If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

update TV

Options
  • 22-11-2018 12:53am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭

OK, so anno domini is catching up with the configuration we have here, we had an ancient 5.1 Mustek sound system that worked well, but a power cut fried the power supply, so that's no longer working, and the TV, 42" Toshiba Regza, not sure what model, is starting to look dark on some programs, and it's at pretty much the high end of all the settings, so I suspect that it's not going to be long before it's in need of replacement. 
    Main input at present is SKY+ HD, via HDMI, and through separate box, we have Freesat and Saorview, which comes in handy when there's a clash on the SKY scheduling, which is becoming a more common event.

Size limitation is that the width cannot be more than 1200mm, due to the (new) unit that it's going in to, so that would seem to mean that 50" is our top limit, and given the room size, that's about right. 

Struggling to make sense of the comparisons, as they don't always tie up too well, I get the impression that if I want sat and digital terrestrial, that steers me towards LG,

As far as sound is concerned, I can replace the Mustek with a Samsung HT-F4500 which is a 5.1 Blue ray system that should do all I need, and it has ARC, so I am presuming that as long as the new TV also has ARC, that will simplify things, if not, I can use optical sound from the Sky box, and yes, I'm aware that to get the best out of the new set, I am going to have to get an upgrade to the Q system from Sky, I've been holding off on that as it wasn't needed so far, and it will complicate my wiring, as I have a multi Switch that's not compatible with the Q LNB system, so that will need some "negotiation" with Sky to ensure that our non sky box still works. 

So, to sets.

I've seen 3 LG's that all seem to tick most boxes, but even an on line compare is hard to make sense of, as the different sets use different terms.

The 3 LG sets are LG 49UK6400PLF, LG 50UK6750PLD and LG 49SK8100PLA, as far as I can see they are all 4K, so I am guessing it's down to the specifics of the extras they have. Given our viewing pattern,which of the LG's would you recommend, or if appropriate, is there another make that will give us sat and terrestrial, work OK with Sky, and with the surround sound system that I have here. 

We're north of Dublin, so collect is not an issue, and ideally, Sterling rather than Euro, as we have a recent gift from a family member, and changing it to Euro doesn't make too much sense at the moment with the way the rates are.

Thanks

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Steve,

..if only all questions were so easy :D

You are correct in that LG has become the default 'go to' Brand for Saorview/ Satellite combi tuners ( even tho' switching between tuners is a little clunky at first) - all the variants you mention will suit you fine, the 6400 series are excellent value, the 6750 gives you a significant quality step-up, but the 49SK8100 is really a top notch TV - it has the Alpha 7 processor which makes for far better motion processing than the 6400 / 6750... 

If you only buy a TV every few years and you can stretch to it I would recommend the 8100 series.

In terms of payment, no problem - we advertise both sterling and Euro pricing ( the 49SK8100 is actually probably better value at the moment in Euro as its just €679 including delivery & our 6 year warranty) and you can always pay in either Euro or sterling whichever suits you better..

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

(Please note our responses may not be as quick as we would like in the busy Black Friday / Christmas period – apologies in advance)

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

John,

Thanks for that, I will be looking at it with the other person that's affected later today, and take it from there.

Appreciate the clear answer, it helps

All the best

Steve

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

No probs Irish - Keep us posted!

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

John,

Order placed, and I've sent you a PM relating to some of the details on the delivery address.

Many thanks for the help, hope you have a good Friday

Best regards

Steve

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

John,

Order placed, and I've sent you a PM relating to some of the details on the delivery address.

Many thanks for the help, hope you have a good Friday

Best regards

Steve
    Hi Irish Steve.

Thanks for the order :D

• Advertisement

Can't argue with that, courier arrived on the doorstep a little while ago with a BIG box, thanks for a fast service, wasn't expecting it quite this soon given the weekend that was in it.

I've no excuses now to not get the room it's going in to decorated. Ce la Vie.

Thanks for a good service, and for good support in making the decision.

Best regards

Steve

Can't argue with that, courier arrived on the doorstep a little while ago with a BIG box, thanks for a fast service, wasn't expecting it quite this soon given the weekend that was in it.

Best regards

Steve
    Cheers again for the order Steve.

Excellent news that it has arrived and within good time.

Drop us a little post once you up and running to let us know what you think of it :)

Best regards

Steve

Drop us a little post once you up and running to let us know what you think of it :)
    I will indeed let you know how we get on with it, but there will be a bit of a delay while the room gets decorated, the units put in, and the walls channelled for the surround sound speaker cables, it's long overdue.

Thanks

Steve

Best regards

Steve

I will indeed let you know how we get on with it, but there will be a bit of a delay while the room gets decorated, the units put in, and the walls channelled for the surround sound speaker cables, it's long overdue.

Thanks

Steve
    No worries at all Steve.

Could I ask that you open and inspect the television to make sure there is no damage (Just in case) If it was damaged and you opened it in say a months time there would be nothing we could do down to the time that would have passed to report anything wrong with the delivery.

Hope that makes sense.

Best regards

Steve

Thanks

Steve
    No worries at all Steve.

Could I ask that you open and inspect the television to make sure there is no damage (Just in case) If it was damaged and you opened it in say a months time there would be nothing we could do down to the time that would have passed to report anything wrong with the delivery.

Hope that makes sense.
    Makes total sense, I will check the set out before we start the work in the room, a spare HDMI cable to the sky box, and a couple of pieces of coax and that will sort the tuners with no great hardship.

• Advertisement

Best regards

Steve

Thanks

Steve
    No worries at all Steve.

Hope that makes sense.
    Makes total sense, I will check the set out before we start the work in the room, a spare HDMI cable to the sky box, and a couple of pieces of coax and that will sort the tuners with no great hardship.
    No problem at all Steve.

Kenny,

Tested, Saorview, Sat and Sky box working, though finding my way around the magic remote is "interesting", and the LG set up information is a little sparse, but it's working, and the picture quality is very much what I was hoping for, even on a HD Sky box, the Saorview picture is excellent, and so are the Ultra demonstration channels via the set tuner off Astra. Casting from a Lenovo laptop to the set didn't work as expected, if failed for some reason, but I've not actually checked to see if there are any on line updates for the set yet, which would be my first port of call.

If I can, I'm going to talk to you at some stage before too long about what LG sound bars are appropriate for this set, (49SK8100 to save you looking it up) I was looking at several in another place earlier today, and there are some useful options with them, like a wireless sub woofer, which gets power from a socket, losing that behind a 2 seater settee would be very helpful and would mean I could avoid some wall chasing. Depends on what's available, suitable and the pricing.

Thanks again, very pleased with your recommendation.

Best regards

Steve

Kenny,

Tested, Saorview, Sat and Sky box working, though finding my way around the magic remote is "interesting", and the LG set up information is a little sparse, but it's working, and the picture quality is very much what I was hoping for, even on a HD Sky box, the Saorview picture is excellent, and so are the Ultra demonstration channels via the set tuner off Astra. Casting from a Lenovo laptop to the set didn't work as expected, if failed for some reason, but I've not actually checked to see if there are any on line updates for the set yet, which would be my first port of call.

If I can, I'm going to talk to you at some stage before too long about what LG sound bars are appropriate for this set, (49SK8100 to save you looking it up) I was looking at several in another place earlier today, and there are some useful options with them, like a wireless sub woofer, which gets power from a socket, losing that behind a 2 seater settee would be very helpful and would mean I could avoid some wall chasing. Depends on what's available, suitable and the pricing.

Thanks again, very pleased with your recommendation.

Best regards

Steve
    Hey Steve.

Glad you are up and running and enjoying your new TV :D

There are many options for soundbars depending on budget.

The LG SJ8 priced at £249
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-202563-lg-sj8-soundbar.aspx

The SK9Y priced at £699
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203307-lg-sk9y-5-1-2-ch-high-res-audio-soundbar-with-dolby-atmos.aspx

Yamaha have has some very good reviews on there YAS207 retialing at £249
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-202832-yamaha-yas207-soundbar-system.aspx

Their new Musiccast Bar 400 priced at £499
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203613-yamaha-musiccast-bar-400-soundbar.aspx

Let me know if any of the above might suit.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.