Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Form 11 and residence abroad?

• 22-11-2018 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Going through form 11 now and noticed the Revenue is asking for residence, ordinary residence and domicile status with the option to select abroad for any of these. Does this make any sense? I thought self-employed people living abroad should be registered for tax in their own country.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

brdst3r wrote: »
    Going through form 11 now and noticed the Revenue is asking for residence, ordinary residence and domicile status with the option to select abroad for any of these. Does this make any sense? I thought self-employed people living abroad should be registered for tax in their own country.

What if they have the likes of Irish rental income😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭dennyk

There are many circumstances where someone who isn't resident, ordinarily resident, or domiciled in Ireland might need to file a Form 11. It's not just for self-employed Irish residents, it's for anyone who might be liable for Irish taxes, such as foreigners who operate a business in Ireland or performed any work for an Irish employer in Ireland, folks living abroad making income from rental properties, people outside the country who have disposed of Irish assets and are thus liable for CGT, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ant331

I might be in a similar situation. Registered as a Self employed with Revenue but moved abroad. Is it better to deregister (think it's form TRCN1) or keep filling form 11 while working abroad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭relax carry on

ant331 wrote: »
    I might be in a similar situation. Registered as a Self employed with Revenue but moved abroad. Is it better to deregister (think it's form TRCN1) or keep filling form 11 while working abroad?

If you are non resident, are no longer self employed in Ireland and have no Taxable income/gains in Ireland then deregister. Ensure you advise Revenue of your residence status and update your address with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,143 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's also possible to be resident and self employed in ireland but not domiciled here.

Reading their description while doing my form 11 was kinda scary. I ended up ticking domiciled, even though technically it may not be quite true 🀔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭relax carry on

With the increasing sharing of information between tax authorities worldwide residence and domicile information is becoming far more transparent and important in ensuring the completeness of a country's tax take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

It's also possible to be resident and self employed in ireland but not domiciled here.

Reading their description while doing my form 11 was kinda scary. I ended up ticking domiciled, even though technically it may not be quite true 🀔

My understanding, which might be incorrect, is that residency trumps domicile. If there’s no residency you default to domicile. ( an Irish person who travels the world for a few years while earning some form of taxable income would be domiciled in Ireland).

Of course the rich just go to a low tax regime.

Advertisement