Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Delaney at the FAI Thread - (Mod Notes in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

5k for a ten year ticket isnt bad especially for businesses. I'd like to know how many of the 10k they have sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Did you ever hear anyone say that JD was a good businessman?

Yes. Denis O Brien said on the documentary John The Baptist that he could run FIFA he is so capable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Yes. Denis O Brien said on the documentary John The Baptist that he could run FIFA he is so capable.

May have seen him as a good fit based on certain other "skillsets"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

A man who became wealthy by bribing a politician.

Someone who is/was a mate of some sort of Delaney's.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

We're near the end now. Once the money stops then there's nothing left...
    Further blow for FAI as Three Ireland opts not to renew sponsorship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We're near the end now. Once the money stops then there's nothing left...
    Further blow for FAI as Three Ireland opts not to renew sponsorship

great news

an end to those poxy looking jerseys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Love it....a new start with the right people is what is needed. Too many still trying to cover up and milk it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

great news

an end to those poxy looking jerseys

Fcuking hell, least of our bleeding worries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So the FAI lose their shirt sponsor and people are delighted.

You do know that the next sponsor will also want their logon on each replica shirt, and that the FAI will be in no position to argue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So the FAI lose their shirt sponsor and people are delighted.

You do know that the next sponsor will also want their logon on each replica shirt, and that the FAI will be in no position to argue.
    I don't think any self respecting company will want to sponsor the FAI until this has blown over.
    Without the vital funds from sponsorship and the state, there will be demands for proper governance and transparency to allow the money come in again.

I don't think any self respecting company will want to sponsor the FAI until this has blown over.
    Without the vital funds from sponsorship and the state, there will be demands for proper governance and transparency to allow the money come in again.

If the FAI collaspe and are replaced by a new body. Are they going to be saddled with the debt of 50 million the FAI have ran up? Or is that going to miraculously be paid off somehow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

next up is a betting company, they will have no other option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

irishgeo wrote: »

Wouldn't be surprised to see Paddy Power 'unsponsor' the national team, prob the best opportunity for them with the scandal and some companies if any, unwilling to pay up.

sugarman wrote: »
    Theyre no different than any other company, if they collapse they'd have to go into liquidation and have whatever assets sold off to pay its debts if they cant sort it out.

If they sell their 50 year lease for to the Aviva though, they should be alright. They'd get the cash up front to clear their debt, but will be left footing the bill for renting the Aviva for future use. It'll be like a remortage and Irish football will feel the effects of it for a long long time.

Indeed, just asked to see if there is awareness that’s what’s round the corner for football in Ireland is long long term pain. Seems scant awareness from seeing posts.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Indeed, just asked to see if there is awareness that’s what’s round the corner for football in Ireland is long long term pain. Seems scant awareness from seeing posts.

Something has to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

sugarman wrote: »
    Theyre no different than any other company, if they collapse they'd have to go into liquidation and have whatever assets sold off to pay its debts if they cant sort it out.

If they sell their 50 year lease for to the Aviva though, they should be alright. They'd get the cash up front to clear their debt, but will be left footing the bill for renting the Aviva for future use. It'll be like a remortage and Irish football will feel the effects of it for a long long time.

Without any real knowledge of it I’d suspect given the way the original deal was structured I would think the government got assurances from both sporting bodies that they wouldn’t be just sold on at any stage. The state paid the lions share and I’d say they have legal assurances about moving on the shares by each body. I’d be very surprised if the fai were even in a position to just sell their share unless it was to the irfu or possibly the state.

FAI selling off their stake in LR seems crazy.It will sort some issues short term but leave them homeless again with no real income.

Who would buy it?IRFU would seem the obvious choice but they should have plenty of money with their debt gone or almost and their 10 year tickets up for renewal again they would probably only pay a fraction of the 50 year leases worth.

Some private companies be interested in ?

yabadabado wrote: »
    FAI selling off their stake in LR seems crazy.It will sort some issues short term but leave them homeless again with no real income.

Who would buy it?IRFU would seem the obvious choice but they should have plenty of money with their debt gone or almost and their 10 year tickets up for renewal again they would probably only pay a fraction of the 50 year leases worth.

Some private companies be interested in ?

Probably only have two options, sell their stake in Aviva or absolutely huge staff layoffs.

I think no matter what happens there is going to be massive staff layoffs.
    Taking the cash for the Aviva but not downsizing the organisation is only kicking the can down the road.

Rumours going around that approximately 30 staff will need to go asap.

Some very good people working in FAI,the ordinary workers who already took cuts while JD and his cronies destroyed the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

How about lower staff wages and proper control of expenses? More transparency so they can access that SI funding again? Maybe with more transparency it'll be easier to get sponsors on board. The current brand is toxic.

The people in charge are the ones responsible for this mess. Let someone else come in and give it a go. Sure it'll cost money but why continue lining the pockets of people who's incompetence is clear for all to see?

FWIW, I don't see any change happening until the playoffs are over. If we make it to the Euros, I imagine they'll stay on and use the prize money to pñug the gaps for the time being.

• Advertisement

How about lower staff wages and proper control of expenses? More transparency so they can access that SI funding again? Maybe with more transparency it'll be easier to get sponsors on board. The current brand is toxic.

The people in charge are the ones responsible for this mess. Let someone else come in and give it a go. Sure it'll cost money but why continue lining the pockets of people who's incompetence is clear for all to see?

FWIW, I don't see any change happening until the playoffs are over. If we make it to the Euros, I imagine they'll stay on and use the prize money to pñug the gaps for the time being.

With a 50 million and rising debt, riding the rank and file FAI staff on wages, (who’ve already taken large cuts earlier this decade that was never restored) is pointless and cruel. Cutting Expenses Is probably already done but is also pointless given the scale of debt being discussed.

They’ll have to do something extreme to control the debt bomb. A few minor cuts just won’t do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Irfu might buy it completely and fai back to dalymount

Some staff in the FAI are on a little as about 25 grand a year.

Delaney was deeply loathed by many working for the FAI as him and his mates lived the high life while the gombeens around the country backed him up because he did the footballing equivalent of "fixing the road".

Irfu might buy it completely and fai back to dalymount

Ask Stephen Kenny to take a wage of 10% of what he’s earning currently and if he doesn’t accept; offer the senior job to Noel king on that wage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Dots1982 wrote: »
    With a 50 million and rising debt, riding the rank and file FAI staff on wages, (who’ve already taken large cuts earlier this decade that was never restored) is pointless and cruel. Cutting Expenses Is probably already done but is also pointless given the scale of debt being discussed.

They’ll have to do something extreme to control the debt bomb. A few minor cuts just won’t do anything.

And let's not forget why Irish football is in this hole now. People like yourself turning a blind eye to the sh*te these gangsters have been doing for years and blindly supporting 'the lads' on the pitch. If Irish fans had sense the likes of Delaney would have gotten the boot many years ago and Irish football would be in a much better place.

Ah but sure we qualified for the odd tournament and had a laugh so it's grand. G'wan ahead and destroy Irish football, John.

As a LOI fan I couldn't care what happens next. The FAI never supported the league, so if they disappear tomorrow it's not like we'll take much of a hit. We've been surviving without their help/assistance all this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

They could always get the begging buckets out for games at the Aviva, they could get a feel for what it feels like to be a LOI club at times.

Imagine if the reduce the prize money in the LOI and increase the fines.

Imagine if the reduce the prize money in the LOI and increase the fines.

That’s probably a given anyway.

Oat23 wrote: »
    And let's not forget why Irish football is in this hole now. People like yourself turning a blind eye to the sh*te these gangsters have been doing for years and blindly supporting 'the lads' on the pitch. If Irish fans had sense the likes of Delaney would have gotten the boot many years ago and Irish football would be in a much better place.

Ah but sure we qualified for the odd tournament and had a laugh so it's grand. G'wan ahead and destroy Irish football, John.

As a LOI fan I couldn't care what happens next. The FAI never supported the league, so if they disappear tomorrow it's not like we'll take much of a hit. We've been surviving without their help/assistance all this time.

While I don't have any time for the idiots who got their selfies taken with Delaney and gave him the appearance of some sort of celebrity, the real blame lies with all those in the various leagues and associations AND LoI clubs including fan owned clubs who backed the parasite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

The primary crime out of this is ordinary people on modest salaries potentially (most likely certainly) losing their jobs 3 weeks before Christmas all because of this greedy pig, and where is he now in all of this? the shameless bastard deserves to rot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

The primary crime out of this is ordinary people on modest salaries potentially (most likely certainly) losing their jobs 3 weeks before Christmas all because of this greedy pig, and where is he now in all of this? the shameless bastard deserves to rot.

I'd be sweating bullets if I was an FAI development officer. Not sure if it's all the officers but a lot of them are being part funded by local councils. All the ones in Limerick city were receiving half their salaries from the Regeneration crowd.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    While I don't have any time for the idiots who got their selfies taken with Delaney and gave him the appearance of some sort of celebrity, the real blame lies with all those in the various leagues and associations AND LoI clubs including fan owned clubs who backed the parasite.

While you're right about there being plenty of people in the junior ranks who deserve blame, fans are the ones who have the most power and too many Irish fans sat idle for too long. If any junior official tried to do anything they would be blackballed. That's the way they ran the association. I'm not giving those junior pr*cks a free pass as the majority were all Delaney loyalists, but I'm just saying that the few there who would be anti-Delaney could have done nothing.

The fans were the ones with the most power but hardly any cared. They might have thought Delaney was a tool but they still went to games, still bought merchandise and valued the Irish team managing to luck their way into the occasional final above all else. They've contributed massively to this sh*tshow due to their years of inaction.

I'd be sweating bullets if I was an FAI development officer. Not sure if it's all the officers but a lot of them are being part funded by local councils. All the ones in Limerick city were receiving half their salaries from the Regeneration crowd.

Same with DCC and Fingal afaik.
    While you're right about there being plenty of people in the junior ranks who deserve blame, fans are the ones who have the most power and too many Irish fans sat idle for too long. If any junior official tried to do anything they would be blackballed. That's the way they ran the association. I'm not giving those junior pr*cks a free pass as the majority were all Delaney loyalists, but I'm just saying that the few there who would be anti-Delaney could have done nothing.

The fans were the ones with the most power but hardly any cared. They might have thought Delaney was a tool but they still went to games, still bought merchandise and valued the Irish team managing to luck their way into the occasional final above all else. They've contributed massively to this sh*tshow due to their years of inaction.

And what did LoI fans do apart from a bit of chanting?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Same with DCC and Fingal afaik.

What could we do? Until the Scotland away ticket fiasco even the majority of the YBIG lads were all loving Delaney and co

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Do the IRFU even want to buy the FAIs share in Landsdowne Road?
    There's €30 million of stadium debt + €40 million that's been paid off so they'd have to saddle themselves with €70 million debt over 20 or 30 years.
    And for what? A stadium they already have full access to on a site which will eventually return to their full ownership anyway.

If the FAI can't pay their share the IRFU would just take ownership anyway. And pay off a reduced rate debt most likely with a healthy state grant and a few spare millions of their own.

Accounts not out tomorrow now, will be Friday.

11.30PM Probably

LOI fans are included in who I am talking about. There are plenty of LOI fans who have been supporting the NT/FAI all this time.

LOI fans make up a tiny percentage of national team fans though.

Accounts not out tomorrow now, will be Friday.

11.30PM Probably

What's the delay? Legal action?

Probably hoping to bury the release under a bigger story.

LOI fans are included in who I am talking about. There are plenty of LOI fans who have been supporting the NT/FAI all this time.

LOI fans make up a tiny percentage of national team fans though.

I know more people that go to Oriel who couldnt care less how Ireland do than and would never go near Aviva unless Dundalk were playing than do.

• Advertisement

Do the IRFU even want to buy the FAIs share in Landsdowne Road?
    There's €30 million of stadium debt + €40 million that's been paid off so they'd have to saddle themselves with €70 million debt over 20 or 30 years.
    And for what? A stadium they already have full access to on a site which will eventually return to their full ownership anyway.

If the FAI can't pay their share the IRFU would just take ownership anyway. And pay off a reduced rate debt most likely with a healthy state grant and a few spare millions of their own.

How would IRFU take ownership if the FAI cant pay their share ?
    Iirc the government put in the biggest cash amount to build it.I doubt they will be giving any more state aid towards it.

Iirc the government put in the biggest cash amount to build it.I doubt they will be giving any more state aid towards it.

The state certainly paid the lions share, I’d imagine though that the contracts tie up who can end up with it, I would be very surprised if the fai were allowed to just sell it and even more if they were able to use it as collateral on the loans. Fai basically owned half the lease/stadium company for 60 years and the state won’t have paid all that money without firm guarantees that all the money won’t be benefitting private firms.

salmocab wrote: »
    the state won’t have paid all that money without firm guarantees that all the money won’t be benefitting private firms.

:pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:

On the floor laughing at that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Straight forward really.

There are two teams in the country that LR is suitable for and they're currently joint owners of it.
    If the FAI default that would leave the IRFU/State as the only possible owners.
    They'd do a deal with the bank and the IRFU would own it outright and rent it back to the FAI. Possibly with state ownership for a few years. Its the national stadium but it really doesn't have any use to any other side outside of the FAI/IRFU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If the FAI defaulted on it, or even if they are forced to sell it, IRFU would pick it up cheaper than if the FAI were healthy.

Guaranteed rental income from the FAI themselves for X matches every year - banks would be happy to lend.

:pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:

On the floor laughing at that one.

Ah in fairness, they contributed the biggest lump of cash they surely didn’t do it in such a way that it could be just sold on without them getting some say or even their cash back. It’s a really complicated deal and I genuinely doubt that the fai are in a place that they could just sell off half of something they paid less than a quarter of. Whatever about the fai and even our governments the irfu were involved and they know what they are at, can’t see them being exposed too much to the fai ineptness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Do you reckon they delayed the accounts til Friday in the hopes it gets buried in the weekend news cycle?

salmocab wrote: »
    Ah in fairness, they contributed the biggest lump of cash they surely didn’t do it in such a way that it could be just sold on without them getting some say or even their cash back. It’s a really complicated deal and I genuinely doubt that the fai are in a place that they could just sell off half of something they paid less than a quarter of. Whatever about the fai and even our governments the irfu were involved and they know what they are at, can’t see them being exposed too much to the fai ineptness.

Would be unlikely, even sports capital funding for acquiring land usually comes with requirements that the Department of Finance become a trustee or some charge is registered on the title whereby they are a notice party to any transaction or their consent is required.

Umaro wrote: »
    Do you reckon they delayed the accounts til Friday in the hopes it gets buried in the weekend news cycle?

Not a hope it gets buried ,even the FAI arent that deluded.
    It will be front page news and most likely the major news item of the next few days.

Straight forward really.

There are two teams in the country that LR is suitable for and they're currently joint owners of it.
    If the FAI default that would leave the IRFU/State as the only possible owners.
    They'd do a deal with the bank and the IRFU would own it outright and rent it back to the FAI. Possibly with state ownership for a few years. Its the national stadium but it really doesn't have any use to any other side outside of the FAI/IRFU.

That's fair enough, your original post made it sound like it would be nearly be handed over to IRFU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

So the accounts to be released tomorrow evening to ensure they dont make the front pages on Saturday??? Maybe another delay and then too late for Sunday also....

• Advertisement
Advertisement