Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Delaney at the FAI Thread - (Mod Notes in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    You are either John Delaney or you are trolling. It's pretty simple. How anyone could defend that slimey *****.

I wouldn't bother lads. He was asking the very same questions 7 months ago in another thread. Multiple people gave him excellent reasons why both the fai and john Delaney were not fit for purpose/incompetent. Now he's back asking the very same questions, without any answers himself. Bizarre stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I thought this guy had in his own words "given up" 3 days ago ?!
    Pretty evident his motive here iso just to get the last word in an online debate.
    So many contradiction laden povs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Journo on twitter telling YBIG, that they have hundreds of documents from FAI and there’s more to come on this story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Dots1982 wrote: »
    No point debating with you as you have incorrectly summarized my position.

Position: FAI employee....Head of Sec. maybe???

Too much HuHu Super - Glue when you are here here.. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Declan Rice taking the heat off of John for a few hours anyway :P

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Declan Rice taking the heat off of John for a few hours anyway :P

Is he still singing OhhAhh Paul McGrath??

But he cant deflect from Super JD....see the FAI offered to take the meeting with government ministers forward to the 3 April.

Must be affraid more will come out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uZD8HKVKneI

I hear they are blasting this loud out in Abbotstown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

I can see all the usual suspects are out defending Delaney as if their lives depend on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

disappointed with the cooment of An Taoiseach - tis a matter for the FAI to address. Pathetic

• Advertisement

I hope Delaney gets what is coming to him. Long overdue.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

disappointed with the cooment of An Taoiseach - tis a matter for the FAI to address. Pathetic.

What's he supposed to say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

disappointed with the cooment of An Taoiseach - tis a matter for the FAI to address. Pathetic

FIFA would step in straight away and issue a warning that a ban will be coming if the government gets involved in the FAI. Spain got a warning recently because a government official said the RFEF should elect a new President.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Fromvert wrote: »
    FIFA would step in straight away and issue a warning that a ban will be coming if the government gets involved in the FAI. Spain got a warning recently because a government official said the RFEF should elect a new President.

I suppose what he should have said was it was a matter for the FAI and the office of corporate enforcement/sport Ireland.
    Saying it was a matter for the FAI essentially infers that they be let at it.

FIFA would want to keep their own house in order, but that's an entirely separate matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Is he still singing OhhAhh Paul McGrath??

But he cant deflect from Super JD....see the FAI offered to take the meeting with government ministers forward to the 3 April.

Must be affraid more will come out.

How considerate of our John. Move the meeting forward and before the U17s Euro evening so now the committee can attend the free drinks evening. Such a nice gesture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

kippy wrote: »
    I suppose what he should have said was it was a matter for the FAI and the office of corporate enforcement/sport Ireland.
    Saying it was a matter for the FAI essentially infers that they be let at it.

FIFA would want to keep their own house in order, but that's an entirely separate matter.

FIFA cut the head off their snake about 4 years ago.

And how has that worked ?

Not only has his successor continued with Qatar 2022 but he is also pushing to make it a 48 team tournament.

How considerate of our John. Move the meeting forward and before the U17s Euro evening so now the committee can attend the free drinks evening. Such a nice gesture.

Affraid of what they might find with the seven extra days.....:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

[/b]

FIFA cut the head off their snake about 4 years ago.

And how has that worked ?

Not only has his successor continued with Qatar 2022 but he is also pushing to make it a 48 team tournament.
    Ah you're back.
    Are you suggesting that getting rid of the top man changed nothing for FIFA, so why get rid of the FAI top man?

FIFA didn't get their house in order as I've suggested. They got rid of a person who had become far too hot to handle. As I said they still have to get their house in order.

kippy wrote: »
    Ah you're back.
    Are you suggesting that getting rid of the top man changed nothing for FIFA, so why get rid of the FAI top man?

FIFA didn't get their house in order as I've suggested. They got rid of a person who had become far too hot to handle. As I said they still have to get their house in order.

But the very same applies to the FAI

They have to get their house in order, and it has never been in order.

I'm not against Delaney going, of his own will or being pushed, but I don't believe that getting rid of him is the magic bullet that many think it is, nor do I think his replacement will suddenly be doing the job for half the salary.

Plus there is very little evidence so far to suggest that they guy has done anything improper.
    Pissed people off yes, but nothing illegal.

Another poster posted a list of reasons why he should be sacked, most of the reasons were just gripes around ticket allocation.

Hardly a international season goes by here without some fans complaining about ticket allocation.
    Only a few days ago someone was giving out about the FAI giving away free tickets, it would not surprise me if the same poster would be giving out about the lack of cheap tickets to a high profile game later on in the campaign.

As I said before, if people want real change, stop going to the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Maybe the solution to fixing the problem that is the FAI and John Delaney is just to create an all Ireland team under the primary guidance of the IFA.

Like Fr Tod Umptious said, removing JD is probably not enough. The culture built up in the FAI is not going to just dissipate after he goes and I don't expect we would see any meaningful change.

If there was enough support for this type of move, the way to force it through would be to get the LOI teams to join the IFA for the upcoming season. Without the LOI, there can be no national team.

There would of course be problems for the LOI teams if they did this, such as how to handle entry to European competitions but if it meant a real improvement to their situations, such as prize money, marketing support and proper governance, maybe they could be convinced to push it through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

farna_boy wrote: »
    Maybe the solution to fixing the problem that is the FAI and John Delaney is just to create an all Ireland team under the primary guidance of the IFA.

Like Fr Tod Umptious said, removing JD is probably not enough. The culture built up in the FAI is not going to just dissipate after he goes and I don't expect we would see any meaningful change.

If there was enough support for this type of move, the way to force it through would be to get the LOI teams to join the IFA for the upcoming season. Without the LOI, there can be no national team.

There would of course be problems for the LOI teams if they did this, such as how to handle entry to European competitions but if it meant a real improvement to their situations, such as prize money, marketing support and proper governance, maybe they could be convinced to push it through.

I sincerely hope you're joking. I'd take ten John Delaneys over selling out to that shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Merge with the Irish league. A league whose players routinely miss European games because they're on holiday in Ibiza.

What a suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Without the LOI, there can be no national team.

Yep backbone of the team there :rolleyes:

Scrap the cap!

Yep backbone of the team there :rolleyes:

I think you misunderstood.

In order to have an international team a country needs a national league.

That's nuts on so many different levels.

I think you misunderstood.

In order to have an international team a country needs a national league.

They could declare a lower level league to be the national league. Wouldn't make any difference as the LOI has had practically zero input into the national team for decades anyway.

Scrap the cap!

They could declare a lower level league to be the national league. Wouldn't make any difference as the LOI has had practically zero input into the national team for decades anyway.

But nobody is saying anything about the LOI input to the national team,

The point that is being made is about the existence of a national league! i.e the LOI.

You're totally missing the point, again.

If all the clubs in the LOI premier withdrew, we'd still have a national league.

Scrap the cap!

If all the clubs in the LOI premier withdrew, we'd still have a national league.

Well they didn't say loi Premier did they they said loi so that's Premier and First division. In that scenario there is by definition of the remaining leagues no national league.

Edit:Actually even if just the Premier division teams pulled out and the first remained the FAI would still be in trouble with UEFA because you need to allow for promotion to the top national division.

• Advertisement

Probabley 5 or 6 of our team on Saturday will have came through the LOI.

No input in decades though

Mighty Gibraltar, tho.

Scrap the cap!

Mighty Gibraltar, tho.

You stated the LOI had no input in the National Team. Look at our squads lately, more and more players that came through LOI are in it .

You were proved wrong and came back with Mighty Gibraltar, tho! What has that got to do with anything ?

"Came through" as in ex, not current LOI players, is irrelevant.

Scrap the cap!

So do you think the likes of Coleman wouldn't be in the squad if it wasn't Gibraltar?

So these boys only turned good when they got on the magic plane? The training/games they got whilst playing LOI had nothing to do with their development as players?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Jack Byrne is current LOI. Graham Burke was LOI when he scored against the USA last year.

We are gone way off topic

Any chance that banner going the rounds on Twitter will get into the game tomorrow?

People like you are why football in this country is on its knees

Any chance that banner going the rounds on Twitter will get into the game tomorrow?

Doubt it.... wee Uhu Super Glue will have his agents out identifying the person in possession so that he can personally, unknown to Kim Don Jon of course, do body searches at the entrance to the ground to get it off the terraces.

• Advertisement

D14Rugby wrote: »
    People like you are why football in this country is on its knees

Scrap the cap!

Apparently there will be a big piece of FAI news post match.

RTE radio 1 mentioned a few tweets about it at HT.

Apparently there will be a big piece of FAI news post match.

RTE radio 1 mentioned a few tweets about it at HT.

Lots of rumours that this loan has opened a huge can of worms. In fairness, trying to block the story said as much anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

John to step down as chief executive of the FAI to focus more on his other job on the Executive Committee of UEFA.

Is my guess.

Of course this was always planed and has nothing to do with the news story of the last week

John to step down as chief executive of the FAI to focus more on his other job on the Executive Committee of UEFA.

Is my guess.

Of course this was always planed and has nothing to do with the news story of the last week

Moving to UEFA was always his exit plan anyway I'd reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Even if Delaney does go, there'll be another yes man in his place to keep up the status quo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The fact he beat so many better placed candidates to make it to the uefa gig was pretty weird too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

FAI statement at 9pm tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Alvaro Stale Waste

probably giving himself a new 20 year contract at treble his current wages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Or give Pat Hickey the gig.

• Advertisement
Advertisement