Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Delaney at the FAI Thread - (Mod Notes in OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Lads, companies/organisations/individuals have been dumping negative news on Friday & Saturday evenings since forever in order to skip part of the news cycle. This is nothing new.

Nobody is denying that. The problem lies in the fact that the FAI vowed to be more open, honest amd accountable then the pull this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I'm not showing sympathy for him, I'm revelling in it. He's lost it all. Now he's just a wealthy, lonely man.

He wont be lonley, hypergamy etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So no big story broke this morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Same old FAI I am affraid, nothing has changed except JD got a pay off and pension. Taking fans for fools......Conway said he wants a transparent FAI and change......What do they do......

1. Late on Sat. let the info out, ensure the Sunday papers cant react
    2. Hides the deal behind a NDA with JD
    3. Pays the man a payoff and pension, surely they have grounds to sack him with nothing*

*that is unless he is keeping his mouth shut on what the other board members have been up too, or better said what they havent been doing when pocketing from the FAI.

Affraid its not enough lads, these boys are not in it for the good of Irish football, they are in it for themselves and their egos. This was a chance for the FAI to show they want change, be transparent and give us details on the deal they have done, however they are hiding yet again.

joeguevara wrote: »
    Scrutiny of the Sunday papers? Because they hold so much importance in modern society. What scrutiny do you think the FAI wished to avoid as opposed to every radio station, Twitter, TV show, digital publication that will pick it up?

I know you're new to this conversation, and so you may have no idea of the role played by the Sunday Times. You also may have forgotten that the cracks first really appeared because Delaney sought to injunct the Sunday Times back in March, and lost. They didn't not seek injunctions against "every radio station, Twitter, TV show, digital publication" that you deem more relevant in modern society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

I'm not showing sympathy for him, I'm revelling in it. He's lost it all. Now he's just a wealthy, lonely man.

You seem to know a lot about him... How'd you know he got dumped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

He hasn't lost it all.

He's very wealthy. Wealthier than I'd imagine almost everyone who posts on this forum. I know you're not sticking up for him, but saying he has lost everything simply isn't true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

He can use his wealth to fly Nadia Forde in for a chat if he's lonely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I know people are probably thinking he got away with it but the man has lost everything despite his pay off

He won't be at Euro 2020 as "The Man". He may not be even able to attend at all.

He'll never get his dream of a job with UEFA/FIFA.

He'll never get a high profile Sports Administration Job ever again.

He has lost his model girlfriend, who dumped his ASAP when he got dropped.

He has lost his celebrity status.

He has bucket loads of cash but has lost all of his dreams.

Isn't he already in a UEFA gig?

I'm sure his bucket of cash will be of some consolation to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Good. We need to know the cost of this. Who knows what he got out of them in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Isn't he already in a UEFA gig?

I'm sure his bucket of cash will be of some consolation to him.

he wanted to have a more senior position, he is only on the board by virtue of position in the FAI which he no longer has

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

he wanted to have a more senior position, he is only on the board by virtue of position in the FAI which he no longer has

Does he definitely lose the UEFA gig now he is out of his national association or is there some way he can drift back in once the fuss does down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    Does he definitely lose the UEFA gig now he is out of his national association or is there some way he can drift back in once the fuss does down.
    another small country could give him the job as CEO of their FA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

.G. wrote: »
    He can use his wealth to fly Nadia Forde in for a chat if he's lonely.

I think her 6ft 6in husband might have something to say about that.

NIMAN wrote: »

For clarification.

is that...height?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

For clarification.

is that...height?

Haha

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Good. We need to know the cost of this. Who knows what he got out of them in the end.

The part that stinks is Conway.....
    He was in place when all this went on and is the very same man who would have been doing and signing off the deal with his former boss and friend. Then to come out and say we wont be commenting on it due to a NDA.....who does Conway think he is codding.

I will put my money on the results of the internal reports....It was all the fault of JD and the 2 board members who resigned, both touching 80, careers well over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

It's just a chat;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

For clarification.

is that...height?

6ft 6in of ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Young man.

What will he do now?

Suppose he has filtered enough to travel etc.

Not sure he can show his face on irish scene again.

He has kept out of actual shaming / media fairly well for once. No tv, photo of him leaving. I want my pep walk.

Unfortunate revenue haven't got him as of yet, we would get our day of him facing music.

We didnt know at time. But that hearing could be the last we see of him.

The strange thing about this was it was all in public view, the 50th, the girlfriend at work, the bizarre late late show, drunk on the job, fifa money, Olympics.

Strange years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

1 week before the forensic audit results. Must be something very damning in it. Can the DOCE go after him even though he has left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

irishgeo wrote: »
    1 week before the forensic audit results. Must be something very damning in it. Can the DOCE go after him even though he has left?

Well, he previously refused to answer any questions relating to his role as CEO as he had switched to the newly created vice-chief role or whatever it was called. So I'm thinking he thinks he can get away with it because he thinks he is no longer 'responsible' for any of his actions as CEO.

Also, ODCE seems far too toothless. After the big crash there were some serious hi-jinks exposed by various shady businessmen, and they all seem to avoid receiving anything like a serious punishment. There would be big stuff like holding on to employee's social insurance payments that would be just be waved off with a shrug more or less. I'm not holding out any hope in this case.

Interesting in all of this, did he sign a deal to become Vice Cheif Exec., did they accept/get his resignation from position as CEO or was it only talk to keep fans happy?? If changed jobs, surely he would be on a much lower salary and incentives. Affraid it looks again as if Conway and the board of the FAI turned a blind eye and let him rule the roost. Yes Conway the very man who should be implimenting change and showing a new side of the FAI.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Interesting in all of this, did he sign a deal to become Vice Cheif Exec., did they accept/get his resignation from position as CEO or was it only talk to keep fans happy?? If changed jobs, surely he would be on a much lower salary and incentives. Affraid it looks again as if Conway and the board of the FAI turned a blind eye and let him rule the roost. Yes Conway the very man who should be implimenting change and showing a new side of the FAI.....

Have you actually read any of the news reports about this since March????

Mark Tighe was on the last word.He was saying FAI were under a bit of pressure to get this sorted,sponsors and UEFA wanted it wrapped up.
    They also were advised about it ending up court where they could lose and possibly have it drag on for years.

Seems both sides were happy for it to be settled now with a 350k payout.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Mark Tighe was on the last word.He was saying FAI were under a bit of pressure to get this sorted,sponsors and UEFA wanted it wrapped up.
    They also were advised about it ending up court where they could lose and possibly have it drag on for years.

1. Board not doing their jobs and letting JD run it as a 1 man show. Now they are protecting themselves....
    2. Getting him out of the way before questions arise about the findings of investigations. He doesnt have to co-operate any more...not on the payroll.
    3. Going to court would have exposed the inside running of the FAI and the lack of work done by the board. Would also leave some of them open to investigation...they signed off books which auditors say were not present/acceptable.

4. FAI/UEFA image suffering...

The list goes on.....all of the above are also legit reasons to have it all done and dusted. Personally feel its a smart move by JD and his mate Conway.....hallmarks of the old FAI...not much new at the moment.

With Paul Cooke involved I really dont think he would let it all be wrapped up just to suit JD.

It could very easily be a case it was the best option.

At least he is gone now,hopefully plenty more to fallow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

yabadabado wrote: »

Is that 350 k + pension?

• Advertisement

Is that 350 k + pension?

I'd guess so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Niall Quinn not positive about the future:

https://twitter.com/VMSportIE/status/1179440365323112448

Astonishing alleged quote from Conway on the FAI: "The two of us will be old and grey by the time it changes."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Astonishing alleged quote from Conway on the FAI: "The two of us will be old and grey by the time it changes."

Cue Conway coming out tomorrow saying he didn't say that at all etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Aren't they old and grey already? :confused:

Corholio wrote: »
    Cue Conway coming out tomorrow saying he didn't say that at all etc etc.

Conway will never play any problem solving the problem..he is/was part of it. Be sure he is only there to make sure the gravy train keeps moving for the people supporting him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Not a huge Shane Ross fan but that article is brilliant. FAI hasn't changed a bit, the government needs to stand on its throat for a bit longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Umaro wrote: »
    Not a huge Shane Ross fan but that article is brilliant. FAI hasn't changed a bit, the government needs to stand on its throat for a bit longer.

Firstly Shane Ross is as corrupt as can be....have a look at his record of denying any government aid to public schools or sports clubs in his constituency but paying for a hockey pitch for private school Wesley who has better sports facilities than anywhere else. Or as transport minister completely distanced himself from the new bus routes saying it was nothing to do with him even though he signed off on the whole thing.

You say that the government needs to stand on the throat of the FAI. The government is the issue and is as corrupt as any semi state. Do you think the public would have any faith in them being a watch dog especially with gatekeepers like Ross.

The FAI has to rid itself of the past. But it has to do so legally. Delaney was an employee and if shafted would have taken them for millions. Bit late now Ross writing hyperbole.

The FAI will get there. The team is getting better and the last thing it needs is politicians interfering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Firstly Shane Ross is as corrupt as can be....have a look at his record of denying any government aid to public schools or sports clubs in his constituency but paying for a hockey pitch for private school Wesley who has better sports facilities than anywhere else. Or as transport minister completely distanced himself from the new bus routes saying it was nothing to do with him even though he signed off on the whole thing.

You say that the government needs to stand on the throat of the FAI. The government is the issue and is as corrupt as any semi state. Do you think the public would have any faith in them being a watch dog especially with gatekeepers like Ross.

The FAI has to rid itself of the past. But it has to do so legally. Delaney was an employee and if shafted would have taken them for millions. Bit late now Ross writing hyperbole.

The FAI will get there. The team is getting better and the last thing it needs is politicians interfering.
    it will ya. its exactly what it needed the more pressure they are put under the better they rid all the cancer within the sham of an organization. The same way government pressure got sports ireland's act together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

JD maybe an employee but if he broke the rules or the law . The could have got rid of him via a staff discipline procedure. Not just throw money at him.

1. You say Shane Ross is corrupt, but the examples you cite involve favouritism, not corruption. I can't stand the guy, but because he always seemed like a smug runt, not because I think he committed crimes.

2. You surely know huge grants have gone to public schools and sports clubs in his constituency, like Kilmacud Crokes. The Wesley grant was ridiculous...but did you actually think it was the only grant his constituency got?

3. The FAI and Delaney will get there and the last thing they need is interference? I'd say the exact opposite is obviously from events to date. Remember the FAI and Delaney sought to quash the story and time and again have shown they want to go nowhere, such as Conway's u turn on holding onto power. The one thing that keeps coming back, the one thing that is forcing their hand, is the cessation of Sports Ireland funding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

no, it's pretty clear that the FAI are the issue. Delaney may technically have been an employee but he was the FAI. no employee would have been able to get away with that kind of spending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Everyone has the opportunity to vote for a politician. John Delaney was the self appointed demigod of Irish football.

Giving himself a made up position was the most transparent abuse of power one could do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

1. You say Shane Ross is corrupt, but the examples you cite involve favouritism, not corruption. I can't stand the guy, but because he always seemed like a smug runt, not because I think he committed crimes.

2. You surely know huge grants have gone to public schools and sports clubs in his constituency, like Kilmacud Crokes. The Wesley grant was ridiculous...but did you actually think it was the only grant his constituency got?

3. The FAI and Delaney will get there and the last thing they need is interference? I'd say the exact opposite is obviously from events to date. Remember the FAI and Delaney sought to quash the story and time and again have shown they want to go nowhere, such as Conway's u turn on holding onto power. The one thing that keeps coming back, the one thing that is forcing their hand, is the cessation of Sports Ireland funding.

Listen you are bang on and my dislike for the guy probably influenced my post. But one thing that I have to ask is why mention his constituency. As a minister he should be agnostic to constituency and parochial politics.

The Wesley Grant is beyond reproach and while you called it favouritism, I believe is more sinister. I want to make it clear that I have nothing against fee paying schools and for the interests of transparency should disclose I went to one myself (worst 5 years of my life) but that Grant and a similar one for Loretto Beaufort were initially rejected but granted on appleal after Ross involvement. That money could have been a godsend to clubs where they don't have basic facilities such as balls, jerseys clubhouses etc. To me favouritism to the detriment of deserving clubs is a breach of office how can someone like that then act pious in his article on Delaney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Everyone has the opportunity to vote for a politician. John Delaney was the self appointed demigod of Irish football.

Giving himself a made up position was the most transparent abuse of power one could do.

Delaney didn't appoint himself, he was voted in by the members according to the rules. He was loved by the grass roots

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/0413/1042444-john-delaney-fai-force-for-change-reform/

This fact seems oft forgotten.

• Advertisement

Listen you are bang on and my dislike for the guy probably influenced my post. But one thing that I have to ask is why mention his constituency. As a minister he should be agnostic to constituency and parochial politics.

The Wesley Grant is beyond reproach and while you called it favouritism, I believe is more sinister
    . I want to make it clear that I have nothing against fee paying schools and for the interests of transparency should disclose I went to one myself (worst 5 years of my life) but that Grant and a similar one for Loretto Beaufort were initially rejected but granted on appleal after Ross involvement. That money could have been a godsend to clubs where they don't have basic facilities such as balls, jerseys clubhouses etc. To me favouritism to the detriment of deserving clubs is a breach of office how can someone like that then act pious in his article on Delaney

How can it be both beyond reproach and sinister at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Delaney didn't appoint himself, he was voted in by the members according to the rules. He was loved by the grass roots

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/0413/1042444-john-delaney-fai-force-for-change-reform/

what the fact that his old man and his lackies got him in will ya stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

You're drowning man, give it up will you.

secman wrote: »
    You're drowning man, give it up will you.

What do ya mean give up? If you look at the link you'll see he was called a legend by a delegate.

We even had a full house for the last international at the Aviva. If that's not a vote of confidence in the FAI...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

What do ya mean give up? If you look at the link you'll see he was called a legend by a delegate.

We even had a full house for the last international at the Aviva. If that's not a vote of confidence in the FAI...

no there wasn't. there were hundreds of empty seats in the section where i used to have my season ticket. only really noticed it because my old seats were empty, even though the fai ticket office told me that they were gone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement