Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SALES!!!! What should I panic buy?

Options
  • 22-11-2018 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭

System: oc'd I7 3770k, 16gb ram gtx 1060 oc'd. Main monitor 1080P ASUS VG248QE 24" 144hz

15% off ebay sitewide so I'm going to splurge on something yolo etc etc. What would you buy:

GTX 1070
    GTX 1070ti
    A 1440p monitor (I appreciate the 1060 is underpowered and would need an upgrade)
    A 1080p G sync monitor

Stuff what I play. Overwatch mainly. Enjoying Ass Creed as well right now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Really feels like diminishing returns on most of this, other than a 1440p 144hz monitor. The 1060 would easily push it for a while once you lower your graphics down a notch (benchmarks are always ultra settings which suit a GTX1070+ at this res).

GSync is pretty great and would hide a lot of the frame dips that might come with using the 1060.

People seem to really like this one (price is good, but it's a TN panel): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-S2716DG-Anti-Glare-LED-backlit-Response/dp/B01784K78A?th=1

This is what I have (is a really nice IPS panel): https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017EVR2VM/ref=psdc_428652031_t3_B01784K78A?th=1

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

While Gsync is great and all if your getting close to 144fps on your 144hz monitor then the stuff that gsync works its magic on ie tearing etc is not as evident with framerate is high so that might be worth keeping in mind.
    But having said that i had an amazing AOC 1080P 1444hz gsync monitor that i would highly recommend if your sticking with 1080P gaming.

I now have a 1440P 144hz gsync monitor but you need some serious hardware to push close to 144fps , in fairness anything 90+ is butter smooth but ideally you will need very good spec to power it.

I went from 1080P gsync to 1440P gsync and played games on low/medium settings until i got spec good enough to power 144P 144hz fully.

I had a 2500K and GTX970 and easily ran Overwatch on medium settings close to 144fps , your spec is even better than that so no worries there to get you by for a while.

Id go with the Dell mentioned , i have ot myself sitting beside an IPS monitor and i can tell you now colours look amazing almost as good as the IPS but performance and build quality is off the charts with the Dell.

Heres a quick recording using my phone mounted on steering wheel of some assetto corsa , as noted by many on boards simracing forum and other forums the colours are excellent for a TN.

Thats would be my recommendation, go with it now and upgrade rig later on when you play more demanding games.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

At current prices, get a Vega 56 or 1070 Ti

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Is 1440p the future? I was looking at a random Linus video and he had 3 monitors 1080,1440 and 4k and blind testing his staff they all dismissed the 1080p monitor visuals as a bit **** (hz was a different matter but visually they hated the 1080p but struggled between 1440 and 4k).

Would it then make sense to just super treat myself and get a 1440p monitor with a 1070? I just don't know know if I can mentally stretch to the price point of those monitors above though. I can afford one but in my head that's crazy money for a monitor. I had a hard enough time convincing myself to get that 144hz monitor even if I did enjoy the results. Is a lower hz 1440p monitor still worth it or now that I'm used to 144hz I'll just be sad??

Having said that Ass creed currently chugs at 60ish fps and I'd be lying if I said I really notice but that's a very different game to an FPS.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

How much are you willing to spend? If you want to go full YOLO there was a pretty good price of around £465 on a 2070 posted yesterday and Battlefield V comes free with it too. Would be a much more worthwhile upgrade on a 1060 than a 1070 imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Is 1440p the future? I was looking at a random Linus video and he had 3 monitors 1080,1440 and 4k and blind testing his staff they all dismissed the 1080p monitor visuals as a bit **** (hz was a different matter but visually they hated the 1080p but struggled between 1440 and 4k).

Would it then make sense to just super treat myself and get a 1440p monitor with a 1070? I just don't know know if I can mentally stretch to the price point of those monitors above though. I can afford one but in my head that's crazy money for a monitor. I had a hard enough time convincing myself to get that 144hz monitor even if I did enjoy the results. Is a lower hz 1440p monitor still worth it or now that I'm used to 144hz I'll just be sad??

Having said that Ass creed currently chugs at 60ish fps and I'd be lying if I said I really notice but that's a very different game to an FPS.

Personally i can never go back to 60 hz, id go back to 1080P easier especially 1080P 24" monitor, anything bigger would look poor.

4K doesnt look much better than 1440P to me, its diminishing returns really 1440P is the sweetspot for 27" or even bigger id say.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    How much are you willing to spend? If you want to go full YOLO there was a pretty good price of around £465 on a 2070 posted yesterday and Battlefield V comes free with it too. Would be a much more worthwhile upgrade on a 1060 than a 1070 imo.

I saw some reasonably priced 2070s alright but I thought everyone was sort of deciding they weren't necessarily worth the money?

When I bought the 144hz monitor it was just under 300e and that was about what I'm happy spending on a monitor. Having a look online there and perhaps I'm deluded about 1440p monitors price points.

Dcully wrote: »
    Personally i can never go back to 60 hz, id go back to 1080P easier especially 1080P 24" monitor, anything bigger would look poor.

4K doesnt look much better than 1440P to me, its diminishing returns really 1440P is the sweetspot for 27" or even bigger id say.

So if I'm not willing to splurge quite so much on a good 1440p monitor then it perhaps makes more sense to just get a nice middle of the road gfx card? I've discounted the Vega56 as it seems to come in behind the 1070 in the benches and also seems to be power hungry and hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If i had to chose just one, in that setup I'd chose a new card to really drive that 144hz display.

You can get a GTX1070Ti for about £360 new, good card and big upgrade without totally smashing the bank.

If you can afford the RTX2070 it's a) faster and b) comes with BF5 so not as horrid value as it was, but still overpriced.

Vega 56 is also about £350 new for a decent model, good performance and comes with 3 incredibly good new games (Resi 2, Division 2, DMC 5).....though I'd certainly take almost any model 1070Ti over V56 unless you absolutely wanted all 3 games.

Monitor wise, couldn't go wrong either if you decided to make the leap to 1440p 144hz, problem there is that the 1060 is really not up to the task at all, though it'd be grand at Overwatch 1440p ultra at about 80-100fps from experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

OH FYI we've all misread the AMD promotion.
    It's 2 games out of 3 from Resi 2 HD, DMC5 & Division 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think people were misreading it in relation to the RX cards, but for Vega it's all three titles.

It'd be hard to expect AMD to take a hit on 3 $50 titles on a card that costs little more than that in the RX570 and 580!

Advertisement