Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Delaney at the FAI Thread - (Mod Notes in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

sugarman wrote: »

Covering up to make themselves look better. Nothing has nor will change happen anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Quandary

sugarman wrote: »
    Covering up to make themselves look better. Nothing has nor will change happen anytime soon.

Sport Ireland should just continue to withhold funding if the FAI sre still trying to hide information.

What a morally bankrupt organisation it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

What do ya mean give up? If you look at the link you'll see he was called a legend by a delegate.

We even had a full house for the last international at the Aviva. If that's not a vote of confidence in the FAI...

Last international at Lansdowne was against Bulgaria.

Half full at best.

Last competitive v Switzerland at Lansdowne was announced as 44,000ish. That's 7,000 unsold seats.

And in no way is that crowd a vote of confidence in the parasites in the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

He was loved by the grass roots

Ha ha ha ha ha ha :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Ha ha ha ha ha ha :pac::pac::pac:

Some people did love him and.would still back him to a hilt.Usually people who he was throwing a few scraps to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

yabadabado wrote: »
    Some people did love him and.would still back him to a hilt.Usually people who he was throwing a few scraps to.

Indeed, plenty of them on this thread. Have a look back at some of the posts in march or April, unless the posters have deleted them since.

Delaney didn't appoint himself, he was voted in by the members according to the rules. He was loved by the grass roots

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/0413/1042444-john-delaney-fai-force-for-change-reform/

This fact seems oft forgotten.

I think that's a fair assessment, have seen him attend functions for clubs and he used to steal the show, handing out cheques, tickets for matches, signed jerseys etc. He was very astute at holding on to power, it was almost Haughey-esque, never mind the media or the chattering classes, just keep the rank and file onside. Every time he was in trouble it was the regional organisations and the clubs at county level that rallied round, even when the writing was on the wall earlier this year the media still carried statements of support from that level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think that's a fair assessment, have seen him attend functions for clubs and he used to steal the show, handing out cheques, tickets for matches, signed jerseys etc. He was very astute at holding on to power, it was almost Haughey-esque, never mind the media or the chattering classes, just keep the rank and file onside. Every time he was in trouble it was the regional organisations and the clubs at county level that rallied round, even when the writing was on the wall earlier this year the media still carried statements of support from that level.

Yep, this is exactly why Delaney is popular with sections of Irish soccer.

He is seen as a man that gets things done.

The core business of any local sports club is basically grass.
    They don't care about tick allocations to Bulgaria, or singing sections in the stadium or how Brian Kerr was sacked.

All they really care about is their own facilities (and why won't they) and keeping a club going in their area.

And if running and growing a club was easier with Delaney as head of the FAI then those people are going to be in support of Delaney.

They don't care about tick allocations to Bulgaria, or singing sections in the stadium or how Brian Kerr was sacked.

All they really care about is their own facilities (and why won't they) and keeping a club going in their area.

And if running and growing a club was easier with Delaney as head of the FAI then those people are going to be in support of Delaney.

If these people only care about their own little fiefdom and don't give a damn about the wider development of the game or the FAI's finances, that's to their shame.

Some people thought Delaney was a great man handing out cheques and coming down to the club to open a new pitch etc. The same clubs would have gotten the money either way,JD was only using it as a photo op and to help him keep power.

In truth the clubs would have been in a much better place if JD had never gotten the job to begin with between the **** up with LR scheme and the alleged miss management of money.

• Advertisement

Has anyome contacted sponsors to show how happy they are with delaney?

Is there a template? (Ima too astoopid to write a email bya myselfs)

Hopefully it includes "john delaney is class and any product he endorses, whatever it costs, myself and my extended family will buy 10,000 each."

Maybe if we buy ****loads of sponsors stuff theyll stick by delaneys side

As the FAI is set for a revenue audit and confirm that the figures will shock people, Changer's campaign is more important than ever...

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/fais-audited-accounts-will-shock-20727143

You have to laugh at men like Conway talking about moving on, it's as if he thinks if he repeats it often enough we'll forget he was at the centre of the FAI for years, and Shane Ross will start writing cheques again.

Has anyome contacted sponsors to show how happy they are with delaney?

Is there a template? (Ima too astoopid to write a email bya myselfs)

Hopefully it includes "john delaney is class and any product he endorses, whatever it costs, myself and my extended family will buy 10,000 each."

Maybe if we buy ****loads of sponsors stuff theyll stick by delaneys side

As the FAI is set for a revenue audit and confirm that the figures will shock people, Chancer's campaign is more important than ever...

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/fais-audited-accounts-will-shock-20727143

You have to laugh at men like Conway talking about moving on, it's as if he thinks if he repeats it often enough we'll forget he was at the centre of the FAI for years, and Shane Ross will start writing cheques again.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Delaney wasn't a man for getting things done, he was a man for taking the credit after they were done.

Pity he didn't leave the FAI popular with the Revenue.

The mind boggles.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/mystery-of-fais-football-for-all-budget-38675607.html

It is reported that the Government were giving the FAI €212k per year to contribute to its funding disabled kids playing the game. This figure somehow became €80k when it came to the actual budget and handing it out.
    Another example of why NO FORMER BOARD MEMBER should be anywhere near the new FAI.

It’s the same with the UEFA solidarity payments for LOI clubs, money the clubs should get for underage structures, the FAI have never given actual figures or evidence for the funds paid by UEFA to the clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Disgusting behaviour, cretinous organisation in place

https://twitter.com/MikeTreacy/status/1193406353613570054

You gotta love this chairman.....FAI aint gonna keep him quiet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

The biggest issue with Irish football that I tried to bring into this debate months ago before giving up. The posters here didn’t want to hear it but now it has being picked up by Stephen Kenny in his latest interview...pretty much making the exact points I was making..

“At the moment there is criticism of the FAI and I think that we're saying corporate governance is why the FAI is not being funded by the government and so forth," said Kenny.

"But when there was a perception that there wasn't issues related to corporate governance, the funding was still wholly inadequate for stadia.

"We are in a very unique situation in Ireland where, for example, we are scrapping around for a small bit of money for Finn Harps for the last 10 years so they can move to Stranorlar.

"And yet in other sports, they have tens of millions of overruns. Not even costs, overruns. Tens of millions. And they are not even national scandal."

Kenny was asked if he was referring to the Páirc Uí Chaoimh project in Cork.

"Well, it's for me to say," he replied. "But football in Ireland has been hugely underfunded for a long time and there's no emphasis on stadium development. We are not going to improve overall because our stadiums are - compared to other European countries - a very poor standard."

The ex-Bohemians manager is frustrated by the planned 6,000 capacity for a renovated Dalymount Park, feeling the bar should be set higher for the Dublin City Council-funded groundshare between the Gypsies and Shelbourne.

"We must be more ambitious in how we think," he said. "I think that to be saying you can have it in 2025 (Dalymount should be finished before then) and you get a 6,000-seater and be ecstatic about that. For me... I find it quite deflating.

"There's a massive demand for a 12,000-seater for example, or a 15,000-seater or more. We need something in between the Aviva and the rest."

• Advertisement

Dots1982 wrote: »
    The biggest issue with Irish football that I tried to bring into this debate months ago before giving up. The posters here didn’t want to hear it but now it has being picked up by Stephen Kenny in his latest interview...pretty much making the exact points I was making..

“At the moment there is criticism of the FAI and I think that we're saying corporate governance is why the FAI is not being funded by the government and so forth," said Kenny.

"But when there was a perception that there wasn't issues related to corporate governance, the funding was still wholly inadequate for stadia.

"We are in a very unique situation in Ireland where, for example, we are scrapping around for a small bit of money for Finn Harps for the last 10 years so they can move to Stranorlar.

"And yet in other sports, they have tens of millions of overruns. Not even costs, overruns. Tens of millions. And they are not even national scandal."

"Well, it's for me to say," he replied. "But football in Ireland has been hugely underfunded for a long time and there's no emphasis on stadium development. We are not going to improve overall because our stadiums are - compared to other European countries - a very poor standard."

The ex-Bohemians manager is frustrated by the planned 6,000 capacity for a renovated Dalymount Park, feeling the bar should be set higher for the Dublin City Council-funded groundshare between the Gypsies and Shelbourne.

"We must be more ambitious in how we think," he said. "I think that to be saying you can have it in 2025 (Dalymount should be finished before then) and you get a 6,000-seater and be ecstatic about that. For me... I find it quite deflating.

"There's a massive demand for a 12,000-seater for example, or a 15,000-seater or more. We need something in between the Aviva and the rest."

Hears one for you....how about building a few grounds outside of Dublin at 6,000-8,000 capacity with expansion possiblities if needed (midlands and west for example), using tax payers money of course, with the condition that any club can use it free of charge when needed for bigger games and allowing it to be rented to non GAA clubs.

Neither Bohs or Shelbourne will fill a 12,000 or 15,000 seater on a regular basis so it is not needed at this moment in time. How often have Rovers filled Tallaght for a LOI game??? Time for the LOI clubs, councilors, government and everyone else to start opening their eyes.....facilities and funding are needed outside Dublin. Clubs have to be given appropriate prize money, TV money and grants.....only when a basis for all LOI clubs has been achieved will it make any sense to build anything let alone a 15,000 seater ground for 2 part time teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

John Giles: I gave FAI my rights for free — why did it pay someone else?

Former Ireland star baffled at football body’s decision to give a former friend €500,000 for foundation idea https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/john-giles-i-gave-fai-my-rights-for-free-why-did-it-pay-someone-else-jbtk9gnqk this Con Martin story still makes no sense.

Con Martin was using John Giles name for his golf classics for the ex-players trust fund which was to evolve into the giles foundation https://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/giles-golf-day-to-aid-trust-fund-for-exinternational-footballers-25982600.html but 500.000!!!!???

John Giles: I gave FAI my rights for free — why did it pay someone else?

Former Ireland star baffled at football body’s decision to give a former friend €500,000 for foundation idea https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/john-giles-i-gave-fai-my-rights-for-free-why-did-it-pay-someone-else-jbtk9gnqk this Con Martin story still makes no sense

We should not forget that the foundation has offically raised €700,000....so they paid more for it than it earned. Another example of money going missing.....

Also questions being raised in the papers to where the monies supposedly paid to JDs ex ended up....JDs payoff is looking more like a FAI internal cover up than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

We should not forget that the foundation has offically raised €700,000....so they paid more for it than it earned. Another example of money going missing.....

Also questions being raised in the papers to where the monies supposedly paid to JDs ex ended up....JDs payoff is looking more like a FAI internal cover up than anything else.
    500,000 is more then 700,000?

Audit queries FAI's ‘payment to John Delaney ex’

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/audit-queries-fai-s-payment-to-john-delaney-ex-6nnqbx989
    An audit of the Football Association of Ireland (FAI) has discovered at least some monies it paid out in the name of Susan Keegan, an ex-girlfriend of John Delaney, did not go into her bank account. It is not clear where the balance of the money went.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/audit-queries-fai-s-payment-to-john-delaney-ex-6nnqbx989

500,000 investment to earn 200,000.....would have expected it to be the other way around if I am honest. Would love to know how much Con put into the project to warrant the price. Questions have to be asked as it seems money was being withdrawn from the FAI at a rate of knots without anyone questioning where it was going and for what.

Shows once more that the FAI needs to be cleaned out. Not seeing things or playing the blind one doesnt make you innocent. Like kids believing if they dont say anything they are not telling lies.

It's not but it raises serious questions about Con Martin's/FAI role .
    It's not like it was some ground breaking idea,a ****in sponsored walk .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

500,000 investment to earn 200,000.....would have expected it to be the other way around if I am honest.
    Being pedantic, then they spent 500k to earn 700k

Dots1982 wrote: »

I missed this.
    You went completely dark on this thread after initially standing up big time for JD.
    You were standing up for JD - not making the points that Kenny is making above and to be fair to Kenny, the ONLY point he is making is that Soccer is underfunded.

What funding do sporting bodies get in Ireland ?
    What were FAI getting compared to GAA or rugby before all was withheld?

The facilities at most LoI grounds are poor but clubs have much bigger priorities than spending on upgrading their grounds.

Many clubs are basically living week to week.

A good friend of mine is involved in a LoI side ,some of the things he has told me about the lack of resources is unbelievable.
    They can barely keep the lights on or pay for basic stuff and he says they are far from a unique case.

Goodwill from creditors and a few people giving their own cash ties them over most seasons .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Minister for sport has given audit of accounts to Gardaí. It’s getting abit wild.

No edit he has said sport Ireland have given the report to the gardai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

What a beautiful day.

It's Ireland, folks.

Slap on the hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

Ah shure he was a grest shoccer man for Kerry according to Jackie Healy Rae. Shur he has a lovely nose to put bars in front of ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Funnily enough minister for sport wrote to gardai to promise his full support in whatever they chose.

Fair play to him. They probably thought they needed to make it go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Delaney in particular needs to be thoroughly investigated, i suspect there are huge irregularities over the years. People will talk with the prospect of jail time hovering over them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Guffy

Delaney in particular needs to be thoroughly investigated, i suspect there are huge irregularities over the years. People will talk with the prospect of jail time hovering over them

Surely he'll skip Ireland if he has anything to worry about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

has john Delaney been seen anywhere, where is he ?

would love if he was for door stepped by prime time.

By the way, has anything changed in the FAI , still amazing there are people in there who were around for all this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭Trampas

I presume the accounts are audited every year but how they never find anything and then things like this happens and they get away with it. What’s the point in having accounts audited

Is Conway still telling us he is innocent and is staying as he didnt know anything about what was going on???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Trampas wrote: »
    I presume the accounts are audited every year but how they never find anything and then things like this happens and they get away with it. What’s the point in having accounts audited

The way the fai was run, it was probably their mates who were auditing them, with an agreement made to 'find nothing untoward'.

• Advertisement

Is Conway still telling us he is innocent and is staying as he didnt know anything about what was going on???

This is it for me ,

how on earth is anyone still involved.

This is it for me ,

how on earth is anyone still involved.

Nothing has changed nor will it anytime soon with any of the old legion sailing the ship. They left 1 or 2 in power to try and cover things up and hide even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Both this case now, to add to the QIH investigations, are going to get very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Sweetness lads. I'm not going to get my hopes up of seeing Delaney in cuffs but well... I'm going to dream anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Surely the investigation won't take long if the forensic accountant has already done the work.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Surely the investigation won't take long if the forensic accountant has already done the work.

it will take yonks.

gathering their own evidence and interviews with all involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Hopefully we get smashed in the playoff so the focus isn't taken off this.

They also don't deserve the €10m+ in prize money for qualifying. If they all aren't going to jump ship I want to see it sink. We'll start again and be better for it.

irishgeo wrote: »

They will have to get them to speak first, remember the committee meeting. FAI board members current and past will walk in with laywers and say nothing. Sure isnt that why Conway is still where he is.....He didnt see anything so he cannot say anything.....none of this his fault.

They will have to get them to speak first, remember the committee meeting. FAI board members current and past will walk in with laywers and say nothing. Sure isnt that why Conway is still where he is.....He didnt see anything so he cannot say anything.....none of this his fault.

an investigation could take a year , and to be honest , you get a sense the Garda are on a go slow the last while.

Is white collar crime a priority with gangland and subversive stuff going on.

it isn't.

The minister is more interested in daft driving laws and fines.

• Advertisement

Trampas wrote: »

Iirc the firm that audited the accounts did them for years and there was no mention of the bridging loan in any set accounts.
    If it was for the court case/failed injunction JD would still be running the show.

Advertisement