Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Delaney at the FAI Thread - (Mod Notes in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

First time I have ever pre-ordered something. (the aul wan may have preordered Smackdown 2 20 odd years ago :pac: ).

I look forward to the book. Even if it doesn't reveal much new, Mark Tighe and Co deserve however much they are getting from the book for ridding us of that Virus. And hopefully leading to a prosecution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There's folk out there with criminal records for less.

NIMAN wrote: »

Interestingly, under the law of champerty and maintenance, third party funding of litigation may be a crime too.

The arrangement referred to a few posts back, funding his litigation on the basis that he kept any award, is just staggering. They should all be hauled into the spotlight and asked how they acquiesced to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

First time I have ever pre-ordered something. (the aul wan may have preordered Smackdown 2 20 odd years ago :pac: ).

I look forward to the book. Even if it doesn't reveal much new, Mark Tighe and Co deserve however much they are getting from the book for ridding us of that Virus. And hopefully leading to a prosecution.

hopefully it arrives on thursday from Eason's.

I have decided to revert back to normal books from ebooks as i spend enough time reading screens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

To the person suggesting Tighe shouldn’t bring out a book - Tighe and co brought the whole house of cards down, there was a culture around the FAI that asking questions got you frozen out and blacklisted (see Paul Cooke) and trying to expose anything brought expensive litigation, some journos were too scared, some couldn’t take the risk and some were just too bloody lazy to bother, happy to go along with the charade, save your opprobrium for them, moreover save it for Delaney and his cronies.

Tighe and the Sunday Times put a lot on the line to bring this stuff to light defending it in the High Court up against a print deadline, and they deserve everyone’s thanks for doing so, where were the multiple Ministers for Sport, The Sports Council, or the board of the FAI or the bloomin auditors, all of whom were supposed to provide oversight? Instead it was left to the press to blow it open and I doubt Tighe will be retiring off the profits (if any) from releasing this book. I’ll certainly be buying it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

pm1977x wrote: »
    To the person suggesting Tighe shouldn’t bring out a book - Tighe and co brought the whole house of cards down, there was a culture around the FAI that asking questions got you frozen out and blacklisted (see Paul Cooke) and trying to expose anything brought expensive litigation, some journos were too scared, some couldn’t take the risk and some were just too bloody lazy to bother, happy to go along with the charade, save your opprobrium for them, moreover save it for Delaney and his cronies.

Tighe and the Sunday Times put a lot on the line to bring this stuff to light defending it in the High Court up against a print deadline, and they deserve everyone’s thanks for doing so, where were the multiple Ministers for Sport, The Sports Council, or the board of the FAI or the bloomin auditors, all of whom were supposed to provide oversight? Instead it was left to the press to blow it open and I doubt Tighe will be retiring off the profits (if any) from releasing this book. I’ll certainly be buying it though.
    It's the kind of journalism and relatively brave reporting that should be applauded.
    Pre-ordered the book also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Pre-ordered from Easons just now too.

Though I genuinely don't look forward to reading all of the ****e he got away with while in the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

pm1977x wrote: »

I didn't say he shouldn't , I said I thought he might have been opportunistic in bringing it out this way Instead of waiting till the story reached its conclusion. After listening to the interview on Matt Cooper I realise I was wrong in saying so because Delaney would have sued him and probably won.

From my post #4869
    Also I think Mark Tighe might be profiting from this story too in the same way that Paul Williams profits off crime by writing his books.

I could be wrong though. Maybe the profits are going to some cause or other. He has done a great job in exposing the FAI though but the book is a bit opportunistic.

From my post #4874
    I'm not sure what the procedure is with investigative journalism but I imagine the story should have been run through the paper to its conclusion. After that a book could be written on it. I think this has happened with other scandals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I didn't say he shouldn't , I said I thought he might have been opportunistic in bringing it out this way Instead of waiting till the story reached its conclusion. After listening to the interview on Matt Cooper I realise I was wrong in saying so because Delaney would have sued him and probably won.

From my post #4869
    Also I think Mark Tighe might be profiting from this story too in the same way that Paul Williams profits off crime by writing his books.

I could be wrong though. Maybe the profits are going to some cause or other. He has done a great job in exposing the FAI though but the book is a bit opportunistic.

From my post #4874
    I'm not sure what the procedure is with investigative journalism but I imagine the story should have been run through the paper to its conclusion. After that a book could be written on it. I think this has happened with other scandals

I’m saying it’s not opportunistic, he should be applauded and any profits don’t need to go to “a cause” they should go to whoever did the hard work (and book profits tend to be tiny unless it’s a massive long time bestseller). If there’s enough content for a book how many months would it take to get that out in a weekly paper in digestible articles?

Furthermore, Delaney has the ego and deep pockets to fight this through every available court and appeal court which may stretch on for years, so waiting for the conclusion isn’t practical, there may well be another book by him or others at that point, but the story is hot now so makes sense to publish now and for it to be supported by people who want to see risk-taking investigative journalism encouraged, its a sadly dying art in this age of clickbait and copy and paste regurgitation of press releases.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

During the Oireachtas Hearings Fergus O Dowd went out of his way to disrupt or stall any sustained questioning of him.

O'Dowd wasn't protecting Delaney, he was protecting the PAC.

Angela Kerins, of The Rehab Group, was before the PAC in 2014 and she eventually took them to court over their questioning of her. She had to go to The Supreme Court but she her case there showing that they went outside of their remit.

That's why O'Dowd was strict on the questioning of Delaney and the FAI. They could only ask about public money that was given to the FAI.

The Journal did a good article on it.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/oireachtas-committee-kerins-4588817-Apr2019/

I don't think you can blame any of the politicians for what happened at the FAI either, this was all in house. Even if they did know what was going on there was nothing they could do about it.

CatFromHue wrote: »

Angela Kerins, of The Rehab Group, was before the PAC in 2014 and she eventually took them to court over their questioning of her. She had to go to The Supreme Court but she her case there showing that they went outside of their remit.

That's why O'Dowd was strict on the questioning of Delaney and the FAI. They could only ask about public money that was given to the FAI.

I don't think you can blame any of the politicians for what happened at the FAI either, this was all in house. Even if they did know what was going on there was nothing they could do about it.

The PAC angle made it convenient to protect Delaney also.

It was farcical that the PAC were afraid of Delaney's ability to sue due to the very corruption that him in front of the committee in the first place. This was also what enabled Kerins to sue(the very corruption she was accused of).

It shouldn't have been the committee investigating him, it should have been the Gardai.

During the Oireachtas Hearings Fergus O Dowd went out of his way to disrupt or stall any sustained questioning of him.

So many enablers and cheerleaders too including players like Whelan, Houghton, Duff, Dunphy and even Giles.

You've gone from criticising the author of the book exposing Delaney to implying that a politician deliberately frustrated efforts to investigate Delaney...there's a pretty serious innuendo in that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Delaney stank for decades you can blame his mate Bertie Ahern and every minister for sport going back to his fathers time. This is a story of corruption way beyond the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

irishgeo wrote: »
    How the hell did he get away with it?

Because of a whole load of bootlickers.

Some in leagues, some at LoI clubs who wanted to garner favour with him.

Some high up who supported him so they’d be on the gravy train re the Ireland away trips.

Some who supported him so they could hold on to their overpaid jobs in the FAI (FG how are ya?).

And then a whole load of shytebags wanting their selfies with him for a few minutes of social media “glory”, others hanging out of him cos he bought them a few cans.

Hopefully Delaney ends up in court. The shenanigans around the money paid/not paid to his ex to the England games looks well dodgy.

As for the FAI, time to drain the swamp. Anyone and everyone who backed Delaney for whatever reason should be purged out of the association.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think if Delaney walks away from this scot free its a clear signal that white collar crime in Ireland was never tackled after the crash and we're liable to see it to happen all over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm just worried that there is nothing illegal they can pin on him to charge him with anything.

I have no doubt he will walk around scot free from the mess he made of Irish soccer, but I just hope his life is hell for the rest of his time, and that he gets all the abuse he deserves every time he shows his face in public.

You've gone from criticising the author of the book exposing Delaney to implying that a politician deliberately frustrated efforts to investigate Delaney...there's a pretty serious innuendo in that...

I've said I was wrong in saying Mark Tighe was opportunistic. After listening to the interview I don't think he could have written more without Delaney suing him and possibly burying all stories as a result so the book is the best option.

Given that the Oireachtas Committee knew they could be sued why put Delaney in front of an Oireachtas committee in the first place. Politicians wanted him there because they knew questions could be restricted. They did not want him in front of the Gardai/Law.

Delaney was there for 15 years and plenty partied with him. He has plenty of dirt to throw.

Remember he had a lot of influence and brought Denis O Brien in as a sponsor. He was in with Pat Hickey and the IOC and on
    FIFA. He rubbed shoulders with a lot of powerful people. Politicians thought he was useful for them and looked the other way and because they did they want the story to away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

The f**er is lucky he can live his life as an anonymous nobody in England.
    I don't agree with accosting people in public places, but I don't think I could pass him on the street without saying something.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Delaney stank for decades you can blame his mate Bertie Ahern and every minister for sport going back to his fathers time.

I don't know anything about his relationship with Bertie but Delaney was an FAI appointed person who was meant to answer to the FAI, not the Minister for Sport.

The blame starts and ends with the FAI imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I don't know anything about his relationship with Bertie but Delaney was an FAI appointed person who was meant to answer to the FAI, not the Minister for Sport.

The blame starts and ends with the FAI imo.
    how old are you? were you over 11 years of age in the 90's

I'm just worried that there is nothing illegal they can pin on him to charge him with anything.

I have no doubt he will walk around scot free from the mess he made of Irish soccer, but I just hope his life is hell for the rest of his time, and that he gets all the abuse he deserves every time he shows his face in public.

Money that was allegedly meant to go to his ex for arranging the England games (lols galore, what?) ended up in his account and she has denied all knowledge of it.

I'd be interested if anyone in finance or legal could put a name on that action.

Given that the Oireachtas Committee knew they could be sued why put Delaney in front of an Oireachtas committee in the first place. Politicians wanted him there because they knew questions could be restricted. They did not want him in front of the Gardai/Law.

Delaney was there for 15 years and plenty partied with him. He has plenty of dirt to throw.

Huh?

You're saying he was brought before the Public Accounts Committee because they knew that forum had a limited jurisdiction, but they wanted to protect him and it would frustrate any efforts to prosecute him for any offence?

That...makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Huh?

You're saying he was brought before the Public Accounts Committee because they knew that forum had a limited jurisdiction, but they wanted to protect him and it would frustrate any efforts to prosecute him for any offence?

That...makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

They had to be seen to do something. The committee was ideal because only limited questions could be asked. It satisfied public anger at the time to a limited extent.

The FAI go to the PAC regularly enough. It just happened that they were due after the 100K story broke.

I think the FAI's performance at it, and Delaney's in particular, really showed them up for what they were. They went there to not answer questions and to be as difficult as possible. They know how the PAC works and were shown to have gone out of their way to time waste.

The FAI go to the PAC regularly enough. It just happened that they were due after the 100K story broke.

I think the FAI's performance at it, and Delaney's in particular, really showed them up for what they were. They went there to not answer questions and to be as difficult as possible. They know how the PAC works and were shown to have gone out of their way to time waste.

The point you made above is correct.

They were helped in this by Fergus O Dowd repeatedly adjourning or intervening to prevent questions + gombeens like Michael Healy Rea getting their speak in.

I remember watching it and waiting for the hard questions to be asked but it just petered out.

No momentum was allowed build so Delaney remained comfortable during it and didn't make any mistakes.

The PAC can only ask about govt money, anything else it's out of their remit and Delaney could sue.

I think he showed up to the PAC with Kerrins legal team too, so just letting it know as soon as he walked in what his plan was.

The PAC can only ask about govt money, anything else it's out of their remit and Delaney could sue.

I think he showed up to the PAC with Kerrins legal team too, so just letting it know as soon as he walked in what his plan was.

Do you know where the investigation stands at the moment or is there one?

For me the problem with the PAC was and is that it's useless, because it's made up of politicians who are known more for thick necks than for intelligence. I don't think there was any conscious attempt to aid Delaney or the FAI, but obviously only Jonathan O'Brien and a couple of others had done any real analysis, knew the brief, and were able to ask hard questions. Sure what would Michael Healy Rae know about soccer in this country, he'd only know Delaney as the man who came down and shook hands when this pitch or that dressing room was opened. He wouldn't know the "they always cheat, they always lie" side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I doubt MHR was ever going to call him to account even if he knew full well what was going on.

Is there an actual Garda investigation on going in this case or where does it stand? Surely fraud, champtery and the breaking of other company laws must be under investigation here?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

In case anyone needs some nostalgic cheering up about all this, hit Delaney in the head with a tennis ball. Personal best is 15!

Fianna Fail wanted Delaney in 2007-08. A Minister asked him to join when they were both in Croke Park.
    https://amp.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/fianna-fail-approached-fai-boss-john-delaney-to-run-for-the-dail-30570612.html?__twitter_impression=true

Assuming the Minister was there in an Official capacity it was likely to be one of these, either John O Donoghue, Seamus Brennan or Martin Cullen. They were Ministers for Sport around that time. More likely to be Brennan or Cullen as Donoghues time was up in 2007.

To think that Saipan and the Genesis report led to an even worse outcome.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/keane-proven-right-over-saipan-fiasco-26245297.html

The Genesis report was commissioned by the FAI as an independent root-and-branch examination of the Mick McCarthy/Roy Keane row and the circumstances which gave rise to the tensions that erupted into a full-scale war between manager and captain on the tiny Pacific island of Saipan.

The officer board of the association general secretary Brendan Menton and key elected officials Milo Corcoran, John Delaney, Kevin Fahy and David Blood met at Kilkea Castle, where they were handed a copy of the report and sat through an oral presentation with slides.

You believe him?

Didn't he always trot out about being head hunted by huge companies and putting up with his small salary in the FAI.

He canvassed for now Labour leader Alan Kelly.

The more accurate way of describing that is "Delaney claims FF wanted him".

Though they would be well suited on so many levels.

Delaney also claimed he was offered a job paying a million euro a year.

I always found that one hard to believe. What has he ever done in his career that would make somebody offer him that sort of money?

You believe him?

Didn't he always trot out about being head hunted by huge companies and putting up with his small salary in the FAI.

He canvassed for now Labour leader Alan Kelly.
    Zebra3 wrote: »
    The more accurate way of describing that is "Delaney claims FF wanted him".

Though they would be well suited on so many levels.

Delaney also claimed he was offered a job paying a million euro a year.

I always found that one hard to believe. What has he ever done in his career that would make somebody offer him that sort of money?

I don't believe him but that doesn't mean it didn't happen

He always justified his salary by saying he could make so much more elsewhere. I wonder what heads of state used to think of his salary when they net him at various sporting functions.

His Salary even dwarfed the CEOs of the big football associations like Germany,Spain and England etc. Amazing considering Ireland had a part time/semi pro league for most of his time and the National Team relied on 2nd and 3rd generation players from abroad.

Can you imagine him as a Politician on the rise and then a Minister. The people he'd walk over and the endless side deals. Jesus he'd want it all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

MOD NOTE: We have seen some recent posts that include accusations of ignoring alleged corrupt activity and protection offered by specific people or groups, this should not happen without evidence to back it up.

If you want to give your opinion do so, but accusations without evidence or sources are not acceptable.

Do not reply to this note on thread

In this case though it's more a reflection on O Neill. Hes a petty individual and far too precious.

It's probably the only occasion where Delaney isn't primarily to blame.

An FAI source empathized with O’Neill. “He hadn’t done this at Celtic or Leicester, so he just thought, ‘Why do I have to do this now?’” the source says.

In this case though it's more a reflection on O Neill. Hes a petty individual and far too precious.

An FAI source empathized with O’Neill. “He hadn’t done this at Celtic or Leicester, so he just thought, ‘Why do I have to do this now?’” the source says.

I think if it was in his contract and/or he was getting paid, it would be very precious.

But for a man in his 60s, who wasn't told about the ad in advance (and not clearing it with him seems like yet another screw up) and wasn't obliged to do it, or getting paid, he's entitled to say "I'm beyond this nonsense, it's not for me".

He was handed the script the day before filming commenced.

That's the FAI's fault.

And we all know who was in charge of the FAI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

(Paraphrasing) "At a crucial moment, Delaney couldn't be contacted because he was at the Galway races".

Shows he didn't even take his job too seriously. He wasn't available if it got in the way of his fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

https://www.killarneyadvertiser.ie/kerry-soccer-chief-rejects-claims-that-league-breached-covid-restrictions/

'O’Regan denies claims that he charged an admission fee of €5 at the Premier A League Final between Killarney Athletic and Killarney Celtic, a match that was supposed to be played behind closed doors in line with COVID-19 restrictions.

He also rejects suggestions that upwards of 180 people were at the league decider, stating that the initial accusations were made by someone with a “personal vendetta” which stems from O’Regan’s friendship with disgraced former FAI CEO John Delaney.'

I think if it was in his contract and/or he was getting paid, it would be very precious.

But for a man in his 60s, who wasn't told about the ad in advance (and not clearing it with him seems like yet another screw up) and wasn't obliged to do it, or getting paid, he's entitled to say "I'm beyond this nonsense, it's not for me".

He was being paid plenty as it was and for very little. Never took training or practiced tactics or team shape before a game. He was there for the loot just like Delaney. He had no problem courting Stoke City and he would have dropped us in a second if they said yes.

If age was a problem what was he doing near the team. Btw Keane is a hungry ****er too and would mouth every story to Off the Ball and Sky for a few quid.
    He was handed the script the day before filming commenced.

That's the FAI's fault.

And we all know who was in charge of the FAI.

Didn't spot that it was the day before but I can't see why the script itself would be a problem as it was only a skit. Given what Martin himself was getting out of the FAI(big bucks when no English league club wanted him) he could have put himself out a bit.

He was being paid plenty as it was and for very little. Never took training or practiced tactics or team shape before a game. He was there for the loot just like Delaney. He had no problem courting Stoke City and he would have dropped us in a second if they said yes.

If age was a problem what was he doing near the team. Btw Keane is a hungry ****er too and would mouth every story to Off the Ball and Sky for a few quid.

Oh you won't find me disagreeing about Keane.

In fact one obvious corollary to the entire s**tshow is that, when he was a non paid player, Keane bailed on a World Cup over protests about the FAI's incompetence, but when they were paying him money he was happy to work away with them. And we'd know for all image, you'd get him to wear a leprechaun suit and run around with Gary Linekar if a cheque was involved.

And I have criticised O'Neill plenty of times. But I kinda get someone saying that was not part of the (admittedly very well paid) job description.

Oh you won't find me disagreeing about Keane.

In fact one obvious corollary to the entire s**tshow is that, when he was a non paid player, Keane bailed on a World Cup over protests about the FAI's incompetence, but when they were paying him money he was happy to work away with them. And we'd know for all image, you'd get him to wear a leprechaun suit and run around with Gary Linekar if a cheque was involved.

And I have criticised O'Neill plenty of times. But I kinda get someone saying that was not part of the (admittedly very well paid) job description.

I'm not having a go at you. I just think O Neill could have put himself out.

I think the three of them Delaney, O Neill and Keane were milking it.

Although Trappatoni and Brady got well paid I didn't get the same feeling from them but then again it's a pro game and money is God to a lot in the game.

Btw are you sure Keane wasn't being paid in Saipan?

Asking the manager to do an ad is perfectly fine and the manager should do it.

Asking the manager to play a part in ad that makes him intentionally look like a prick is not perfectly fine and the manager shouldn't do it.

He's not an actor or a comedian looking for work. He's a football manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Whether it's fine to ask or not fine, a competent organisation would have had all this sorted out, go or no go, by the first draft of the script stage. It's mind-boggling that they let it get to the stage where the sponsor had not only committed large sums of cash filming it but booked the ad slots too, before forcing them to pull out. Then p*ssing on whatever possibility was left of a future commercial arrangement by trying to hold on to their cash!

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Asking the manager to play a part in ad that makes him intentionally look like a prick is not perfectly fine and the manager shouldn't do it.

Should have just aired one of his interviews, would have had the same desired effect.

Should have just aired one of his interviews, would have had the same desired effect.

Yes Martin had a bit of the Jim Sheridan about him in interviews particularly with Tony O Donoghue

He'd then show up later on BBC etc and do the laughey jokey smart alec routine

• Advertisement
Advertisement