Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Washing machine feed damaged

• 22-11-2018 2:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Iv a damaged feed under my kitchen tiles over to my washing machine, it’s a 15mm qualpex pipe with a fairly large pinhole, I have it knocked off via a penny valve under the sink, my plan is to cut out the damaged section and put in a straight through coupler, bag it, cement it and retile it.
    I’m just looking for recommendations on the best type of coupler to use, I’m thinking a compression coupler as seen in link

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/pegler-prestex-px40-straight-compression-coupling-15mm.html

I’m looking for most reliable as don’t want to have to come back to the joint. And another question is a brass olive required with above coupler when using qualpex.
    Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Where is the washing machine in relation to the sink?.Can you put a new pipe above ground under the kitchen units?
    If buying a brass 310 fitting,the olive will come with it.you will need 2 pipe inserts too.you probably need 1/2" 310,not 15mm 310

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭J.R.

TheBully wrote: »
    Iv a damaged feed under my kitchen tiles over to my washing machine, it’s a 15mm qualpex pipe with a fairly large pinhole, I have it knocked off via a penny valve under the sink, my plan is to cut out the damaged section and put in a straight through coupler, bag it, cement it and retile it.
    I’m just looking for recommendations on the best type of coupler to use, I’m thinking a compression coupler as seen in link

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/pegler-prestex-px40-straight-compression-coupling-15mm.html

I’m looking for most reliable as don’t want to have to come back to the joint. And another question is a brass olive required with above coupler when using qualpex.
    Thanks guys

If under tiles - when you cut out the damaged part it may be very tight to get the two pipe ends into new fitting...especially if there is no give - if pipe cemented down.
    You could use one of these - longer so gives more flexibility

85529_P

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/compression-repair-fitting-15-x-100mm.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭TECH85

You could feed a 10mm through the 1/2" qualpex .
    Save having to rip up and then patch floors after..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

TECH85 wrote: »
    You could feed a 10mm through the 1/2" qualpex .
    Save having to rip up and then patch floors after..

Great idea, it’s a 10m run though so could be fairly hard squeeze through, it runs under the tiles under the kitchen cabinet for about half the run then crosses the kitchen to the utility.
    If I thought I could get a 10mm qualpex through that would save so much hassle as I don’t have any spare tiles and would save all the messing.

J.R. wrote: »
    If under tiles - when you cut out the damaged part it may be very tight to get the two pipe ends into new fitting...especially if there is no give - if pipe cemented down.
    You could use one of these - longer so gives more flexibility

85529_P

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/compression-repair-fitting-15-x-100mm.html
    That does look the job as I have an awful feeling it will be tight

• Advertisement

agusta wrote: »
    Where is the washing machine in relation to the sink?.Can you put a new pipe above ground under the kitchen units?
    If buying a brass 310 fitting,the olive will come with it.you will need 2 pipe inserts too.you probably need 1/2" 310,not 15mm 310

Pipe inserts? Are the fittings above not push on and tighten?
    Prob a silly question but I’m not a plumber I’m a spark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Pipe inserts? Are the fittings above not push on and tighten?
    Prob a silly question but I’m not a plumber I’m a spark

No, compression fittings need inserts and should not be overtightened either or you'll risk a weeping joint. While running a 10mm pipe through the existing pipe sounds like a good idea be careful: some of the newer machines are very sensitive to water pressure/ volumes available, even if the current machine is ok the next one might have problems with reduced flow.

No, compression fittings need inserts and should not be overtightened either or you'll risk a weeping joint. While running a 10mm pipe through the existing pipe sounds like a good idea be careful: some of the newer machines are very sensitive to water pressure/ volumes available, even if the current machine is ok the next one might have problems with reduced flow.
    Thanks for that, learn something new everyday. Decision to be made so, I’m still leaning towards putting the 10mm through but think it might fail to push through so I’m gonna order the few bits to do the joint and go with that if option one fails.

You absolutely need inserts with qualpex pipe
    https://www.goodwins.ie/products/Qualpex-Inserts-1-2-inch.html

You push fit it into the bore of the pipe

You absolutely need inserts with qualpex pipe
    https://www.goodwins.ie/products/Qualpex-Inserts-1-2-inch.html

You push fit it into the bore of the pipe

Thank you, I’ll order the few bits now

• Advertisement

Thank you, I’ll order the few bits now
    Is your house a bungalow or two story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

Can you not disconnect this pipe at both ends and run a new pipe hidden above ground?

Is your house a bungalow or two story

It’s a 2 story semi d

1874 wrote: »
    Can you not disconnect this pipe at both ends and run a new pipe hidden above ground?

Not possible as it runs across kitchen floor into a utility

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Can you drop down a new pipe from above?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    Can you drop down a new pipe from above?
    Not really, there is a second pipe there for a hot water feed which I presume is coming from hot press. Could I do a job with this and get a mains supply onto it from hot press?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭dathi

Advertisement