Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Delaney at the FAI Thread - (Mod Notes in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

No sign of him lately is he after leaving the country or what

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Zico ! wrote: »
    No sign of him lately is he after leaving the country or what

He knows there’s no way back.

Stay out of the limelight and keep pocketing that hefty wedge every week while you can!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

https://www.98fm.com/podcasts/98fm-now-that-39-s-what-i-call-sport/donal-conway-refuses-discuss-delaneys-future-fai-egm

Second half of the interview, which was recorded yesterday evening, is interesting......wonder if Conway feels the same this morning???

Starting to think its time to up the protests.....emails to committee members and all in cc to the FAI. Fans do not have to accept this muck.

Futhermore I hope the 2 lads named in the articles take the FAI, Garda and whoever else was involved to the cleaners. Delany and his merry men believe they are a step above the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

More stuff in Sunday's paper about FAI funds being used for JDs 50th birthday party and a piece about how gaurds tried to hack a fans what's app group over fears of protests against our glorious leader, according to the head of security for the FAI.

the article says they were investigating whether he used FAI funds for his 50th, theres no more information backing up the claim, it was a stretch to put it as a headline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Shane Ross's column https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/shane-ross-fai-is-united-and-strong-at-the-bottom-but-its-split-at-the-top-38330931.html
    I responded by asking him to withdraw his nomination and honour his promise. Apparently the FAI regard my demand that he keep his word as an interference in its independence! Pretty odd, as he himself publicly introduced the subject in his letter.
    although he didn't ask him to stick to his word he asked him to withdraw...

he spoke RTE too https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0721/1064346-fai-shane-ross/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Looks like Dunphy has decided to stick the boot into the FAI at long last.

https://twitter.com/NewsNeil13/status/1151794886737367041

He was on RTE a few months back defending Delaney - "a man of vision" - but earlier today he was on Marian Finucane's show defending the stance the government has taken. You can listen to it here.

Pity it took so long to get to this point but better late than never.

And todays episode of the FAI drama....you couldnt make it up. Tomorrow he will be telling us he is giving Mark Tighe he inside info.

1. Conway claims the FAI themselves called in the ODCE
    https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/4353689/fai-chief-donal-conway-association-alerted-odce/

2. Potential job losses within the FAI whilst they are paying JD his CEO salary after he went public claiming he changed his position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Looks like Dunphy has decided to stick the boot into the FAI at long last.

https://twitter.com/NewsNeil13/status/1151794886737367041

He was on RTE a few months back defending Delaney - "a man of vision" - but earlier today he was on Marian Finucane's show defending the stance the government has taken. You can listen to it here.

Pity it took so long to get to this point but better late than never.
    Wasnt Dunphy at John Delaneys big birthday party?

I presume the journos know d'video story doing the rounds and it's only a matter of time before they run with it...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I presume the journos know d'video story doing the rounds and it's only a matter of time before they run with it...
    what would this video be then?

• Advertisement

Uhu Super Glue just been onto me...himself and his FAI guru would love to see it. Are we gonna get a link...pm if you wish.

I think describing the alleged contents on here or even hinting at them would see the mods get a collective stroke! And in fairness, I can't claim to have seen it, I've merely heard what's in it and that everyone in the FAI knows about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

I think describing the alleged contents on here or even hinting at them would see the mods get a collective stroke! And in fairness, I can't claim to have seen it, I've merely heard what's in it and that everyone in the FAI knows about it.

Talk about being a tease!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

gmisk wrote: »
    Wasnt Dunphy at John Delaneys big birthday party?

He was and he was a big Delaney supporter until very recently too.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    He was and he was a big Delaney supporter until the money ran dry too.

Corrected that for you :p;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

CatFromHue wrote: »
    He was and he was a big Delaney supporter until the money ran dry too.

Corrected that for you :p;)
    Dunphy is a bigger spoofer then anybody . Says whatever the public wanna hear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If I'm thinking of the same video ,then I doubt that will ever make it into the public domain. It's a few years old now and apparently its not the best of quality.

yabadabado wrote: »
    If I'm thinking of the same video ,then I doubt that will ever make it into the public domain. It's a few years old now and apparently its not the best of quality.

FAI PFAI....we thinking the same one???

yabadabado wrote: »

The video wouldn't have to get into the public domain. Again, without getting into the content, the rumour is that it was in effect bought back from the person who had it. If that happened, and I can't say that it did, that would be the angle that would finish him and everyone who knew about but didn't say "that's wrong".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

It was utterly brain dead of Conway to casually mention job losses may be required. Particularly when Beaker is still drawing down his grossly inflated wage, while on gardening leave.

givyjoe wrote: »
    It was utterly brain dead of Conway to casually mention job losses may be required. Particularly when Beaker is still drawing down his grossly inflated wage, while on gardening leave.

The bigger joke is that he is still getting paid as CEO after his public announcement that he had signed a new contract for a new position.

On another note, I heard this morning that Uhu Super McGlue is very busy...getting ready for the AGM.....all members will be searched on arrival, he is asking the Gardai to introduce a no fly zone to prevent the protest banner getting into the air and finally all cars are to be checked within 5 miles of the location to make sure no tennis balls or banners get to the protest group who are making plans in their Whatsapp group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The video wouldn't have to get into the public domain. Again, without getting into the content, the rumour is that it was in effect bought back from the person who had it. If that happened, and I can't say that it did, that would be the angle that would finish him and everyone who knew about but didn't say "that's wrong".

Not just the video bought back but the rights to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Great interview here with Kerr. Confirmed has had almost zero contact from the FAI since 2005, except for some small unconnected things. Makes some good points about the people who wrote up this report.

https://twitter.com/gcooney93/status/1153702001311649793?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

Emmet and Dan doing a good job at informing us of what the FAI are up to today at the AGM........

https://twitter.com/emmetmalone?lang=de

https://twitter.com/McDonnellDan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I can't believe most of these people are still in control after 5 months of this sh*te and how anyone can support the national team going forward is beyond me. Nothing has changed and nothing will change unless the fans take a stand.

Conway knew everything that was going on. He is the president. If he somehow didn't know, he should have. None of them can stay.

Oat23 wrote: »
    I can't believe most of these people are still in control after 5 months of this sh*te and how anyone can support the national team going forward is beyond me. Nothing has changed and nothing will change unless the fans take a stand.

Conway knew everything that was going on. He is the president. If he somehow didn't know, he should have. None of them can stay.

The onyl reason Conway is there is to ensure he can stop more coming out and keep a lid on things. He was JDs right hand man for years and must have known what was going on. I certainly dont believe a few claims he has made with the biggest one being...."He didnt know the details of JDs contract and salary...he never knew about his rent being paid". Fact is and remains...as a board member he signed off accounts....were they all OK???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

The list of stuff that he claims he didn't know about is a bloody long one - and he still thinks he's fit to lead. Some pair of balls on him.

Edit: just saw this on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/emmetmalone/status/1155026548363354112

Umaro wrote: »
    The list of stuff that he claims he didn't know about is a bloody long one - and he still thinks he's fit to lead. Some pair of balls on him.

Edit: just saw this on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/emmetmalone/status/1155026548363354112

A much nicer piece by Emmet....

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/conway-s-reforming-zeal-in-stark-contrast-to-his-previous-fai-record-1.3968804?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Conway either didn't know what was going on and was completely hoodwinked by Delaney or he did very much know about it and turned a blind eye. Neither of those two possibilities place him in a positive light.

I want the President of the FAI to either know what's going on or be willing to address any shenanigans that arise. Whatever the case was with Conway, he can't be seen to have done either.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Competely disgusting that an AGM can be held in these circumstance, with no audited accounts and therfore no accountability on the previous board

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Competely disgusting that an AGM can be held in these circumstance, with no audited accounts and therfore no accountability on the previous board

It shows nothing has changed. People being voted into office without an account in site. No accountability at all........former board members voted into key positions to ensure the cover ups continue.

Interesting read today.....Ross met members of FIFA and UEFA on Friday night...only FAI member their was the outgoing female board member. Funny how Conway didnt have the balls to show up and try and get a solution....but then again that would have meant he had to face up to some home truths and maybe be asked questions which he wouldnt feel comfortable answering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Conway is a scumbag and faciliated everything that is wrong in irish football. I cannot believe this is irish football's position

Sport Ireland need to be very careful in their dealings. The Chairman Mulvey had a private meeting with Pat Hickey.

https://twitter.com/caulmick/status/1155471993795465217?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

Corholio wrote: »
    Sport Ireland need to be very careful in their dealings. The Chairman Mulvey had a private meeting with Pat Hickey.

https://twitter.com/caulmick/status/1155471993795465217?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

They are all the same.....just a different sport and name. Of course SI knew what JD was at, they just turned a blind eye to it.

The only reason SI made a move to question the FAI was because of the great work done by the newspapers and Sports Committee asking questions. They had to be seen to be doing something.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/fai-director-we-didnt-know-of-2m-john-delaney-loyalty-deal-38364758.html

So Earley and Conway have now gone public to say they didnt know about the this......who bloody signed it off then???

Questions now must be asked:

1. What was the role of a board member within the FAI prior to this mess being made public??

2. What was the policy for signing contracts or amendments to contracts....any company I worked for had/have a policy(example below), anything less would be grossly negligent...
    Up to €50,000 - Department leader
    Up to €150,000 - 2 Department leaders or a director
    Over €150,000 - Board member + a director

All seems yet again very convienient, either amateur stuff all together or excuses to save backsides. Either way neither should be anywhere near the new board.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/fai-director-we-didnt-know-of-2m-john-delaney-loyalty-deal-38364758.html

So Earley and Conway have now gone public to say they didnt know about the this......who bloody signed it off then???

Questions now must be asked:

1. What was the role of a board member within the FAI prior to this mess being made public??

2. What was the policy for signing contracts or amendments to contracts....any company I worked for had/have a policy(example below), anything less would be grossly negligent...
    Up to €50,000 - Department leader
    Up to €150,000 - 2 Department leaders or a director
    Over €150,000 - Board member + a director

All seems yet again very convienient, either amateur stuff all together or excuses to save backsides. Either way neither should be anywhere near the new board.

I hate to say this but whatever about Conway, he's a clown. But John Earley, while being there for all the bad stuff will probably see the end of him too, is a really genuine chap with football best interests at heart. Done savage work with the sfai for schoolboys football. Would have been an asset in new board but I think he has shot himself in foot and gone wrong way about it.

• Advertisement

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    I hate to say this but whatever about Conway, he's a clown. But John Earley, while being there for all the bad stuff will probably see the end of him too, is a really genuine chap with football best interests at heart. Done savage work with the sfai for schoolboys football. Would have been an asset in new board but I think he has shot himself in foot and gone wrong way about it.

Earley was a member of the FAI board, not the SFAI board in Abbotstown. His and every other members role was to ensure JD and the FAI management were doing their jobs correctly and that finances, books etc. were in order. They were signing things off....

If you read his statements you can see that he was only interested in his own interest and not the good of the FAI as a whole, JD rolling up to junior clubs with a few grand (government money) here and there was enough to buy him, doesnt say much for the man.

Dont be blended....he wasnt and isnt fit for the position of board member in an organisation of the size of the FAI. If he was he would have known and taken action against/regarding one of the following; the €100k loan, the €2million handcuffs deal, the expenses, the credit card, girlfriends travelling expenses, fans being frisked home and away, whatsapp groups being hacked, heavy handed security in the singing section of the Aviva.........but he was happy to keep stumm once the clubs got their handouts.

None of them are fit to be near a local flag day let alone the FAI.

Earley was a member of the FAI board, not the SFAI board in Abbotstown. His and every other members role was to ensure JD and the FAI management were doing their jobs correctly and that finances, books etc. were in order. They were signing things off....

If you read his statements you can see that he was only interested in his own interest and not the good of the FAI as a whole, JD rolling up to junior clubs with a few grand (government money) here and there was enough to buy him, doesnt say much for the man.

Dont be blended....he wasnt and isnt fit for the position of board member in an organisation of the size of the FAI. If he was he would have known and taken action against/regarding one of the following; the €100k loan, the €2million handcuffs deal, the expenses, the credit card, girlfriends travelling expenses, fans being frisked home and away, whatsapp groups being hacked, heavy handed security in the singing section of the Aviva.........but he was happy to keep stumm once the clubs got their handouts.

None of them are fit to be near a local flag day let alone the FAI.

I'm just saying he has done some good work in recent times as chairman of the sfai which is more than can be said of the rest of them. Unfortunately, I completely agree with the rest of your post. While he might be good, he can't and should not be on the new board.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

So, honestly, what is going to be different from here on? Is Conway going to be buying us cheap cans to make us think he's a hero too? Whole thing stinks of ****. FAI are a law unto themselves,

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    I'm just saying he has done some good work in recent times as chairman of the sfai which is more than can be said of the rest of them. Unfortunately, I completely agree with the rest of your post. While he might be good, he can't and should not be on the new board.

I think one should ask why he was doing the good work....would he show us his full expenses list for his time on the board???

Was he having his own pockets lined??? Until the FAI become transparent and after what happened we have to assume these lads were getting something to turn a blind eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I'm sure plenty of them were happy to travel around Europe and be wined and dined for free.
    That's before any expenses or stipends are added in.

That would be at the real lower level of what could have been happening behind closed doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Patience people! The **** has yet to really hit the fan for some. It will be a surprise to most when all investigations are done and the shackles are fully off in due course. Nothing can be said or done currently that could prejuidice future proceedings!

https://twitter.com/marktigheST/status/1160469574510362629

Sunday Times News
    FAI latest - association is paying back €100,000 a month to Sports Direct after a sponsorship deal collapsed.
    Exclusive by @paulrowantree

Now the question has to asked again and this time very loud....How can Conway or Earley be part of the new FAI.....they were/are part of the problem.
    Only reason they want to be where they are is to cover up the rest.......

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

https://twitter.com/marktigheST/status/1160469574510362629

Sunday Times News
    FAI latest - association is paying back €100,000 a month to Sports Direct after a sponsorship deal collapsed.
    Exclusive by @paulrowantree

Now the question has to asked again and this time very loud....How can Conway or Earley be part of the new FAI.....they were/are part of the problem.
    Only reason they want to be where they are is to cover up the rest.......

not much of a fuss from bar stoolers abt this -this is a disgrace

If Delaney suspended by UEFA sounds like even they're tiptoeing away from the trainwreck of the FAI. Suddenly Conway's mutterings a few weeks ago about dire consequences seem a little more lame.

• Advertisement
Advertisement