't.

I joked a few pages back about Delaney going to jail but it could seriously happen with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Puzzled as to how nobody has replied to this. This is potentially huge. It means that the auditors aren't going back on what they've said before or whatever has been claimed in recent pages to deflect from the FAI as its for what they're currently working on. The FAI had a chance to explain/fix it and didn't /couldn't and the breaches are potentially extremely serious given the sections breached. No wonder Delaney didn't say anything related to anything in the Oireachtas since he knew this was coming as Deloitte had to inform the FAI a week before filing this.

If it had been relating to years gone by Delaney could have easily played the "well Deloite didn't say anything at the time card" but since it's the current period he can't.

I joked a few pages back about Delaney going to jail but it could seriously happen with this.

Exactly...seems to be more to this than we all realise or know. Also explains why JD is being shadowed by his solicitor to every meeting at the FAI. Also explains why the comments of the Committe were towards high court cases if they said anything wrong. I have a feeling JD has lost his support and that 1 or 2 FAI board members are willing to leave with a bang to allow for a fresh start.

As I have written here before I have it from a good source that Conway has no time for JD. Also being told that DFC have played a part in it as they see no way for reform with the current FAI.

Edit: Just thinking (I know could be dangerous)
    Could the problem have something to do with money, Power and Waterford??? Did he maybe bail JD out this year???

Ive decided to retire from this thread (in before "good riddance")

Couple of things

Im not a huge delaney supporter (or trump or anyone else) but what i am is very opposed to witch hunts and negative rhetoric and echo chambers.

I hate the Animal Farm style of posts where "2 feet good, 4 feet bad" is repeated over and over by uninformed people with no backing behind their thoughts except they read it in the daily mirror. Thats what annoys me and why i got invested.

This thread isnt good for me. And others seem to be getting little from my debating.

Ive 1000s of posts over the years and cant remember ever insulting somebody so i dont want to be that kind of poster, or seen as a troll. Apologies to anyone i insulted. Boards is far better than that.

Come what may for JD, wont affect me in the slightest either way. Nor should it ye.

Enjoy the thread without my constant arguing, i wont post in it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Ive decided to retire from this thread (in before "good riddance")

Couple of things

Im not a huge delaney supporter (or trump or anyone else) but what i am is very opposed to witch hunts and negative rhetoric and echo chambers.

I hate the Animal Farm style of posts where "2 feet good, 4 feet bad" is repeated over and over by uninformed people with no backing behind their thoughts except they read it in the daily mirror. Thats what annoys me and why i got invested.

This thread isnt good for me. And others seem to be getting little from my debating.

Ive 1000s of posts over the years and cant remember ever insulting somebody so i dont want to be that kind of poster, or seen as a troll. Apologies to anyone i insulted. Boards is far better than that.

Come what may for JD, wont affect me in the slightest either way. Nor should it ye.

Enjoy the thread without my constant arguing, i wont post in it again.
    You won’t be missed, goodbye...

Sad to see people being laid off from the FAI already :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Now now lads behave......Chancer is away as he knows his arguments are over. JD is in trouble and no one knows whats coming next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't have a problem with someone playing devil's advocate, but, if you're going to try it, make sure you can actually do it well.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Regardless of who posts what here, I have a suspicion this topic (and thread) have a long way to go yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Jack McCarthy knew all along

"THE FORMER owner and chairman of Limerick football club, Jack McCarthy, has filed a $1m lawsuit in the US against the FAI and a number of individuals connected with it, including chief executive John Delaney.The action is being taken under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO), normally used to deal with gangster and Mafia related crime in the US."

Not sure how to embed videos but there's a touch of pot.kettle.black in his comments :D
    https://youtu.be/emZ1-4C63ww

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It gets worse on the football side of things:

https://twitter.com/paulrowantree/status/1118853105104433152?s=19

Cienciano wrote: »
    It gets worse on the football side of things:

https://twitter.com/paulrowantree/status/1118853105104433152?s=19

So in other words either Delaney was actively ensuring he would be the only one in UEFA so he could play the "contacts" card or he was actively stunting the growth of Irish football because someone criticised him or both. What a great guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I see the dear leader is still enjoying the good life...

https://twitter.com/YouBoysInGreen/status/1118928428013637632

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I see the dear leader is still enjoying the good life...

https://twitter.com/YouBoysInGreen/status/1118928428013637632

Nothing short of outrageous. What the fcuk were they thinking.

D14Rugby wrote: »
    So in other words either Delaney was actively ensuring he would be the only one in UEFA so he could play the "contacts" card or he was actively stunting the growth of Irish football because someone criticised him or both. What a great guy

It's just Delaney being petty because Kerr has been a long term critic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

I think Niall Quinn was advocating for a name change too.

IFA is taken already though.

Association of Irish Football?

FFI - Football Federation of Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

FFA - Football Federation of Ireland

IRA

Irish republic association

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Gonad wrote: »
    IRA

Irish republic association

Whooops! I got that wrong, my bad it’s been a long week 😬

You might be onto something there though, maybe in line with the current setup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The Sound FAI.

The old one about any Irish organisation that's a bit dodge.

The Murfia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Thread gone a bit south but this is worth a read.

https://tacticstruck2.com/2019/04/15/opinion-delaney-is-just-the-tip-of-the-iceberg/

The above shows the layers of problems in the FAI and not just JD its what enables JD, and also only Limerick repeat that xmlillion for what kind of **** the DDSL pulls :D

dreamers75 wrote: »

https://tacticstruck2.com/2019/04/15/opinion-delaney-is-just-the-tip-of-the-iceberg/

The above shows the layers of problems in the FAI and not just JD its what enables JD, and also only Limerick repeat that xmlillion for what kind of **** the DDSL pulls :D

SPA getting rule books out to get rules enforced :pac:

Imagine that.

SPA getting rule books out to get rules enforced :pac:

Imagine that.

oh you are one of those.....again this thread lost its value days ago.

But just for you, to help clear this up for you. In these tweets PROTECTED is the key word.

https://twitter.com/byrne_david/status/1119003537743273984

https://twitter.com/byrne_david/status/1119003539320311810

"Amid cries of “slander”, both men attempted to physically bar me from entering the ground. While I loudly exhorted them to unhand me, and either accept my money or call in the actual authorities, matchgoers simply stood by and gawped. One woman, who had no idea who I was or what was happening, did attempt to intervene. But the vast majority who knew exactly what was playing out, and why, did nothing. One FAI employee, a regional development officer, even appeared to draw much mirth from the whole squalid scene. Again, those immortal words came to mind: no one cares."

Because the majority of people have no time for him as he's a massive bellend.

"Amid cries of “slander”, both men attempted to physically bar me from entering the ground. While I loudly exhorted them to unhand me, and either accept my money or call in the actual authorities, matchgoers simply stood by and gawped. One woman, who had no idea who I was or what was happening, did attempt to intervene. But the vast majority who knew exactly what was playing out, and why, did nothing. One FAI employee, a regional development officer, even appeared to draw much mirth from the whole squalid scene. Again, those immortal words came to mind: no one cares."

Because the majority of people have no time for him as he's a massive bellend.

Is he wrong?

Jesus the JD is strong with this lot.

• Advertisement

Is he wrong?

Jesus the JD is strong with this lot.

you have me wrong here I think (not sure u know, we know each other irl, i'm shels, we've played football in the pheno together both of us with different usernames here)

spa aren't wrong to get waterford booted here, it's just bleedin hilarious to see spa turning to rule books to get a result they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

I went on the PaddyPower site just to have a gawk at any novelty bets that they are offering on Delaney and the question is "What will John Delaneys next job be?" and one of the options for a bet is "Become the face of any of any tennis ball brand" at 100/1. Got to give it to PP they know how to market themselves.

But knowing how much of a financial snake delaney is, he will probably place a serious bet on that himself and then start a company selling tennis balls just to cash in on his bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    I went on the PaddyPower site just to have a gawk at any novelty bets that they are offering on Delaney and the question is "What will John Delaneys next job be?" and one of the options for a bet is "Become the face of any of any tennis ball brand" at 100/1. Got to give it to PP they know how to market themselves.

But knowing how much of a financial snake delaney is, he will probably place a serious bet on that himself and then start a company selling tennis balls just to cash in on his bet.

Not disputing the snake part but the maximum stake on novelty markets like that is usually a tenner

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

FFI - Football Federation of Ireland

FFS - Football Federation of Soccer :pac:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Surprised it had not already been re-branded JD Sports....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Cyrus wrote: »
    to my knowledge the fai has not been found to be guilty of contravening those sections of company law. So someone will decide if they are guilty or not. Surely that does require an investigation into the facts as presented. How else do the ODCE decide what sanctions, if any, apply?

It depends on the level of the breach. Diff sanctions for different category breaches

Jail time, fines, DQ to act as a director

H4 was filed because Conway admitted at Oireachtas that the 100k was not recorded as a single transaction in the accounts.

I'm guessing that Deloitte were fed a different story about those transactions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    It depends on the level of the breach. Diff sanctions for different category breaches

Jail time, fines, DQ to act as a director

H4 was filed because Conway admitted at Oireachtas that the 100k was not recorded as a single transaction in the accounts.

I'm guessing that Deloitte were fed a different story about those transactions
    It was reported that it has nothing to do with the loan. The issue relates to the current accounts. Apologies quoting the sun https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/sport/football/3998261/fai-complaint-not-related-john-delaney-loan/amp/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

In tomorrow’s ⁦@SunTimesIreland⁩;, we reveal payments made by the FAI five years ago to John Delaney’s then girlfriend ⁦@marktigheST⁩; #Delaney
    https://twitter.com/JohnBurnsST/status/1119720059725914117

similar suspicions re emma english https://twitter.com/SineadOCarroll/status/1119726194583326720

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Meh. We knew this, didn't we? Also his current girlfriend (or her company?) is supposed to be on salary someone said?

• Advertisement
Advertisement