Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Delaney at the FAI Thread - (Mod Notes in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Control the message - take the independent media out of the equation and that's PR 101 Step 1 sorted.

-Edit- He even sounds like JD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Lads JD has friends at UEFA, his old mate Mooney flies in from UEFA and in 6 months no one will speak about JD, the FAI will move on, the government will forget everything....... Its nothing more than a damage limitation exercise with JD pulling the strings in from UEFA head office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

ah nothing like a healthy dose of propaganda

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

"Comments are disabled for this video."
    ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Nesta99 wrote: »

I think Eddie Murphy would have done a better job anyway
    The FAI have not had a treasurer since Eddie Murphy stepped down in April and Koller's role is expected to last a number of months.

Looks like Mooney's appointment is already being dismissed as a cynical move by the Minister.

The FAI have cocked this up so wonderfully that every move is being scrutinised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Shane Ross in todays Sindo
    For a brief moment, shell-shocked by their disastrous performance before a Joint Oireachtas Committee, it seemed the FAI had bought into this radical break with the past; that the old regime was in retreat; that the baton would be passed on to talented independent newcomers. A caretaker board would organise a seamless break with the past. We dared to hope.

Our hopes have been shattered. Last week the caretaker board decided to do more than caretake. It appointed a man called Noel Mooney to take the reins for a "temporary" six-month period. It did this in the face of the opposition of not only Sport Ireland, but also the Government.

In recent days, it has been desperately trying to spin this retrograde appointment to the media as a prudent development.

Public confidence in the FAI, already at its lowest ebb, will now hit rock bottom. The decision to install Mooney was a backwards step. The Irish people have a right to know why the top brass of the FAI chose him to take the role of general manager (chief executive by another name). Equally, they have the right to know why we objected in no uncertain terms in a tense, face-to-face meeting with the FAI.

Mooney is Irish, a former devoted employee of the FAI, now working for Uefa. There was no known selection process, no interview for his shock appointment. The FAI board sought him out for the job. They nearly all know him of old. If this cynical manoeuvre succeeds, they will feel eminently comfortable with him. He knows the FAI ropes.

Two years ago he reappeared from Uefa, back at his old stomping ground, the familiar pasture of the FAI AGM. His praise of the board was cringeworthy. "The FAI," he declared, "is one of our most progressive and well-run federations... it really is a super federation and you can be proud of yourselves, the board and all the members here." Wow.

Last week the board returned the compliment. Mooney of the old regime was anointed, an FAI loyalist to his fingertips. He is not the person needed to guide the FAI back into the affections and trust of the public. The FAI needs an independent chief executive, a troubleshooter without links to the FAI board, selected in an open, transparent process.

Mooney may have many talents, but he is one of the last people on God's earth suitable for this job. There is no going back for the FAI. Going to Noel Mooney is going back to the dark ages.
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/shane-ross-this-cynical-move-to-appoint-fai-loyalist-noel-mooney-is-going-right-back-to-the-dark-ages-38148999.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

**** me. Never thought I would see the day I agree with Shane Ross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Welcome to hear a Minister take this seriously and not trot out the usual sound bites. Is there anything that can be done though? I worry the FAI have weathered the worst of the storm and that the chance for some meaningful change may have been missed.

• Advertisement

Welcome to hear a Minister take this seriously and not trot out the usual sound bites. Is there anything that can be done though? I worry the FAI have weathered the worst of the storm and that the chance for some meaningful change may have been missed.

There will be no change as long as JD and his mates are pulling the strings. All on the gravy train and none of them will allow it to crash.

Only way to get change is to protest at matches or stayaway. Also a few LOI clubs, junior clubs and/or their owners/investers could do with being more vocal. If not they will be dealing with Quinn or someone similar before they know what is happening and the FAI will have washed their hands of the LOI to allow them dig deeper into the trenches by stating the grassroots supports us.

**** me. Never thought I would see the day I agree with Shane Ross

The absolute gall of him to call others out on corruption. His own credibility is gone long ago. He is part of a government thats equally incompetent and corrupt and he is happy to stay dumb while he has a bit of power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The absolute gall of him to call others out on corruption. His own credibility is gone long ago. He is part of a government thats equally incompetent and corrupt and he is happy to stay dumb while he has a bit of power

I am no fan of Ross or this government but what corruption is there ?

I would be more worried about corruption within some parties whom are not in power than those in government if I am honest.

Anyway getting back to Ross getting involved in the FAI/JD saga.....if he did nothing what would you be saying then??? Some people will never be happy, however he has acted and is continuing to put pressure on for change that the majority of fans want.

If the rumours are true then the credit cards are the smoking gun.

yabadabado wrote: »
    If the rumours are true then the credit cards are the smoking gun.

Lets hope they have enough ammo to get a 110% change at all levels within the FAI. Killing me not planning to go to the next round of games. Was sure with JD out of the way that things would move much faster. As it stands it much of the same...all covering for each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

They're proving that just putting up a front and saying nothing actually works.

Lets hope they have enough ammo to get a 110% change at all levels within the FAI. Killing me not planning to go to the next round of games. Was sure with JD out of the way that things would move much faster. As it stands it much of the same...all covering for each other.

JD isn't out of the way yet,until he is sacked it will be much the same.Then they can move on to clearing out the rest of his yes men and women(singular?).

JD isn't out of the way yet,until he is sacked it will be much the same.Then they can move on to clearing out the rest of his yes men and women(singular?).

Christ anyone with half a brain can see JD is still pulling the strings today and has called in his mates within UEFA to help take the attention off him. The FAI as it stands needs to be disbanded and replaced with a new organisation consisting of representation at all levels from within and outside the football family and full transparency has to be a priority. Added to that terms of office have to be fixed and everything/everyone has to be regularly checked and double checked in detail.

• Advertisement

Bar Mooney who has came in that would back JD?

Delaney is finished in the FAI, its just a case of getting him out now with as little pay off as possible. For that to happen there needs to be a full and proper investigation.

I'd be more concerned about the July AGM and the people who might think they can still be involved or look to be elected.

Bar Mooney who has came in that would back JD?

Delaney is finished in the FAI, its just a case of getting him out now with as little pay off as possible. For that to happen there needs to be a full and proper investigation.

I'd be more concerned about the July AGM and the people who might think they can still be involved or look to be elected.

The FAI appointed their own people to investigate....they are all working in the interests of the FAI board...past and present. Mooney is the icing on the cake as far as that goes.

As for the July AGM.....of course they will vote in the same people. Its all about scratching backs, covering up and looking after each other. Again I will say...apart from 1 or 2 LOI clubs silence has been deafening. Same goes for grassroots and that is where JDs power is.

The football forum is on today,has a mix of lots of different parties at it.Hearing some good stuff so far.

Anyone here at it?I know a few in attendance so hopefully will get some decent feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Christ anyone with half a brain can see JD is still pulling the strings today and has called in his mates within UEFA to help take the attention off him. The FAI as it stands needs to be disbanded and replaced with a new organisation consisting of representation at all levels from within and outside the football family and full transparency has to be a priority. Added to that terms of office have to be fixed and everything/everyone has to be regularly checked and double checked in detail.

I don’t think anyone in Uefa is interested in standing up for Delaney.

Getting him out with the minimum of fuss and attention seems to be their game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Ross and Sports Ireland has the nuclear button to use as leverage, undue influences by govt will mean expelled from FIFA, if that's was it takes to get rid of these leeches..so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Doubt the FAI had any say about the Mooney appointment. UEFA weren't going to give them all that money and not have one of their men involved in the FAI. Aren't UEFA also sending over someone to take over the role as treasurer?

Iirc Paul Cooke is taking over as treasurer but UEFA also sending a delegate to over see it.
    Uefa’s finance director Josef Koller is being sent to Dublin to oversee all financial matters at the Football Association of Ireland.

Iirc Paul Cooke is taking over as treasurer but UEFA also sending a delegate to over see it.

To be straight out about it, tis like sending in mobsters to oversee the cowboys.
    Who has any faith in UEFA - tis all about the money for them as well - just look at events of the past week to see how shady some of their own dealings are.
    The cheek of them then to say the state shouldnt get involved at all.

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I don’t think anyone in Uefa is interested in standing up for Delaney.

Getting him out with the minimum of fuss and attention seems to be their game.

What planet are you living on. Mooney got the job at UEFA because of JDs contacts and is sent back to look after him by wish of the FAI who appointed him, Hall studied with Mooney at UEFA and did the report to promote JD when the **** was hitting the fan. And low and behold Cooke is appointed and UEFA send over another friend of JDs to sit over him to watch the money.

If UEFA wanted JD out he would be gone by now.....they got rid of the head of the German FA within 6-7 days because he took and failed to declare a €6K watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Looks like tennis balls are required,
    Unfortunately the best option wont be carried out, a total boycott of matches, i voted with my feet about 10 yrs ago, Delaney has not seen 1 cent from me

The football forum is on today,has a mix of lots of different parties at it.Hearing some good stuff so far.

Anyone here at it?I know a few in attendance so hopefully will get some decent feedback.

Any news on what went down today???

secman wrote: »
    Unfortunately the best option wont be carried out, a total boycott of matches, i voted with my feet about 10 yrs ago, that cnut Sep Delaney has not seen 1 cent from me

Tennis balls worked a treat. Question is if it would work again??

Empty ground would be very effective as no income from fans nor government would put them against the wall. I am hurting....no Denmark and no plans to travel until they change for real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

secman wrote: »
    Unfortunately the best option wont be carried out, a total boycott of matches, i voted with my feet about 10 yrs ago, that cnut Sep Delaney has not seen 1 cent from me

I hope they dont throw tennis balls on June 10th.....there is no way our players could take such a distraction during a game against the mighty footballing nation of Gibralter. :D

Any news on what went down today???

I'll should get info over the weekend, haven't asked any of them yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Indo reporting that all but one member of the sacked board will be seeking re election.

If the FAI play hard ball on the Noel Rooney appointment all state funding should be withheld.

When you think the FAI have reached rock bottom, they still manage to dig themselves in even more.

It's as if they still don't realise that Sport Ireland has suspended funding, and that won't start again while the FAI remain truculent. They've alienated the Minister, the Taoiseach, the media, everyone. And here's the crucial thing, the appetite now is to keep the funds away from them until they toe the line. They have no leverage. They are a busted flush...they just don't seem to know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Delaneys appointment of mooney hasn't gone down well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

When you think the FAI have reached rock bottom, they still manage to dig themselves in even more.

It's as if they still don't realise that Sport Ireland has suspended funding, and that won't start again while the FAI remain truculent. They've alienated the Minister, the Taoiseach, the media, everyone. And here's the crucial thing, the appetite now is to keep the funds away from them until they toe the line. They have no leverage. They are a busted flush...they just don't seem to know it.

They are delusional. Id say they are biding their time using it to flush their wrong doings away so they wont get hooked after they go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

seligehgit wrote: »
    Indo reporting that all but one member of the sacked board will be seeking re election.

If the FAI play hard ball on the Noel Rooney appointment all state funding should be withheld.

It's turning into a joke

• Advertisement

It's turning into a joke

I think what you wanted to say is "The FAI is a joke and its a lads club covering for each other to the bitter end"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It's turning into a joke

We got there a long time ago!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

The FAI is just a parody of itself at this point.

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1136363841510621184

Yes, we were hacked. Nothing suspicious going on here whatsoever........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Quick to get something forensic done...

sugarman wrote: »
    Magic, now the real dirt will surely begin to surface.

Unless the hack ,was not a hack :eek:

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1136363841510621184

Yes, we were hacked. Nothing suspicious going on here whatsoever........

Again, PR 101, Smokescreen, Deflect, Try change the narative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Maybe a hack in FAI terms is someone once in a while turning a computer on at HQ.

Unless the hack ,was not a hack :eek:

Exactly what came into my mind. Will either result in:

1. Documents disappearing or investigations being hindered.
    2. The press getting documents that will hang each and every board and committee member out to dry.

My tip is option 1

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Exactly what came into my mind. Will either result in:

1. Documents disappearing or investigations being hindered.
    2. The press getting documents that will hang each and every board and committee member out to dry.

My tip is option 1

These "Hacks" are 9 times out of 10 an inside job (They forgot to change that Password :pac: ). Especially if Credit Cars etc.... aren't exposed. Question is who will benefit the most when sensitive documents disappear from internal servers during an external audit.

Id also go with number 1.

• Advertisement
Advertisement