Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Delaney at the FAI Thread - (Mod Notes in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Is he still getting paid for a job he's not doing, by an organisation that he helped bankrupt?

I'd love if the Gardai could nab him on something.

I mean that FAI 'data hack' is the biggest sh1tshow ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

AGS don’t investigate white collar crime.

Wouldn’t suit their political masters.

Delaney on gardening leave last I heard which would mean he’s still getting paid.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't see how they can't not pay him until all the reviews are complete.

When it comes to employment law everything has to be done by the book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I don't see how they can't not pay him until all the reviews are complete.

When it comes to employment law everything has to be done by the book.

Yeah fair enough. But it certainly is morally wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Zebra3 wrote: »
    AGS don’t investigate white collar crime.

Wouldn’t suit their political masters.

Delaney on gardening leave last I heard which would mean he’s still getting paid.

Suspended on full pay would be the most appropriate term. Gardening leave is a separate type of leave.
    While I can appreciate the time it may take for due process to ensure that Delaney's removal from the post is legally sound, we are now 5 months down the line from the initial reports. It seems as if the FAI are almost insolvent and have not been keeping correct records for years. These alone would surely be enough to fire a person on gross misconduct grounds in almost any other organisation one would think especially when you take into account the lies that have been told about the organisations solvency as recently as the turn of the year.
    Supposedly this guy cares about soccer yet has happily sucked at least 150k out of it for the past 5 months while doing absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

kippy wrote: »
    Suspended on full pay would be the most appropriate term. Gardening leave is a separate type of leave.
    While I can appreciate the time it may take for due process to ensure that Delaney's removal from the post is legally sound, we are now 5 months down the line from the initial reports. It seems as if the FAI are almost insolvent and have not been keeping correct records for years. These alone would surely be enough to fire a person on gross misconduct grounds in almost any other organisation one would think especially when you take into account the lies that have been told about the organisations solvency as recently as the turn of the year.
    Supposedly this guy cares about soccer yet has happily sucked at least 150k out of it for the past 5 months while doing absolutely nothing.

This is no longer about sacking JD soundly. Its about protecting the board members who were signing off all the sh1te he was getting away with. Conway and co are only there to protect themselves and their mates. JD will fall, its the others who want to be kept out of it thats important now.

kippy wrote: »

I’ve used the term gardening leave because it’s the one that’s been bandied about.

I haven’t seen anywhere that he’s been suspended by the FAI. I wish it was the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

It'll be interesting to see how all this will affect sponsorship renewals.

I did some googling around on the Three deal and it seems like it might be up sometime late next year. Its not clear if its til the end of 2020 or just as far as Euro 2020. I expect that this stuff will still be rumbling on well into next year (and JD getting paid the whole time too).

It'd be great if sponsors started to put a bit more pressure on the FAI to clean up their act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Umaro wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see how all this will affect sponsorship renewals.

I did some googling around on the Three deal and it seems like it might be up sometime late next year. Its not clear if its til the end of 2020 or just as far as Euro 2020. I expect that this stuff will still be rumbling on well into next year (and JD getting paid the whole time too).

It'd be great if sponsors started to put a bit more pressure on the FAI to clean up their act.

Especially after what went on with Sports Direct which has lead to the FAI paying back €100k a month until they've paid back Sports Direct.

• Advertisement

These companies have no loyalties to the FAI or anyone else involved at any level in Irish football.

They get involved because it's good for their business.

Some will step away from the FAI, others will see it as a chance to renew their deal at a lower cost to themselves.

They certainly won't be putting pressure on the FAI on behalf of the fans.

Lads dont look too much or expect too much from out sponsors...

JACC Sports need the FAI as they would be their biggest sales partner. They also run the FAI online shop......owner is a personal friend of JD or at least he used to be happy to tell people he was.

3, Aviva etc. wont react unless they lose custom in huge numbers. As that hasnt happened in 5 months they will stay on board and drive the price with FAI.

What we shouldnt forget is that the FAI has been run as a boys club, sponsors, clubs, investors, board members, committee members, politicians....., JD would have done (dirty) deals with or looked after all of these people in the past and they know he has the chance to start naming and shaming. They will all now pull together with Conway and hope the problem goes away.

Here we go again....Another great Sundays reading ahead thanks to Mark and the Sunday Times:

https://twitter.com/marktigheST/status/1165331706276130817

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

So this Con Martin bloke has sold the concept of the Johnny Giles foundation to the FAI for 300k? The whole thing makes no sense at all. Golf classics are hardly a new concept, either is pooling together to get a discount.

Is John Delaney still on full pay from the FAI? Is there any suggestion that Giles is tied up in this, or is he just unlucky that it's his name been used?

So this Con Martin bloke has sold the concept of the Johnny Giles foundation to the FAI for 300k? The whole thing makes no sense at all. Golf classics are hardly a new concept, either is pooling together to get a discount.

Is John Delaney still on full pay from the FAI? Is there any suggestion that Giles is tied up in this, or is he just unlucky that it's his name been used?

JD is on gardening leave; means in a normal world that he is being paid and not working.

Gile defended him when this all broke....

Big question is, what or who was on Con Martins payroll. Anyone close to JD or other FAI board members...??

• Advertisement

JD is on gardening leave; means in a normal world that he is being paid and not working.

Gile defended him when this all broke....

Big question is, what or who was on Con Martins payroll. Anyone close to JD or other FAI board members...??

Does anybody know anything more about Con Martin? Does he have other business interests? Any other involvement with the FAI?

Is Delaney still pulling the strings in the background?

The whole thing is a farce, and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight.

I'd expect that Giles was making a few quid from licensing his name to the FAI, but not involved in the business decisions. That said, there's probably not many journalists that have the appetite to go after him. If I'm being cynical it was good for his image to be involved in something that appears to be a charity that helps working class kids, and it keeps him relevant after RTE retired him.

The Foundation itself looks to be a bit of a scam operated by the FAI:
    - gives off a vibe that it's a charity but actually isn't
    - clubs that fundraised for it never saw any of the money
    - apparently they've paid 300k for the "concept" of sponsored walks and golf classics
    - in some years they paid more to this Con Martin guy than the Foundation actually raised!
    - zero transparency on where the money goes
    - somehow sold the concept to UEFA even though they didn't own it!

It's like anything the FAI is involved in: looks good on the surface but once you get into the substance of it you start to see major issues with finances, no governance, disorganised and people with no role getting paid generously.

They remind me of that crowd Rehab and Angela Kerins. They sold €3.4m in scratch cards and made a profit of €468, meanwhile the board is raking in bonuses on top of 6-figure salaries. Absolutely insane business practices that were being covered by government funding. A little bit of digging and it all falls apart.

I'd expect that Giles was making a few quid from licensing his name to the FAI, but not involved in the business decisions. That said, there's probably not many journalists that have the appetite to go after him. If I'm being cynical it was good for his image to be involved in something that appears to be a charity that helps working class kids, and it keeps him relevant after RTE retired him.

The Foundation itself looks to be a bit of a scam operated by the FAI:
    - gives off a vibe that it's a charity but actually isn't
    - clubs that fundraised for it never saw any of the money
    - apparently they've paid 300k for the "concept" of sponsored walks and golf classics
    - in some years they paid more to this Con Martin guy than the Foundation actually raised!
    - zero transparency on where the money goes
    - somehow sold the concept to UEFA even though they didn't own it!

It's like anything the FAI is involved in: looks good on the surface but once you get into the substance of it you start to see major issues with finances, no governance, disorganised and people with no role getting paid generously.

They remind me of that crowd Rehab and Angela Kerins. They sold €3.4m in scratch cards and made a profit of €468, meanwhile the board is raking in bonuses on top of 6-figure salaries. Absolutely insane business practices that were being covered by government funding. A little bit of digging and it all falls apart.

Giles claimed in April that he has never received a penny from it, nor does he want to - that's a big statement,especially if its found to be false.

It's a registered trust and not a charity, from what I can tell, that means it doesn't need to file any accounts.

Surely in this day and age we can trace the money, is it still in Con Martins account or was moved on?

Does anybody know anything more about Con Martin? Does he have other business interests? Any other involvement with the FAI?

Is Delaney still pulling the strings in the background?

The whole thing is a farce, and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight.

Dont know anything personally but the first question I asked myself was is he the son or newphew of the late Con Martin and former Irish international??

All we know is that he is a former LOI player who is close to the FAI and/or Jon Giles

I would be very suprised if he was but I wouldnt bet my house on Conway and co. still having contact to him in the background. Funny is that Conway was always at the board meetings where things went past the FAI board but claims to know nothing. Doesnt sit right with me.

It will never end, until the FAI is disbanded as we know it today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Giles was quizzed on OTB a few months ago on his foundation

I remember thinking he seemed

Extremely nervous
    Unsure of the facts
    lots of half answered questions and
    Desperate to distance himself from Delaney

Presume the podcast is still available if you look

• Advertisement

Extremely nervous
    Unsure of the facts

Newstalk played it this morning or last night. He did seem a little nervous. He is a bit doddery the last few years anyway, so it's hard to tell. He was insistent that the FAI look after it because he wouldn't know how to run a trust, left school at 14 etc.

Essentially his take was, it has his name and he turns up to functions, and that's about it.

Giles claimed in April that he has never received a penny from it, nor does he want to - that's a big statement,especially if its found to be false.

I read an article about that earlier, I think he was on the Off The Ball podcast. He says he never received money or took money out of the Foundation. That's fair enough and I'd say he's telling the truth.

However I do think he was probably receiving something directly from the FAI for their use of his name and image. I mean, the bloke who came up with the idea of the John Giles Foundation was getting €5k a month from the FAI. It wouldn't be unreasonable to think some of this goes to Giles, or that he was also getting a fee.

I read an article about that earlier, I think he was on the Off The Ball podcast. He says he never received money or took money out of the Foundation. That's fair enough and I'd say he's telling the truth.

However I do think he was probably receiving something directly from the FAI for their use of his name and image. I mean, the bloke who came up with the idea of the John Giles Foundation was getting €5k a month from the FAI. It wouldn't be unreasonable to think some of this goes to Giles, or that he was also getting a fee.

Going by Giles....I would suspect 1 of 2 things was happening...
    1. He was really getting nothing for his name and JD etc. used him
    2. He was being paid by Con Martin...hence him saying he never got money from the FAI...he got it from Martin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It's basic common sense after all of the charity scandals over the years for somebody to put their name to the charity and keep a good eye on its goings on.

It doesn't take an accountant for somebody to look at the general accounts and look at things like 300k to Con Martin for little reason or Nadia Forde being flown in to dance with John Delaney.

Giles has fronted a sham organisation. He has to take responsibility for it.

Anyone on the FAI board who knew of this or who signed off on accounts without checking them needs to be gotten rid of straight away.

Guards need to be in there looking all over the place for fraud.

But, yeah, right.....

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

300k for coming up with the idea of a sponsored walk and golf classics.

~100k for winning the LOI?

The FAI seem genuinely incompetent (or worse), like it’s run by lads who have their position through influence or time served rather than having any sort of notion of what they’re supposed to be doing.

It was also in the Times today that Delaney offered to walk if he was paid up. Some brass neck on that chancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭blackwave

The fact that the Giles Foundation was not registered as a charity or even a company stinks for me. It was doing fundraising but there is no real accounting of where the money ended up which is worrying, more than likely it ended up in the back pockets of a few suits at the FAI.

The slow drip of information here is great as it keeps the pressure on the FAI once again kudos have to go to Mark Tighe and The Times for investigative journalism that they are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

any one ever got funding from the giles foundation? https://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/john-giles-launches-the-%E2%80%98walk-of-dreams%E2%80%99

on heres the 2011 list https://www.extratime.ie/articles/6526/john-giles-foundation-grants-announced/

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/fai-paid-john-giles-s-pal-300-000-for-foundation-and-walk-idea-t8fcvf2xc
    While it reported raising €360,000 in 2011, this dropped to €60,000 in 2012, after many football clubs refused to get involved as the foundation was keeping half the money raised to distribute to other clubs and applicants.
    seems like the football clubs arnt as charitable minded as johnny giles

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Seems the PSNI have arrested an IFA member in connection with an alleged fraud at the organisation...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/irish-football-association-staff-member-arrested-over-alleged-fraud-1.3996693

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Conway never showed up at the FAI Cup Draw this morning.

Yesterday must have got to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

What night is Giles on Newstalk?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

What night is Giles on Newstalk?
    Thursday around 7:30 usually

Conway never showed up at the FAI Cup Draw this morning.

Yesterday must have got to him

Or he is following the great leaders media policy....stay away from quesitions from the big bad journalists. Funny how a couple of weeks ago he wanted transparency....now he is in hiding.

Will be interesting to see how the FAI react if fans take banners etc. to the next home game....Conway wouldnt stand in the way of peacful protest was his words or not???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He can't say anything yet until all the reports are done.

We mightn't like it but that's the way the law is, and considering how litigious Delaney is that's a good policy to have. One of the stories in the Times on the weekend was that Delaney had his legal team put pressure on a media outlet, I think it was The Journal, even though he himself admitted they didn't have much of a case but he thought it'd keep them quiet!!

If Conway comes out and says anything negative about Delaney before the reports are done and all the legal aspects are completed Delaney can take him and the FAI to court and he will win. Not following procedure in relation to employment law is a massive no no and people can get a lot of money out of it, even if the company was quite right to fire them.

We mightn't like it but that's the way the law is, and considering how litigious Delaney is that's a good policy to have. One of the stories in the Times on the weekend was that Delaney had his legal team put pressure on a media outlet, I think it was The Journal, even though he himself admitted they didn't have much of a case but he thought it'd keep them quiet!!

If Conway comes out and says anything negative about Delaney before the reports are done and all the legal aspects are completed Delaney can take him and the FAI to court and he will win. Not following procedure in relation to employment law is a massive no no and people can get a lot of money out of it, even if the company was quite right to fire them.

I fully accept Conways situation re JD legally, my problem is however that he aided over many years the man he is now trying to hang. It all has an slight smell to it......."I didnt know what he was doing so I didnt aid or help him in any way. I am innocent, only have the interests of the FAI at heart"....ignorance and failing to do your job as a director of the FAI are a good enough reason to walk away. He is hanging in their and is sitting in all major committees, my question is very simple....what is he trying to do??
    1. Ensure that no more dirty details come out...he is FAI-ling.
    2. Trying to make good what he has done wrong over the years....improve his image???

Simple fact remains....he is part of the problem....as are/were all other board members. Remove them all, put an interm board in place and carry out full forensic audits of the FAI and its licencing of the LOI. At the end a 100% transparent independent report start afresh and put policies in place to prevent such a scandal happening again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Johnny can get quite ratty when it suits him so I’d say he will either not do his slot on Thurs night or else demand that certain issues are not raised.

Don’t forget as well his advisor in chief going back donkeys years is eamo dunphy.

https://twitter.com/OCowzer/status/1165892404181909504

The new FAI looking very like the old FAI...change my backside.

But any half decent employer doesn't hide until an investigation is over, he could easily come out and say very firmly that matters are the subject of an investigation and he will not take any questions that might prejudice that process. And he could clarify certain aspects, like how long more the process might take, without prejudicing it.

But any half decent employer doesn't hide until an investigation is over, he could easily come out and say very firmly that matters are the subject of an investigation and he will not take any questions that might prejudice that process. And he could clarify certain aspects, like how long more the process might take, without prejudicing it.

Add to that no professional group would keep a board member in any position of power when it has already been proved that he doesnt seem to have been doing his job correctly and internal investigations are in place to expose potential fraud amongst other things. As a board member he should have been at least signing off end of year accounts over 10 years and as a result should have been in a positon much earlier to ask questions regarding:
    1. Credit card payments
    2. Loans into the LOI and reasons for them
    3. €100,000 monthly payments to Sports Direct
    4. Amendments made to senior management contracts
    5. €5.000 a month to Con Martin
    6. 50th Birthday parties financed by FAI cash
    The list goes on.....

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It was joe.ie I think.

Delaney had a weak case but kept it alive so that they wouldn't write any negative articles about the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

awec wrote: »
    It was joe.ie I think.

Delaney had a weak case but kept it alive so that they wouldn't write any negative articles about the FAI.
    it was thejournal, he got an apology from joe.ie

it was thejournal, he got an apology from joe.ie

Not only an apology but also some money.....where did that go I wonder?? The fact that he spoke about these things in a board meeting and the minutes are public makes Conway and co look even worse than they are.

Nice to see Dundalk and Cork chairmen state they support a new joint league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

https://twitter.com/OCowzer/status/1165892404181909504

The new FAI looking very like the old FAI...change my backside.

What with the FAI Cup draw? The FAI dont care enough about any of the domestic game to be bothered rigging a draw!!

Small stuff in the grand scheme of things but a chap that puts together Chrismas hampers had a significant amount ordered by the FAI at about €100 each. The FAI paid for the full order but a small number were delivered to the FAI to give out. The rest were delivered to non FAI associates and marked as from one person rather than the association, these small things all add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Extremely nervous
    Unsure of the facts

No he didnt. You liar.
    You dislike him but what you wrote there is not true.

He was not nervous and he said he didnt get any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Johnny can get quite ratty when it suits him so I’d say he will either not do his slot on Thurs night or else demand that certain issues are not raised.

Don’t forget as well his advisor in chief going back donkeys years is eamo dunphy.

The last sentence is just a nonsense.
    You are a spoofer

• Advertisement

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    No he didnt. You liar.
    You dislike him but what you wrote there is not true.

He was not nervous and he said he didnt get any money.

He definitely sounded a little nervous, as I said I'm a previous post, he's gone very doddery in the last few years. Struggles with any sort of facts such as players names. That's normal, but he was definitely a little more nervous in that interview.

I'm not for a second sayig he's corrupt, I wouldn't like my name being associated with that carry on, and I'd be nervous too if I was being quizzed about corruption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

He definitely sounded a little nervous, as I said I'm a previous post, he's gone very doddery in the last few years. Struggles with any sort of facts such as players names. That's normal, but he was definitely a little more nervous in that interview.

I'm not for a second sayig he's corrupt, I wouldn't like my name being associated with that carry on, and I'd be nervous too if I was being quizzed about corruption.

Well, it's not a great look for John Giles. Especially with him and Dunphy defending Delaney at the start of all this.
    Has anyone been listening to Dunphys podcast lately? Are they talking about the new information we've been getting or have they just dropped the subject since Delaney became indefensible?

In fairness to Giles, if he sounds unsure, hesitant and upset by developments...the man is 78.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Cienciano wrote: »
    Are they talking about the new information we've been getting or have they just dropped the subject since Delaney became indefensible?

Podcast hasn't touched Irish football in last few weeks. All the about the EPL, and you could probably summarise the last 2 or 3 with:

Dunphy: Liverpool are awesome. But City are still a bit better.
    Giles: OGS is out of his depth at MU, they should have got Poch
    Brady: New Arsenal attacking signings are good, but defence still a crock and Luiz has made that worse

Nothing about JD and the merry men

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Giles gave his name for the setting up of this and is probably regretting it.

Con Martin looking for intellectual rights on a sponsored walk event is nonsense and the notion that the FAI got 10m from UEFA by selling the concept is also nonsensical and crucially there's no acknowledgement from UEFA that they paid them anything for such a thing anyway. The usual smoke and daggers carry on as Bertie used to say from the FAI.

• Advertisement
Advertisement