Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Delaney at the FAI Thread - (Mod Notes in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think it's odds on that many sensitive documents and e-mails will now conviently dissappear just before people will be requesting access to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Arghus wrote: »
    I think it's odds on that many sensitive documents and e-mails will now conviently dissappear just before people will be requesting access to them.

Yep and if that's the case the Garda Fruad Squad should be called in along with a ramping up of whatever other investigations are ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

What sort of hacker hacks into an organisation being investigated and all they do is potentially delete some emails? The only answer is someone from that organisation, either currently or in the past, trying to hide something.

Exactly what came into my mind. Will either result in:

1. Documents disappearing or investigations being hindered.
    2. The press getting documents that will hang each and every board and committee member out to dry.

My tip is option 1

Supposedly the only thing that has been lost in the "hack" is historical e-mails.

What a surprise.

God, they really are a truly rotten organisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Arghus wrote: »
    Supposedly the only thing that has been lost in the "hack" is historical e-mails.

What a surprise.

God, they really are a truly rotten organisation.
    since it sounds like they are using on prem exchange im sure they still have backups of that system unless they mysteriously get lost as well :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Its all a setup by Sport Ireland, the press and the government to make JD and the board look bad lads. Sure they never done a thing wrong and no wrong doing will ever be proven.....(what I have just been told by one of JDs merry men)

Gael85 wrote: »

Of course he is still being paid his wages. He is on gardening leave and general practice is that you get paid. The big question here is....

Did he sign his new contract before his gardening leave begin??? If so why is he still on 360k...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

He was supposed to be taking on the new role with immediate effect and he was put on gardening leave 3 weeks later.
    He's probably on more money than ever now as I doubt he gives the UEFA cash to the FAI anymore....

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    He was supposed to be taking on the new role with immediate effect and he was put on gardening leave 3 weeks later.
    He's probably on more money than ever now as I doubt he gives the UEFA cash to the FAI anymore....

The big question is and remains....did he sign the contract. Do the FAI have his resignation in writing and did he sign the new one.

If yes....why is he being paid the CEO salary. If not...why not??

He must be taking home 500K plus at the moment with the FAI and UEFA gigs.

Only highlights that the FAI needs to be disbanded, investigated and reformed with independant/non Irish football people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

This stuff is unreal. I bet he still views this as a minor hiccup before he's back in the driving seat.

They are dragging it out hoping the problem will go away and in the mean time they are covering each others backsides. I am sure there has been some amount of data disappearing over the last 8-12 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

The big question is and remains....did he sign the contract. Do the FAI have his resignation in writing and did he sign the new one.

If yes....why is he being paid the CEO salary. If not...why not??

He must be taking home 500K plus at the moment with the FAI and UEFA gigs.

Only highlights that the FAI needs to be disbanded, investigated and reformed with independant/non Irish football people.

You can bet the first thing he did was get the legalities sorted and a contract signed. I dont think even Delaney would know that he was better off not signing a new contract so he'd be out on leave on 3 or 4 times the salary that his former job payed. There is still a lot of messing going on.

This too https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/0619/1056391-john-earley-fai/
    at face value its hard to know that 'the issue of governance' with the individual was resistance to change rather than change not happening!

Nesta99 wrote: »
    You can bet the first thing he did was get the legalities sorted and a contract signed. I dont think even Delaney would know that he was better off not signing a new contract so he'd be out on leave on 3 or 4 times the salary that his former job payed. There is still a lot of messing going on.

This too https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/0619/1056391-john-earley-fai/
    at face value its hard to know that 'the issue of governance' with the individual was resistance to change rather than change not happening!

If no feckin around is going on then JD would not be getting paid his 300K+ salary. He would be on the 120k he said he was getting for the new job.

He was/is being well schooled and that before any of this broke I would say. This is a man who showed up to the government meeting to say nothing with his lawyer behind him. My bet is he never signed the new contract and as a result he has the FAI over a barrell.

They are dragging it out hoping the problem will go away and in the mean time they are covering each others backsides. I am sure there has been some amount of data disappearing over the last 8-12 weeks.

The problem is, they are only digging a bigger hole at this stage, I doubt that grant money will be reinstated if they give a "the dog ate my homework/the relevant data" line, sure data protection and security is also part of proper governance.

• Advertisement

The problem is, they are only digging a bigger hole at this stage, I doubt that grant money will be reinstated if they give a "the dog ate my homework/the relevant data" line, sure data protection and security is also part of proper governance.

Grant money wont be reinstated until 110% change has happened, the FAI board know what they have to do. I have that from a member of the committee first hand. He also told me they know a lot more than they can say publically as it is not proven etc. and court cases may follow.

They are all trying to cover each others arses on the FAI board and never for one minute did they believe that the government/SI would come after them as they are. They are like rats fleeing a flood at this stage. Will be interesting to see if the board member who resigned yesterday gives journalists a chance to question him. Or is it another move by the FAI??

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/john-delaney-and-the-360k-question-fai-refuse-to-comment-on-former-ceo-38241293.html

Are they building a case against him, are trying to protect him in the hope that it will all go away or are they just being the same old FAI???

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/john-delaney-and-the-360k-question-fai-refuse-to-comment-on-former-ceo-38241293.html

Are they building a case against him, are trying to protect him in the hope that it will all go away or are they just being the same old FAI???

Im hearing shall we say more positives than negatives in FAI efforts. Legal issues are taking precedence over public information at the moment.

all gone very quiet on the JD front lately

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

shanec1928 wrote: »
    all gone very quiet on the JD front lately

Just the way he and the FAI want it.

Weather that storm, keep the heads down and hopefully back to the trough for more gorging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Thing is, he needs to keep his FAI job to keep his UEFA job and the FAI may still consider it in their best interested to have ‘their man’ in a big UEFA job.

Its all about jobs for the boys.....JD still very much there and the FAI hasnt changed one bit. Only difference at the moment is that they have the begging bowl out and are admitting they are up to their necks in debt. All show until they all resign and allow for a new start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

FAI say no employee or customer data leaked in Abbotstown cyber attack https://www.the42.ie/fai-cyber-attack-statement-4709513-Jul2019/ so what was that all about?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

FAI say no employee or customer data leaked in Abbotstown cyber attack https://www.the42.ie/fai-cyber-attack-statement-4709513-Jul2019/ so what was that all about?
    Distraction?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Distraction?

Nah... Just plain old destroying of evidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

This data hack is like the modern and updated version of the time when someone broke into a laboratory to steal the blood sample of Cian o'Connors horse Waterford Crystal. Its cynical and obvious and whoever did it knows it too but destroying the evidence takes precedence over appearances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Distraction?
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    Nah... Just plain old destroying of evidence
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    This data hack is like the modern and updated version of the time when someone broke into a laboratory to steal the blood sample of Cian o'Connors horse Waterford Crystal. Its cynical and obvious and whoever did it knows it too but destroying the evidence takes precedence over appearances.

I'll be interested to see:
    1. How the FAI explain that some data has been deleted by the "hacker" but not all, and that no data was exfiltrated out of the organisation. (If that is indeed what they are planning to do)
    2. How the various bodies involved with the investigations take this line of BS.

Again however, it does appear to me that a lot of the furore has died down in the media - granted it now appears the FAI are in dire straits - but the pressure seems somewhat off.

When are the first of the reports due I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Delaney getting sidelined at UEFA. Piece just gone up on Irish Times website.

kippy wrote: »
    Again however, it does appear to me that a lot of the furore has died down in the media - granted it now appears the FAI are in dire straits - but the pressure seems somewhat off.

When are the first of the reports due I wonder?

They had a record breaking run of getting sports onto the front page, that level could not be maintained. But as long as funding is withheld, they are screwed, and that will reach a tipping point within the organisation at some stage too.

One of the reports was already released. The FAI promised to implement it yada yada yada.

https://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/joint-statement-by-fai-and-sport-ireland

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1060463/

Good to see the work on transparency is going well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's understandable that the accounts cannot be presented until investigations are complete.

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's understandable that the accounts cannot be presented until investigations are complete.

Heard during the week from a former FAI employee that it was because the Garda fraud department are getting involved and want to question current and past employees about the finances. He also mentioned they couldnt risk letting people know they were beyong broke as they are trying to extend sponsorship deals.

I was on a committee of an organisation, not huge, but with an annual turnover of 10mil and an annually elected Executive. We had made the general manager redundant as he was tricking with books and giving crony staff huge pay rises without going to the executive committee but he was a shrewd individual so unsackable. A confidentiality clause was part of the redunancy if he went quietly with significant compensation if this was broken. The former GM paid one of the Executive officers to breach this clause in their officers report to the AGM (the person prevaricated until the very last minute to submit their report, maybe a hour before the AGM). As the reports were being given out to the floor the scheming was copped and there was a very quick and panicky retrieval of all the reports. It was a very embaressing AGM with lots of questions from the floor on what we were hiding and we were in no position to give answers other than to say 'Trust us' there is good reason. We had to hope that nobody on the floor had put the reports in a bag and held on to one which could have been leaked. Rules changed after and people registered at the door and recieved a numbered annual report, submission deadlines were strictly enforced and the solicitor read through all reports in advancd also. We were all in our early 20s so it was a steep learning curve in general. The Executive Officer involved with the scheming was sanctioned via a no confidence vote and resigned.

With this experience in mind I am willing to cut the current people at the FAI a break especially Donal Conway as it is undoubted that all this is now tied up in a legal quagmire, and investigations cannot be prejuidiced. It is certainly plausable that what has come to light in the various internal audits now involves Na Gardaí. If we truly want to see a head(s) roll the we have to be patient and take things at face value for now. Long runs the fox and all that, and any leaks now would screw up any future possibility of criminal proceedings especially or at least cause the forking out of a very big pay off!!

We can enjoy for now the apparent marginalising of the former CEO among his UEFA 'friends'. After their past issues they will not want to continue to associate with somebody who has huge question marks over their honesty and credibility on financial conduct. Come 2021 involvement in football admin could very well be at an end home and abroad!

I was on a committee of an organisation, not huge, but with an annual turnover of 10mil and an annually elected Executive. We had made the general manager redundant as he was tricking with books and giving crony staff huge pay rises without going to the executive committee but he was a shrewd individual so unsackable. A confidentiality clause was part of the redunancy if he went quietly with significant compensation if this was broken. The former GM paid one of the Executive officers to breach this clause in their officers report to the AGM (the person prevaricated until the very last minute to submit their report, maybe a hour before the AGM). As the reports were being given out to the floor the scheming was copped and there was a very quick and panicky retrieval of all the reports. It was a very embaressing AGM with lots of questions from the floor on what we were hiding and we were in no position to give answers other than to say 'Trust us' there is good reason. We had to hope that nobody on the floor had put the reports in a bag and held on to one which could have been leaked. Rules changed after and people registered at the door and recieved a numbered annual report, submission deadlines were strictly enforced and the solicitor read through all reports in advancd also. We were all in our early 20s so it was a steep learning curve in general. The Executive Officer involved with the scheming was sanctioned via a no confidence vote and resigned.

With this experience in mind I am willing to cut the current people at the FAI a break especially Donal Conway as it is undoubted that all this is now tied up in a legal quagmire, and investigations cannot be prejuidiced. It is certainly plausable that what has come to light in the various internal audits now involves Na Gardaí. If we truly want to see a head(s) roll the we have to be patient and take things at face value now. Long runs the fox and all that, and any leaks now would screw up any future possibility of criminal proceedings especially or at least cause the forking out of a very big pay off!!

We can enjoy for now the apparent marginalising of the former CEO among his UEFA 'friends'. After their past issues they will not want to continue to associate with somebody who has huge question marks over their honesty and credibility on financial conduct. Come 2021 involvement in football admin could very well be at an end home and abroad!

Doesnt matter what the board are doing or have done in the past...they are all up to it in their necks. They either knew what was going on and ignored it or they profited from it themselves. One way or another the only thing that should be happening at the EGM and AGM is that the full committee and board should be resigning and coming out with the truth to make sure football has an open and honest futher in Ireland.

I for one am very suspicious about what has been going on......JD gets a new role, but is on his old salary, JD put on gardening leave, internal investigation, the FAI want to open but still fail to deliver info to the government committee hiding behind the same internal investigation. Add to that JDs mate Mooney taken in to run the shop and the announcement that some current board members would stand for re-election.

Doesnt matter what the board are doing or have done in the past...they are all up to it in their necks. They either knew what was going on and ignored it or they profited from it themselves. One way or another the only thing that should be happening at the EGM and AGM is that the full committee and board should be resigning and coming out with the truth to make sure football has an open and honest futher in Ireland.

I for one am very suspicious about what has been going on......JD gets a new role, but is on his old salary, JD put on gardening leave, internal investigation, the FAI want to open but still fail to deliver info to the government committee hiding behind the same internal investigation. Add to that JDs mate Mooney taken in to run the shop and the announcement that some current board members would stand for re-election.

I agree totally with you! All I am saying, as per the example above, is that there has to be a process followed to get the result that we all want. I'm not suggesting that it is the same scenario but we should be aware that such a scenario may have certain members of the board hamstrung. When the chief goes its quite possible the rest will fall on their sword. If they dont then public pressure will persist and the microscope that is on the re-elected members will make for a very uncomfortable term of office!

At this point it is patience that is required not a pitch fork and mob mentality! (imo). If it turns out that nothing changes in due course then I volunteer to head the mob marching on Abbotstown. My gut feeling is, like it or not, due process needs followed to and it's happening!

Nominations Confirmed For FAI President And Vice-President https://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/nominations-confirmed-for-fai-president-and-vice-president
    Donal Conway has been nominated unopposed by AGM members of the FAI for the position of President.

Noel Fitzroy, Gerry McAnaney and Paul Cooke have been proposed and seconded by AGM members of the Association for the role of Vice-President.

Both roles will be filled at the AGM this year if the rule changes needed to comply with the Sport Ireland-FAI Governance Group Report are passed at Saturday’s EGM in Dunboyne.

If the proposed rules fail to pass then the posts will be filled under the old rules at a Special Council meeting of the FAI following the AGM on July 27th.

Both Elections are necessary given the current Board's commitments to stand down ahead of the July 27th AGM.

General Manager Mooney has confirmed to members that all nominees have been proposed and seconded by separate AGM members, have served at least two years on FAI Council and are serving members of Council.

do they tell the members who nominated who

Nominations Confirmed For FAI President And Vice-President https://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/nominations-confirmed-for-fai-president-and-vice-president

do they tell the members who nominated who

They tell members who to vote for it seems.....who in their right mind would want any of the board or committee to continue???

Its still a case of jobs for the boys, covering each others backs.

Transparency....name the people who nominated him and allow them explain why. Furthermore....let him explain his role under JD and what went wrong in his watch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I thought it was recommended that one or two of the board stay on for another year to help with the "transition".

So I'm not seeing that as a major bad point.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I thought it was recommended that one or two of the board stay on for another year to help with the "transition".

So I'm not seeing that as a major bad point.
    the guy who was on the board for the last 14 years who said he'd step down...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

the guy who was president for the last 14 years who said he'd step down...

He's been president since 2018.

He's been president since 2018.

Yeah hes been president for less than a year but has been on the FAI board for years .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Yeah hes been president for less than a year but has been on the FAI board for years .

I know.

Lord Ross's idea that there should be an entirely new board is so stupid though that even the review group recommended that at least one of the existing board stay on for a year.

Conway has been the one selling the reforms in the roadshows around the country so he's pretty obviously the best one to stay on.

Why did Conway say he would step down only a few weeks ago ?To me it looks like he never had any intention of doing it.

I agree there should be one maybe two people kept on for a short period while the reforms(!) happen.

The quorum cut from 6 to 2 is another move that doesnt look good.

Conway was never going to stand down. He sat beside JD, helped keep him out of the sh1te in the Dáil and has been doing it ever since. He had aided JD in every way possible and obviously wants to stay on to keep control of what may or may not get out. A newly formed FAI board would never hang out the out the new president to dry as it would totally undermine the work they would be trying to do.

• Advertisement

The most damning item in the Ross statement is this

"I understand that the upcoming AGM and EGM will consider a large number of amendments to the association's Rulebook, Constitution and Articles of Association. Included in these is a proposal that the quorum for the FAI board be reduced from six to two. This beggars belief".

I would agree with continuity of maybe 2 old board members staying for a spell but if quorum is 2 well whats the point of the entire review and almost a new board if two members can have a meeting and make policy, monetary or generally executive decions for all!?? It really does beggar belief!!

Conway was never going to stand down. He sat beside JD, helped keep him out of the sh1te in the D and has been doing it ever since. He had aided JD in every way possible and obviously wants to stay on to keep control of what may or may not get out. A newly formed FAI board would never hang out the out the new president to dry as it would totally undermine the work they would be trying to do.

If Conway was never going to stand down it was absolutely beyond stupidity to say otherwise. He should have made a case for himself to get another year rather than giving Ross and SI the run around.
    I still dont think the people in FAI realise the position they are in ,they have no ace to deal here.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The most damning item in the Ross statement is this

"I understand that the upcoming AGM and EGM will consider a large number of amendments to the association's Rulebook, Constitution and Articles of Association. Included in these is a proposal that the quorum for the FAI board be reduced from six to two. This beggars belief".

I would agree with continuity of maybe 2 board members but if quorum is 2 well whats the point of the entire review and almost a new board if two members can have a meeting and make policy, monetary or generally executive decions for all!?? It really does beggar belief!!

Beyond belief.... Completely unacceptable.

Their response is completely off the wall as well

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1063472/

The proposed constitutional change regarding the quorum for the Board states that it shall be two members of the Board of Management or such other number as may be specified in the Rules. The rulebook states that the quorum is six. Therefore, the quorum is six.

I mean, do they not understand the meaning of the word "or"????

It states 2 of the board of management OR other such number as is in the rule book..... So if passed, 2 board members can hold meetings to decide the governance of the FAI.

these guys are compete chancers OR complete idiots OR both

If Conway was never going to stand down it was absolutely beyond stupidity to say otherwise. He should have made a case for himself to get another year rather than giving Ross and SI the run around.
    I still dont think the people in FAI realise the position they are in ,they have no ace to deal here.

He will claim it was not his idea and that the committee, current board, governance group etc. begged im to stay. It will only be to aid the FAI going forward......

The top dogs in the FAI still think they are a step above the law.....thats the only problem they have. It is time that the government and whoever else can come down on them like a tonne of bricks.

This is going to drag on for years I reckon, they're obviously prepared to dig in and hang on for deal life.

Edit: Bit of a Freudian slip there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement