Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Delaney at the FAI Thread - (Mod Notes in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Why doesn’t Delaney just leave and take one of those million euro a year jobs he was always turning down?

The only way he's going to get a job earning that is if he becomes an expert in cracking safes and joins Oceans 11

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Cienciano wrote: »
    The only way he's going to get a job earning that is if he becomes an expert in cracking safes and joins Oceans 11
    John would not lower himself to that kind of robbery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Cienciano wrote: »

That actually sounds like work.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I have a bad feeling that he might slither away relatively scot free yet. It would be a very Irish resolution to the whole affair.

Some of the revalations that have come out in the last fortnight or so - the loyalty bonus being the worst example - were just as disgraceful as the carry on that started all of this, but the media - with a few exceptions - doesn't seem as interested as it was even 4 to 5 weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I am told Rea Walshe is working wonders in the background. She is the link between SI and the ould cnuts who were milking it....she has a lot on the line and is no dope.

Dont forget...we still dont know who the whistle blower was.....but it had to be someone very close to JD as no one else seen anything.

Just on Rea Walshe... bear in mind she was the Licensing Director for this season's LOI! So far.. Waterford have been turfed out of Europe and their budget is missing 300k now while Limerick FC players are on strike due to non-payment of wages! Just because she's changed positions doesn't mean she shouldn't have any accountability!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Just on Rea Walshe... bear in mind she was the Licensing Director for this season's LOI! So far.. Waterford have been turfed out of Europe and their budget is missing 300k now while Limerick FC players are on strike due to non-payment of wages! Just because she's changed positions doesn't mean she shouldn't have any accountability!

She has to be held accountable for any she has aided or done. However without someone on the inside helping the investigation you will not get very far as all JDs mates are still protecting him.

They picked Walshe for a number of reasons and I suspect they are:
    1. She will be accountable to the law society at the end of everything, hence she will not want to put her future career on the line for JD and should cooperate.

2. If she acted as an internal legal advisor you can bet your bum on it she knows more than most about the goings on.....question is will she sing or point the investigations in the right direction?? I suspect this is the very reason a solicitor was placed in a position with internal legal work....solicitors are like priests in the confession box and JD knew it.

All in all the full management of the FAI, committees, boards and so on have to fully resign and be replaced if needed by non football family members.

As for the "Licensing Director" job...do you really think she could go against Kim Jong D and his deals?? Do you believe he didnt tell every department what to do knowing they were all either dependant on the job or in the position because they were his knodding donkeys.....
    The FAI was run for many years by one man and one man only....everyone else only did as he said and knew they couldnt do anything as the lads on the councils and board stood united behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

The FAI was run for many years by one man and one man only....everyone else only did as he said and knew they couldnt do anything as the lads on the councils and board stood united behind him.
    so why take a job there?

so why take a job there?

Question is...what was she employed as. My info is that she was employed as inhouse legal council for the FAI, cushy number on good money. The the reality hits home and you either resign or follow the great leader. She as many others took the money and followed. 100% sure 95% of the users here would do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Question is...what was she employed as. My info is that she was employed as inhouse legal council for the FAI, cushy number on good money. The the reality hits home and you either resign or follow the great leader. She as many others took the money and followed. 100% sure 95% of the users here would do the same.

Delaney is a particularly odious fúcker.

Regardless of my seemingly lack of morals sometimes, it would want to have been a serious leap of faith to stand square by him given what he is.

I mean as a LOI fan and and Ireland fan I've watched him strip the soul out of the sport in this country for minimal return.

I'd have been in the door and out the back whistleblowing within days to get the sham out on his ear.

The crumbling of this edifice is as delightful as I could have hoped especially as it's happening in slow motion to boot.

but as you said yourself its been a one man show for years why did she seek a job there in 2014? she didn't find herself stuck in a job that went bad, she chose to put herself in position of going into a institution that stank for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I'd like to think that the majority of people would have a little more integrity and would walk away.

FAI don't pay particularly well either and have massive issues keeping staff .Maybe that was more to do with people realising the **** that was going on and wanting n involvement rather than money.

but as you said yourself its been a one man show for years why did she seek a job there in 2014? she chose to put herself in position of going into a institution that stank for years

Again the question is what was she promised or what were her other options, was she making money/in demand before the FAI came along?? Did she buy into JDs world, is she the daughter/niece of an FAI insider, do the working hours fit into her private life or was she told she would be able to change something???

yabadabado wrote: »
    I'd like to think that the majority of people would have a little more integrity and would walk away.

FAI don't pay particularly well either and have massive issues keeping staff .Maybe that was more to do with people realising the **** that was going on and wanting n involvement rather than money.

Have you ever met a lawyer that showed morals or integrity. I suspect she was on a nice wage for doing very little....maybe also topping up her income by invoicing the FAI for private legal advice/consulting or working for one of JDs investments, hence why they want privileged papers kept away from the ODCE. I have asked a member of the government committee to ask for the issue to be looked into months ago. Something had to flow to keep her stumm.

The other big question that no one is asking......Who is the insider feeding the press???? How many knew about the loan???

The other big question that no one is asking......Who is the insider feeding the press???? How many knew about the loan???
    think its fairly obvious who it is, somebody that no longer works there.

The loan came up in the Family Court.

Have you ever met a lawyer that showed morals or integrity. I suspect she was on a nice wage for doing very little....maybe also topping up her income by invoicing the FAI for private legal advice/consulting or working for one of JDs investments, hence why they want privileged papers kept away from the ODCE. I have asked a member of the government committee to ask for the issue to be looked into months ago. Something had to flow to keep her stumm.

Yes I have and I'd wager the majority of them are.Lawyers/Solicitors arent all some sort of David Kleinfeld type character .

Everyone wants to know who the whistleblower is and that has been asked several times.The journalists aren't going to disclose that.They have been chasing JD for years but injunctions and threatening letters usually seen a story die.
    There are numerous people who would do it .Whoever it is deserved a medal.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Yes I have and I'd wager the majority of them are.Lawyers/Solicitors arent all some sort of David Kleinfeld type character .

Everyone wants to know who the whistleblower is and that has been asked several times.The journalists aren't going to disclose that.They have been chasing JD for years but injunctions and threatening letters usually seen a story die.
    There are numerous people who would do it .Whoever it is deserved a medal.

Not only a medal but also a place on the new board!!!

Not only a medal but also a place on the new board!!!

Doubt their names will ever become public knowledge,one of them has moved onto a much better gig ,I doubt they want anything to do with the FAI ****show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

So Noel Mooney has been parachuted in by UEFA to help run the FAI for the next six months. The same Noel Mooney who in 2017 stood up at the FAI AGM and firmly lodged his tongue so far up JDs ass that I'm shocked he managed to pull it back out. Lavishing praise on the how the once young CEO made the FAI fit for purpose, so you gotta laugh that less than two years later Mooney is being asked to help out because of the absolute state that once young CEO has left the FAI in.

Also it was JD who first brought Mooney into the FAI and would have been an influence behind Mooney getting his chushy gig with UEFA.

Yeah this appointment stinks .Mooney was also touted as a option for CEO job once this mess is sorted, he would be an awful appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

The optics doesn't look good. Not that we are a mob mentality and looking for blood but I think a lot of fans feel that after a number of false promises of reform we now have someone very much associated with people from the past.

A complete reform is required.

I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with an ex FAI employee getting the job if I thought they would reform the association but Mooney was an extremely pro JD voice.

Has he seen the error of his ways ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Did UEFA pick him or did someone such as Rea (or Sepp D. himself) nominate him?

Did UEFA pick him or did someone such as Rea (or Sepp D. himself) nominate him?

He has the job with UEFA a few years but no idea if JD helped him out.He sang his praises when he was leaving, along the lines of JD was an inspiration to work with.

Mooney was head of league marketing and promotion for the FAI ,I'd love to know what he actually did because no one in FAI seems to care about LoI .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Good to see the progress being made with transparency at fai hq
    ;) a few more shuffles to try cloud things even further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Necro wrote: »
    Tbf, the supporters (on this thread anyways) have long since ran away with their tails between their legs. I'd love to know what they had to say after all of this though...

A lot of them weren't really defending Delaney, just pointing out that he was a symptom not a cause. He was allowed to carry on the way here did by those that enabled and supported him. Those people are still in place all over the country.

Those that complained were mostly not involved in the domestic game attending only internationals. When you're not involved the moaning is easy to ignore.

• Advertisement

Those that complained were mostly not involved in the domestic game attending only internationals. When you're not involved the moaning is easy to ignore.

What's this now ?
    Can you elaborate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

A lot of them weren't really defending Delaney, just pointing out that he was a symptom not a cause. He was allowed to carry on the way here did by those that enabled and supported him. Those people are still in place all over the country.

You better put on the hard hat after that statement!!! The biggest critics of JD for the last decade and a half were from the highest level of the domestic game!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Surely that's a poor attempt at a wind up yeah?

Nesta99 wrote: »
    You better put on the hard hat after that statement!!! The biggest critics of JD for the last decade and a half were from the highest level of the domestic game!

What clubs specifically have been critical of Delaney? The critics within the game were few and far between.

That's why the carry on went on for so long. He had support. You can be critical of Delaney in isolation, he only flourished because he was let.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

They definitely weren't just doing that, they were fully defending him. 'Whats wrong with the 100,000 ' etc etc.

Your second paragraph is even more bizarre. There have been plenty of critics from within the domestic games but why would Delaney care about that when it wouldn't be taken notice of.

This thread really has had some zingers of posts.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    They definitely weren't just doing that, they were fully defending him. 'Whats wrong with the 100,000 ' etc etc.

Your second paragraph is even more bizarre. There have been plenty of critics from within the domestic games but why would Delaney care about that when it wouldn't be taken notice of.

This thread really has had some zingers of posts.
    Name the clubs, not individuals, that have been critical of Delaney.

Silence...

That's were only a handful of individuals from within the game, the odd journalist and tbf a few supporters. But even then these supporters we're still tacitly supporting the FAI by attending the games, so it would be valid to question the strength of their opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Lads there's absolutely no point in biting, stuff being said is so stupid it's obviously just bait

Silence...

That's were only a handful of individuals from within the game, the odd journalist and tbf a few supporters. But even then these supporters we're still tacitly supporting the FAI by attending the games, so it would be valid to question the strength of their opinions.

Do you want clubs to release statements condemning the head of the association that barely gave a **** about them anyway? You are looking for something that isn't realistic but is the easiest thing to say in isolation. A 'few' supporters....lol There have been loud Delaney chants sang at LOI grounds for years with plenty of banners confiscated, just because these people didn't release press statements for you doesn't mean it didn't exist. I'd say find another angle for your bait.

Silence...

I think most understand very well why Irish clubs could not criticise Delaney.

We are talking about a man who was so sensitive to criticism and so determined to crush it that he had stewards at overseas games ordered to remove any Delaney out banners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

[QUOTE=MrMusician18;110232144]What clubs specifically have been critical of Delaney? The critics within the game were few and far between.

That's why the carry on went on for so long. He had support. You can be critical of Delaney in isolation, he only flourished because he was let
    .[/QUOTE]

You could literally apply the same 'logic' to Kim Jong Il and North Korea.

Corholio wrote: »
    Do you want clubs to release statements condemning the head of the association that barely gave a **** about them anyway? You are looking for something that isn't realistic but is the easiest thing to say in isolation. A 'few' supporters....lol There have been loud Delaney chants sang at LOI grounds for years with plenty of banners confiscated, just because these people didn't release press statements for you doesn't mean it didn't exist. I'd say find another angle for your bait.

It's not just about statements but actions. These same clubs voted for council members who kept Delaney and friends at the top of Irish football

What does that say about them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's not just about statements but actions. These same clubs voted for council members who kept Delaney and friends at the top of Irish football

What does that say about them?
    Exactly what it should say. People pick out Delaney and consider him the only one that is at it which is way, way off.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Exactly what it should say. People pick out Delaney and consider him the only one that is at it which is way, way off.

This is exactly my point. Getting rid of Delaney won't be a real victory unless the rot is completely excised from Irish football. And the rot runs deep, when you look at the current boards football credentials.

Getting Delaney out is totemic, but it's the enablers and supporters that are the real problem. Without real reform and new honest faces at all levels, you'll have the same issues again 5/10 years down the line with another board.

This is exactly my point. Getting rid of Delaney won't be a real victory unless the rot is completely excised from Irish football. And the rot runs deep, when you look at the current boards football credentials.

Getting Delaney out is totemic, but it's the enablers and supporters that are the real problem. Without real reform and new honest faces at all levels, you'll have the same issues again 5/10 years down the line with another board.

If you look at Dundalks chairmans twitter accoubt you will see he has been questioning the FAI since the summer and long before the 100,000. As I have said here before....Peak6 are one of the few owners who could take him on. Problem with other clubs (and this is no dig) is the FAI have been holding them by the short and curlies for years and fines were issued to keep them in line.

I also think it's useful to not conflate the domestic game in totality with the LOI.

Junior/provincial/schoolboy (you know what I mean) football have been in his pocket for years.

The LOI clubs being a lone voice generally whistling in the wind.

So maybe some clarity would be forthcoming from those above, about exactly what and who they means when they talk about the "domestic game" in relation to protesting and criticising of Delaney.

• Advertisement

This whole 'Everyone thinks its just Delaney' stuff is tired at this stage. That was the excuse the Delaney backers started using when more and more stories started coming out. Everyone know it's not just Delaney, far from it being only him, but he was the figurehead and these enablers rode the train to him. Nobody is saying if Delaney goes it's all ok. Irish football has far too many fractures for it to happen anyway quick, leagues like the LSL etc having their own separate playtime with football in this country is and has always been ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Delaney had so much power within the organisation that you can't really know what people really think of him. Even people and clubs who couldn't stand him, had to toe the line anyway.

The LOI clubs being a lone voice generally whistling in the wind.
    You are way off the mark if you think LOI clubs are clean.

If you could link the post that said Delaney is the only problem and once he's gone it'll be grand, it would be helpful.

But you're hardly trying to argue that we should gloss over Delaney's wrongs because there may be other unspecified issues in the LoI...are you? Surely it would work the other way around, how could we expect the game here to be a paragon of virtue given the accusations against the FAI and the man at the helm.

Where did I say I think all LOI clubs are clean?

What has that got to do with the clear point I made that the Domestic game in totality =/= the LOI?

Anyway, shouldn't you be over in the FFP thread defending City with some whataboutery?

But you're hardly trying to argue that we should gloss over Delaney's wrongs because there may be other unspecified issues in the LoI...are you? Surely it would work the other way around, how could we expect the game here to be a paragon of virtue given the accusations against the FAI and the man at the helm.
    I'm certainly not suggesting we should gloss over Delaney's stuff by any stretch. Cutting the head off the snake is a great start.
    Like this guy was at it back in the 90's as treasurer. Louis Kilcoyne turfed Shamrock Rovers out on the street and later became President of the FAI. He had Delaney as his sidekick and when he got turfed out Delaney looked out too but somehow ended up in a more powerful position. You couldn't make it up.

I'm certainly not suggesting we should gloss over Delaney's stuff by any stretch. Cutting the head off the snake is a great start.
    Like this guy was at it back in the 90's as treasurer. Louis Kilcoyne turfed Shamrock Rovers out on the street and later became President of the FAI. He had Delaney as his sidekick and when he got turfed out Delaney looked out too but somehow ended up in a more powerful position. You couldn't make it up.

Oh I agree, it's kinda lurched from one crisis to another, new regimes only seem to put a cork on problems for a few years rather than address them.

Think you’re mixing up Delaney with his auld lad.

A different contemptible c**t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Noel Mooney coming out denying any involvement with the Hall report that created the new role for JD when he stepped aside as CEO. This lad on twitter @The_Irishkieran, should check out his profile as there's a few interesting tweets but he seems to be connecting some dots which show that Noel Mooney and Jonathan Hall have some links.

https://twitter.com/The_Irishkieran/status/1129585648246108161

Seems Mooney is pally pals with the lads from Oman too.

• Advertisement

Advertisement